Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
July Atkins 72 Induction Support

Ok, so I saw our old thread was closed and thought I'd start a new monthly thread for those of us that are doing Atkins 72 induction. Some of us choose to stay on induction levels of carbs, which can have its own challenges, so this will be our support thread for everyone that is sticking to Atkins 72 induction, or trying to. It can be tough!

Feel free to jump right in, and we'll start a new thread in August so that they don't get so long.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday night is, for us, always grocery shopping night and we usually grab dinner first. I have to say, I dread it now. I don't really enjoy the eating out portion of the night any more. Not that there aren't things to choose from, there are, but all I really want to do is come home and throw a steak on the grill. The restaurant food just holds no appeal to me at all any more.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:03 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
MG, I just said that to my MIL the other day. Restaurants are losing their appeal. I am noticing the restaurants are losing their power over me. Fast food is a total YUCK now I hate when the family wants to stop at them. The 'better' restaurant foods is not as good as I thought it was before either. Hubby/kiddo suggest eating out and lately I have been saying NAH more and more.

good old steak on the grill along with some nice shrimp sounds delish to me !!
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:08 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Sunday night is, for us, always grocery shopping night and we usually grab dinner first. I have to say, I dread it now. I don't really enjoy the eating out portion of the night any more. Not that there aren't things to choose from, there are, but all I really want to do is come home and throw a steak on the grill. The restaurant food just holds no appeal to me at all any more.
I agree MG. Is it because of the portion size? or for me, I'm stressing about it because is it really carb-free, are they unknowingly sabotaging me with some spice, sugar or what have you? It's too stressful for me to eat out anymore so I don't. Eating at home is so much safer and cheaper!

Did I tell you that I was out one day with my girls shopping on our vaca and we stopped to get a fountain dt soda. I watched the girl fill my cup with REGULAR soda!! I'm thinking to myself OMG what if I hadn't watched her do that??? When she brings the soda to me, I said I ordered dt and she said ohhh sorry and I said yes you are and left without a drink... caddy I know, but I was pissed...
Just Jo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:13 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /152 / 138 - 143
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
SERIOUS ATKINS '72 INDUCTEES

Oh, I like that.
MamaG: are you going to move your "challenge" here from the Induction thread or continue with both???

Anyway, it will be great to share ideas, stories and information on a thread dedicated to "hard core" '72 Induction folks. This will be a great thread.

I guess bacon has too much sodium for me and unfortunately I have leftovers for work lunch. Ate supper at 6 which is getting kinda late for my body to process and my ribs must have come from a pretty "healthy" pig, if you know what I mean!!

July 1..... 159.4
July 2..... 158.8
July 3..... 158.4
July 4..... 158.1
July 5..... 157.3
July 6..... 156.4
July 7..... 156.8
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:42 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Jo, I order unsweet tea down in the south where I live. The amt. of times I get sweet tea is thru the roof. the sugar in the tea sends my eyeballs out of my head

NOW I ALWAYS take the smallest sip to wet the lips before I ever take a big long draw on my glass. Sad I have to test every glass of unsweet tea I order now in my life LOL
Old 07-07-2014, 04:59 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
Jo, I order unsweet tea down in the south where I live. The amt. of times I get sweet tea is thru the roof. the sugar in the tea sends my eyeballs out of my head

NOW I ALWAYS take the smallest sip to wet the lips before I ever take a big long draw on my glass. Sad I have to test every glass of unsweet tea I order now in my life LOL
There's four ways around ordering a beverage now for me:
1) get it in a can
2) order water
3) have a designated taster (aka the BF)
4) go thirsty
Old 07-07-2014, 05:02 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
Oh, I like that.
MamaG: are you going to move your "challenge" here from the Induction thread or continue with both???

Anyway, it will be great to share ideas, stories and information on a thread dedicated to "hard core" '72 Induction folks. This will be a great thread.

I guess bacon has too much sodium for me and unfortunately I have leftovers for work lunch. Ate supper at 6 which is getting kinda late for my body to process and my ribs must have come from a pretty "healthy" pig, if you know what I mean!!

July 1..... 159.4
July 2..... 158.8
July 3..... 158.4
July 4..... 158.1
July 5..... 157.3
July 6..... 156.4
July 7..... 156.8

So you have less than 15 lbs to go to meet your personal weight goal, my friend?? Weeeeeeehoooooo Doing the happy happy dance for you ----> (I love this smiley!!)

I have questions, cause inquiring minds wanna know (me me me..!):
How many carbs are you consuming now?
What are your plans for maintenance?
Old 07-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

designated taster. good idea !!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neener207
Stats: 219/202/140
Start Date: June 22 2014
I so need a taster I downed about 7 oz of sweet tea before my eye brow went up "umm this is really sweet" LOL
Neener207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I think I just don't trust the quality of the food. Anything I order with cheese I know is going to be from bag of pre grated cheese, which of course uses potato starch to keep the cheese from sticking together. Or if it's cheese slices, then I know it's more likely a processed cheese food, not real cheese. Things like that. And honestly, none of it tastes as good to me as just having a steak from the grill at home.

Bonny, I'm planning to post on boh threads still, I need all the support I can get!
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
Old 07-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Ugh, don't even get me started on the soda! My family knows that nothing will set me off like getting a regular soda by mistake. When my server brings my drink, I always very nicely reiterate, "this IS DIET, right?" The problem I'm running into is that I just don't trust my taste buds any more. They really have changed, and a lot of things that I used to like just taste way too sweet to me. So if we go out any more, my best bet is water and my diet Pepsi I'll have when I can get it from the can myself.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

yes I buy REAL GOOD quality cheese now..shred my own....I read those grated packages. corn starch to keep the shreds from sticking. blew my mind

IF ANYONE makes it for you....whether a manufacturing company, or someone else cooking like reg. people or restaurants......we lose total control.

Control is so important to me now. I used to kinda go with it....now I am more inclined to be picky about what goes into my mouth.

ut oh we are falling into the fantaic category now LOL
Old 07-07-2014, 06:35 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Now you all know why I am soooo paranoid about eating out or even having other people cook for me. If I'm not watching what they're doing and using for ingredients, it stresses me out. So I don't eat out, not worth it at all to me. I don't mind being the designated drinker whilst my friends/fam eat, but now I'm worrying about the ding dang dt. soda too...
Old 07-07-2014, 06:35 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ugh, don't even get me started on the soda! My family knows that nothing will set me off like getting a regular soda by mistake. When my server brings my drink, I always very nicely reiterate, "this IS DIET, right?" The problem I'm running into is that I just don't trust my taste buds any more. They really have changed, and a lot of things that I used to like just taste way too sweet to me. So if we go out any more, my best bet is water and my diet Pepsi I'll have when I can get it from the can myself.
I know what you mean about our taste buds changing... I can barely tell the difference btwn reg and dt any more that's why the BF is the designated taster.

We need to start our own restaurant chain of truly LC foods.. with complete transparency about what's in the food. Hey it's a thought!! LMOAO
Old 07-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Jo, don't think i haven't thought about it! . Unfortunately, I just don't think there enough of us in any one area to keep a restaurant going.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

My ds is too busy with his gf for us to go out for dinner on our Friday m/s "date" anymore and just think of all the money we are ALL saving not going to restaurants regularly anymore!!
I bet in a year, it's hundreds of dollars!

Jo: Yeah, I was a little surprised when I realized how close I am! I think I'm probably doing about 4 or 5 carbs a day and they're all coming from the Splenda in my coffee and maybe 1/2 carb from the Silk but that's it.

I'm actually a little terrified about maintenance. How could one not be when I'm so on par with Induction and have such slow losses and then a little bacon gives me a sodium bump. Unlike MG, I may try low carb fruit first, although more sugars I'm not a veggie fan. First thing is the raspberries that are about to ripen after waiting 2 yrs for this plant to produce. I love bananas but may never eat one again. Watermelon is on my list for next summer cause I'll miss the fresh stuff this year. Probably won't get to goal till October, I'm guessing... based on my averages.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ejw55
Stats: 167/144.6/115
Start Date: May 2012
Quote:
I think I just don't trust the quality of the food. Anything I order with cheese I know is going to be from bag of pre grated cheese, which of course uses potato starch to keep the cheese from sticking together. Or if it's cheese slices, then I know it's more likely a processed cheese food, not real cheese.
Good Morning...is it ok if I chime in?? I promise to be a good girl and am going to be 100% on track!

Thank you so much for pointing out about the shredded cheese...I had no idea! I Just bought some but will give that to DH and son...I will get my own and shred it myself...funny I use to do that but I guess got lazy.
Ellen
ejw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
yes I buy REAL GOOD quality cheese now..shred my own....I read those grated packages. corn starch to keep the shreds from sticking. blew my mind
Is it Sargento who claims they only shred from the whole block, nothing processed. So I wonder now if all "shredded" cheese is the same. How disappointing but what is 100% natural that doesn't come from our own homes now???
Old 07-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

not sure Bonny, but I know the Kraft shred cheddar and my store brand has the corn starch in it to prevent sticking. I never buy the sargento cause of price....but you bet your dollar I am NOW going to check them out. PLUS they have a SUPER thin cut of cheese. I kinda like that thin cut for control on cheese.

funny I used to check prices all the time and BUY from that.....now I check the label and buy from that only. price is kinda out the window when it comes to me eating what I need.

what gets me is 'low carb'. come on. the menu says low carb...like at Denny's restaurant. menu says low carb but it comes with a 'small side' of mashed taters with that hamburger steak in gravy. HAHA. Low carb is such crazy numbers for everyone. LC can be only 25 carbs for this meal, while I don't do that in a day.....so everyone watch out
what one thinks is LC isn't what others think is LC.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

ejw, read your ingredients label. it surprises the heck out of ya sometimes

I read all labels now and am SO surprised when I think 'this has got to be very lc' and it comes in way higher than I ever would have thought.

processed...means they DO what they want with it. regardless of what that food came from. very LC food can be upped real fast in the factory with useless carbs.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
Is it Sargento who claims they only shred from the whole block, nothing processed. So I wonder now if all "shredded" cheese is the same. How disappointing but what is 100% natural that doesn't come from our own homes now???
I just checked mine...Kraft- yes potato starch

Going "hard core" as you say I am giving up my crystal light even though I water it down so much....iced tea from a tea bag!! I got some of that "EZ-Sweetz"...2 drops per glass

Does anyone know about that stuff....like if I had 3 glasses...that would be 6 drops...any carbs?

The serving size is 4 drops ...0 carbs

Any the crystal light "to go" packets...it says 0 but is it really or a fraction??

Grilled some Tuna last night...going to make tuna salad for dinner as I can't have what DH and son are having. I can't take a 9 year old favorites away.

"People won't remember what you did. People won't remember what you said. But people will always remember the way you made them feel."
- Maya Angellou
“Don’t eat anything your great-great grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.” ~Michael Pollan
Old 07-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw55 View Post
I can't take a 9 year old favorites away.
I hear ya loud and clear. my daughter is 9. while is certainly learning about eating control and CARBS from me, big time , I also allow her to eat a bit different, cook for them different and get snacks for them.

see if I can make her understand that 'bad' stuff should be severly limited, and 'good' stuff makes the bulk of the meal....then maybe she can be one of those 'higher' lower to moderate carb people. It would be wonderful if it works out for her that way. without some type of hypnosis on fast food, junk to fill ya with no staying power, miserable packaged products etc. Kinda like being sure she realizes what 'real food' is and make that a knowledge now she can't deny

DH--am not going to change him one bit. bleck.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger: although "quality" foods cost more, aren't you worth it plus just think of the savings not going to restaurants and such so what you're saving there you can justify buying the healthiest LC items as possible. See, it all balances out. Boy, I'm glad I don't like cheese!!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neener207
Stats: 219/202/140
Start Date: June 22 2014
I'm afraid to eat out as well. I went to Eat n Park with my mom, niece and nephew and ordered herb crusted chicken breast. Nutritional info said 4 carbs but..it looked a whole lot like breading to me so I scrape almost all of it off. Try explaining why are are doing that to a 4 and 6 year old! I've been trying so hard I just don't want any unknowing ingredient to screw me up.

On another note I made chicken wings last night and used a t of season salt, it does have carbs but not much per t. I was surprised how far I could stretch a t of season salt I didn't realize how little you really can get by on.

Anyone make they own antipasta salad? I believe those ingredients are good to go on '72?
Neener207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betterthanever
Stats: 265/206/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2014
It took me until now to figure out why I couldn't post on the old thread--lol!
MG, thanks for your input on my fruit venture. I so appreciate your honesty, thoroughness, and gentleness. It helped me to reevaluate exactly what I was doing, and probably kept me from traveling a road I didn't want to travel! Sneaky mind tricks, you know: "I'm eating SO low carb, that a few of these couldn't hurt." NOT!! I'm back to where I set my mind: induction. IF I want to do anything besides meat, eggs, and cheese, it will need to be induction-friendly veggies. That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it! Thankfully, that pound is gone, plus a little more. I'm getting so close to Onederland I can almost taste it!!

I think this thread, devoted to induction, is a good idea. It helps to have everyone on the same page.
betterthanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PauletticusJ
Stats: 331/275/175
Start Date: 3/2/2014
I don't use cheese much, but if I do, I just buy a block of cheddar and grate it myself. Same goes with parmesan (I don't trust the pre-grated stuff in a can). I seem to use much less of it when I grate it myself. And real grated parmesan is SO much tastier when fresh!!!
PauletticusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanever View Post
I think this thread, devoted to induction, is a good idea. It helps to have everyone on the same page.
AMEN!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy SAHM
Stats: 5'5" 223/194/140 ish or lower
WOE: Atkins 72'
Start Date: May 12, 2014
Good Afternoon Everyone!

Great new thread MG..thankyou for starting it!

I'm sticking to as close to zero carbs as possible and my keto stix are extremely dark! I know that even if the scale doesn't move daily, I have to be losing inches and my body is a fat burning machine! LOL

Well, I just beat the storm! Whew! I was outside on the deck grilling up some some burgers and hot dogs for lunch and the sky opened up just as I was done! It's lightening and thundering here now like crazy!

I've been grilling lunch and dinner the last four days. The kids are in full summer mode now and they love swimming for a few hours, then having a nice, tasty summertime lunch on the deck.

Last night I made burgers, dogs, and grilled up a couple of rib-eye steaks, which were delicious! I made fresh corn on the cob for the family, as well as a mix of strawberries and blueberries, and watermelon spears for them. We had a campfire a couple nights this weekend too and the kids made smores. I wasn't even tempted to taste, although, I was the one helping assemble the smores after they toasted their marshmallows. I just enjoyed sitting around the fire drinking a diet coke having fun with the family!

We are going on vacation in 2 weeks. While I won't be able to do my own cooking for a few week, I will stick to the basics when we eat out...eggs, bacon for breakfast, burgers or chicken for lunch, and steak or seafood for dinner. I am very particular when I order at a restaurant..I'm polite, but I explain exactly how I'd like my meal prepared. So far, it's been fine.

I really hope to see a good loss by the time I return from vacation! I am due for a swoosh..no?
Happy SAHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauletticusJ View Post
I don't use cheese much, but if I do, I just buy a block of cheddar and grate it myself. Same goes with parmesan (I don't trust the pre-grated stuff in a can). I seem to use much less of it when I grate it myself. And real grated parmesan is SO much tastier when fresh!!!
I checked the parm in a can...I am pretty sure it is ok...it has "powdered cellulose" in it but when I looked that up...I couldn't see where it is a carb...It is a anti clumping food additive (which I guess is not good either)