Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /148 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Bonny, it could be, but I don't think I'd worry about it yet. It may not be. My weight bounces around all the time. I would wait a week or so, be patient, and see what happens. You may tweak things, and you may lose, but it may not have had anything to do with your tweak, it was just time for a drop. You know what I mean? I just would give it a little time.
As usual, you're right. I did read about a "sensitivity" to some sweeteners but it also says there's NO PROOF that sweeteners actually AFFECT weight gain so I get being stuck for awhile but after a week at 168 I really thought a drop was pending? I guess I'll just chillax a little, stay on plan and see what happens.

Also agree 100% on the calorie information you gave CPG! Dr. A never gave us license to eat gluttonous amounts of food but eat to satisfied and no more. In the big picture, yes calories do count but as long as portions are within reason there's no need to count them at all. JMHO.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newslimsexy View Post
Hi everyone I have officially restarted Atkins 72 yesterday and I'm waiting for my book to arrive. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to put the weight tracker on my profile. I also wanted to know based on experience does the type of protein you eat affect how fast or slow you lose weight.
I don't know how to do that.
I tried and just pooched it!

My own personal choice along with eggs any style is the fattiest cuts or pieces I can find.
Chicken: wings, thighs, drumsticks
Pork: baby back ribs, bacon, shoulder blade steaks, etc. not much ham
Beef: rib-eye, prime rib... anything heavily marbled. Only home made meatballs, sausage etc.
I try to avoid prepared, pkg'd or deli meats... too many fillers and god knows what else for me! Good luck with your journey. Keep posting and let us know what your menu is like. We're all here to help each others
Old 05-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vessel of prayer View Post
Hi everyone. One week on Atkins 72. Total loss for the week is 4.2 pounds. Any ideas how to drop more than that. I thought one could lose more ? I am very happy with that number but was just wondering. I am eating clean.
OMG, Sheila......... that would be 18 lbs a month!!!! That's A LOT!! You're doing well. Slow sucks, I know but it is the healthiest and is more conducive to long term success. We need time to learn a different woe as well as losing our current weight.

Tell us what you ate today or yesterday and maybe there' something someone will see that they can suggest about it.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/132.8/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
NewSlim, as far as the kind of meat, the only advice I can give is that the less processed it is, the better. I do eat bacon, but that's the only processed meat I eat. Try to keep it as clean as you can. For me, I like fattier meats and find I lose better with more fat, but we're all different.

Sheila, that is a really great loss. Honestly, I wouldn't expect more than that. There are sometimes entire months where I don't lose that much, so just stay consistent and patient, you're doing great!
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
Old 05-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: newslimsexy
Stats: 252/228/160
Start Date: April 2014
Thanks for answering I just wanted to make sure that I'm clear, so you don't feel that the fattier cuts of meat affect your overall weight loss speed at all?
Old 05-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, as I said, I lose better with more fat in my diet and the fattier cuts of meat help me to lose better. Not everyone is the same, but that is what works best for me. I usually stick to Ribeye steak and eat all the visible fat off of them, or chicken thighs, and I eat the skin off of those, or pork steak and eat all the fat off of it first. Those are my staples. Sometimes I'll have ground beef, and I always buy the fattiest version of ground beef.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #247
Major LCF Poster!

DITTO!!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

That's what we're here for! Ask and post often!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Does it matter if you weight train a lot while you're losing and does exercise help with quicker losses. This is not necessarily a low calorie diet but because it is more heavy on protein and fats I was just wondering.

Last edited by newslimsexy; 05-13-2014 at 04:48 PM..
Old 05-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

We all have our own experiences. Personally, I believe that exercise is great for your overall health, but it is not necessarily conducive to losses on the scale. I have found that when I added in exercising my scale losses came to a screeching halt. Everyone is different, but I don't plan on exercising until I'm completely at goal. The 6 weeks that I did it, I didn't lose at all.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:16 AM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: canadianwoman
Quote:
Originally Posted by newslimsexy View Post
Hi everyone I have officially restarted Atkins 72 yesterday and I'm waiting for my book to arrive. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to put the weight tracker on my profile. I also wanted to know based on experience does the type of protein you eat affect how fast or slow you lose weight.

I just want to welcome you. I see that we are neighbours. I'm across Lake Ontario in Stoney Creek but I was born in Toronto. On a really clear day we can just make out Toronto from our apartment balcony.

I've no idea how to put a weight tracker on a profile but in answer to your other question, I find that if I eat fish then I lose weight faster. I think it might have to do with the fact that fish is lower in calories then other protein based foods.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cudabear
Stats: 168/151/140 - 5'4
WOE: 4:3 - Low Carb/Low Cal
Start Date: Sept 2013
1 Week in - 3lbs down!
Looking forward to my official weigh day on Friday.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:23 AM   #254
Senior LCF Member

All the Canadians at once, thanks for tip cndwoman.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CdnPaleoGuy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2014
14 May

Afternoon Folks

to the new faces in the crowd. Wow, more folks from North of the border
MtherGoos: no worries, I'm not counting calories. In fact, I have to knuckle down & look at the carb creep again.
newslimsexy: not 100% sure if you were the one asking or not however, the more muscle you have, the more it will burn. Several of the people haven't added that to their strategy but it can't hurt. For me, I haven't been measuring (chest, legs, etc) so don't know whether it's been helping or not.

Reading the list of meats makes me laugh. The vast majority go for the lean stuff & here we are asking for the full fat hamburger etc. Even the butchers shake their heads when you talk with them about the amount of people who are afraid of fat.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michellewynos
Stats: 226/182/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb. 15, 2014
Mothergoose- is this about the right stats for losing weight?

Fat 109.1g 75.6%
Sodium 2,841.1mg
Carbohydrates 10.1g 3.1%
Protein 69.2g 21.3%

my carbs are not usually that high, but made a low carb pizza today, so I added everything like I ate the whole thing....which I did not. Just not sure what the ratio, in general, should be. I am losing still....well, actually stuck at 198, but just want to make sure I am doing what is healthiest for me.

Any input would be appreciated!! Thanks!!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:11 PM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

Michelle, as long as you're losing weight and feeling good, I wouldn't worry too much about the ratios. If you're not losing, that's when you may need to start tweaking your ratios and calories. However, yes I think those ratios look pretty good. I aim for keeping my fat right around there too. Again, that's not a part of Atkins 72, I just find it works best for me.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamalaw
Stats: 291/260/140 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: May 1,2012
You guys are all full of great tips Thanks for the help. Lisa
Old 05-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michellewynos
Stats: 226/182/145
Start Date: Feb. 15, 2014
Thanks Mothergoose!!!!!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:40 AM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Thursday 5-15-14

Good Thursday Morning Everybody!!

HOLY HANNAH, out one day and you all went post-crazy on me. Took me almost an hour to read everything -- that will teach me to miss a day in here.

Bonny -- Patience, my friend! Since you're following the plan, you will see results. I know, we want them NOW but it will happen!

MtherGoos -- Thanks, MG for the kind words about my pic. I wish I had a before w/o the guitar because it sure did HIDE a lot!!

CPGuy -- Ask and ye shall recieve, about calories and Dr. A's thoughts on the matter:

Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution
p.275

“Q. Don’t calories play any role?

A. There’s no question—of course they do. A 1500-calorie, 10-gram diet will take more weight off—and more quickly—than a 2000-calorie, 10-gram diet. If the carbohydrate levels remain unchanged, then the extra caloric intake does make a difference. People who eat out of force of habit and don’t cut their quantities lose more slowly because of their high caloric intake.

If you can cut down on your quantities, you are better off to do so—but not when it gets to the point where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger.

Dr. Atkins Super Energy Diet
p.205

“If weight loss stops short of your ideal weight, even though you are producing ketones. You must conclude that the quantities within the diet are too great. The diet usually works best with just enough calories to stave off hunger. Too many people misinterpret the instructions regarding the diet as “Eat Unrestrictedly.” When they do this they will still lose weight in the beginning, which will reinforce their assurance that no heed whatever need be paid to quantities. In most cases, this practice will lead to a stalemate partway to the desired goal”.

p.205
“You may have to count calories in addition to carbohydrate. I have never said that calories don’t count, because I know of course that they do. I say that carbohydrate counts more. If your case is especially difficult, you may have to count both.

For most people, restricting carbohydrates is all that is necessary. However, there is no question that a 1500 calories 10 gram diet will take more weight off, and more quickly than a 2000 calorie-10 gram diet. So if you are having trouble losing you should cut down on your quantities, but not to the point where you where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger”

Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution
1992, 1999, 2002
p.143

“Although there is no need to count calories, they do matter. Gaining weight results from taking in more calories than you expend through exercise, thermogenesis, and other metabolic functions. Research has shown that on a controlled carbohydrate program, more calories are burned than in a low fat/high carb diet so that there is a certain metabolic advantage to the controlled carb approach. But understand that this does not give you a license to gorge.”

newslimsexy -- to our LC Party!!!

Protein is protein, as long as it's carb-free it's legal. Processed foods tend to stall people. But like MG and others said, keep it simple. I tend to not do a lot of fatty meats because I'm controlling my kcals as well.

IMHO, one can not exercise enough to really affect weight loss, at 123 lbs if I walk 3 mph (walking dog pace) for 60 minutes I only use up 184 kcals, you'd have to be a professional athelete working out 6-8 hours + a day to really impact weight loss. But I exercise 2-3 hours a day because I like how it makes me feel and I know there's more benefits to exercising then just expending kcals -- I call it the cherry on top of this WOE. But I've lost lots of weight before following A '72 without exercising and a lot of people have.

vessel -- HUGE on your 4.2 lb loss. That's huge, if you average out my losses, I averaged 3 lbs a week. Remember, every pound lost is a pound closer to your goal weight!!!

Cudabear -- HUGE on your 3 lbs!!! You are rockin' this WOE!

You all have a wonderful day and keep being LOSERS!!

Jo =]

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a Diet,
It’s my Salvation, my KEY to being
Healthy, Happy and Thinner!”

Last edited by Just Jo; 05-15-2014 at 02:45 AM..
Old 05-15-2014, 04:48 AM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
Bonny -- Patience, my friend! Since you're following the plan, you will see results. I know, we want them NOW but it will happen!
Thanks Jo. You're so sweet and supportive AND RIGHT!! I so know to be patient but sometimes it feels like I'm just spinning my wheels. The scale FINALLY moved this morning down to 167, thank goodness. Patience, patience, patience. Ugh, when will I learn! Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:02 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cudabear
Stats: 168/151/140 - 5'4
WOE: 4:3 - Low Carb/Low Cal
Start Date: Sept 2013
So we were supposed to go out for our anniversary tonight to The Keg.
A week ago I was super excited about giving myself the night off and having the bread with butter at dinner.. come one week later and not only am I hell bent and determined to not touch ANYTHING even remotely off plan but Fridays are my 'official' weigh in day and I don’t want a heavy dinner to sway the numbers, so we moved dinner to Saturday instead!
Maybe the catalyst was when my husband said this morning.. HEY! Looks like you are totally losing weight.. Looks great (maybe it was the anniversary talking.. But it felt great anyway)
Old 05-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

You can ignore that bread!! I watch my ds eat that tempting little loaf of sour dough every time we go there but I don't touch it. I squirt some MIO in my water, order the filet mignon without potatoe and I'm good.
I will admit that I've stuck my fork in the bearnaise sauce many times but that's it.
Enjoy your anniversary dinner and congrats!!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Yup, totally agree with Bonny! When I was visiting my daughter in Washington, she wanted to go to Spaghetti Warehouse for dinner! Not only did we eat there, but I had to slice up the loaf of bread that they bring to the table because she was mutilating it. But I didn't take a single bite of anything off plan, it's just not worth it. Go, enjoy the dinner, and stay on plan! You'll be so so glad that you did!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monique
Today is the first day in quite some time that I have followed my LC lifestyle. I fell off for various reasons but I am back as I know I feel better when I avoid sugar. My only weakness is coffee creamer. I am fine with meat, cheese and eggs but the coffee creamer is going to have to be gradual. I am ready to shed some weight and be back to my LC lifestyle. :-)
Old 05-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Monique! Have you tried using Heavy Whipping Cream or the Sugar Free Creamers? My BF uses the sugar free creamers without any problem.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

Agree with Mthergoos.

BTW: Did I mention I've kicked the hwc COMPLETELY!! Last night was my first evening with strickly 100% Silk Coconut. Walmart didn't have the Almond/Coconut Blend last time I was there. It was good and I didn't miss the hwc!! Yay!!
Old 05-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

YAY Bonny!! Way to go!!!!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks MamaG:

I felt so good this morning with that drop, dressed all in black with a "form fitting" knit turtleneck .... felt really good then looked in the mirror. What?? Who is that?? Certainly not the thinner person I feel like??
Too bad the mind and mirror can't get in sync.

It will but maybe not till September.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

Ah Bonny, we're harder on ourselves than anyone else ever is! I'm sure you were ROCKING that turtleneck and looking HOT!
Closed Thread