Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #1561
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Louella
Stats: 327/224/179 5'10" 43 y/o
WOE: Atkins '72 - Started on 6/26/14 @ 235 lbs
Start Date: June 2005
I've been following this thread with great interest... I've never done Atkins '72 and have always succeeded on the new Atkins, but I am having sooo much trouble now! Like you, Holly, I'm a stress eater and have been under a ton of stress for the past nine months since I've caring for my mom where I ended up gaining the weight. Now I'm finding I can't seem to lose it again when in the past it was so easy! I really don't have any money to pick up the book... Does anyone know if it's available as a free pdf I can download?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #1562
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HollyElli
Stats: 285/280/150
WOE: Atkins "72"
Start Date: June 8, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louella View Post
I've been following this thread with great interest... I've never done Atkins '72 and have always succeeded on the new Atkins, but I am having sooo much trouble now! Like you, Holly, I'm a stress eater and have been under a ton of stress for the past nine months since I've caring for my mom where I ended up gaining the weight. Now I'm finding I can't seem to lose it again when in the past it was so easy! I really don't have any money to pick up the book... Does anyone know if it's available as a free pdf I can download?
I tried finding it as a free PDF with no luck. I even had my husband (who can find anything on the net look and there was no luck). Really after reading the entire thing in two days I can tell you the most important part is the rules part that is posted at the start of this thread. If you have specific question I can look them up for you just let me know.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #1563
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyElli View Post
I tried finding it as a free PDF with no luck. I even had my husband (who can find anything on the net look and there was no luck). Really after reading the entire thing in two days I can tell you the most important part is the rules part that is posted at the start of this thread. If you have specific question I can look them up for you just let me know.
That's great to know! Thank you!!! I did save the rules in my files, but was hoping maybe there were menu plans in the book. Anyone know if there are Atkins '72 specific menu plans available here?
Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #1564
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bmac13
Stats: 231.3/174.5/145
WOE: Atkins '72 Induction
Start Date: May 12, 2014
Quote:
It is not available in PDF. The book is from 1972. I tried to see if a printing company would copy and scan it for me, but I need permission from the publisher. The book literally cost me $6.50 with shipping. There are a ton of them available on Amazon.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #1565
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That's great to know! Thank you!!! I did save the rules in my files, but was hoping maybe there were menu plans in the book. Anyone know if there are Atkins '72 specific menu plans available here?
There are menu plans in the book-TONS OF THEM actually.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #1566
Img
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Img
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnPaleoGuy View Post
just a quick drive-by. For a quick easy recipe for bone broth; go check nom nom paleo. She has a pressure cooker recipe that takes ~45' to make.
Have a great day folks.
I've tried her recipe several times, and it came out very nice. I used my OnePot multicooker/pressure cooker.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #1567
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
BMAC, that may just be the way your body loses. Seriously, I wouldn't give up your BCP. That's the way I lose too. I'll go several weeks bouncing up and down up and down, and then all of a sudden I'll have one week where I lose like crazy. All in all, it averages out to a normal loss for the month, but it all comes at once. And I almost never change the way I eat, it's pretty much the same menu every day. It could be that this is just the way your body loses.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #1568
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
BMAC, that may just be the way your body loses. Seriously, I wouldn't give up your BCP. That's the way I lose too. I'll go several weeks bouncing up and down up and down, and then all of a sudden I'll have one week where I lose like crazy. All in all, it averages out to a normal loss for the month, but it all comes at once. And I almost never change the way I eat, it's pretty much the same menu every day. It could be that this is just the way your body loses.
Thanks! I'm sticking with it and I'm keeping my BCP for now. I'm good with just my one baby right now! I'm still feeling good, in ketosis according to Ketostix and my clothes fitting looser too. Just frustrating. Oh well, if that is the way I lose, then not much I can do about it anyway.

Oh, I made some AMAZING pork scaloppini last night. Soooo good! And I have left overs for tonight-wooooo!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #1569
Img
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post

Yet another important thing that is very real, but Atkins doesn't talk about it detail....
Old 06-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #1570
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Which time?
I'm about to spit nails!! I had my little ticker siggy yesterday and when I went to update it, I saw I had to start all over. Getting a ticker on here is mindboggling.

Anyway, I lost 1 lb. Still up from my latest JUDDD loss, but it's okay. Two more and I'll meet than, then it's downward we go. Better be, anyway.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #1571
Img
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Atkins '72 doesn't help with stress-driven eating. The '72 book is simply stricter with carbs, allows much fewer of them, and doesn't have the concept of net carbs. People who do well on the '72 version are typically the carb-sensitive ones who followed the 1992 version and had either no results or constant yo-yoing. Another good thing about the '72 is that it's clear and simple. New Atkins allows too many things that can potentially affect insulin and hence weight loss.

Your situation seems different. You explained that you had no trouble losing on the new Atkins, but because of stress you are struggling now. The problem is, stress jacks up insulin, and with high insulin there will not be weight loss. We've got to come up with a stress management strategy, first and foremost. Of course, eating fewer carbs does help, but it's not the whole solution in a case like yours.

As far as eating is concerned, are you eating strictly Atkins-approved things, or you find yourself eating stuff that isn't ideal?
Old 06-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #1572
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: esquala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Img View Post

Yet another important thing that is very real, but Atkins doesn't talk about it detail....
Good point. ^^^

Has anyone ever compiled a list of these things? I'd surely like to see it. You know what else is weird? The difference between the two Atkins books - like coffee/caffeine being allowed during induction on one, but not the other. There are many other differences that I haven't seen addressed, but always wonder about.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #1573
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Img View Post
Atkins '72 doesn't help with stress-driven eating. The '72 book is simply stricter with carbs, allows much fewer of them, and doesn't have the concept of net carbs. People who do well on the '72 version are typically the carb-sensitive ones who followed the 1992 version and had either no results or constant yo-yoing. Another good thing about the '72 is that it's clear and simple. New Atkins allows too many things that can potentially affect insulin and hence weight loss.

Your situation seems different. You explained that you had no trouble losing on the new Atkins, but because of stress you are struggling now. The problem is, stress jacks up insulin, and with high insulin there will not be weight loss. We've got to come up with a stress management strategy, first and foremost. Of course, eating fewer carbs does help, but it's not the whole solution in a case like yours.

As far as eating is concerned, are you eating strictly Atkins-approved things, or you find yourself eating stuff that isn't ideal?
Thank you, img. I know you're absolutely right. I was just thinking how maybe I'm not ready for this journey just yet. I know I have to do gluten free because I have an intolerance, but I should also be doing low sugar because of there being diabetes on both sides of my family. It's been hard for me to eat enough to feel full on Atkins more recently, though, which I know is due to stress. And with such limited resources... I'm having more of a difficult time seeing how I can succeed here... My family doesn't understand no matter how much I try to educate them on the low carb lifestyle. Sometime when they offer me food, I have to take it, even if it's not low carb. So no, I'm not eating strictly Atkins-approved things. I know for a fact that's the reason for my weight fluctuations... I am just at a loss here... I just keep working towards improving my situation and keep hoping for the best. I feel like that's all I can really do...
Old 06-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #1574
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedsmile View Post
I have another funny... I'll try to stop after this post. My dh said who r you typing to? I said my new friends. I'm talkin about the dogs. he said.."They're not planning to eat him are they?" ha ha ha
Ha-ha... that was pretty funny!!! So what's your furkid's name?
btw: I post like crazy sometimes when I get home from work and start loading up with caffeine and nicotine! Yikes... too many "tines" going on!!!
Keep posting!!!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #1575
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
that is funny crookedsmile!!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #1576
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimbersh47
Stats: 5'5" 330/231/149
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: January 2, 2014
I, too, need to figure out a way to de-stress!! I was doing so well with the weight loss and now I am gaining even though I've not changed my menu
My life is great but both of my boys are struggling BIG TIME! It is so upsetting for me to see them so upset. I am so stressed out and not getting much sleep either. Does anyone know what I can do to decrease the stress? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #1577
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HollyElli
Stats: 285/280/150
WOE: Atkins "72"
Start Date: June 8, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbersh47 View Post
I, too, need to figure out a way to de-stress!! I was doing so well with the weight loss and now I am gaining even though I've not changed my menu
My life is great but both of my boys are struggling BIG TIME! It is so upsetting for me to see them so upset. I am so stressed out and not getting much sleep either. Does anyone know what I can do to decrease the stress? Any help would be appreciated!
Not sure this will help but, I am a potter. I spend one day a week (usually Saturday because I am a teacher) in my studio. I have not had time lately and I noticed can tell. I start my new job Monday and we start moving Saturday so yikes! I have marked off tomorrow as full and spending some time playing in the mud

Do you have something you love to do and just feel better after you do it, even just a bubble bath? If you do make sure you make time for it.

Oh and I hear yoga...
Old 06-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #1578
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betterthanever
Stats: 265/188/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2014
Kimber, remember that you are not in control of everything (boy, as much as we'd like to be, we are not!). Sometimes we just have to accept that things aren't the way we'd like them to be, and let go. Looking at your signature, I can also suggest that sometimes God lets us suffer difficulties, but He promises to be with us through them all, and also promises to work good out of them, for those whom He has called.
Taking a brisk walk definitely helps me, as well as a hot bath and a book. What is stressing you? If it's too much to do, making a list and doing a bunch of small things and crossing them off can be therapeutic. Or, giving yourself permission to NOT get everything done! I'm a stress eater--that's how I got to my high weight. Learning to deal with stress is going to be a lifetime learning thing for me. ((hugs))
Old 06-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #1579
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crookedsmile
Stats: (293/276/nt sure
WOE: Atkins 1972 version
Start Date: 06-24-14
Louella - I love your pic. You've done such a great job! Even with the stress. I'm really new at this. I decided that this is the healthiest way for me to eat. I have been thinking for a long time now, that refined, processed food carbs are bad. This WOE, seems like is going to take a lot of stress off of me. The list is simple, I have it memorized already. I ordered the version 1972 book from Alibris. Amazon, would have been just as simple though. I also have trouble with family/friends with what I eat. Sometimes I act like a lamb, sometimes I act strong like a lion. (yeah yeah, I know it's not March) I believe this group is going to give me pep talks when I feel like a lamb. This is a supportive place! Lean on us.

Bmac - I'm looking forward to the menu plans in the book! My Dad was a chef and he use to make Scaloppini. Mama mia. Now you know why I need to lose weight. poor Dad, blaming him for my weight.

Vanilla - Good job on your loss.

Bonnie Jean - My boykin's name is Roscoe, and my Collie's name is Sissy. (she came with the name..) What's your Poochie's names? My kids have guinea pigs, which I love too. Lulu, Cookie and Gigi. It drives my dh nuts to have the guinea's. ha ha

Kimber - I'm sorry to hear your boys r struggling. My entire family likes to take hot baths at times to relax. My dh takes the kids on long bike rides to de-stress.

I have to go into town tomorrow a.m and we live 30 min away. Planning big shopping and I'll be able to find out how much I weigh. (dh works for himself and got paid earlier this week! I'm gonna spend it. ha ha) I'm anxious about what the scale is going to say. I am looking to make chicken broth with a roasted chicken I made. I'm going to make it simple with salt, pepper and celery. I know that onions is not on the list. If I make the broth with onions and then drain everything, do you think it'll mess me up? I don't want to take any chances. Maybe I'll make it without. I guess it's not that big of a deal. I wanted to make it to ease my stomache ache.

I hope we all enjoy continued success. Even if the scale ain't moving today, we are making better choices.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #1580
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crookedsmile
Stats: (293/276/nt sure
WOE: Atkins 1972 version
Start Date: 06-24-14
Betterthanever - It seems that hot baths is leading the poll on de-stressing huh?
Old 06-26-2014, 04:43 AM   #1581
Senior LCF Member

Good morning!

Yo-yoing again this morning, but in the right direction by a pound! Woohoo!

I think I realized something very valuable yesterday. I want this weight off as soon as possible, that's obvious. But, this is the best WOE I have ever had and I will be eating low carb for the rest of my life. So, instead of worrying about how fast the weight comes off or how much I yo-yo, I'm just "working the plan". The pounds will come off, they have no choice.the eviction notice has been posted!!! I'm just learning to accept that I may not lose consistently all the time. I think stressing about it has probably done a number on my numbers too.

Soooo, no more stressing about something I cannot control. I eat on plan everyday and I feel great.

Crooked-im pretty sure the scaloppini I made is not traditional...I'm not sure exactly what is in the sauce of a traditional one, but my jus only had chicken broth, rosemary and emulsified butter. It was soooo good. Still delicious last night for left over too!

Tonight I'm making chicken with chimichuri sauce. I'm pretty sure parsley is ok, but I have to look it up in the book.

I hope everyone has a great day!!

Mini goals:

200lbs by August 12, 2014 Weigh in at weight loss challenge (Made it-July 18, 2014)
180lbs by October 4, 2014 Costa Rica Trip (Made it-Sept 12, 2014)
165lbs by November 25, 2014 My Birthday
145lbs by April 2, 2015
Old 06-26-2014, 04:48 AM   #1582
Senior LCF Member

Louella- I completely understand the problem with friends and family. I have learned to just stop talking about low carb with anyone that is not doing it. Not many people understand and it just frustrates me to try to "educate" people about my WOE. So now I just say no thanks to things instead of explaining that I cannot have certain things. The best thing I've found in combating food that I cannot have is bringing a small Tupperware container with already mashed up eggs and a small container with mayo to mix for egg salad on the spot. There's tons of fat in there so it fills you up nicely and then just drink as much water as you need to keep "busy" so you aren't tempted by the food that is present.

I hope you stay here, A '72 is great. And this group is amazing for support!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:16 AM   #1583
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ejw55
Stats: 167/144.6/115
Start Date: May 2012
I think I have figured out why I wasn't losing...I won't lose on less than 5 carbs....I upped it just a smidge to probably 8-10 and the scale is finally moving...not a big whoosh but a trickle....I love the trickle

146.6------24.....-.8
146.4------25.....-.2
145.6------26.....-.8

carbs I had...5 slices of cooked carrot, green salad with 5 grape tomatoes and a glass of wine!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #1584
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedsmile View Post
Bonnie Jean - My boykin's name is Roscoe, and my Collie's name is Sissy. (she came with the name..) What's your Poochie's names? My kids have guinea pigs, which I love too. Lulu, Cookie and Gigi. It drives my dh nuts to have the guinea's. ha ha
My yellow boy in the pic left me last year but his name was Buddy. Awesome rescue dog! None of my dogs over the years loved me like that boy did. I so miss him. My black girl's name is Bandit and sadly is aging as well. She's 12 in August, knock wood!! I have a budgie and my ds and his gf just got a little black kitten. Not sure why this little one (4 mons old) is scared of EVERYTHING!!!!

Hugs to all the furbabies out there!!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #1585
Senior LCF Member

I saw this on some website somewhere and thought I would post it:

Berkley Biologist said: "Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat."

Damn those fat cells!!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #1586
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PauletticusJ
Stats: 331.8/263.4/175
Start Date: 3/2/2014
Yes, bmac13!!!! - This is from a very well known and well circulated report - I also have a copy of the entire article! I think I posted it on this blog not long age, too! It is nice to be constantly reminded of this fact because you will see your weight go up & down - over and over and over as the months go by, but always on a downward trend. Your body loves water, and is mainly composed of water. It likes to have plump cells. But it can't just hold all the water forever, so it eventually lets go of it. That is what whooshes are all about!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #1587
Major LCF Poster!

AMEN TO THAT!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #1588
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauletticusJ View Post
Yes, bmac13!!!! - This is from a very well known and well circulated report - I also have a copy of the entire article! I think I posted it on this blog not long age, too! It is nice to be constantly reminded of this fact because you will see your weight go up & down - over and over and over as the months go by, but always on a downward trend. Your body loves water, and is mainly composed of water. It likes to have plump cells. But it can't just hold all the water forever, so it eventually lets go of it. That is what whooshes are all about!
Yes, I remember you had posted something about the cells keeping water after the fat goes! I didn't realize it was from the same source. I'm printing this blurb and putting it on my fridge to remind me that the fat cells are the enemy and they are trying to sabotage me with not only keeping the fat in them, but holding on to my water too!!

Again, Damn those fat cells!!!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #1589
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! I kinda took a day off yesterday and this morning see I gained another pound... In looking over the '72 plan, I'm thinking if I pare down my choices, that may help me de-stress a bit... Constantly worrying about how many carbs are in the foods I've been eating were part of the problem. I just don't have time to record everything.... so I'm thinking if I can just look at the list and eat only the foods that are there, then hopefully that will help. So... day one on Atkins 72!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #1590
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I kinda took a day off yesterday and this morning see I gained another pound... In looking over the '72 plan, I'm thinking if I pare down my choices, that may help me de-stress a bit... Constantly worrying about how many carbs are in the foods I've been eating were part of the problem. I just don't have time to record everything.... so I'm thinking if I can just look at the list and eat only the foods that are there, then hopefully that will help. So... day one on Atkins 72!
To be honest, I haven't counted a carb in over a month. I eat ONLY meat with spices(usually cooked in butter, baked in butter or oil, grilled), eggs (boiled, fried in butter), small amount of cheese-2 oz per day, 2-3 Tbsp of Mayo per day. You can have the two cups of lettuce per day too, but that is pretty much A '72 induction. Good luck!! You can do it!
Closed Thread