Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Cfine, I don't think those feelings ever go away, I still fight them after 15 months on plan. Good for you for hanging tough today!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Jo,I forgot to tell you earlier, but a huge congratulations for 10 months on plan! Your success is such a motivation and you're such a great addition to these boards!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /152 / 138 - 143
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidergirl View Post
I can't drink almond or soy, what can I use to cut the hwc? That tastes good. It was hard enough cutting out my coffeemate and natural cane sugar.
Can I be so forward as to ask is it the taste or a health issue??
Old 05-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I made it my first day back on plan. I am very proud of myself because it was VERY hard as I had a stressful day and just wanted to medicate with food.
Proud of you too!!! YES, it is very hard. Every single day is hard. This is a bonafide addiction just like any other and we will be challenged on a daily basis, hopefully for the rest of our lives. I know that sounds insurmountable but you CAN do it. Get up each morning cfine and be conscious of everything you eat EACH day. Then at the end of the day you're ready for sleep and you'll realize you just knocked another day off your journey. Then you do again the next day and the day after that and then OMG, a month has gone by and you're "x" of pounds lighter.
Don't look so far ahead that you're overwhelmed with the numbers. C'mon cfine ... you can do this and YOU WILL do this. We're here for you so just come and let us know "what's up" Hey, we're all in this together man!

Last edited by Bonny-Jean; 05-05-2014 at 06:51 PM..
Old 05-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 181/179.4/140. (55 yo)
WOE: WOE - My own way.
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
Anyone who might have a "texture" issue with Silk Almond Milk, I currently use Blue Diamond Almond Milk. In the Silk brand, the milk seems very thick, almost like thickening pudding. The Blue Diamond brand is much closer to the texture of regular milk. I have a serious problem with food and drink textures that are thick or "slimy" like pudding or oatmeal. Even Jello takes some serious thought before I can eat it.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

HomeWorkerMT: Ignore this post. I wrote a whole blah, blah, blah and then realized you don't care for SILK milk. Sorry.

Last edited by Bonny-Jean; 05-05-2014 at 07:19 PM..
Old 05-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DlaneyLynn
Stats: 230/211/200
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: 4/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
NEW DISCOVERY
Well, for me anyway. My supermarket was out of Silk Original Almond Unsweetened at 1 carb per cup so decided to try their "new" Silk Almond/Coconut Blend unsweetened and it's <1 carb per cup. If anyone uses Almond Milk, this blend is even better. OMG, it tastes so good. I was having trouble with the Almond Milk cause it does taste very almondy (if that's a word). Anyway, I don't know if the coconut kind of neutralizes the almond taste but it's just devine. I really don't taste coconut at all. It just seems to mellow out the almond taste. It really is good. Any coffee drinkers looking for a delicious way to reduce the calories of hwc should give this a try. I recommend it 100%. Thank you Mthergoos for getting me off the hwc. I now have my hwc and Almond/Coco down to a 80/20 split mix, next week maybe 100% Almond/Coco blend.
Are almond and coconut milk part of A72? I had no idea.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWorkerMT View Post
Anyone who might have a "texture" issue with Silk Almond Milk, I currently use Blue Diamond Almond Milk. In the Silk brand, the milk seems very thick, almost like thickening pudding. The Blue Diamond brand is much closer to the texture of regular milk. I have a serious problem with food and drink textures that are thick or "slimy" like pudding or oatmeal. Even Jello takes some serious thought before I can eat it.
I agree with you about the texture issues with Silk. It is so gross! My absolute favorite is the Kroger brand. Simply natural I think is what they call it here.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Another day down. I've really tightened up my program thanks to you all. Three carbs today from a cup of mustard greens. I'm not sure if that's the green salad Dr. A had in mind, but the carb count is almost as low as green leaf lettuce and I like the spice. 1300 calories...68 percent fat. I'll probably have a spoonful of coconut oil before bed to up that percentage.
Sorry for any typos.. I'm in my "smart" phone.

My problem is with this unrelenting constipation still. I took 750mg of magnesium citrate to see if that helps. So far, no luck. I've tried everything. Grrrr. Can someone with a 72 book tell me if Dr A said we could use physillium in induction?

Hope everyone is having a great night.

Oh exciting news. We keep ferrets as pets and my friend who runs the local ferret rescue called me this morning about a tiny baby that was abandoned. He's wants me to take the little guy in. I'm so excited. The babies are so cute.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlaneyLynn View Post
Are almond and coconut milk part of A72? I had no idea.
<1 carb per cup. Why would it not be??? It's actually much less carbs for the same amount of hwc?? I agree it's an acquired taste but if I can have something like hwc in my coffee and have less carbs then I can get used to it but as I was saying this Almond/Coconut Blend has a very mild almond taste and I find it very palatable but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Bonny-Jean; 05-05-2014 at 07:51 PM..
Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
<1 carb per cup. Why would it not be??? It's actually much less carbs for the same amount of hwc?? I agree it's an acquired taste but if I can have something like hwc in my coffee and have less carbs then I can get used to it but as I was saying this Almond/Coconut Blend has a very mild almond taste and I find it very palatable but that's just my opinion.

I love almond milk, but A72 is so strictly meant to be only meat, eggs, cheese and fat (at least that's been mentioned several times over the last few days) AND we aren't supposed to worry about lowering our fat and calories so it just seems contradictory to the rules of A72 and is a bit confusing.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Dlaney, sometimes when we've been on induction for a long period of time, we find we need to tweak things slightly to find what keeps us losing. Bonny found that too much heavy whipping cream stalled her, Jo has found she can't eat cheese, I've found I need o keep my fat up, etc..... Of course we've all been on induction for a very long time. So you're absolutely right, stick to meat, eggs, cheese and fats and don't worry about your calories. As you get closer to goal, or you've been on induction for a long time, you may need to teak things to suit your own body, or you may not. We're all so different that sometimes our bodies respond differently.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Dlaney, sometimes when we've been on induction for a long period of time, we find we need to tweak things slightly to find what keeps us losing. Bonny found that too much heavy whipping cream stalled her, Jo has found she can't eat cheese, I've found I need o keep my fat up, etc..... Of course we've all been on induction for a very long time. So you're absolutely right, stick to meat, eggs, cheese and fats and don't worry about your calories. As you get closer to goal, or you've been on induction for a long time, you may need to teak things to suit your own body, or you may not. We're all so different that sometimes our bodies respond differently.

Got it! Thank you for clarifying.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Last10
Stats: 249/141/136
WOE: Primal, Intermittant M&E
Start Date: Mostly LC since 1999 when I joined LCF
Just Jo, mega congratulations on your terrific 10 months on plan. You have exceptional results to show for it!

Lilac, wishing you a very Happy Birthday!

I've loved reding everything all of you have been busy posting today. Thank you!

I hadn't read that summary of 72 and new plan before. It really hit the mark and reminds me hy 72 is so important if I'm going to make this work.

I have been messing with these last 10 for a long time. I appreciate bing in the company of all of you to help me stay motivated.

Nitey-Nite!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:07 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250

Good Tuesday Morning Everybody!

I see we have a lot of new faces! to all of you!

michelle -- Awww poor Davyd, just tell him that it took him a while to put the weight on and it'll take a while to take it off. I hope he doesn't get too discouraged cause he's doing so well.

Huge to you for the scales being good to you!! Work it girlie!!!

Yep michelle, I lost 35lbs the first month and I'd probably would have lost more between Nov and Dec but I gave myself PERMISSION to pig out during Thanksgiving -- 4 day worth Gained 9 lbs and it took me about a week to lose those pounds!! I'll never do that again... that was so stupid.

Lilac -- Thank you for elequently stating what we were trying to say. And welcome to our LC Party and Happy Belated B'day!

BulldogMom -- Why do you restrict what time of day you eat your veggies -- I'm just curious is all... Hello BTW.

Paulette -- Thanks for the article, I remember reading something similar a couple of years ago -- its great info to have.

Lauri -- FYI: Strawberries and avacados are not Induction Level foods -- just to let you know.

Bonny -- The Silk Almond Coconut Blend Unsweetened sounds right up my alley -- wow 35 kcals per 8oz and only 1 carb gram!! Truly amazing!! Thanks for sharing that!!

Glidergirl -- Like MG said about her BFs SF creamers, I use to do International Delight Sugar Free Creamers, 20 kcals and 1 carb gram per T. Read the labels, the ones I've tried are Hazelnut Cream & Caramel. I just switched over to 1/2 & 1/2 with 20 kcals and 0.5 carb gram per T. But I'm seriously thinking of switching over to the Silk Almond Coconut Blend that Bonny recommended.

cfine -- Congrats to coming back to the plan -- one day at a time... you can do this!! And I love your Yoda quote!!

MtherGoos -- Awwww shucks, thanks for the kind words, MG.

Dlaney -- Interesting point, about the almonds and coconut milk, but you gotta remember A '72 was written in....72... and foods have changed. I think if we continue to read nutrition facts labels and adhere to the consumption of no or ultra-low carb foods/drinks we are still "A '72 purists"!

And MG was right about the cheese for me, it's also nuts because they both stall me or make me gain. Then I realized it's not the cheese or nuts, its me !! I have portion control issues and can't stop myself -- I mean who wants a hand full of nuts???Soooooo I'd rather have NONE which is my way of dealing with my portion control issues. That's one of the reasons I count kcals as well...Keeps me in control.

Last10 -- Thanks for the kind words, wow it's been such an interesting journey and I'm looking forward to maintaining the weight loss FOREVER because I REFUSE to REGAIN!!!!

Have a wonderful day everybody!!

Jo =]

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a Diet,
It’s my Salvation, my KEY to being
Healthy, Happy and Thinner!”
Old 05-06-2014, 12:33 AM   #106
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: vessel of prayer
Stats: 210/200/140
WOE: low carb/atkins 72
Start Date: April 25 2014 again
Hi !! I tried reading all the posts but way too many. Going to start 72 tomorrow. I have been doing atkins for two weeks. But used more veggies than I should have. Lost eight pounds in two weeks tho. I really have lots to lose so going for 72. Love reading everyones stats. You all are doing so good.

A note on oopsies. I love them but they stall me. Anyone know why? going to stick with meat, eggs, cheese, lettuce for at least two weeks to see how I do. I work the night shift so I am up til around 9 am. hoping the night shift won't mess up my diet. Nice meeting everyone.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:00 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by vessel of prayer View Post
Hi !! I tried reading all the posts but way too many. Going to start 72 tomorrow. I have been doing atkins for two weeks. But used more veggies than I should have. Lost eight pounds in two weeks tho. I really have lots to lose so going for 72. Love reading everyones stats. You all are doing so good.

A note on oopsies. I love them but they stall me. Anyone know why? going to stick with meat, eggs, cheese, lettuce for at least two weeks to see how I do. I work the night shift so I am up til around 9 am. hoping the night shift won't mess up my diet. Nice meeting everyone.
Hey Vessel, WOW on losing 8 lbs your first 2 weeks, that's AWESOME!!

About the Oopsie Rolls -- cream cheese is not allowed in Induction of A'72 and the Rolls have about 1 carb gram a piece. In A '72 Induction, Dr. A said to "cut your intake of carbohydrates down to what is biologically zero." The cheese allowed is naturally aged hard cheeses and no more than 3-4 oz a day.

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a Diet,
It’s my Salvation, my KEY to being
Healthy, Happy and Thinner!”
Old 05-06-2014, 04:08 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LilacBruze
Stats: 272/231.2/175ish
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 7/19/2014
Thanks for the birthday wishes and making me feel welcome!! And thanks for the compliments on the tattoo - lilies are my favorite flower.

Well, with my birthday being over, it's time for me to stop all this delicious meat and egg eating and get back to my HCG protocol. It's been a fun 4 days and I've gone through 6 lbs of beef tenderloin and over a dozen eggs.

The reason that I like HCG is that it is sort of a "boot camp" for getting my eating habits a bit under control. I am an emotional as well as binge eater and need the drastic measures to re-train my body and mind that food is fuel. It's not for everyone, and it's not meant to be a long-term diet or WOE. Once that is over, it's Atkins '72 for me all the way!

I do hope to join you for the June challenge. I will be back!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
Just Jo, Thanks for the welcome! Years ago when I was working out a lot, I read that some body builders would restrict their carb intake after noon or lunchtime. Their theory was that carbs eaten earlier in the day are burned off and carbs eaten at night stick with you. I've tried to follow this rule and have gotten some good losses. But how accurate this theory is, I'm not sure.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:55 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

My personal opinion is you're 100% right. I think that would have to apply to any WOE. It makes sense really that if you eat your biggest meals at breakfast and/or lunch you would have the entire day to burn it off. A lighter supper would be easier to process before bed. Many people have said that eating a large or late meal hurts their scale so I think you nailed that!!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:16 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LilacBruze
Stats: 272/231.2/175ish
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 7/19/2014
I agree! I try not to at after 6pm for this same reason, and make breakfast or lunch my heaviest meal!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:21 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Last10
Stats: 249/141/136
WOE: Primal, Intermittant M&E
Start Date: Mostly LC since 1999 when I joined LCF
The old adage:

Breakfast like a king
Lunch like a prince
Dinner like a pauper

Makes sense to me as that would have our digestive system working harder while awake and leave more energy for body healing/repair while asleep. I always sleep best when my evening food has been lighter. Heavy dinner and my body is in overdrive to digest.

Hi and welcome to everyone wandering in.

I'm slashing carbs by sticking to lettuce and meat today. Time to see a jump down on the scale. Determined to end May smaller than when it started.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michellewynos
Stats: 226/187/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb. 15, 2014
Good Morning All!!!!

Davyd was down another lb this morning, bringing him to 121, which surprises me, because he ate a cinnamon roll yesterday!!! That little sneak!! My roommate left them in the car, so Davyd could not find them, but Davyd did find them!! other then that, he is staying on plan!

Good news for me.....I did not gain this morning....down to 202.6 I was scared I was gonna gain only because I was at 202 before and went up to 204 where I was stuck for over a week!!

Vessel of Prayer- This is a wonderful place to be for support and knowledge of this WOE!

Cfine- So happy you came back to this lifestyle

Just Jo- I do not drink coffee , but my best friend, who is on her first week of Atkins 72, does. She is a huge coffee drinker and is having a hard time with the hwc in it. Can she use the sf international delight?

Well, good luck to everyone today!!! Stay strong and stay on track!! We will do this!!!!

Feb 15, 2014....226
July 30, 2014.....185
Goal......145

Made it to my half way point July 30...
Old 05-06-2014, 06:54 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lauri
Stats: pant size: 12/loose 10/6
Start Date: 04/10/14
Quote:
Lauri -- FYI: Strawberries and avacados are not Induction Level foods -- just to let you know.
I'm not on induction.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cudabear
Stats: 168/151/140 - 5'4
WOE: 4:3 - Low Carb/Low Cal
Start Date: Sept 2013
Good Morning Everyone,
I have been lurking here for better part of a month?! (Congrats on all the loses BTW!!) Debating if this is a route I wanted to run down.
I am really good at staying lowish carb (10-30NET) Monday-Thursday, but go a little nutty with my eating on the weekends. This has resulted in a VERY slow weight loss, especially last month with only a 2lb drop.
I feel a really good shift in frame of mind over the last couple weeks and I think this is something I can get on board with.. Honestly I am just looking for something that is more rigid to keep me focused while I am at home.

I fully understand the basics of the plan but just had a couple of quick questions/concerns, if an experienced A’72 member might have some time.
1)I’m concerned about eating too much protein, being as this diets consists of Meat, Eggs, Cheese (limited) & fats (not really going to eat a stick of butter).. It seems as tho 99% of your meals are from meat. How much protein are you actually eating as a part of your diet?
2) My only other concern is maintenance when I’ve finally got this weight off. I am 100% committed to LC for the remainder of my life, but I am wondering what kind of Carb intolerance I will have after this WOE is completed. For those who are on maintenance and have been for a while, were you able to move back to a 20-30 carb range post diet without gaining or are you trapped in the 0 carb vortex forever?

Thanks for the help – Much appreciated.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
Thanks for the kind words Bonny-Jean and MG! Day two is rocking along. I just want to get back to that place where I could literally roll in a pan of bread or sweets and not be tempted to eat them. I was there at one point in '12 but can't seem to get all the way back there. I am proud of the fact that I have managed to keep 50 pounds off in all of that time though.

You ladies are my heroes and inspiration to continue on and never give up the fight!! I am so happy that I have something to work for as I don't want to look like a beached whale come November for my cruise. I try to visualize being on that beautiful beach looking good.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Anything I could do to help and when you need some support or otherwise just send a post. We all want to help each other.

Listen to your "inner" Yoda!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

CudaBear, In the beginning, I really wouldn't worry about overdoing the protein. Listen to your body, eat when you're hungry and stop when you're not. You'll find that your hunger really disappears and you're not nearly as hungry as you used to be. If you stall at some point, then you can try different things such as lowering your protein and increasing your fat, or increasing your protein and decreasing your fat. But that would be later, not now. For now, you just focus on getting rid of the carbs and eating according to your actual hunger.

As far as maintenance, Dr. Atkins makes it very easy for us by outlining it all in the 72 book. You add 5 carbs every week or 2 and see how your body handles that. When you reach the point where you're now longer losing, and just maintaining, that's your carb level to stick with. He even breaks it down into which foods to add first, and which to add later on.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Just a quick note ~ down another pound today! Very excited. Only 4 pounds from my goal!
Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CdnPaleoGuy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2014
06 May

Afternoon Folks,
Seems I can't keep up with the postings!
Congrats MtherGoos on the size 3-4; prepare yourself for more flirting
DlaneyLynn: I'm not sure what version of Atkins I saw the psyllium recommendation in; have no idea if it adds carbs or not
So, am I shooting myself in the foot Fri/Sat nights with 1-2 glasses of either tequila or rye? I'm a big boy, give the skinny.......
Oh yes, to all the new folks & those coming out of lurker mode
LilacBruce: very diplomatic post & belated
Strange part about the oopsies; their on the menu in the 72 version. Does cottage cheese vs cream cheese really make that big a difference in the carb count?
If I'm brave enough, I'll step on the scale tonight.....
Closed Thread