Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whyohwh
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: March 2013
Why did Atkins change from 72 to New Revolution?

It's the amount of carbs that I'm wondering about. Why did he go from as close to zero, to 20? I find it's a huge difference.
Whyohwh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Atkins '72 is often mistakenly thought to be lower carb, but that is not strictly true. if you eat the optional stuff on Atkins '72 it can have way more than 20 grams of carbs. it was too variable. that list of optional stuff was way too loose, and this was before it was clear that we don't digest fiber so it wasn't helpful to count it.

Atkins continued to treat patients for many decades, and he kept refining his understanding and approach. '72 is version 1.0. It was a wonderful breakthrough, but not perfect.

having said that, there are a lot of people who do well on that version and like it. no reason not to if they choose to. but for most of us, eating more vegetables does not hinder weight loss and seems healthier.

as with so many things, you have to evaluate what is best for you.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyohwh View Post
It's the amount of carbs that I'm wondering about. Why did he go from as close to zero, to 20? I find it's a huge difference.
The first 2 weeks (induction) are quite low, but it puts you in ketosis much faster. After the 2 weeks you start adding the carbs back in gradually until you hit your CCL. Even during induction, you're not at zero carbs. I don't eat vegies at all and I'm still hitting about 10gm per day just because of what's in my eggs, cream, cheese, etc.

I have lots of theories as to why his plan changed over time but I disagree it's because he 'learned' more. I'd bet (and just my opinion, of course) it's because his '72 plan is more open ended and many people need/prefer more structure which later versions give.

Obviously I think '72 is a better plan *but* the best plan is the one you can follow. So others might find later versions are a better plan.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote