Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudabear View Post
I drink 2 coffee a day w/ HWC and I dont think that's something I will be giving up anytime soon.. Unless I have to stop going to work, but I think i'm a long way off from that!
Well, if you can lose and still drink wine....... I want some.
So what is your choice???

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #182
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bluebird
Hi everyone,

I am very new to Atkins '72 and will be starting Monday, 5/12 for my first time ever on any low carb plan. Very excited!! I looked at a few others plans awhile back, but never followed through. This seems like such a wonderful, positive group - I would love to join you.

I have been reading lots and I feel very comfortable. One "unusual" thing though - I will be making a cross country move in 25 days (6/3)!!! So I still have 3 full weeks at my current home, and then will have 1 full week on the road. I have made the move once before, so I do know what to expect as far as food choices. Though it will be challenging, I feel it is completely possible. Of course, I wish I had started long before this, but it will be OK!!

Look forward to chatting with you!!

Thanks so much,

Gracie
Old 05-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #183
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Melsie52
Stats: 195/195/140
WOE: Atkins '72
Question on Carbs vs. Net Carbs

Hello,

I have a question for all you folks on the '72 Dr. Atkins book. I was looking at some recipe books like George Stella's books. They have net carbs only and not full carbs which I need and will be starting here shortly on the '72 version. How do I figure the full carbs? Do I add the fiber to the net carbs? Thank you, Melsie
Old 05-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #184
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: vessel of prayer
Stats: 210/200/140
WOE: low carb/atkins 72
Start Date: April 25 2014 again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
Awesome job, Sheila. You're doing great. Onederland tomorrow or Saturday. Fingers crossed for you!!
thanks. 3 days no loss. Ketone sticks say I am in ketosis. although not dark, but it is on the third color over.

Not giving up cause of no weight loss. I feel so much better than I use to. Thanks I am gonna keep trying. Hi to everyone. Y'all are doing great.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vessel of prayer View Post
thanks. 3 days no loss. Ketone sticks say I am in ketosis. although not dark, but it is on the third color over.
Not giving up cause of no weight loss. I feel so much better than I use to. Thanks I am gonna keep trying. Hi to everyone. Y'all are doing great.
JMHO but I wouldn't sweat that scale too much especially if you're weighing everyday. There are so many variables why we fluctuate each and every day and sometimes has nothing to do with your woe at all! I've never used ketostix cause they're not completely reliable so why add more stress and anxiety to this??? Would you be able to walk past the scale every day?? If not, then you just have to accept it and know you're doing everything right and the "whoosh" as it's called will happen. It may not be today, it may not be tomorrow but IT WILL BE!!! The most determined people on these threads show the most loss so there's the math. This woe is practically guaranteed if you DO IT!! Hang it, it will happen.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PauletticusJ
Stats: 331.8/263.4/175
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/2/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melsie52 View Post
Hello,

I have a question for all you folks on the '72 Dr. Atkins book. I was looking at some recipe books like George Stella's books. They have net carbs only and not full carbs which I need and will be starting here shortly on the '72 version. How do I figure the full carbs? Do I add the fiber to the net carbs? Thank you, Melsie
Yes! Add them back in. As far as I am concerned, carbs are carbs. Try to stay away from them all. I try to keep my total carbs below 10 a day.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PauletticusJ
Stats: 331.8/263.4/175
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/2/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
Hi everyone,

I am very new to Atkins '72 and will be starting Monday, 5/12 for my first time ever on any low carb plan. Very excited!! I looked at a few others plans awhile back, but never followed through. This seems like such a wonderful, positive group - I would love to join you.

I have been reading lots and I feel very comfortable. One "unusual" thing though - I will be making a cross country move in 25 days (6/3)!!! So I still have 3 full weeks at my current home, and then will have 1 full week on the road. I have made the move once before, so I do know what to expect as far as food choices. Though it will be challenging, I feel it is completely possible. Of course, I wish I had started long before this, but it will be OK!!

Look forward to chatting with you!!

Thanks so much,

Gracie
Pack a cooler full of meat sticks, cheddar cheese sticks, pork rinds, guacamole dip, celery sticks, tuna salad, ham rolled up in lettuce, hard boiled eggs and a big bag of bacon strips then munch aways on your trip! Keep a bunch of bottles of water in your cooler, too!!!! It will be an Atkins adventure!

If you need to eat at a restaurant, get your burger bun-less with no ketchup, Mustard is fine along with mayo, pickles, cheese and bacon. Don't get tomatoes or onions - they are high in carbs. Eat it chopped up in a bowl of lettuce - no more than 2 cups of lettuce - for a delicious bacon cheeseburger salad. As Atkins friendly as you can get! Good Road Food
Old 05-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: canadianwoman
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauletticusJ View Post
Pack a cooler full of meat sticks, cheddar cheese sticks, pork rinds, guacamole dip, celery sticks, tuna salad, ham rolled up in lettuce, hard boiled eggs and a big bag of bacon strips then munch aways on your trip! Keep a bunch of bottles of water in your cooler, too!!!! It will be an Atkins adventure!

If you need to eat at a restaurant, get your burger bun-less with no ketchup, Mustard is fine along with mayo, pickles, cheese and bacon. Don't get tomatoes or onions - they are high in carbs. Eat it chopped up in a bowl of lettuce - no more than 2 cups of lettuce - for a delicious bacon cheeseburger salad. As Atkins friendly as you can get! Good Road Food
While she is still at home she can cook some steaks and chicken, freeze individual cooked chicken pieces and several slices of cooked steak into ziploc bags and add them to the cooler. Chicken and steak is good cold. Bring plenty of napkins and moist towelettes.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Last10
Stats: 249/140/136
WOE: Primal
Start Date: Mostly LC since 1999 when I joined LCF
I never ever ever get tired of eating a cheeseburger in a bowl. It's one of my favorite meals. I do look for places that have organic meat and cheese.

I forgot how much a food addict I am. I worked through lunch and got home really hungry. Dinner was 3oz organic cheddar melted in the microwave. I needed something quick as I was running right back out. It was so good that I wouD have eaten a pound if I didn't run out at 3 ounces. Trouble is it tastes great, has a ton of calories but doesnt fill me up. Anyone else ever do something like this?
Old 05-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #190

question for all here. Bacon. what brand do you all get? any bacon so far that i have bought in the past, makes me slow way down in weight loss... sausage too so I am staying away from both for a couple of weeks anyhow. all answers appreciated and thanks in advance
Old 05-10-2014, 12:19 AM   #191

oh HI Gracie. I am new to this board too, not the woe though. You will love it.
Bonnie-Jean. THanks. I won't give up!! My feet have not been swollen in two weeks. YAY. that in itself is worth lo carb
Old 05-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
It's Saturday!!

Good Saturday Morning Everybody!!

Kimber -- The guitar is HUGE now since I am NOT so HUGE. But remember, in that pic I weighed 6 lbs more than I do now, so there's still a little less of me

Cudabear -- HUGE on the 2 lbs in 2 days -- you are rockin' this even with the wine!

Last10 -- Thanks for the kind words about my pic.

I wanna say that too, girl, about staying at goal for x number of years. I've been LC (yo-yoing) since I found A '72 in 1977 and lost almost 100 lbs -- didn't stick. But it will this time!!

I think that I have found my "sweet spot" since I haven't gained/lost any weight in 12 days. Daily, I am doing an average of 1400 kcals and no more than 12 carbs. It's rather amazing, I have not once been tempted to eat those toxic killer carbs that are the bane of my existance...

Quote:
I forgot how much a food addict I am. I worked through lunch and got home really hungry. Dinner was 3oz organic cheddar melted in the microwave. I needed something quick as I was running right back out. It was so good that I wouD have eaten a pound if I didn't run out at 3 ounces. Trouble is it tastes great, has a ton of calories but doesnt fill me up. Anyone else ever do something like this?
I usually grab a can of tuna or canned chicken breast with an ounce of rinds... fast and easy!

Bonny -- Whatcha mean by this comment you made to Last10 about "I thought losing this slow that my skin would keep up but alas, that is not the case." You are doing so wonderfully and you only have 28 more lbs to go -- you are going to get there! I have faith in you!! You can do this!!

reptogirl -- HUGE on the 15 lbs!! I'm over here doing the little happy-happy dance for you. Remember one pound at a time, one day at a time... you can totally rock this!!

bluebird -- to our LC WOE Party!!!
This is a wonderful thread, with lovely people being supportive and helpful with this LC WOE.

IMHO, with or without your move, pre-planning your meals is a major key to prevent making poor food choices (aka eating those toxic, killer carbs). How many days will you be on the road to get to your new home?

Melsie52 -- to our LC WOE Party!!!

IMHO, I wouldn't do "recipes" yet, I'd stick to the basics, meat, eggs, hard cheeses - those things on Level 1 (Week 1) Induction list of foods. To get rid of all those toxic carbs and make your body into a fat burning machine. Then after you start losing like you want, start tweaking this WOE with recipes.

Like Pauletteicus posted, for a lot of us "a carb is a carb is a carb" -- we tend to metabolize all carbs the same way. We can't lose weight or maintain the weight loss if we have too many carbs because a lot of us are carb-sensitive/intolerant.

candianwoman -- Welcome to our LC WOE Party!! Lovely to have you here.

vessel -- I don't eat bacon or sausage (cause I'm saving up my kcals for other things) but it's awesome that you figured out what was stalling you... I'm cheering you on!!

Jo =]

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a Diet,
It’s my Salvation, my KEY to being
Healthy, Happy and Thinner!”
Old 05-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
Bonny -- Whatcha mean by this comment you made to Last10 about "I thought losing this slow that my skin would keep up but alas, that is not the case." You are doing so wonderfully and you only have 28 more lbs to go -- you are going to get there! I have faith in you!! You can do this!!
Well, thanks Jo but I just figured my average weekly loss at about 1.8 whereas yours is over 3!!! I'm thinking maybe I"m not eating enough??? I've gone from bacon & eggs for breakfast, salad or eggs w/mayo at lunch and 6-8 oz meat for supper to 3 boiled eggs throughout the day and a meat for supper. I think my cals are too low but again, eat when you're hungry, right?? I know others aren't eating much more and doing okay but we're all different so. I'm kinda scared to increase but have to find what works I guess? So far I've had 3 scrambled eggs with butter and pulled 8 ribs out for supper instead of the usual 4 so we'll see if that helps. Thank you so much for all your help and support. This really makes a difference in many people lives. So very much appreciated.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vessel of prayer View Post
question for all here. Bacon. what brand do you all get? any bacon so far that i have bought in the past, makes me slow way down in weight loss... sausage too so I am staying away from both for a couple of weeks anyhow. all answers appreciated and thanks in advance
The brand I really like is called Cherry Pink Premium Bacon. It is made by a small local company in my area. It is really very lovely bacon and the slices are thick cut. It is pricey but worth it.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Personally, I've pretty much given up on sausage. I just can't find one that's 100% beef and/or pork. Now bacon... am I wrong in thinking if it's cured then it has nitrates??? Anyway, unless I go to some "specialty" butcher shop I find it almost impossible to find a clean bacon. I just avoid any that's low sodium or smoked or flavoured and without sugars. As soon as they lower something, then something else increases!! LOL. We can only get what is supplied in our area with our grocers so what are ya gonna do???
Old 05-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #196
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Personally, I've pretty much given up on sausage. I just can't find one that's 100% beef and/or pork. Now bacon... am I wrong in thinking if it's cured then it has nitrates??? Anyway, unless I go to some "specialty" butcher shop I find it almost impossible to find a clean bacon. I just avoid any that's low sodium or smoked or flavoured and without sugars. As soon as they lower something, then something else increases!! LOL. We can only get what is supplied in our area with our grocers so what are ya gonna do???
If you can find plain ground pork, I have a couple of sausage recipes that I can share. The recipe can be made into sausage patties but I roll the meat so it is sausage shaped (if that makes any sense to you) and bake them in the oven. You can pan fry them too but I find baking them easier.

I suppose you could make my recipes with beef too though I never tried. It is an interesting thought however.

I also found a grocery delivery service in my area and they have the nicest turkey sausage and no fillers. Just ground turkey and spice.

By the way if you have trouble finding a 'clean' bacon did you know that you can soak it in water overnight to remove most of the crap in it? I learned that from my Neanderthin book. I've soaked bacon overnight in the fridge and cooked it up the next day in a little oil or butter and it cooked up just fine but tasted so much nicer.

It is really astounding to me the utter amounts of crap they are putting in food nowadays. I was just reading this news article this morning and I'm glad that word is getting out there about things like this .....

Fed Up documentary: sugar added to food causing obesity - British Columbia - CBC News

Last edited by canadianwoman; 05-10-2014 at 12:20 PM..
Old 05-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianwoman View Post
By the way if you have trouble finding a 'clean' bacon did you know that you can soak it in water overnight to remove most of the crap in it? I learned that from my Neanderthin book. I've soaked bacon overnight in the fridge and cooked it up the next day in a little oil or butter and it cooked up just fine but tasted so much nicer.
NO, I didn't know that?? Thank you so much for the idea. I'll put my bacon that is thawing as we speak in some water. Hmm, that's so cool! I'll let you know what I think tomorrow. That's so interesting.... thank you!
Old 05-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Start Date: Dec 5 2014
Pls post the sausage recipes when u get a chance
Old 05-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betterthanever
Stats: 265/188/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2014
I just did a calculation and in 12 weeks I have gone from 265-228...32 pounds gone! ( not counting the 5 lbs. I " lost" switching scales). Sometimes I'm so discouraged that its going so slowly, but this is a great rate! Not as fast as Jo or MG, but...I'll take it! Finishing a 3 day fat fast today, which I did just because I was sick, had no appetite, and seemed like it was better than eating nothing. Maybe its good to switch things up now and then, anyway.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, thanks Jo but I just figured my average weekly loss at about 1.8 whereas yours is over 3!!! I'm thinking maybe I"m not eating enough??? I've gone from bacon & eggs for breakfast, salad or eggs w/mayo at lunch and 6-8 oz meat for supper to 3 boiled eggs throughout the day and a meat for supper. I think my cals are too low but again, eat when you're hungry, right?? I know others aren't eating much more and doing okay but we're all different so. I'm kinda scared to increase but have to find what works I guess? So far I've had 3 scrambled eggs with butter and pulled 8 ribs out for supper instead of the usual 4 so we'll see if that helps. Thank you so much for all your help and support. This really makes a difference in many people lives. So very much appreciated.
Some people say eat a lot, some people say don't... A '72 says eat when you're hungry which really works cause I've done it before without counting a blessed kcal.

This time, I started out 600-800 kcals & 6-7 carbs from July 5 to Jan 1 (I was experimenting -- aka I was my own guinea pig ). Now I'm around 1200-1400 & 10-12 carbs.

Like you said, you'll have to find out what works for you. Have you thought about NOT worry overmuch about the kcals -- just don't count them? MG doesn't and see how well that works for her?

I know you'll figure this out and lose all the weight you want -- because in the end, attitude and following the plan are the most essential things. I'm cheering you on over here.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanever View Post
I just did a calculation and in 12 weeks I have gone from 265-228...32 pounds gone! ( not counting the 5 lbs. I " lost" switching scales). Sometimes I'm so discouraged that its going so slowly, but this is a great rate! Not as fast as Jo or MG, but...I'll take it! Finishing a 3 day fat fast today, which I did just because I was sick, had no appetite, and seemed like it was better than eating nothing. Maybe its good to switch things up now and then, anyway.
Wow!! better, HUGE on the 32 lbs gone in 12 weeks. Whatcha mean it's not as quickly as mine? On average you've lost 2.66 lbs a week & I lost 3 lbs a week. That's pretty dang close in my book. I'm glad you took a second look at your losses and realized that you did very well -- it's always healthy to step back and really look at the data because your losses are amazing.

Remember you can only lose what your body allows you to lose especially if you are following the plan 100% as written (no cheats), then you know in your heart of hearts that you've done EVERYTHING in your power to lose the weight and it does come off. I always gave my self a mini goal of 10 lbs a month. I knew I'd always lose at least 10 lbs, and anything extra was "gravy" sorry for the food analogy.

You can do this better and I'm over here in NM cheering for you!!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
If you can find plain ground pork, I have a couple of sausage recipes that I can share. The recipe can be made into sausage patties but I roll the meat so it is sausage shaped (if that makes any sense to you) and bake them in the oven. You can pan fry them too but I find baking them easier.
Ditto what reptogirl said about the sausage recipe -- sounds like something I'd be willing to try.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptogirl View Post
Pls post the sausage recipes when u get a chance

Recipes are below.

I cut the salt back on these to 1/4 tsp or sometimes omit it completely.

You can also bake these in a 350F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

Italian Sausage
1 pound ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
2 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
2-3 tablespoons water.
Just mix together in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap or foil and
refrigerate a couple of hours or overnight.
To cook - form 6 patties from the meat and pan fry.

Country Breakfast Sausage

Yield: 6 Servings
1 lb Pork, ground
1 ts Cumin, ground
1/2 ts Thyme, dried leaf
1/2 ts Sage, dried leaf
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Pepper, freshly ground
1/8 ts Cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in medium bowl; mix well. Cover and
refrigerate overnight for flavors to blend.
2. Shape into 6 patties. Cook in lightly greased skillet over
medium heat about 15 minutes or until browned on both sides and centers are
no longer pink, turning occasionally.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #204
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bluebird
Thanks so much everyone for the welcome! I am looking forward to getting started on Monday.

Jo - I will be on the road for a full week. Going from the northeast to the southwest. It will be 6 nights in motels and then driving all day. My DH requires medical treatments 3x a week, so that is factored in. Plus there is also a pre-teen and a dog along for the ride!
Old 05-11-2014, 06:06 AM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Recipes are below.

Italian Sausage & Breakfast Sausage Recipes
Thanks for the recipes, canadianwoman -- they sound so yummy!!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-11-2014, 06:08 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

It's Sunday!!

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms in here!!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
Thanks so much everyone for the welcome! I am looking forward to getting started on Monday.

Jo - I will be on the road for a full week. Going from the northeast to the southwest. It will be 6 nights in motels and then driving all day. My DH requires medical treatments 3x a week, so that is factored in. Plus there is also a pre-teen and a dog along for the ride!
So where abouts in the southwest are you headed? I live in south central New Mexico.

If you need anything starting your new LC WOE, let us know and we'll help you the best we can! You can do this!!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Last10
Stats: 249/140/136
WOE: Primal
Start Date: Mostly LC since 1999 when I joined LCF
Happy Mothers Day to any mommies out there. I woke to a lovly email from my son. We plan to Skype later if we can. He's 9 hours head which makes it tricky at times.

I'm hanging in with good eats. Time for me to get a visit from the Whoosh Princess.

Have a fun Sunday everyone!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #209
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Andie.g
Stats: 161/159/125
Start Date: July 27, 2014
What Wonderful Cheerleaders!

Hi I'm a long time lurker and have to say thank you guys so much. Even if you are unaware you've all affected me in a positive way!

I've been on Atkins 72 since mid April. I started at 161 I have no idea what I way right now. I promised my self not to weigh or take measurements for the first 6 weeks as I wanted to concentrate on eating clean and simplifying my meals. What keeps me going is how amazing I feel!! I can't believe how much more energy I have I can't seem to sit still and my house is cleaner then it's ever been

Just a little background about me. I've been diagnosed with hypothyroid disease which is another reason I'm not trying to keep track of pounds as they may be slow coming off because of that.

Now on to what I need help with I'm having surgury on my gums and teeth May 22nd. I have to eat soft foods for somewhere between 3 to 6 months. I'm looking for any advice on what to eat during this time that will give me enough protein. Here is what I have so far

Eggs (any kind)
Ground hamburger/chicken/turkey soup or chilli

Yep now i'm out of ideas....

If you can help that would be great. And again thank you so much for all the wonderful cheerleaders on this board your all amazing!
Old 05-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimbersh47
Stats: 5'5" 330/231/149
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Andie--you can eat any kind of meat. Just put it through the food processor after it's cooked. I had to do this after my oral surgery. Worked great. Could still have my steak!
Closed Thread