Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #1891
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betterthanever
Stats: 265/192/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2014
Grr...I'm up a pound today. I could tell something was different in my body. Both Thurs and Fri I ate too much protein at one time. That's the only thing I did differently (besides eating 1 raspberry, a 1" square of watermelon, and 8 blueberries--and since I am under 5 carbs, I don't THINK that was the problem). All I can think is that eating too much protein at once made the excess protein change to glucose. First time was a response to being too long without eating; second was at the family picnic, where everyone was gorging, and I wanted to have a full plate, too. Bleh. I was back on plan yesterday, which for me includes limiting protein to 4-6 oz/meal. Hopefully in a couple days, I will start losing again. I HATE disruptions to my eating plan!!

Thanks, Jo, for the addiction post. I've known for ages that food is my addiction. I see now it is mostly limited to carbs, but I can substitute anything! Eliminating carbs makes it possible to treat my addiction and deal with it. Having carbs puts me in the addictive frame of mind where I really can't reason with myself!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #1892
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Better, I would say it's much more likely the fruit that caused your gain than the protein. You really have to overdo the protein to have it change to glucose, however the fruit is enough to interrupt your losses.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #1893
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Better, yes I do believe it was the fruit. Dr. Atkins said that even one bite of something off track can cause a problem. And like I said before, the whole idea of eating too much protein and having it convert to glucose is a newer idea and you really have to overdo it. The burger and hot dog didn't cause you to gain unless they had fillers in them. Hot dogs can have a lot of fillers, so if that was the case, then that could have been the problem. But it wouldn't have been because of too much protein. In the rare instances when I do have a hot dog, I only have the Boars Head Hot Dogs, and even then I always show a gain after eating one because of the sodium. So it could have been many things, but I would still think the fruit would be more of an issue than too much protein.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
Old 07-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #1894
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Trigger, that's the whole key right there. Finally "getting it". That switch flipping in our brain and we make no more excuses, no BS, no whining, we just have to do it. I totally get what you're saying. I feel like that's what happened for me too. I've had a lot going on in the 17 months since I started this way of eating. I've done a lot of traveling, had 2 surgeries (one of which meant a week in the hospital), and NEVER did I use it as an excuse to go off plan. Even in the hospital, I had my daughter bring me food that I could eat on plan once I was allowed food again. It's like you finally just want it badly enough not to allow yourself any of the fake excuses you were using before to cheat. I don't know why it took so long for me to finally "get it", but I'm so thankful that I did.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #1895
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Paulette! You should believe in yourself, you are doing a GREAT job and your head is definitely in it!

I do agree with Paulette and Bonny-Jean, I don't think we're here to coddle or encourage anyone in their cheats, and you never enjoy reading about the things that you're purposely trying to avoid. I don't often venture out into the other threads any more either because I don't want to read about all the things people are eating that I have no intention of eating, and I don't understand the reasons behind all the "cheating". Yes, we all slip now and then, but doing it over and over I don't understand. And I don't think we should be telling each other that it's okay, it's not.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #1896
Img
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Img
Better, the amount of fruit and therefore sugar you ate was minute, imo. If you ate unusually large quantities of allowable foods, that can cause a temporary 1 pound spike. It's not even a slip and will even out within 1-2 days.

Everything that has to do with metabolism and hormones is a deep mystery to the sciences. NOBODY understands the highly nonlinear correlations that are present in the human body. We know that the weight is regulated by the body's own control systems, but haven't got the foggiest idea how the body does that. When I was a postdoc at Oxford the boss's lab got funding to investigate these weight regulation mechanisms. We took samples and interviewed hundreds of people who came forward saying that they lost weight and had every intention to keep it off, but to their own surprise they self-sabotaged and regained the weight, at least partially in some cases and completely in others.
The only thing we could reliably conclude is that the most dangerous period of time is when the dieter has attained his or her goal weight and is maintaining it. The body attempts to reinstate the weight that it's most used to being, ie the 'fat weight', somewhat like JJ says that inwardly she's still Fat Jo. The real battle is the 2-3 years that follow the drastic weight loss, it's the time to help reprogram the body out of its 'fat image'.
This isn't what the dieters want to hear, but it's important that they do. People put effort and commitment into the weight loss but the crucial battle is the 2-3 years after te goal weight has been reached.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #1897
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PauletticusJ
Stats: 331/268/175
Start Date: 3/2/2014
P.S. everyone - I am only 2 lbs from hitting my 50lb goal. I have been losing quickly the past week, and expect a lull very soon, it normally happens like that. but I hope it waits until I hit that 50 lb mark!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #1898
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

For ME, the fruit would do much more damage than the protein. Everyone is different, but I still don't think that was anywhere near enough protein to be the problem.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #1899
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ejw55
Stats: 167/144.6/115
Start Date: May 2012
married or not, kids or not?

I was wondering who is married out there and/ or who has children living at home...??
If I was single and didn't have any children, this WOE would be no problem...but when you have other people to cook for it becomes a challenge...I am usually total in control as I do the shopping and the cooking.
Most of the time I will do a meat, veggie or salad and a starch (that is just how I grew up) I will only do the meat and salad or maybe 1/4 of the veggie if it is green.
Breakfast and lunch are easy because I only make it for myself.

What challenges do you face at home as far as food?

Always treat people the way you would like to be treated!
“Don’t eat anything your great-great grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.” ~Michael Pollan
Old 07-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #1900
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am not married, but my BF and I have been together for 10 years, and living together for 8 years. I started this way of eating about a month before he decided to join me on it. I think he wanted to make sure I was going to stick with it first. Doing it together makes life SO much easier. He's not as strict as I am. When we go out to eat, he will take a cheat meal, and he never did a strict induction. He's always eaten his veggies. For the most part, there isn't even anything in our house that isn't on plan. Again, his version of the plan isn't as strict, but it does mean that there isn't bread, pasta, potatoes, rice or anything like that in our house.

My son is with us for the summer, and for the most part, he just eats what we eat. Dinner every night is meat and veggies. I don't feel any need to make carby side dishes for him because they just aren't good for him. I do have some fruit in the house for him, and I did buy bread so he can make sandwiches for lunch, but other than that he just eats what we eat.

If I was trying to do this back in the days when I had 6 kids at home and was a stay at home mom, it would be harder. Mostly because of the cost I think. When I had 6 kids at home, we ate a lot of pasta, bread, and budget friendly meals.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #1901
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HollyElli
Stats: 285/280/150
WOE: Atkins "72"
Start Date: June 8, 2014
I ran into an issue today. We do communion the first Sunday of the month. It is a small piece of sweet white bread dipped in grape juice. I did not take communion but I am not sure I feel right having to skip communion. I will if it is my only choice but I don't like it. Any ideas, I am afraid just one bite will either stall me or make me crave again.

Also, I love this thread. No longer read other threads because I'm afraid it will lead me to think I can go beyond what A-72 allowes. Yesterday at a family gathering I had salad burger and chicken. Took all I had not to eat the fresh berries. I even cut and passed out the Apple pie. I had my fancy low carb Italian cream soda and did fine. To be honest the berries were harder to resist than the pie. Lol
Old 07-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #1902
Img
Senior LCF Member

My BF and I don't live together, but we stay at each other's place quite often and go out with common friends, or his coworkers, or my coworkers. He eats carbs and all sorts of non-Atkins things, and I keep BF-friendly food at home in case he turns up and I need to cook something for him. I have some chicken and burgers in his fridge, so it's fair.
Other than you, my thread-friends here, the only other LC person i know is a lady at my gym, but we only smile at each other and say hello mostly.
I do understand you, Ellen, it's not easy when your household isn't LC, and you yourself are building up your LC lifestyle. It does get very easy though, just needs time.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #1903
Img
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyElli View Post
I ran into an issue today. We do communion the first Sunday of the month. It is a small piece of sweet white bread dipped in grape juice. I did not take communion but I am not sure I feel right having to skip communion. I will if it is my only choice but I don't like it. Any ideas, I am afraid just one bite will either stall me or make me crave again.

Also, I love this thread. No longer read other threads because I'm afraid it will lead me to think I can go beyond what A-72 allowes. Yesterday at a family gathering I had salad burger and chicken. Took all I had not to eat the fresh berries. I even cut and passed out the Apple pie. I had my fancy low carb Italian cream soda and did fine. To be honest the berries were harder to resist than the pie. Lol
Congratulations on resisting the berries!!!!

As for communion, this is down to personal choice. Between communion and Atkins, I personally would choose communion and ask God to keep me craving-free. Dr. Atkins was a lovely man, don't get me wrong, but in my worldview Atkins and God just aren't of comparable magnitude.
However, see how you feel, and what you feel is the right thing for you.

I like this thread too, it has nice people and recipes.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #1904
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
That's a great way of thinking HollyElli and that is what will make you successful. I don't know how to answer your quandry? Hmm, it is a very good topic of debate though. I might ask the Lord to forgive me cause he would know why. I don't know girl but I do understand your conundrum. Let me know what you decide but the most part, kuddos to you for NOT taking it. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Bonny-Jean; 07-06-2014 at 02:46 PM..
Old 07-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #1905
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Holly, I don't go to church every week, because I work on Sundays, but when I go to visit my kids, I do go to church with them on Sundays and I do take communion. Like you, I struggled with this, but I do it. I did figure it was more important to do it than to not do it. Honestly, I do still cringe each time I do it, which isn't good, but it's a mental thing that I just can't shake. However it's never caused me any problems.

Good for you on resisting the berries! Keep it up, you're doing great.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #1906
Major LCF Poster!

Hmm, our church just has this tiny, coin sized, paper thin "wafer" and the red wine only touches my lips, nothing goes in my mouth but I do lick my lips.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #1907
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betterthanever
Stats: 265/192/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2014
MG... Just digging into your thoughts on my fruit. I didn't even consider it off plan. Off induction, yes (which I normally follow), but... If I stayed under 10, 15 carbs, wouldn't that still be considered on plan? Just trying to get your thoughts. Maybe like you said, it was the fact that it was fruit, as little as it was.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #1908
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HollyElli
Stats: 285/280/150
WOE: Atkins "72"
Start Date: June 8, 2014
I think I am going to not take it. I just don't want to have any back slides. I figure God knows my heart and understands why I will make the decision not to. The usher asked if I needed it brought to me and I explained I had diabetes. My mother-in-law had issues. Lol
Old 07-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #1909
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Better, I guess it's a matter of semantics. To me, staying on plan means staying on induction. Now that's just me. If you're ready to move up the Ongoing Weight Loss ladder, then that's a different story. That's an individual thing and each person chooses when to start. I weighted until I was at my goal weight to add any carbs back in. You don't have to do that, that's just what I did, and I know that Bonny Jean and Jo did it the same way. If you're ready to move up the OWL ladder, then you just add back in 5 carbs each day for one week and see how you do. If you're still losing and you want to add more, then you add in 5 more carbs the next week, and so on.

For me, staying on plan meant staying on strict induction until I got to goal. Anything else would have been cheating. I know a lot of people say that you need to cheat because it's a way of life so you have to tweak the plan and cheat sometimes to make it work with your life. I disagree, I think you need to change your life to suit your plan. I still do everything I've always done, in fact I do more than I used to do, and I never ever have a need to go off plan, and it's definitely my way of life.

Again, this is JUST ME, and I'm definitely not passing judgement, I'm just answering your question. Those were just my thoughts. As I said, if you had a hot dog, then it could have also been the sodium in the hot dog. For me, fruit is not on induction, and if I ate fruit and then showed a gain, I would assume it was the fruit before I would think it would be protein. In induction, Dr Atkins wanted us to be at a biological zero on carbs. Fruit doesn't fit into that, but it does fit into Ongoing Weight Loss if you're ready to move up the ladder, and there's nothing wrong with that. I just didn't want to do that until I got to goal.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #1910
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Holly, good choice. It's between you and God and He definitely knows your heart.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #1911
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyElli View Post
I think I am going to not take it. I just don't want to have any back slides. I figure God knows my heart and understands why I will make the decision not to.

Last edited by Bonny-Jean; 07-06-2014 at 03:29 PM..
Closed Thread