Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whyohwh
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: March 2013
Too early to tweak?

Well, it's been 7 days and I haven't lost a pound. I've been low carbing for 8 months, got confused with numbers, found Atkins 72.

I'm trying to keep the calories at 1400-1550 and the carbs at 10 or below, and letting the fat/protein ratios fall where they may.

Is is too early to tweak? Try eating more calories, or less calories; or more or less fat/protein? I'm an impatient tweaker at heart.

Sample menu

Breakfast
Pork - Cured, bacon, cooked, pan-fried, 2 slice cooked
Eggs - Whole, raw, 3 large
Deruyk's Organic - Flax Seeds, 0.48 tbsp
Animal fat - Bacon grease, 1 tsp
Seeds - Chia, 0.2 tbsp (30g)

Lunch
Aurora - Antipasto Calabrese Hot Mixed Vegetables, 1.4 tbsps (30 mL)
La Soyarie - Organic Tofu - Firm, 0.18 container (456 gs ea.)
Renee's Gourmet - Greek Feta Dressing, 1.2 tbsp/15 ml
Renees Ceaser - Light - Salad Dressing, 1.1 tbsp
Canada A - Large Egg, 2 large egg, 53g
Pc Blue Menu - Cajun Chicken Breasts, 68 g (1 chicken breast)

Supper
Lettuce - Cos or romaine, raw, 1.5 cup shredded
Pc Blue Menu - Cajun Chicken Breasts, 204 g (1 chicken breast)
Renee's Gourmet - Greek Feta Dressing, 2 tbsp/15 ml
Renees Ceaser - Light - Salad Dressing, 1 tbsp 45
Beatrice - Whipping Cream 35%, 1 tbsp
Spinach - Raw, 0.5 cup
Black Diamond - Chesse String Ficello, 21 g
Kiri (Canada - Cream Cheese Spread,
Whyohwh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Which time?
Okay, I'm winging it here since I am NOT an Atkins '72 expert by any means. I just learned that no veggies were allowed in the first week other than lettuce or cucumbers (I think there was maybe another, don't have my book with me).

I'd guess these would be no-no's:

Mixed vegetables
Tofu
Greek Dressing
Caesar Dressing
Cream cheese spread

Just my guess, though, and I know the others will come along and give their thoughts. I'm an impatient tweaker at heart myself.

I'm beginning again today, beginning with ditching the veggies I'd been eating, more cream than I should have a day, sour cream and Greek yogurt.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
Atkins 72 week 1:
Eat NOTHING that is not on the list.

The First Life-Changing Week, eat nothing that is not on the list.
Meat: Steaks, Corned beef, Lamb chops, tongue, Hamburgers, Bacon, Any kind of meat in any quantity—except meat with fillers such as sausage, hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged “cold cuts”
Fowl: Duckling, Turkey, Chicken, Anything with wings, No stuffing
Desserts: Gelatin with artificial sweeteners (e.g., D-Zerta [is that still around?])
Condiments: Salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, vanilla, and other extracts; artificial sweeteners; any dry powdered spice that contains no sugar
Drinks: Water, Mineral water, Vichy, Club soda; Beef or Chicken broth, bouillon; Sugar free diet soda; coffee*, tea, decaffeinated coffee
---------*Special note on caffeine and Diet Cola. Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee, tea and diet colas, which contain caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three.
Fish: All fish, including canned salmon, tuna; any kind of seafood, including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, clams, muscles, scallops, and pickled fish
Eggs: Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, omelet – any style and without limitations
Salads: Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus… green olives.
Butter & Mayonnaise Fats: Butter, margarine (head New Diet Revolution & eat no margarine with trans fatty acids), oils, shortening (not such a great idea), lard & mayonnaise (fats have no carbohydrates).
Juice: Juice of one lemon or lime
Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.
Heavy Cream: Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk – so don’t use milk)
Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage, Chives, Cucumber, Endive, Escarole, Fennel, lettuce, Olives (Green or Black), Onions, Pickles (Sour or Dill), Parsley, Peppers, Radishes, Scallions, watercress.

Your first week should be simply protein like meat and eggs in the form of whole foods no franks or meat with fillers. And 2 small (less than 1 cup) of lettuce, celery or cucumbers or radishes. You may have a pickle in the place of your salad and some green olives.

After that first week you may add back whatever you would like in 5-8 gram increments. For example my first week I added in a flax muffin. The next week I added in 1/2 cup of green beans. This is where I have stopped. I am losing nicely, and I like my food choices. I have changed the 1/2 cup veggie each week to see how my body reacts.

Try re-reading the book or the sticky with the rules in it and eat a week that way to see what happens.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me Phil 4:13

Mini Goal: 250 met in May
Mini Goal: 200
Mini goal #2: For my current wardrobe to be too big (26-28) May hit size 22-24!
Next Goal: size 16-18 by BDAY in March
Walk 3 days a week
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Yep...looks like way too many carbs for induction.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Way too many carbs for induction? I've been hovering around 7-10 grams a day... Unless I missed something. In which case, I need advice, please!
Old 11-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyohwh View Post
Way too many carbs for induction? I've been hovering around 7-10 grams a day... Unless I missed something. In which case, I need advice, please!
All we are saying is that according to ATKINS 72 version you are eating things not allowed the first week.
For example: the hot mixed vegetables,
You should only be having 1C of loosely packed lettuce OR a pickle OR cucumbers, celery, and radishes and green olives. These are the only veggies allowed that first week. This first week is the only week that he tells you EXACTLY what to eat.

NO cream cheese allowed this week, if it is not on that list you are not supposed to eat it.

THEN you may add 5-8 grams of carbohydrates from the list of approved veggies etc. You may decide that you want to add 5grams of macadamia nuts, or some broccoli, or even a flax muffin. You decide what to add after the first week, but no more than 5-8 grams additional.

I am not trying to impose some arbitrary restrictions on you, but I just wanted to clarify the 72 guidelines for you. Do you have the book? It is much different from the later versions.
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

AAAAAh! Now I get it. Wow. Took a while. Many thanks. So, adios to the hot vegetables and the cream cheese for now. I really didn't think that these items would make a difference - the vegetables are pickled and low carb, so I figured I could eat those.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Personally, I'd get rid of all the seeds and the veggies, except for maybe some lettuce, and use full fat dressing instead of light. Stick to the induction list and keep it simple. Then, once you start losing and you're ready to maybe slow your losses down a little, add back in the veggies and other things one or two at a time to see what you can eat and still lose.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

The low fat version of this brand has zero carbs - but the full fat extra garlic version has 1 gram of carbs!