Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 02:55 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mulberry
WOE: 8 Hour Diet / low carb
Start Date: January 2014
Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
I lived on sugar free jello with whipped cream at night. YUMMO also til I got sick of it. but I sure used it and lost also.
TRIGGER 828--I would like to hear more about your own lower/moderate carb plan and how much success you are having with it.
mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2014, 03:10 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberry View Post
TRIGGER 828--I would like to hear more about your own lower/moderate carb plan and how much success you are having with it.
I started with Atkins and did well for a while but it was a bit too restrictive on carbs, so I decided to do my own plan. I upped carbs into the 40-50 range on days when I wanted to eat more (maybe having a small scoop of mashed taters etc) but then I would back down to the 20-30 range again when I felt comfortable. Basically I am still very low carb but instead of sticking with net 20-30 all the time I decided to allow myself times when I can increase carbs alot more to make this way of eating for life definitely doable for me. For me it is all about ways to make this long term while losing without going bonkers. Hope that helps
Old 02-24-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Ketosis

Thanks Trigger! Yes, I most certainly agree that no matter what, we have to make this work as a longterm WOE --not just a diet to suffer through. My question is how high a carb number would put one out of ketosis? I have never used the test strips (because I hear they are unreliable) and so I really don't know if I've ever been in "ketosis". I also worry that raising my carb level will be dangerous because then I might not be burning fat but yet consuming a high amount of fat On the other hand, because I'm not always hungry and looking for my next snack or meal, I KNOW that I am not consuming anywhere near the amount of calories that I have been used to. That in itself should give me a weight loss (let's face it--no matter what method one uses, calorie restriction is the basis for WW and many other diets)! It's just so confusing I just read someone's post last night regarding the fact that he simply added up the carbs in the SPICES he used and it was a lot!! I don't know....maybe 20/day is just not doable for me. I just the way this WOE keeps me full and satisfied. If I could design a diet that utilized the fats/protein to keep me full and yet allowed a reasonable amount of carbs...AND produced weight loss too....
Old 02-24-2014, 04:59 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

You know, I just re-read your post Trigger and maybe the answer is to try to vary the number of carbs/day;;;;i.e., maybe every other day go strict-20 or below-and then on the next day permit yourself to consume in the 40 carb range. This way on those 40 carb days you could be a little more relaxed as far as maybe using a piece of the Low Carb Bread or have an Atkins Endulge Bar, or maybe just make a nice "low carb" recipe that sometimes you just can't do because even though it might only be 5 carbs per serving, there just isn't room in the 20 carb/day limit! Don't know if that would work. How are you finding your weight loss with the increased number of carbs and do you test to see if you are actually in ketosis?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

if you stay under 50 net carbs, I believe most people stay in ketosis. If you go over that 50 range you are flirting with going out of ketosis. Many do carb cycling (of course with higher ranges) but low carb people can do it also.

One thing to be careful, don't go overboard and add in alot of things thinking you can go back to the way we ate. we can't. A piece of your lc bread is great to add in if you want to go over just a bit and have something you want.

I just allow myself some days of having 'something I want' when in a pinch or I just desire it. It helped more when I started the plan because it was hard to stick to and I figured it if I allow myself a little more, than it would keep me from ditching the lc way all together. believe me it helps to know I can go up a bit if wanted. I don't feel totally 'deiting' ya know. For me I went a bit wonky adding up into the 70 carb range. While it worked at losing for a bit, I got carb cravings again and had to ditch that.

see I experiment with myself to find a way to work this thru life. So now my range is mostly 20-25 where I lose well, and if I go to about 40 or so on a day I desire it, I just don't lose. If I up more than the 40 I noticed I start to want more and more and more food which is not good. I rely on that hunger suppressiion to help and when I experiment higher than 40 I noticed it isn't the same.

I don't test for ketosis. Any carb range under 50 for most people you should be in ketosis.

Last edited by Trigger828; 02-24-2014 at 06:16 AM..
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nimuae
Stats: 296/190.0/165
WOE: Atkins -currently Atkins 72 Induction week 1
Start Date: Restart - 01/24/14
Mulberry, Have you looked at Atkins 1972 version? He explains it in such an easy to (no pun intended) manner, that you find yourself rededicating yourself to the original plan. I started on Atkins '72 on Jan 24, today is Feb 24. I am down 16 pounds in one month, and that is with occasional off plan days... Love his original plan

Tigger, I agree, the appetite suppression of true low carb woe is pretty wonderful, plus my energy level is WAY up.
Nimuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Atkins 72

Thanks...I didn't think the 72 plan was any different. I will look into it right away!!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Holy Carbs....0/day?

Just looked into the 1972 version of Atkins and....well....I don't think so
NO CARBS per day??? I can't even do this on 20 carbs per day
Old 02-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberry View Post
Just looked into the 1972 version of Atkins and....well....I don't think so
NO CARBS per day??? I can't even do this on 20 carbs per day
Of course everybody is different, you've got to do what is right for you

I will say this, it is actually easier than you'd think ~ LOL..... You just try it for the first week using his list and wow.... You are eating really well, so you do not miss those carbs, and by the 2nd week you've lost the cravings for them.

I thought I would have a hard time with it, but this time was the easiest I've ever had... I used later versions of his diet, but they are too easy to tweak with all of the bars, shakes, meal replacements, so I never lose more than a few pounds before I find myself giving up in frustration.. not this time

I was at a BBQ on Saturday and there were gorgeous platters of fruits, and bruscetta, lovely picking food.... I was not even tempted, I had made a bag of pepperoni chips to take with and my snacking was more than covered.

God gives the best to those who leave the choice to him.

March Goals:
Walking / 85 mi / 92

April Goals:
Walking / 95 mi
Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I had great success on Atkins 1972. I went to the Improved Atkins which allows to deduct fiber yielding "net carbs". I am very carb sensitive & the Improved did not work for me.
Even on (72) induction, I allow myself a couple of cups of salad daily... my choice rather than smaller quantities of permitted veggies.
If something triggers cravings... I had too many carbs & the item is usually apparent. I'd rather do without than deal with cravings... no one can sustain the will power necessary indefinitely. With Atkins I don't have to. I can't speak for other people or other plans.

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:35 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Mulberry, you do whatever it takes to stick to the lc way of life. That is what I did when I started. I did exceptionally well with atkins in the beginning, then I got that boredom of food feeling and instead of falling off the plan and saying who cares, I decided to just up the carbs for a bit and experiment. As long as I didn't think of it as 'all or nothing' I was ok. I allowed some experimenting on my part and set into a plan now that works for me personally. everyone has that sweet spot with carbs and can find that food plan that works for them for the long haul.

a person is far better having a 5 -10nc higher day every now and then instead of saying I quit for good
Old 02-25-2014, 04:21 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Never Give Up !!!

Oh yes, Trigger.....I agree wholeheartedly!! Giving up is never an answer! I have no intention of giving up LC'ing because it's the only "diet" that keeps me from being hungry. Here's my dilemma............
Artificially sweetened things DON'T make me crave sweets. They just make things more enjoyable! Especially when I am trying to make this a W.O.E. for the longhaul and not just a short-term diet to take off 60 pounds....and, at the rate I am losing, it's going to take a year to get these 60 pounds off
Even with all the extensive reading I have done, I STILL can't get a definitive answer about artificial sweeteners. I mean, how do people lose so much weight on Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystems (just to name a few) when these diets do not restrict artificial sweeteners.....and yet, when you come to Atkins, the consensus of opinions is that they cause poor weight loss and stalls.
I don't know
Old 02-25-2014, 04:21 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TowerOrchard
Stats: 222/182/155
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: January 7, 2014
Trigger828 is exactly right. You have to figure out what works for you. There are quite a few regular posters on this board who keep their carbs at induction levels - they have to if they want to lose/maintain. Just to give you another data point, I eat between 35-50 carbs per day (total, not net) and I am losing weight at a pretty good clip - 20 pounds in less than 2 months. Maybe someday I'll need to lower my carbs in order to keep losing. Or maybe I'll get to goal weight and figure out I can add a few more carbs and still maintain. It's going to take some experimenting and figuring out what works for me.

The main thing I appreciate about this community is that there is an understanding that weight loss and maintenance is not a "one size fits all" proposition. There is not some silver bullet plan that works for everyone. Once you get rid of the junky wheat & sugar carbs (which nobody needs, IMO), there is huge variation in what works.
TowerOrchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:18 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

well I think there are MANY people out there that struggle on Jenny, WW and all losing plans I mean, we are all trying and there is no magic bullet like TowerOrchard mentioned. boy do we wish there was.

I think artifical sweetners are not a problem if they do not make you crave. I ate tons of it when I started. I ate sugar free jello and drank sugar free soda. All was an effort to keep me on plan and not jump ship and I lost good weight. I now eat Russell Stover sf candy. Only 3 cause if I eat ONE more I have issues with that malitol stuff they put in it. but those 3 help me alot to keep a more settled feeling on plan. As time goes on I do actually eat less of the sweetners per day only because I lost the need for them as much. longer on plan you really do change your thoughts on what foods you want in your body.

Little things I did when I was on atkins was watch the cheese, I got a food scale and ate only 2 ounces per day, never more. I also did drink TONS of water with lemon which I happen to love. I would eat very very BAB in the morning. That helped me truly keep out of the kitchen. come dinner I would eat a smaller amt and keep very good foods on the list. nothing processed like salami, bologna, or that type of product.

and SO WHAT if it takes ya a year to lose 60 it sure can't be classified as a failure it is a WIN! and if you lose slower, eating the foods you like to keep you on this lc path, then you are also setting yourself up for the long haul. how to survive maintenance. don't compare your journey to others mostly. it is all about you, how you lose, what you want to eat, how you want to eat forever long term. we read about others and get ideas, but not all of those fit us. you are you and ya gotta do it your way
Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rakh
The post about alternating carb limits is interesting.

I am personally fascinated with the fast 2 days eat what you want 5 days diet, but I have to take a lot of vitamins and medications due to a chronic illness, so I'm not sure how I could stay under 500 calories (their fast amount) for an entire day and not rip apart my stomach.
rakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:34 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Experimenting with Low Carb ideas

Well, personally, I could not and would not EVER attempt fasting. But I do wonder if there is a possibility that I would lose if I had 20 carbs one day but 40 the next day. STILL very low carb amounts compared to what I would normally eat but it would allow for a little flexibility on that 40 carb day. See I still don't understand whether it is imperative to stay within that 20 carbs a day in order to expect a weight loss. I mean it is the backbone of the Atkins Diet and I do understand the principle behind it (body burning fat, etc.) but if it is true that one can still be in ketosis consuming up to 50 carbs a day, then it should work to vary the daily carb amounts from 20 - 40. without losing much ground. And I don't mean eating anything with sugar....or pasta....or bread....I just mean that on that 40 carbs a day it might be nice to add a few berries or make a recipe that might contain a few more carbs than you could normally fit into a day. I don't know. Just experimenting I guess
Old 03-01-2014, 06:23 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post

and SO WHAT if it takes ya a year to lose 60 it sure can't be classified as a failure it is a WIN! and if you lose slower, eating the foods you like to keep you on this lc path, then you are also setting yourself up for the long haul. how to survive maintenance. don't compare your journey to others mostly. it is all about you, how you lose, what you want to eat, how you want to eat forever long term. we read about others and get ideas, but not all of those fit us. you are you and ya gotta do it your way

Many years ago I joined Nutri-System.
The worry that I was doing permanent damage to my body gave me serious concern.
At the beginning, it essentially put me in Ketosis (before Ketosis was a mainstream word).
I thought I was going to DIE...
Fast forward a lot of years, much study/searching for science reasons...bio-hacking myself...I know that my metabolism is fractured.
Monitoring my blood sugar has given me a good understanding that I need to remain low carb or I will end up like my Grandma + Mom...type2 diabetic.
Each of us has to read/study/decide what food plan gives our bodies the best performance grade FUEL.

NEVER GIVE UP!

Last edited by Galveston Gal; 03-01-2014 at 06:24 AM..
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Sure do agree with all that!

Oh yes, I really agree with Trigger! I guess I'm just trying to find someone who has increased her carbs either every day or maybe every other day to somewhere around 40...nothing unreasonable...pretty much following the Atkins principle of eating full fat foods....AND STILL IS LOSING WEIGHT
I mean it's fine for me to invent a tailored diet to my liking...one that I can LIVE with day in and day out for months....but if I can't lose on it, what's the point. I know I will find my way....I just need to keep reading and investigating. This board is so wonderful....full of very nice, helpful ladies....and I really feel that Low Carb is the only way for ME because it controls my appetite and that is the main problem I have with so many other diets. I am always hungry!! I mean, I tried WW and I was out of points by noon
Old 03-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #19
ohr
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohr
Miracle Noodles???

I would like to go on Atkins 72 with no deviations. Since Miracle Noodles were not around at that time, do you think they would have been acceptable on induction? If not I'll just wait a few weeks. Thanks
ohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

For myself, I do not deviate from his original induction..... if for no other reason than I want to break the habits and cravings for pasta's and sweets. Having said that, I think that if the noodles truly are 0 carb, and make it easier for you to stick to the plan, then by all means, get your noodle on, LOL. If you see your weight lose stall, then take them out and see if that makes a difference. Each person learns which tools work best for them ~
Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #21
ohr
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohr
Thanks so much for your input!!!
ohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:44 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Russ View Post
I had great success on Atkins 1972. I went to the Improved Atkins which allows to deduct fiber yielding "net carbs". I am very carb sensitive & the Improved did not work for me.
Even on (72) induction, I allow myself a couple of cups of salad daily... my choice rather than smaller quantities of permitted veggies.
If something triggers cravings... I had too many carbs & the item is usually apparent. I'd rather do without than deal with cravings... no one can sustain the will power necessary indefinitely. With Atkins I don't have to. I can't speak for other people or other plans.
I have the same experience as Just Russ. I don't do a lot of carbs either (only 6 per day) I've always had great weight loss success with A'72. It's upping the carbs that get me into trouble every single time in the past (Im an old pro at gaining/losing) but NOT THIS TIME!! I am going to add them slowly, very slowly but it won't be processed foods, wheat, cheese, nuts, or dairy... those stall me or get my cravings for carbs going.

Last edited by Just Jo; 03-08-2014 at 03:48 AM..
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote