Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: onthepath
Stats: 234/213/180
WOE: low carb
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles1010 View Post
Oh my goodness,bacon grease is the bomb,I use it for so many things. It's great to use in place of butter in lots of vegetables and to saute them and of course EGGS. I cook a bunch of Bacon at once and keep a jar in the fridge just for bacon grease.
Me too. So good.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #242
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Justiceajba
Stats: 180/167/130
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: January 2014
Hello everyone! The bad breath is really making me self conscious! I know its good because it means I am ketosis, but oh, man. I'm carrying a toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash everywhere I go, but the stank breath seems to come back in like 5 minutes! Does anyone know a trick to get it under control?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:15 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
It will fade over time. If you can handle it, carry freshly dried mint leaves or oregano leaves and eat one every couple hours. You just chew on it and then you can spit it out. That is what I have found worked the best. I don't particularly care for the mint but loved the oregano. It was like getting to eat a bite of pizza.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KWAY2B185
Stats: 254.4/248.8/185
Start Date: January 26, 2014/January 29, 2014(Atkins 72)
I was wondering about that as well, I will have to try the oregano. Thanks.

Last edited by KWAY2B185; 02-04-2014 at 07:37 AM..
Old 02-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nimuae
Stats: 296/190.0/165
WOE: Atkins -currently Atkins 72 Induction week 1
Start Date: Restart - 01/24/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWAY2B185 View Post
Brushing my teeth doesn't help and it almost feels as if I am dehydrated but I have already had 64 oz of water, and am having another 16 as I type. What is going on?

That is Ketosis my friend!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWAY2B185 View Post
Good morning all, (sorry this is long...I am super excited)

I think I have found it! My name is Katrina...I started Atkins on Sun. Jan 28. I had read the latest Atkins book "The New Atkins for a New You" and had been preparing myself to begin for about a month now. Let's see, I have struggled with my weight since I joined the Army in '97. I remember having to lose water weight just to make tape and I was 160 lbs and 5' 8". That struggle went on for the entire time I was in (8 years); of course it helped that I was running at least 10-15 miles a week and doing high intensity training. I was able to keep my weight under 185. Once I got out...the weight piled on because I did workout as often because let's face it, I got paid to work out. That's odd that I didn't keep doing it because I actually LOVE running and lifting weights.

Through the years I have learned that I am an emotional eater, carbs are NOT friend, stress causes me to gain weight. Now that I know that, I believe that Atkins is the thing for me. Since Sunday, I have been feeling so much better in terms of being bloated and feeling heavy.

On Sunday I started out at 254.4 lbs. and measured Arms-14 1/2, Bust line-44 1/2, Part around breast-47 1/2, Waist-53 1/2, Hips-52, & Thighs-29 1/2. This was my first time ever measuring and I have to admit that those numbers terrify me but also motivate me at the same. I wanted to have something else to challenge me other than the numbers on the scale because that thing will go UP and DOWN and can get discouraging. I vowed to not weigh myself until after two weeks, but I gave IN last night. I had my sister look on my calendar to see my start weight and to weigh me but only tell me if it was a gain or loss. When she said gain, I freaked out. It said 257 lbs. Yes I got super upset because I had been eating exactly what was on the plan and staying under 20 carbs. I thought maybe it was because I had a bowel movement, then I remembered reading about the flax muffins...I made one with just eggs, flax, and cinnamon...added some cream cheese-It was good but...I still wasn't quite at peace yet. So about 4 a.m. I woke up and check out the threads here and ended up in the Atkins 72 thread. I knew it was God send. After reading here, I decided that today I would do it the original way and forget about all the other complications that the newer Atkins books have added like, counting calories too? Thats too much, I like my eggs cooked with a little bacon grease, and I love chicken/tuna salad with Dukes mayo because it's the only one that doesn't have any sugar. So, I went to the bathroom this morning twice and I got on the scale again and it said 254.2...yes a loss of .2 lbs. However, I am noticing something very different though, the red pants I am wearing are now fitting way looser than they did last week, my shirt is looser, my belly is getting flatter and my side (love) handles are decreasing. It is safe to say that I believe that this way of life is working so far, even after 3-4 days.

I haven't had the desire to cheat like I have been reading on several threads. That may be partially due to the fact that I KNOW what carbs do to my body. In July, I had gained the 30 lbs that I had lost while on WW back and my doctor instructed me not to eat anything white or starchy, no high fructose corn syrup, no breads or corn tortillas or taco shells for 3 months...just meat, whole grains, fruit and vegetables and not to eat after 7 p.m.. Well...on the positive side of things I didn't gain, however, I didn't lose either and I still craved Breads, sweet things, carbs. After that experiment, I learned a LOT about my body and I still could not loose that midnight snacking..you know that feeling of NEEDING to have something to eat. I was bad, I would eat a couple of times in the middle of night: a sandwich, grapes, an orange, bowl of cereal. Crazy right? It was those carbs!

Nonetheless, I am glad to have experienced that because I believe it is helping with my will power to succeed this time.

So, as of this morning, I have decided to change my WOE to Atkins '72. I will be returning the new version of Atkins and it's cookbook back to the library today! Of course I didn't buy it, and glad I didn't, but I will be combing for the Atkins '72 book online to purchase it.

Thanks to you guys and your stories, I believe that I have the right place for support on this life changing journey. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Oh and MthGoos: I hope you don't mind if I change your tag line up a bit just for today only... "A year from now, I will be glad I started today"

_______________________________ (my self created signature until the admins let me)

Katarina, that is wonderful! You're doing great ~
Old 02-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Katarina, that's awesome. Keep us posted. It is very encouraging to read about other peoples successes and even struggles. We all learn from each other.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnPaleoGuy View Post
Now that we have DADR, DANDR & NANNY we realized that it's only NANNY preaching the net carbs so we missed reading about total carbs in DANDR.
So are oopsies allowed & are they really as easy to make as some of the recipes suggest? I don't have any parchment paper atm....
What is NANNY??
Old 02-05-2014, 05:40 AM   #249
Senior LCF Member

onthepath, NANY is New Atkins for a New You and is the current Atkins version used on their website.

Hey junebug - next thing you can try is start cooking things with bacon - like bacon wrapped meatballs, etc. So Yummy!! Everything tastes better with bacon.

Last edited by mjgh06; 02-05-2014 at 05:41 AM..
Old 02-05-2014, 06:21 AM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
onthepath, NANY is New Atkins for a New You and is the current Atkins version used on their website.

Hey junebug - next thing you can try is start cooking things with bacon - like bacon wrapped meatballs, etc. So Yummy!! Everything tastes better with bacon.
For your meatballs, do you just wrap raw bacon around raw meatballs and bake? Sounds yummy. I agree, everything tastes better with bacon. Bacon and butter.

Gloria
Old 02-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #251
Senior LCF Member

I take a lb of ground beef and add 1 egg and whatever seasonings I feel like when making them, add about 2-3oz of shredded cheese. Then make 12 meatballs out of that. Take 6 slices of raw bacon and half them, wrap one around each meatball. Bake on on non-stick foil lined baking sheet at 375 for about 20-25 mins until nice and crisp.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Thanks MissyDee. Sounds wonderful. Will be trying this very soon.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KWAY2B185
Stats: 254.4/248.8/185
Start Date: January 26, 2014/January 29, 2014(Atkins 72)
Numuae, thank you. I have never felt better.

Pickles1010, I LOVE my eggs in bacon grease. I found that it helps to keep things moving too (if you know what I mean).

Have a great day all...
Old 02-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #254
Junior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! I will try the oregano and/or mint leaves for the dragon breath. And the bacon wrapped meatballs sound awesome and easy! Thanks for posting the recipe. I will get some ground beef next time I hit the store. Another question...what brand of dill pickles do you guys use? I often have one instead of a salad on '72 but i'm having trouble finding a sugar-free brand.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Claussen Kosher dill pickles. I think any kind of Kosher dill pickle is sugar free

Last edited by Nimuae; 02-05-2014 at 03:39 PM..
Old 02-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #256
Junior LCF Member

Making the bacon wrapped meatballs for dinner tonight. The hubs is excited about them...total guy food!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
I take a lb of ground beef and add 1 egg and whatever seasonings I feel like when making them, add about 2-3oz of shredded cheese. Then make 12 meatballs out of that. Take 6 slices of raw bacon and half them, wrap one around each meatball. Bake on on non-stick foil lined baking sheet at 375 for about 20-25 mins until nice and crisp.
I made them twice in the past few days. Love them. I did have a hard time getting the bacon to get crispy. Had to broil for a couple minutes. But DH liked well enough to have me make it again. Great recipe. Thanks again
Old 02-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CdnPaleoGuy
WOE: Low Carb
Those bacon wrapped meatballs look interesting, perhaps when I have some hamburger left over & don't know what to make...
Speaking of oopsies (I still haven't tried making them yet), has anyone subbed mayonnaise for the cream cheese?
I found a youtube vid of making oopsies rolls where the woman almost gagged trying to eat them afterward; hopefully she was just a bread snob?
Old 02-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #259
Senior LCF Member

I haven't tried oopsie rolls with mayo. I'm pretty bummed. I think they are an adequate sub for bread/buns, but my DH wouldn't eat them. I put some meat and cheese on them and broiled till the cheese melted. Was sooo yummy. But he couldn't eat them. My daughter, who is a very picky eater and does not do LC, ate them for him. Said she couldn't tell the difference from the ones I used to make on buns, so ya just never know. Some like it and some don't. I will keep making them for myself though. I like them. And they are very filling.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michellewynos
Stats: 226/168/145
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Feb. 15, 2014
Hi all. My name is Michelle and I totally enjoyed reading all of these posts!!! I have been on atkins 72 for 9 days so far and have lost 11 lbs. Did atkins 72 about 10 years ago and lost a total of 60 lbs in 3 months....got to where i wanted to be and quit (like a dork!!) Then tried atkins (not sure which one) about 2 years ago and lost a total of 7lbs in a month. I was so frustrated and mad that I just gave up on it. So, about 2 weeks ago, i decided to try, as I call it, the old school atkins, again. So happy I tried it again!!! Have already went down a pants size (18 to a 16) and am thrilled with my results thus far!!! At starting point, i weighed 226, now at 215!!! Hoping like a crazy person that I can get to 199 by the end of Feb., but will be ok if I don't. I know that is really reaching, but, hey, think positive and positive things happen!!!! My ultimate goal is to get to 150 and stay there!!! I will be staying in the induction phase until i reach my target weight and then slowly adding in more carbs. I was reading about the bad breath, which shows you are in ketosis, but, i do not have that.....???? I am still losing weight and inches. I do not use the strips, either. Anyways, just wanted to say hi to everyone and to learn from you and share my story!!
Old 02-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
Start Date: 2/22/13
Welcome Michelle! Glad to have you join us! I wouldn't worry about the breath, or the strips. Obviously what you are doing is working, so just keep at it. You're off to an amazing start!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #262
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terilynn77
Stats: 307/228/150
WOE: Atkins 72 ~ NK
Start Date: 2/10/14
Hello! I'm new to this forum and thought I would introduce myself - and of course ask a few questions!

I started the new Atkins (the most current book The New Atkins for a New You) and was really, really struggling with how complicated it seemed. Trying to figure out the net carbs, and then then figuring out how the sugar alcohol in the Atkins products were supposed to be also subtracted, and really just not getting anywhere. My cravings really never went away. I think it's because I was allowing myself to eat the Atkins bars and those darn candies....So I went searching online and found this site - and the Atkins 72. Been following this way since Monday (2/10) and wow. What a difference!! I'm loving it, soooo much easier. And maybe it's all in my head but I'm not feeling quite as hungry. So fingers crossed!

Any way - my question is vitamins. I'm still not taking one, and know that I need to be. What type is everyone on? I looked at the different kinds on netrition, but still kind of lost. I've not really taken vitamins before, so I really have no idea what to look for! Afer I finished my workout today I got a charlie horse/cramp and thought to my self...uh oh...I better start!

Thanks in advance for the replies!!

Teri
Old 02-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #263
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome Teri! So glad to have you join us! For me, I just take vitamin C and garlic every day to boost my immune system, and magnesium and potassium. If you're having leg cramps, the magnesium and potassium may definitely help with that. Personally, I just buy mine at WalMart. I can't remember the brand, they might be Nature's Way.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Teri, I just copied this from page one here from the book -
"...on pg. 126 he wants you to take in double the daily minimum multivitamin requirement with at least 800 units Vit E, 1000mg Vit C, double the recommended Vit B complex. He says not to go over recommended dosge for vit D and Vit A. He also says to take in additional calcium if you experience leg cramps and extra potassium for fatigue, and salt for weakness from rapid weight loss."

Although I admit I do not take anything but magnesium for going to the bathroom and the calcium when I start to get leg cramps. Potassium for me causes more leg cramps especially when I used to eat bananas as they are loaded with it. As for herbs I do use a lot of garlic and Cayenne as they both have wonderful health benefits.

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."Henry Ford

My Weight Journal ~MissyDee~

Old 02-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #265
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I find drinking a glass of sugar-free tonic water every few days takes care of leg cramps for me.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: junebug
Stats: CW 155 / GW 110
WOE: Atkins72/Stillmans
Start Date: June 2011
Hi everyone - just popping in to say hi! I havent left, I am doing Stillmans for 30 days (I am on day 7) but then I will be back here to maintain my loss with 72 again. Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #267
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terilynn77
Stats: 307/228/150
WOE: Atkins 72 ~ NK
Start Date: 2/10/14
Thanks for the replies! I made a note of all the suggestions and will try and find something at the grocery store this weekend. I'm so excited that I found Atkins 72!

Have a Happy Valentines Day everyone!

Teri
Old 02-15-2014, 05:10 AM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
New Atkins for a New You

I've been doing Atkins' 72 for decades, really works if you stick with it like one is supposed to (okay so I yo-yo ). Anyone else think the NANY has poor Robert Atkins rolling over in his grave? I was checking out some of their products just out of curiosity and I couldn't believe the ingredient lists or the number of carbs. I guess now Atkins is about making $$$ and less about helping people lose weight.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:45 AM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Lost 2 pounds in the last 2 days. Yippee!! I am so glad, cause I was getting frustrated with no losses for a week. I have cut my portions. Actually, not filling my plate as full. I can always get more if I am still hungry, but I seem to belong to the "clean your plate club" and I eat whatever is on there even if I get full before. I have a hard time stopping when I'm full otherwise.
I noticed on one thread, maybe this one, that some people weren't eating hardly anything IMO. I thought, I could never get by on that little food. But when I just took smaller portions, I was surprised at how full I stayed all day. Not full actually, or stuffed like I used to think was full, but for sure not hungry. I am amazed at how little I can eat and not be hungry all day.
For breakfast I cut down from 2 eggs and 2 bacon to one egg and one bacon and was very comfortably satisfied.
For lunch, I had on chicken thigh instead of 2, with an oopsie roll and was on the border of stuffed.
For dinner, I had a 3 oz cheeseburger and wonderful lettuce salad with ranch dressing and couldn't have eaten another bite.
Some sf jello with celery for an evening snack.
Was all good. And finally, the weight is again coming off.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #270
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
I've been doing Atkins' 72 for decades, really works if you stick with it like one is supposed to (okay so I yo-yo ). Anyone else think the NANY has poor Robert Atkins rolling over in his grave? I was checking out some of their products just out of curiosity and I couldn't believe the ingredient lists or the number of carbs. I guess now Atkins is about making $$$ and less about helping people lose weight.
Don't even get me started! When I go into WalMart and see all of the "Atkins" products, or see the Sharon Osbourne commercials talking about all the weight she lost on "Atkins" with all of the candy and crap, I just about explode. Seriously. I just want to scream at the TV "EAT REAL FOOD!". I can't believe what they've done just to make money. IMO, not at all what Dr. Atkins would have wanted.
Closed Thread