Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #1171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neener207
Stats: 220/189/145
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 22 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
I'm not much of a techy and didn't realize you can't sit outside with a laptop!! After much preparation... getting the lounger, oversized cushion, table, coffee, radio, extension cord...... sat down to read all your posts and I couldn't see CRAP!!! Ugh!! Grrr! Oh well, thought I could a little sun while I was reading but no such luck. (eye roll)
Sorry it didn't work out but the journey you described to get there was funny

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #1172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhAmy
Stats: 5'8" 293/218/145
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: March 25, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown79 View Post
I weighed today. I can only bring myself to weigh 1 time a week. 2 pound loss for the week. 13 pounds in my 3 weeks on plan. On 2 week 4. I wish it was more but I'll take it. So dear this has been easy. Let's see where I am after a month.
Every ones posts keep me motivated so please keep up the conversations.
Have a great Sunday!!
Congrats, Brown! It really is beautifully simple. Most people seem to weigh every day but I only weigh once a month--afraid of being discouraged by numbers. You do what works for you. Great to have you here!
Old 08-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #1173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neener207
Stats: 220/189/145
Start Date: June 22 2014
Made my pork rind/parm breaded pork chops or dinner..dunno not a huge fan. They just turned out greasy. I dipped them in egg whites (I read somewhere the whites will make the rinds stick better) drizzled some olive oil in the pan and T or two of butter. They browned really nicely just not crispy at all. Did I do something wrong?
Old 08-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #1174
Senior LCF Member

I looked at coconut milk at the store today as a possible substitute for cream in my coffee. All three brands they carried had 3 carbs per 1/3 cup. Anyone know, is there a brand with fewer carbs?
Old 08-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #1175
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAmy View Post
I looked at coconut milk at the store today as a possible substitute for cream in my coffee. All three brands they carried had 3 carbs per 1/3 cup. Anyone know, is there a brand with fewer carbs?
Try Silk brand unsweetened Coconut Milk. It has just under 1 carb for an entire cup!!! Maybe you bought the sweetened milk???
Old 08-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #1176
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherlocklabs
Stats: 320+/284/130
WOE: Atkins, LCHF ~ Clean Eating Only
Start Date: Restart: 6/29/14
Quote:
Okay, I wasn't gonna ask for fear of looking stupid but stupid is as stupid does!

Anyway, may I ask WHY so many are making Jello from scratch??? Jello??
What's wrong with the powdered s/f stuff we just add water to??
Now, please don't get me wrong, I mean this in the most sincere way. Honestly.
No problem Bonny-Jean...it's a legitimate question. I personally will not eat artificial sweeteners, preservatives, and artificial colors. And honestly... It's every bit as easy to make it from scratch (as you can see from the steps I listed in my recipe)... It's pretty much the same process as the box stuff.
PLUS...beef gelatin provides a tremendous list of benefits to consider:

It contains 18 amino acids. Many of these amino acids are essential, meaning they can’t be produced by our bodies, and must be taken in as part of our diet.

It can help aid digestion and even heal digestive disorders.

Taking gelatin is a good way to get more protein in your diet. (Think picky eaters, pregnant women who need to boost protein intake, or those eating a mostly plant-based diet.) Adding gelatin to food is an excellent way to supplement protein without having to fill up on extra food. It should not, however, be your only source of protein since gelatin is not a complete protein. When taken with food, it helps your body better utilize other proteins and nutrients.

The use of gelatin improves hair quality, growth, and texture. Long term use can make hair shiny and strong.

Since our bodies make less collagen as we age, gelatin can improve skin health by providing more elasticity.

Daily consumption of gelatin has been shown to improve nail strength and rate of growth.

Supplementing with gelatin can be beneficial for overall joint and bone health, and has been shown to reduce joint pain related to arthritis.

Gelatin is a much better alternative to protein powders, which often contain artificial sweeteners and/or preservatives.

Gelatin has a protein sparing effect, helping to take the edge off hunger.

It can also promote a more restful night of sleep.

Sorry about the long explanation
I know some people think it's kooky....I have just chosen to eat as cleanly as possible....whenever possible.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #1177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauletticusJ View Post
I am attaching a photo to show my before and afters. The image on the left was taken at Valentine's Day, and the one on the right is today. I AM WEARING THE SIZE 20 JEANS I BOUGHT A COUPLE WEEKS AGO!!!!!!!!! They were very snug, but I squeezed into them and was able to zip them up!!!!!! Just a week ago I could not do this! I don't think I could wear them around, as they are too snug yet, but I fricking FIT INTO THEM TODAY!!!!
HOLY HANNAH, Paulette!!! You look A-MAZ-ING!!! Weeeeeeeehoooooooo Good job! I'm doing the little happy-happy dance with you!!! ----__>

Hard Core all the WAY!!!! Yeeeeehaaaaaaaa!!!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #1178
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissakris View Post
Does anyone here eat egg creams? I remember finding a recipe on this forum, and they are 72 friendly. I've done raw eggs in a protein shake so I'm not afraid of that, but I've never had them blended with just water, cream and Splenda.
I have them from time to time. This one is 72 friendly and easy......
Cappuccino Egg Cream
2 eggs
8 oz coffee (cooled)
12 drops Stevita
2T HWC
Hand full of ice
(Sometimes I add 1T Sprouted Flax Powder)
Blend it until frothy !!
It keeps me satisfied until lunchtime.
When we were having that hot weather...I didn't feel like a hot breakfast on some days...and these were cool and satisfying! Great for on the go too!

Oh! I guess if you aren't much of a coffee drinker...you could sub unsweetened almond or coconut milk...perhaps the vanilla flavor.... Just an alternative...

Last edited by sherlocklabs; 08-03-2014 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 08-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #1179
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Try Silk brand unsweetened Coconut Milk. It has just under 1 carb for an entire cup!!! Maybe you bought the sweetened milk???
Oh, thank you, Bonny-Jean! That's more like it! No, I didn't buy any yet. Is Silk brand in a can?
Old 08-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #1180
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PauletticusJ
Stats: 331.8/263.4/175
Start Date: 3/2/2014
I love Silk Original Unsweetened Coconut Milk! I will just drink a cup of it with some Walden Farms sugar-free chocolate syrup for a delicious choco-coconut flavored drink! It is found in the dairy section in a 1/2 gallon container, like the one milk comes in
Old 08-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #1181
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlocklabs View Post
I have them from time to time. This one is 72 friendly and easy......
Cappuccino Egg Cream
2 eggs
8 oz coffee (cooled)
12 drops Stevita
2T HWC
Hand full of ice
(Sometimes I add 1T Sprouted Flax Powder)
Blend it until frothy !!
It keeps me satisfied until lunchtime.
When we were having that hot weather...I didn't feel like a hot breakfast on some days...and these were cool and satisfying! Great for on the go too!

Oh! I guess if you aren't much of a coffee drinker...you could sub unsweetened almond or coconut milk...perhaps the vanilla flavor.... Just an alternative...
FYI: Did you know that 1 T Flax powder has 6 carbs and it's NOT on the A '72 Acceptable Foods List..
Old 08-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #1182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinnycj
Stats: 188/155/120
WOE: Atkins 72 hardcore
Start Date: June 2014
Bonnie- I was thinking the same thing with the sf jello. I just prefer easy mix water and done.

I went to my camp out with my kids and girlfriend and her kids. We had red wine. That was bad for me. I got on the scale when I got home and I was up 3 pounds!! Not good. Lesson learned the hard way no more alcohol for me bit worth the move on the scale.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #1183
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I love Silk Original Unsweetened Coconut Milk! I will just drink a cup of it with some Walden Farms sugar-free chocolate syrup for a delicious choco-coconut flavored drink! It is found in the dairy section in a 1/2 gallon container, like the one milk comes in
Thank you! I was looking on the shelf in the Asian food section, perplexed.

How is it in coffee, compared to cream? I can't wait to get some. What a value, carb-wise!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #1184
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnycj View Post
Bonnie- I was thinking the same thing with the sf jello. I just prefer easy mix water and done.
Lessons are really HARD to learn doing this WOE, there's not much wiggle room for mistakes... that's one of the hardest parts about this...

I agree with you about the boxed Jell-O mix -- it's just boil water and mix. The added benefits are lovely, BUT since we are on a meat WOE, we are getting our share and OTHER peeps share of protein so we don't have to worry about getting all the amino acids we need for good health.

Americans have never been lacking getting protein, funny how Big Food companies are fortifying foods that never had protein before with protein NOW... it's the new "buzz" word for health, like oats was years ago...
Old 08-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #1185
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

How is it in coffee, compared to cream? I can't wait to get some. What a value, carb-wise!
Amy, I milk my own almonds and it's .5 carbs and 5 kcals per 8 oz. It makes a lovely foo foo cup of coffee.

Store bought runs between 30-45 kcals and 1 carb per 8 oz depending on the "flavor" like Almond Vanilla to Almond/Coconut Blend.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #1186
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
FYI: Did you know that 1 T Flax powder has 6 carbs and it's NOT on the A '72 Acceptable Foods List..
Oh no!!! I did not!! I feel bad for recommending it!!
I thought there was 0 carbs because mine says Carbs=5 Fiber=5 (and that is for a 2Tbl serving....I only use 1Tbls)...
Oh....72 doesn't do "net carbs" right?? Old ways are hard to break sometimes.
I usually throw it in when I...um....uh....you know....need a little help.
But other than that.....I just make the basic recipe.
Thanks Jo!!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #1187
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh no!!! I did not!! I feel bad for recommending it!!
I thought there was 0 carbs because mine says Carbs=5 Fiber=5 (and that is for a 2Tbl serving....I only use 1Tbls)...
Oh....72 doesn't do "net carbs" right?? Old ways are hard to break sometimes.
I usually throw it in when I...um....uh....you know....need a little help.
But other than that.....I just make the basic recipe.
Thanks Jo!!
Yeah we don't do NET carbs. For us A '72 Lifers and those of us highly carb sensitive - a carb is a carb is a carb. So we count all carbs...
Old 08-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #1188
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
No problem Bonny-Jean...it's a legitimate question. I personally will not eat artificial sweeteners, preservatives, and artificial colors. And honestly... It's every bit as easy to make it from scratch (as you can see from the steps I listed in my recipe)... It's pretty much the same process as the box stuff.
PLUS...beef gelatin provides a tremendous list of benefits to consider:

It contains 18 amino acids. Many of these amino acids are essential, meaning they can’t be produced by our bodies, and must be taken in as part of our diet.
Oh!

It can help aid digestion and even heal digestive disorders.
Oh!

Taking gelatin is a good way to get more protein in your diet. (Think picky eaters, pregnant women who need to boost protein intake, or those eating a mostly plant-based diet.) Adding gelatin to food is an excellent way to supplement protein without having to fill up on extra food. It should not, however, be your only source of protein since gelatin is not a complete protein. When taken with food, it helps your body better utilize other proteins and nutrients.
Oh!

The use of gelatin improves hair quality, growth, and texture. Long term use can make hair shiny and strong.
Wondebar!

Since our bodies make less collagen as we age, gelatin can improve skin health by providing more elasticity.
Really!

Daily consumption of gelatin has been shown to improve nail strength and rate of growth.
Oh my!

Supplementing with gelatin can be beneficial for overall joint and bone health, and has been shown to reduce joint pain related to arthritis.
Terrific!

Gelatin is a much better alternative to protein powders, which often contain artificial sweeteners and/or preservatives.
Holy moley!

Gelatin has a protein sparing effect, helping to take the edge off hunger.
Excellent!

It can also promote a more restful night of sleep.
Awesome!

Sorry about the long explanation
I know some people think it's kooky....I have just chosen to eat as cleanly as possible....whenever possible.
You're a doll for giving such a wonderful and informative explanation. Thank you so much for taking your time to educate me and wow, you certainly did. Now I know!!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #1189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PauletticusJ
Stats: 331.8/263.4/175
Start Date: 3/2/2014
Quote:

I have never used it in coffee because I prefer the rich thick flavor that only real cream can give me. I just like the Silk Coconut milk as a beverage.

Besides, coconut coffee sounds strange to me...

Last edited by PauletticusJ; 08-03-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Old 08-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #1190
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh, thank you, Bonny-Jean! That's more like it! No, I didn't buy any yet. Is Silk brand in a can?
No, no, not that stuff. Walmart has it in the milk section by the soy and other funky milks. If you love almonds you might try that or for a lighter almond taste, Silk also has a Almond/Coconut Blend but I prefer the Unsweetened Coconut. Yum!!! I'm just not okay with nuts in my coffee, just beans! It's a little more expensive than regular milk but when you read the label you won't believe how there is literally no carbs in it, < carb per cup!! It's also low calorie, low fat and LOADED with vitties and minerals. I can't say enough of this stuff. As of yesterday, I have eliminated hwc from my woe completely!! I'm confident you will enjoy it!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #1191
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
How is it in coffee, compared to cream?
Sadly, nothing really compares to cream!! What I did was initially mix the coconut milk with hwc, about 50/50 and each week or so added less and less hwc till I got used to it and as of yesterday no more hwc and it's okay. If we can convince ourselves to stay 100% on plan then we can learn to love this wonderful alternative as well, well me anyway!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #1192
Major LCF Poster!

Hey MG, if you're reading this thread, we miss you. Hope you are having a great time in Kansas and stay safe!

Remember, don't put on any ruby red slippers, I don't care how nice they make your legs look!!

(The BF is from Kansas and his mom's name was Dorothy -- for reals!! )
Old 08-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #1193
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimbersh47
Stats: 5'5" 330/231/149
Start Date: January 2, 2014
You know that I make coffee jello with knox gelatin but if it was available as a mix, I would use the mix!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #1194
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Andie.g
Stats: 161/159/125
Start Date: July 27, 2014
Quote:
IMHO, I'd be very leery of store bought jerky... its so not A '72... usually sugar cured and has carbs...
I only eat the Jerky I make that way I know what's in it My son loves it so we go through a lot. Thank goodness for the Jerky kit.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #1195
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andie.g View Post
I only eat the Jerky I make that way I know what's in it My son loves it so we go through a lot. Thank goodness for the Jerky kit.
Way to go making your own jerky, Andie!!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #1196
Major LCF Poster!

A Little Advice:

Hey A '72 Hard Core Warriors, just a little tidbit of advice when it comes to adding foods not specifically stated on the A '72 Acceptable Foods List:

If it's from a vegetable base then it "probably" has carbs. Use those online carb/kcal websites to check the nutrition facts if your food does not have a nutrition facts label. Double and triple check, because ignorance is not bliss on this WOE and there is little wiggle room for mistakes as I mentioned earlier. Remember what Dr. A said in the A '72 book:

"Eat nothing that is not on the list and sometimes a single stick of chewing gum, or putting milk in your coffee could put you right back to level one by upsetting the new chemical balance in your body. Yes, even that much carbohydrate can turn off your fat mobilizing hormone."
Old 08-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #1197
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sadly, nothing really compares to cream!! What I did was initially mix the coconut milk with hwc, about 50/50 and each week or so added less and less hwc till I got used to it and as of yesterday no more hwc and it's okay. If we can convince ourselves to stay 100% on plan then we can learn to love this wonderful alternative as well, well me anyway!
Thank you. I'm going to try this.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #1198
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Besides, coconut coffee sounds strange to me...
Hmmm, it does. I love coconut and I love coffee. But together I dunno. Gonna try it.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #1199
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Amy, I milk my own almonds and it's .5 carbs and 5 kcals per 8 oz. It makes a lovely foo foo cup of coffee.

Store bought runs between 30-45 kcals and 1 carb per 8 oz depending on the "flavor" like Almond Vanilla to Almond/Coconut Blend.
You actually do? I thought the "milking almonds" conversation was some sort of inside joke! That is amazing, Jo. Is it fussy to do?

(The davinci syrups seem to have artificial sweetners which I can't have.)

Last edited by OhAmy; 08-03-2014 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Add more comment
Old 08-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #1200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/183/125
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: RESTART 7-8-14
Quote:
Hmmm, it does. I love coconut and I love coffee. But together I dunno. Gonna try it.
I love it with the German chocolate DaVinci syrup and coffee.
Closed Thread