Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #991
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
Carb Addict. Very true. I guess seeing my addiction on food commericals every 3 seconds doesn't help.

in fact, many times watching a fav show a DELISH commercial starts and I flip the channel very fast. I have too. sad but true.

but it works. I can always flip that remote channel fast LOL
This is by far the HARDEST addiction there is compared to heroine, smoking or alcohol -- because we HAVE to EAT -- there's no way around it. We just need to make wise choices about what we eat. I had to stop watching cooking shows... because it was like, "Really? You can't eat it, would you really make those things?" And it does trigger cravings...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #992
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF,EFGT
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 9/2014
Hope everyone is having a great Saturday!
B: egg white omelet, bacon & butter with a small amount of salsa
L: TBD...more bacon
D: large hamburger with butter.
S: Bullet proof coffee....

KUTGW for losses, maintainers & keeping on plan to see losses
Old 06-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #993
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Yes I am about done with the cooking shows also. rarely do I sneak even a peak anymore.

I love Diners Drive Ins and Dives on food network. I can't watch it anymore. it features all those kinds of foods I absolutely love. I melt when I watch it.

right now I have wings defrosting. I need more back up in the fridge
gonna make 12 hot wings today and just put them up.
I have to be sure I have something that satisfies me in an instant. just in case.

family is begging for stupid pancakes right now. yup. gonna make them. I hate pancakes anyway so it sure is not a draw for me in any way. hate syrup also thank goodness. this is no problem for me this time!

now if it was hash browns they were wanting, oh boy haha
Old 06-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #994
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Last10
Stats: 249/142/142
WOE: Primal, Intermittant M&E
Start Date: Mostly LC since 1999 when I joined LCF
My TiVo has saved me from 10 years of food commercials. I truly haven't seen a commercial since 2003 when I bought my first TiVo. Being able to fast forward is delightful. I start all real time programs 20 minutes after they start so that I will never catch up and have to suffer the ads.

I'm having a good week on the scale. I don't post my food here because I am not on induction and eat a bit more veggie carbs than most here eat. I dont make recipies, just plain meat, salads, a bit of goat cheese and a few eggs a week. Currently in size 8 with a goal of wearing all of my size 6 jeans (143 pounds) in July. Walking daily, Pilates reformer with weights 4x a week. Today is Saturday so I will walk 10-12 miles for fun.

Wishing you all a wonderful Saturday. I too love Atkins '72, just closer to the end of my weight loss journey so learning to live in maintenance.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #995
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ejw55
Stats: 167/144.6/115
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: May 2012
food on tv

I hear ya about the food commercials....and unfortunately my favorite tv channels are the food network and cooking channel....my statagy is when I see a tempting commercial...I think of the big juicy steak that I can have or lobster with melted butter....

I went to walmart and felt all fuzzy headed....when I got home I had a cup of beef broth...feeling better.
Putting a pizza in the oven for my son's lunch...not even tempting
Old 06-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #996
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PauletticusJ
Stats: 331/268/175
Start Date: 3/2/2014
Quote:
family is begging for stupid pancakes right now. yup. gonna make them. I hate pancakes anyway so it sure is not a draw for me in any way. hate syrup also thank goodness. this is no problem for me this time!
This is a good substitute for pancakes when you are on Atkins (if you are allowing cream cheese into your diet) . I use Walden Farms sugar-free blueberry and strawberry syrups to put on top:

Cream Cheese Pancakes

Yield: Four 6-inch pancakes
Ingredients
• 2 oz cream cheese
• 2 eggs
• 1 packet stevia (or any) sweetener
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Instructions
• Blend all ingredients until smooth. Pour 1/4 of the batter into a hot pan greased with butter or coconut oil. Cook for 2 minutes until golden, flip and cook 1 minute on the other side. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve with sugar free syrup.

344 calories, 29g fat, 2.5g carbs, 17g protein
Old 06-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #997
Senior LCF Member

Just a note on the above post - Dr. Atkins does not allow cream cheese on the strict "72 induction phase! I have allowed occasional cream cheese into my diet after 2 months of strict '72 induction without any detrimental effects. This is one of the things I decided to allow for variety in my diet. I needed to add this note because I do not want to confuse some of those on the initial induction into thinking they can have these every day. It is just an idea for those who really need to add a little variety. They are basically like oopsies, but fried in a pan.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #998
Senior LCF Member

?? pg 291

book holders, go to pg 291 and look at the "Malti-dextrin....it is tea mixes...
Now, I looked at my walmart brand tea mix and it says Maltodextrin.

I looked up the Malti and got no results...the the Malto says it is a carbohydrate....
oh, good lord, I just checked all my drink mixes and they ALL have it in there.

should I not drink this??

also pg 136 the sub category for drinks "as of the date of publication, Diet Rite cola, and Diet Pepsi contain not only caffeine but a significant about of carbohydrate, so fair warning..."

have they changed diet pepsi so it doesn't contain the carbs??

Last edited by ejw55; 06-07-2014 at 10:19 AM..
Old 06-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #999
Senior LCF Member

Never fear...went on the Pepsi website and it is not listed in the ingredients.

but it is still in my damn it! but it still says 0 carbs ...
Old 06-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #1000
Senior LCF Member

If a product "serving" has less than 1g of carbs, they legally do not have to list it on the Nutrition Facts label. So it may contain up to .9g of carb and they can legally list it as ZERO.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #1001
Senior LCF Member

Maltodextrin Basics

Maltodextrin is an easily digestible carbohydrate that's created when corn, rice or potato starches are cooked and then broken into smaller pieces with the addition of acids or enzymes. The starch is used as a food additive because it is inexpensive and contributes bulk without changing the flavor of the food. Products that contain maltodextrin include instant pudding, canned fruit and salad dressing.

Side Effects

The primary side effect of maltodextrin is that it can affect your blood sugar, according to registered dietician Martha McKittrick. In fact, maltodextrin has double the glycemic index of sucrose, or table sugar, which means it has the potential to cause dramatic shifts in blood sugar. Unfortunately, maltodextrin is included in the total carbohydrate content on nutrition labels, so it's not possible to tell how much of the starch is in foods.

Read more: Side Effects of Maltodextrin | eHow
Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #1002
Senior LCF Member

I did some further research, and most diet sodas have no carbs. I don't know where you got the high carb info from, but I would focus more on the artificial sweetener amounts in diet sodas, rather than the carbs.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #1003
Senior LCF Member

Maltodextrin is the major bulk agent used in most powdered forms of artificial sweeteners, including Splenda, which is why you should not used the little packs at all, they all have carbs. And as far as baking/cooking - never use the powdered Splenda. The carbs add up hugely. I use erythritol and stevia if adding a sweetener at all.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #1004
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
Start Date: 2/22/13
Yeah, I would assume that Pepsi has changed their formula from what it was in the 70s. I've read that in the book too, but I do drink Diet Pepsi every day without any problems, so I'm sure it's different than it was when the book was written.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #1005
Img
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Img
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnPaleoGuy View Post
Thanks for the new names; I knew of Steve Cotter (of course) but not the other two. Have you heard of the simple & sinister book by Pavel?
Oh yes, who doesn't know Pavel and his books!
My impression of him is a bit ambivalent. On one hand his books are overall good. On the other hand, he's a bit too bombastic for my liking. Besides, I can read and speak Russian, and kettlebells are very much part of the Russian culture, so i can compare Pavel's instruction to the approach of other KB experts from Russia, and imo Pavel doesn't get across enough details of technique.
If we compare Steve to Pavel, there is much more emphasis on technique with Steve, eg breaking down an element and working on parts, then putting parts together and working on the whole element. On a personal note, thanks to Steve I went back and rethought my deadlifts and squats and got from 7 pullups to 23, so have every reason to think highly of him.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #1006
Img
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
no loss for me but no gain either take that.

but I had a brush with death last night. I jumped on ice cream. oh yea. rarely in the house anymore. I let hubby and kiddo stop at the convenience stores and just buy 1 of whatever they want. IN HOUSE = DISASTER for me.

I wasn't even hungry or craving but a commercial came on tv. Dairy Queen. I ran to the fridge, got the BIG spoon, ate one....then ate 2....then paused, ate another spoonful and put it back. IT WAS ALL I COULD DO to put it back. I wanted to run and hide with it in the closet and eat the whole darn thing

WHY? a tv commercial trigger?
When ya didn't even want it?

honestly I don't know. but it won't kill me. live and learn.

but how can one go from OK to insanity in a split second? and just give in and not care? EH, bleck...just hard some moments.
This is a really important point.
Sooner or later, when we're either at the goal weight, or doing well, or going through a patience-trying plateau, or are generally stressed by life, we might run across a temptation, and a very unexpected one, just like Trigger did.

Let's share our coping mechanisms so each of us has an arsenal of weapons to combat temptation.

Here is mine. When faced with a food-related temptation:

1. Leave immediately, be it leaving the room or leaving the house to go for a walk, etc.
2. While walking away from the temptation, imagine it covered with cockroaches. If imagination isn't coming to rescue, watch Youtube videos of cockroaches or other things you wouldn't want as toppings on your food.

How do you guys de-tempt yourselves?
Old 06-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #1007
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauletticusJ View Post
Maltodextrin is the major bulk agent used in most powdered forms of artificial sweeteners, including Splenda, which is why you should not used the little packs at all, they all have carbs. And as far as baking/cooking - never use the powdered Splenda. The carbs add up hugely. I use erythritol and stevia if adding a sweetener at all.
so, do ya'll think I should stop with the mixes (crystal light and tea)

see what happens when I have too much information!! lol

Last edited by ejw55; 06-07-2014 at 12:33 PM..
Old 06-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #1008
Img
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
sounds like water is not good for me either! I know how ridiculous that sounds but if you look at the water history, doesn't it sound like that??
Not ridiculous at all. We shouldn't drink too much water, only when we are thirsty. Just like we shouldn't eat when not hungry.
The water controversy is pretty big these days, as people are told to drink water when they are not thirsty, told to drink water while exercising, while participating in endurance events, etc. And now look! The running guru Tim Noakes wrote Waterlogged where finally he realised that when the body needs water, it signals for it via thirst. GENIUS!
Old 06-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #1009
Img
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last10 View Post

Walking daily, Pilates reformer with weights 4x a week. Today is Saturday so I will walk 10-12 miles for fun.
You have a reformer???? Wow!!!!! The mega expensive one? Please tell more about it, pretty, fluffy please.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #1010
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw55 View Post

If the label lists maltodextrin, you may want to limit your use. The carb amount will be listed on the label, so go by that. Why not just brew your own tea? You can then make it exactly the way you like. Remember - Lemon juice does have carbs - so watch your amount! Best thing is always good, cold water.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #1011
Img
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauletticusJ View Post
I did some further research, and most diet sodas have no carbs. I don't know where you got the high carb info from, but I would focus more on the artificial sweetener amounts in diet sodas, rather than the carbs.
Atkins is being confusing about carbs in diet sodas in the '72 book. Modern diet sodas don't have carbs, and if they do, it's nowhere near what Atkins claimed in the original book.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #1012
Img
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw55 View Post

What if you negotiate with yourself a reasonable amount to use? For example, a small amount of something with a pleasant taste to look forward to at the end of a hard day won't destroy a disciplined diet, even if it has maltodextrin.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #1013
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Img View Post

1. Leave immediately, be it leaving the room or leaving the house to go for a walk, etc.
2. While walking away from the temptation, imagine it covered with cockroaches. If imagination isn't coming to rescue, watch Youtube videos of cockroaches or other things you wouldn't want as toppings on your food.

How do you guys de-tempt yourselves?
I think about the ugly fat hanging on my body and how I am embarrassed to wear a tank top or shorts in public. I think about the day that I can proudly wear a pair of shorts and a tank top again in the hot summer!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #1014
Senior LCF Member

as far as the mixes..I do water them down just to get the flavor...really can't do plain water...ick....the tea mix I can let my son have that and I will make sun tea...was doing that a month ago but just got lazy...as far as the lemon I was using 1/4 of the lemon for the whole 64 oz...should I cut that down too...

It seems to me that maybe diet pepsi could be my best bet....the mixes, my tea and the DP all have art sweeteners....but the pepsi has NO carbs....who would have thought that would be better

I have become a worry wart haven't I...just trying to keep myself in check.

Let me take a vote- What do you think would be best for the Atkins diet?
What would YOU drink?

A. Diet Soda
B. Watered down crystal light (any flavor)
C. Wine---only kidding
Old 06-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #1015
Senior LCF Member

Let's share our coping mechanisms so each of us has an arsenal of weapons to combat temptation.

How do you guys de-tempt yourselves?[/QUOTE]

I think about how I look naked... scary

funny you should post that because I have been battling the fridge today...my friend just arrived and I have the munchies...so I had some pork skins and then grabbed my tea and hit the computer
Old 06-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #1016
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
Start Date: 2/22/13
Regarding avoiding the food temptations ~ I'll be honest with you, the longer you're on plan, the less you'll have to deal with this. I'm not even tempted at all any more. I may look at something and think, "Oh that looks good", or smell something like donuts or fresh baked bread and think, "Oh that smells good", but I'm honestly not tempted at all to eat it. In the beginning, when I would get tempted, I would stop and think about how I would feel AFTER I ate it. I knew that eating it would leave me feeling angry, disgusted with myself, and disappointed in myself. I knew that I would definitely not see a loss on the scale the next day if I ate it. Nothing was worth it. The 2 minutes of enjoying whatever the treat was, was definitely not worth the way I would feel afterwards. Stop and think it through and decide if it's REALLY worth it. For me, nothing was worth it.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
Old 06-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #1017
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CdnPaleoGuy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2014
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Img View Post
On a personal note, thanks to Steve I went back and rethought my deadlifts and squats and got from 7 pullups to 23, so have every reason to think highly of him.
<--impressive! Wish I could brag about that

As for temptation, it's easy! As I mentioned either here in or in the May Challenge room; someone at work insists on bringing in baked goods. I'm the only one in the office that doesn't partake. One day, she asked me how I manage to resist when everyone else comes by several times a day.
I told her it was easy; I picture everything as poisoned. Plus, I told her I was onto her & her evil plan to fatten everyone up.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #1018
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bmac13
Stats: 231.3/179.2/150
WOE: Atkins '72 Induction
Start Date: May 12, 2014
Re: strategies for temptations

I have really noticed a change in my temptations for food in the past week. I don't think about food that I can't have anymore. Every day it gets easier for me. The only thing I really get tempted by and have cravings for at this point is alcohol. I love an ice cold beer on a hot day. And a lot of our friends like to socialize with alcohol so it is generally around in group settings.

While I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes. Not only could I not drink for 9 months plus, I had to seriously watch my carb intake as well. It was very hard for me at first, but eventually I started realizing that it was only short term and it was the beat thing for my baby.

Although low carb is now a way of life for me, I still try to keep it in perspective.... The strictness of my alcohol and essentially carb consumption is somewhat temporary and what's a year of my life giving up those things in order to have a happy healthy life for the rest of my life with my family. Because I know I'm not as much fun to be around when I'm miserable about my weight. And I want my son to have a happy mom, with energy and control over what goes into her body. He is only one right now and I know he will learn everything about food from me and my husband and I want him to be armed with the information I didn't have. Especially because he has my genes and is genetically predisposed to have type 2 diabetes in the future if he doesn't know how to control his sugar intake later in life.

Sooooooo, that is what I think of when I want to cheat or get tempted by a food or alcohol even.

AND!!!!! The last time I had sugar I felt like a bag of poop after eating it. I hated!!!! That feeling immensely.

Mini goals:

200lbs by August 12, 2014 Weigh in at weight loss challenge (Made it-July 18, 2014)
180lbs by October 4, 2014 Costa Rica Trip (Made it-Sept 12, 2014)
165lbs by November 25, 2014 My Birthday
150lbs by February 25, 2015
Old 06-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #1019
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I did great food wise.

AM---3 hot wings (big old chicken wings)

can of tuna with mayo

flank steak on the grill, 3 tablespoons beef gravy over top (3 carbs 1/4 cup. I had just a touch so maybe 1 carb?)

that is my day. about 1-2 carbs

tonight if wanted some pepperoni and cheddar.

temptations----they hit so fast and I know I should 'talk' to myself but I won't listen. that is bad when ya fool yourself (or at least try, I ain't fooling anyone especially myself)

absolutely time on plan is helping. I think for me the biggiest thing is I want to stay in deep ketosis that almost 0 carb provides. It gives me a barrier to help. I said it before, the ketosis when really into it is what is holding me here, at this point I am scared to let go of that. stay in ketosis at all costs.

but if I came in at 1-2 carbs today, I know I am doing something very right !!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #1020
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betterthanever
Stats: 265/192/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2014
whoosh fairy came again today--I weighed 3 lbs less this morning than yesterday! I am really psyched!
Closed Thread