Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #1201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauletticusJ View Post
I have never used it in coffee because I prefer the rich thick flavor that only real cream can give me. I just like the Silk Coconut milk as a beverage.

Besides, coconut coffee sounds strange to me...
Paulette - I put coconut DaVinci and cream in cold coffee, blend with ice -- yummy coconut coollatta!

Also, you're looking good girl, congratulations!

No change for me today, just popped in to catch up on all the posts. Onward and downward everyone!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 08-03-2014 at 05:39 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #1202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catr31
Stats: 205/169/145
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Restarted 1/3/14
Eating didn't quite go as planned today, too much processed stuff. I was out of eggs so had some salami and cheese for breakfast before going grocery shopping. Because I have been neglecting it, my housework took most of the afternoon and I skipped lunch. Dinner was brats and 4 slices of cucumber.

I have been feeling pretty bloated but that's because TOM is due tomorrow. The great thing is that normally my PMS symptoms are way worse. No weight gain so far this month.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #1203
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: krissakris
WOE: Low-Carb Something of Another...
Thx Sherlock! I made one w 8oz water, 2 yolks 2tbsp heavy cream 2 Splenda tspb of cinammon.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #1204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherlocklabs
Stats: 320+/247/130
WOE: Atkins 72, LCHF ~ Clean Eating Only
Start Date: Restart: 6/29/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
Yeah we don't do NET carbs. For us A '72 Lifers and those of us highly carb sensitive - a carb is a carb is a carb. So we count all carbs...
Gotcha My bad ... Brain lapse
Old 08-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #1205
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neener207
Stats: 220/189/145
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 22 2014
Net carbs never ever worked for me. I suppose it would be good to try once I get to the maintenance phase.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #1206
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissakris View Post
Thx Sherlock! I made one w 8oz water, 2 yolks 2tbsp heavy cream 2 Splenda tspb of cinammon.
Your welcome... Whatcha think?? Drinking one is the closest to skipping a meal that I can do at this point.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #1207
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinnycj
Stats: 188/155/120
WOE: Atkins 72 hardcore
Start Date: June 2014
Quote:
Lessons are really HARD to learn doing this WOE, there's not much wiggle room for mistakes... that's one of the hardest parts about this...

I agree with you about the boxed Jell-O mix -- it's just boil water and mix. The added benefits are lovely, BUT since we are on a meat WOE, we are getting our share and OTHER peeps share of protein so we don't have to worry about getting all the amino acids we need for good health.

Americans have never been lacking getting protein, funny how Big Food companies are fortifying foods that never had protein before with protein NOW... it's the new "buzz" word for health, like oats was years ago...
You got that right no wiggle room at all! I don't mind though I can stick to it. As you said "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" I honestly love that quote.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #1208
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catr31 View Post
Eating didn't quite go as planned today, too much processed stuff. I was out of eggs so had some salami and cheese for breakfast before going grocery shopping. Because I have been neglecting it, my housework took most of the afternoon and I skipped lunch. Dinner was brats and 4 slices of cucumber.

I have been feeling pretty bloated but that's because TOM is due tomorrow. The great thing is that normally my PMS symptoms are way worse. No weight gain so far this month.
Just sweep today under the rug and get back on plan tomorrow. I know it is hard when you start running out of foods. I just plan my meals a week ahead and that way I don't run out of something.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:39 AM   #1209
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAmy View Post
You actually do? I thought the "milking almonds" conversation was some sort of inside joke! That is amazing, Jo. Is it fussy to do?

(The davinci syrups seem to have artificial sweetners which I can't have.)
@ inside joke. No you really can milk your own almonds and it's de'lish. I don't think it's fussy to do, IMHO and it's just raw almonds & water. I would not do it with cheesecloth because the Nut Milk bag is so easy to use and clean afterward...

Here are a few pointers that I've learned since I started making this:

1) Originally the recipe said steep the almonds, it's not necessary, I couldn't tell the difference and it saves you time -- so I took it out.

2) Try to soak your almonds 2 days

3) Don't process more than 1/3 c of almonds at a time, it just doesn't work well if you plan to make more than 3 c of almond milk.

4) Get the Nut Milk Bag (ordered mine from Amazon) if you plan to do this more than once, it's way easier to use than cheesecloth and cleaning it afterward is a breeze.

Homemade Almond Milk

Ingredients:
1 cup (1/3 lb.) raw almonds

Honey, sugar, agave syrup, or maple syrup, to taste (optional)

Vanilla Extract, to taste (optional)

Procedure:

Place the almonds in a bowl and cover with about an inch of water. They will plump as they absorb water. Let stand, uncovered, overnight (10-12 hours) or up to 2 days. The longer the almonds soak, the creamier the almond milk.

Drain the almonds from their soaking water and rinse them thoroughly under cool running water. At this point, the almonds should feel a little squishy if you pinch them.

Place the almonds in the blender. Add 1 cup of room-temperature water to the almonds. Pulse the blender a few times to break up the almonds, then blend continuously for two minutes. The almonds should be broken down into a very fine meal and the water should be white and opaque.

(If using a food processor, process for 4 minutes total, pausing to scrape down the sides halfway through.)

Add 2 cups of room temperature water to the paste in the blender and blend until thoroughly combined. The mixture will be very frothy.

Line a strainer with either an opened nut bag or cheese cloth, and place over a measuring cup. Pour the almond mixture into the strainer.

Gather the nut bag or cheese cloth around the almond meal and twist close. Squeeze and press with clean hands to extract as much almond milk as possible. You should get about 3 cups. (See Recipe Note for what to do with the leftover almond meal.)

Taste the almond milk, and if a sweeter drink is desired, add sweetener to taste.

Add vanilla to taste, if a vanilla almond milk is desired.

Store the almond milk in sealed containers in the fridge for up to three days or freeze for longer storage.

Using the Leftover Almond Meal: The leftover almond meal can be added to oatmeal, smoothies, and muffins as it is. You can also spread it out on a baking sheet and bake it in a low oven (275-300 degrees F) until completely dry (2-3 hours). Dry almond meal can be kept frozen for several months and used in baked goods instead of flour or combined with flour.

Yield: 3 cups (24 oz)

Nutritional Information: 1 cup (8 oz) without added sweetener or vanilla

5 calories (5 from fat), 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g dietary fiber, 0g sugar), 0g protein

Vanilla Extract: 1 teaspoon = 12 kcals & 0.5 carbs
Imitation Vanilla Extract with alcohol: 1 teaspoon = 10 kcals & 0.1 carbs
Imitation Vanilla Extract with no alcohol: 1 teaspoon = 2 kcals & 0.6 carbs
Old 08-04-2014, 04:12 AM   #1210
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnycj View Post
Just sweep today under the rug and get back on plan tomorrow. I know it is hard when you start running out of foods. I just plan my meals a week ahead and that way I don't run out of something.
Excellent point about being prepared so that you don't run out of something. We make our worse possible food choices when we're hungry.

I know that's one of the reasons why I have been successful in following A '72 is always having my "food" in the house.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:29 AM   #1211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimbersh47
Stats: 5'5" 330/231/149
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: January 2, 2014

Still retaining a bunch of fluid---my fingers and toes are so stiff! I'm going to try to drink plenty of fluids today and see if I can't get this water to flush out of my system!

Hope everyone has a good on plan day!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #1212
Major LCF Poster!

Which Would You Think is Healthier??

Things that make you go hmmmmmm....

I was having a conversation with the BF and we were discussing which of these two food items were the better choice, almonds or pork rinds... here's
the nutrition facts for 1 ounce of each:

Almonds-----Pork Rinds

Kcals-----169-----160
Fat-------14.8g----10g
Sodium---1 mg----620mg
Carbs------6g------0g
Protein-----6g-----14g

I had no idea that the almonds would have more fat, I mean I know nuts are a source of fat... but not more. What I did not include was that almonds are a source for calcium & potassium.

No I am not advocating eating almonds, not at 6g per ounce, I just thought it was interesting to see the comparison of the two. The average person would SWEAR that pork rinds have more fat...
Old 08-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #1213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Morning All

Jo: What an interesting debate! Hmm, personally, I think I would take the almonds over the rinds and only because I would take a plant fat over the sodium any day and only cause the sodium would probably cause a gain or stall but then again animal fat is better than plant fat on Induction so at that point I would feel it's just a personal choice. It seems the pros & cons are very close so that would be a hard decision for me. Good post though.
I like when we can discuss things that make us think!

Well, holiday Monday here in Manitoba. Whoo-hoo. Gotta love that! Our "civic" holiday was just named: Terry Fox Day.

After almost 2 wks or so, finally broke 152 but only to 151! But at least it moved, eh! Have a good day everyone.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #1214
Major LCF Poster!

Hmm, finally found pork rinds at Walmart. They were in the Asian section (that what the sign says) and they had Asian print all over the bag. Is that the same as everyone else is buying?? They had 0 flavour and it says 5 small pcs are 1 carb. What?? How is that possible when the ingredients say pork, sea salt, salt and "may contain" MSG. May contain? So where are the carbs coming from?? Hate to admit it but it didn't take long to try one more and then one more after that! Boy, I better stay away from the flavoured ones or I think a new "chip" addiction will start!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #1215
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I was having a conversation with the BF and we were discussing which of these two food items were the better choice, almonds or pork rinds... here's

Almonds-----Pork Rinds

Kcals-----169-----160
Fat-------14.8g----10g
Sodium---1 mg----620mg
Carbs------6g------0g
Protein-----6g-----14g

I had no idea that the almonds would have more fat, I mean I know nuts are a source of fat... but not more. What I did not include was that almonds are a source for calcium & potassium.

No I am not advocating eating almonds, not at 6g per ounce, I just thought it was interesting to see the comparison of the two. The average person would SWEAR that pork rinds have more fat...

I would have never guessed pork rinds have more protein either!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #1216
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I agree 100%, being unprepared never works out in my favor. I usually end up eating out and then I'm not sure if there are hidden carbs etc.

Today is steak and eggs...was in a hurry this AM didn't pay attention to my steak over cooked it. I took 2 small fatty Delmonico sliced them up and fried them, they would be soooo good if I cooked them a minute or 2 less. They were edible just not delicious. I have more steak and 2 hard boiled eggs for lunch.

Held at 203 this AM. 3 pounds to onderland I'm hoping it happens this week.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #1217
Senior LCF Member

Anyone use the sweetener truvia? I am planning on making fresh brewed ice tea, wondering if that would be a good sweetner?
Old 08-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #1218
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neener207 View Post
Anyone use the sweetener truvia? I am planning on making fresh brewed ice tea, wondering if that would be a good sweetner?
Well, I read the label a while back and not only is it one of the most expensive, it's actually kind of carby for me. Truvia has a definite aftertaste, and, quite remarkably, 3 carbs per packet! JMHO.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #1219
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neener207 View Post
Neener: see if you can find a small bottle of liquid stevia (I've been using Stevita...but there are several different brands. 0 carbs, 0 calories...check the label before purchasing). The liquid form incorporates into liquids easier...and a few drops go a long way. A small bottle will last you quite a long time.
Hope this helps.....
Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #1220
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
Well, I read the label a while back and not only is it one of the most expensive, it's actually kind of carby for me. Truvia has a definite aftertaste, and, quite remarkably, 3 carbs per packet! JMHO.
Aghh!! 3 carbs per packet that's craziness! I am glad I asked before I went rogue thinking it was a good alternative.

Thanks I will check out liquid Stevia.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #1221
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhAmy
Stats: 5'8" 293/182.8/145
Start Date: March 25, 2014
Quote:
Very good point about planning ahead.
HOWEVER, remember Cathy mentioned having two young men at home, ages 18 and 24. I can relate. They eat everything. For example, when my college boys are home I buy 6+ dozen eggs a week. Even so I almost panicked yesterday morning. There were exactly two eggs left. Before I opened the fridge I was telling myself not to panic. If they're gone I'll eat a piece of cheese and go to the store.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #1222
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhAmy
Stats: 5'8" 293/182.8/145
Start Date: March 25, 2014
Jo,
Thank you for telling me about milking almonds! I had no idea. Now I have a bag in my amazon cart. I am going to try the silk coconut milk first since it's easier. I do love almonds!
Do you drink your foo-foo coffee every day? How often do you milk? Does it taste good without sweetener?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #1223
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ChristyM
Quote:
Hmm, finally found pork rinds at Walmart. They were in the Asian section (that what the sign says) and they had Asian print all over the bag. Is that the same as everyone else is buying?? They had 0 flavour and it says 5 small pcs are 1 carb. What?? How is that possible when the ingredients say pork, sea salt, salt and "may contain" MSG. May contain? So where are the carbs coming from?? Hate to admit it but it didn't take long to try one more and then one more after that! Boy, I better stay away from the flavoured ones or I think a new "chip" addiction will start!
Hi Bonny Jean. I got mine at Walmart but in the chip section. They had several different brands but I got Rundolf's brand. Ingredients say pork rinds and salt.

They are pretty tasteless but I like the chippy texture of them.

Not sure if this is where the carbs came from but I was looking at my Season salt container and sugar is listed on it.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #1224
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ChristyM
Oh and my bag says 0 carbs. They also had some bbq flavored ones but I was a little skeptical and concerned that some of the spices might have hidden carbs
Old 08-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #1225
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
You are so right! I do plan out Monday through Friday but the weekends are just so up in the air, I never know what we will be doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAmy View Post
Very good point about planning ahead.
HOWEVER, remember Cathy mentioned having two young men at home, ages 18 and 24. I can relate. They eat everything. For example, when my college boys are home I buy 6+ dozen eggs a week. Even so I almost panicked yesterday morning. There were exactly two eggs left. Before I opened the fridge I was telling myself not to panic. If they're gone I'll eat a piece of cheese and go to the store.
Yep, the boys eat everything. I had just bought 2 dozen eggs from a friend who has chickens. Both boys and my husband love fresh eggs but I was pretty surprised that they were gone in under 5 days. I have a drawer in the fridge that is mine and everyone knows to leave it alone. That's where I stash my lunch and breakfast stuff.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #1226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I woke up this morning feeling like I've been ran over. My body aches from the swimming and major housework I did this weekend. To top it off, TOM is here and I want to go back to bed. I didn't weigh this morning and might wait a couple of days before I do. I really liked when I did once a week weighs instead of daily.

I don't like Mondays.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #1227
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Almonds-----Pork Rinds

Kcals-----169-----160
Fat-------14.8g----10g
Sodium---1 mg----620mg
Carbs------6g------0g
Protein-----6g-----14g

Wow that is very shocking! Thanks for posting that it is good to know. I agree most people would say pork rinds are fattier for sure.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #1228
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Morning All

After almost 2 wks or so, finally broke 152 but only to 151! But at least it moved, eh! Have a good day everyone.
Great job yay for getting downeven a pound is awesome!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #1229
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyM View Post
Hi Bonny Jean. I got mine at Walmart but in the chip section. They had several different brands but I got Rundolf's brand.
Yeah, that's the first place I looked?? Nothing? Looked online and they're made right here in Canada but put in the Asian section. Go figure??
I remember my Granny snacking on a bag like almost 50 yrs ago!
I believe back then a Winnipeg company called, "Old Dutch" used to make them. I think she called them "piggy curls" so they've been around a heck of a long time, eh! I still can't understand where the carb comes from?? I guess this brand might be the only thing I can get up here but maybe other places in Canada carry the other American brands. Just seems odd to me. On the other hand, maybe it's a blessing in disguise!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #1230
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Great job yay for getting downeven a pound is awesome!
Well, thanks dear. It was a bit of "meh" but every one counts, eh... even the ones that TAKE FOREVER!!!!
Thanks again.
Closed Thread