Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CdnPaleoGuy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4s2many View Post
Hi everyone. My name is Kristin..
back Kristin. Lots of friendly ladies here to help keep you on the straight & narrow

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Welcome Kristin!! Glad you are here and back on track. This forum doesn't let us post site links, sorry.

Last edited by mjgh06; 01-23-2014 at 08:58 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #213
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 4s2many
Stats: 255.5/ 240.2 /160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 08/31/14
Thank you all! I feel like I am back at home once again. So how is everyone doing? Sticking to plan? I had three days off from work. Tonight I go back. I stick to plan while working, but it is harder. I work as a cashier at super walmart and sometimes the smells of food are overwhelming. Luckily ketosis is very strong right now and food just makes me nauseous. I
have to plan ahead and carry a snack like cheddar cheese stick for my break.

I know you can't post links, I just wondered a name of a site. I can do a search to find one. Thanks though.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/140.5/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4s2many View Post
Thank you all! I feel like I am back at home once again. So how is everyone doing? Sticking to plan? I had three days off from work. Tonight I go back. I stick to plan while working, but it is harder. I work as a cashier at super walmart and sometimes the smells of food are overwhelming. Luckily ketosis is very strong right now and food just makes me nauseous. I
have to plan ahead and carry a snack like cheddar cheese stick for my break.

I know you can't post links, I just wondered a name of a site. I can do a search to find one. Thanks though.
Try gooling "calorie and exercise tracker". The one I use, I can build and save recipes and it has a decent on going weight graph. It starts with f and ends with y. Hopefully that's okay to say.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #215
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Try gooling "calorie and exercise tracker". The one I use, I can build and save recipes and it has a decent on going weight graph. It starts with f and ends with y. Hopefully that's okay to say.
Thank you. That was the site I used before. It changed a bit, but it is still good. Thanks again
Old 01-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #216
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Justiceajba
Stats: 180/167/130
WOE: Atkins '72
Hi Kristin! Welcome! I'm pretty new to the site but I'm really trying to use it and check in daily to stay on track. It affirms this way of eating for me when I read posts and hear success stories. The weight will come off in time if we can stay the course.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:07 PM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: junebug
Stats: CW 155 / GW 110
WOE: Atkins72/Stillmans
Start Date: June 2011
Okay! I am back from my week long vacation! I mostly stuck to sashimi, steak, omlettes, and cheese (with my wine...lol). I did splurge on some mashed potatoes one night (it was WORTH it!) and a super yummy tomato sandwich another day. But I am home now, relaxed, recharged, and I have a carton of eggs in the fridge calling me back to my 72 WOL...I am excited to get back to the simplicity of it all.

Catching up on the posts I missed while I was gone - hope everyone is doing well!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
Start Date: 2/22/13
Welcome back Junebug! Glad you had a such a great vacation and you're ready to get right back on track!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:57 PM   #219
Junior LCF Member

Feeling nauseous. I mean really nauseous. I don't remember feeling this way before. I know I am in ketosis. That metal, bad taste in my mouth. My tummy is just unhappy.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Glad you're back Junebug! Hope you had a wonderful time!

4s2many, I can't remember when you started? If it was the 10th, you are past the point of induction flu so maybe you caught a virus somewhere. I know there has been one going around where we are at - nausea, vomiting, bottom end.... My dd class teacher is wiping all the desks and chairs with clorox this past week to fend it off. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Made yummy bunless burgers tonight - had some leftover ground turkey/beef. Topped the burgers with mayo and mustard mixed together, and a slice of cheese. Pickle on the side...delish!

4s2many, so sorry to hear your feeling yucky! When I am sick, and I need SOMETHING to settle my tummy, but I really want to try and stay on plan, I nibble on a plain rice cake and sip some hot broth. The rice cake is only 35 calories and 7 carbs...I know 7 carbs for 1 silly rice cake seems like a lot, but thats a lot less carbs then most regular bread or crackers. And its gluten free, so it shouldn't bloat you like breads might. Anyways, hope you feel better soon!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KWAY2B185
Stats: 254.4/248.8/185
Start Date: January 26, 2014/January 29, 2014(Atkins 72)
Good morning all, (sorry this is long...I am super excited)

I think I have found it! My name is Katrina...I started Atkins on Sun. Jan 28. I had read the latest Atkins book "The New Atkins for a New You" and had been preparing myself to begin for about a month now. Let's see, I have struggled with my weight since I joined the Army in '97. I remember having to lose water weight just to make tape and I was 160 lbs and 5' 8". That struggle went on for the entire time I was in (8 years); of course it helped that I was running at least 10-15 miles a week and doing high intensity training. I was able to keep my weight under 185. Once I got out...the weight piled on because I did workout as often because let's face it, I got paid to work out. That's odd that I didn't keep doing it because I actually LOVE running and lifting weights.

Through the years I have learned that I am an emotional eater, carbs are NOT friend, stress causes me to gain weight. Now that I know that, I believe that Atkins is the thing for me. Since Sunday, I have been feeling so much better in terms of being bloated and feeling heavy.

On Sunday I started out at 254.4 lbs. and measured Arms-14 1/2, Bust line-44 1/2, Part around breast-47 1/2, Waist-53 1/2, Hips-52, & Thighs-29 1/2. This was my first time ever measuring and I have to admit that those numbers terrify me but also motivate me at the same. I wanted to have something else to challenge me other than the numbers on the scale because that thing will go UP and DOWN and can get discouraging. I vowed to not weigh myself until after two weeks, but I gave IN last night. I had my sister look on my calendar to see my start weight and to weigh me but only tell me if it was a gain or loss. When she said gain, I freaked out. It said 257 lbs. Yes I got super upset because I had been eating exactly what was on the plan and staying under 20 carbs. I thought maybe it was because I had a bowel movement, then I remembered reading about the flax muffins...I made one with just eggs, flax, and cinnamon...added some cream cheese-It was good but...I still wasn't quite at peace yet. So about 4 a.m. I woke up and check out the threads here and ended up in the Atkins 72 thread. I knew it was God send. After reading here, I decided that today I would do it the original way and forget about all the other complications that the newer Atkins books have added like, counting calories too? Thats too much, I like my eggs cooked with a little bacon grease, and I love chicken/tuna salad with Dukes mayo because it's the only one that doesn't have any sugar. So, I went to the bathroom this morning twice and I got on the scale again and it said 254.2...yes a loss of .2 lbs. However, I am noticing something very different though, the red pants I am wearing are now fitting way looser than they did last week, my shirt is looser, my belly is getting flatter and my side (love) handles are decreasing. It is safe to say that I believe that this way of life is working so far, even after 3-4 days.

I haven't had the desire to cheat like I have been reading on several threads. That may be partially due to the fact that I KNOW what carbs do to my body. In July, I had gained the 30 lbs that I had lost while on WW back and my doctor instructed me not to eat anything white or starchy, no high fructose corn syrup, no breads or corn tortillas or taco shells for 3 months...just meat, whole grains, fruit and vegetables and not to eat after 7 p.m.. Well...on the positive side of things I didn't gain, however, I didn't lose either and I still craved Breads, sweet things, carbs. After that experiment, I learned a LOT about my body and I still could not loose that midnight snacking..you know that feeling of NEEDING to have something to eat. I was bad, I would eat a couple of times in the middle of night: a sandwich, grapes, an orange, bowl of cereal. Crazy right? It was those carbs!

Nonetheless, I am glad to have experienced that because I believe it is helping with my will power to succeed this time.

So, as of this morning, I have decided to change my WOE to Atkins '72. I will be returning the new version of Atkins and it's cookbook back to the library today! Of course I didn't buy it, and glad I didn't, but I will be combing for the Atkins '72 book online to purchase it.

Thanks to you guys and your stories, I believe that I have the right place for support on this life changing journey. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Oh and MthGoos: I hope you don't mind if I change your tag line up a bit just for today only... "A year from now, I will be glad I started today"

_______________________________ (my self created signature until the admins let me)

Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Katrina!! Great to have you here. You will find a lot of support. We also have an induction thread each month if you would like to join it. The January thread is here - JANUARY CHALLENGE but it is almost over and we will begin a February thread soon.

Mthrgoos is a great supporter and willing to offer advice and help along the journey! I too love the 72 version more so than any other. Many stay on the induction for a long time to help with weight loss. I know Mthrgoos does, and I always go back to induction whenever I show a gain. For me 72' is just so much more simpler and easy to follow than the newer versions. Keep at it and you will get the weight off.

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."Henry Ford

My Weight Journal ~MissyDee~

Old 01-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome Katrina! So glad to have you join us! I hope you post often so we can get to know you better and, as Missy said, come on over and join us for the end of the January Challenge. You'll find a great group of people over there, posting every day to help keep you motivated. I know I've found that the help and support that comes from the people on these boards is definitely the difference for me. If I'm feeling weak, or frustrated, it's the people here that keep me going, so we hopefully we can do the same for you!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Thanks MJG06 and MthrGoos. I'm headed over that way right now to join in for the rest of the month.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #226
Senior LCF Member

My Mouth Tastes Like My Breath STINKS!!!

Brushing my teeth doesn't help and it almost feels as if I am dehydrated but I have already had 64 oz of water, and am having another 16 as I type. What is going on?

Old 01-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #227
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That means you're in Ketosis!!!! Enjoy it!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Whoooo Hooooo!!!!!

Old 01-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #229
Junior LCF Member

Welcome Katrina! I am excited to start a February challenge soon. My big motivation right now is that 2 of my darling daughters will be flower girls in a wedding In early June and I am anticipating lots of great dress up/photo opportunities. I want to actually look like their mom, not some frumpy, overweight caretaker. I want to do them proud! I remember when I was about 40 lbs. lighter and I would wear a sundress or something feminine and my oldest daughter, then 5, would say something sweet like "wow, you look pretty mommy!" Now it's black yoga pants and whatever random shirt I can find that fits....sometimes just one of my husband's undershirts. Yuk! I am motivated! We can do this!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimbersh47
Stats: 5'5" 330/231/149
Start Date: January 2, 2014
My name is Kimber. I started Jan 2 of this year and to date have lost 20lbs!!! I am happy to have found this thread as I am following Atkin's 72 (the simplicity of it is what attracted me) and will enjoy talking with others that are as well.
I did Atkins about 8 years ago and did very well with it but I looked at it as a temporary way of eating until I lost the weight. Once the weight was off I went back to my old ways of eating and guess what?!! I gained all my weight back plus more And this actually surprised me!!
Well, it took me 8 years but I am happy to say that I have finally realized that sugar, wheat and all that starch is just not my friend. Tastes good going down but the excess weight, the foggy brain, the achy joints, the no energy, the constant hunger is JUST NOT WORTH IT!!
I have been cheat free since Jan 2 and it feels great to have control. It feels great to know that if I am hungry, I don't have to fret about it....I can have something to tide me over. Those times are far and few between tho! Most of the time I have to remind myself that I should eat something!! I love that!
I am eating the oopsie rolls just about every day---love them! I make mine with mayo instead of cream cheese. Can't tell the difference!! YUM YUM

I look forward to coming here daily and reading how everyone else is doing!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome Kimber!! Great to have you join us! You might want to pop over to the induction thread and join us for the end of the January Challenge and start the February challenge with us. We post over there pretty much every day and would love to have you join us!

I hope you'll post often so we can get to know you better!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:15 AM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justiceajba View Post
Welcome Katrina! I am excited to start a February challenge soon. My big motivation right now is that 2 of my darling daughters will be flower girls in a wedding In early June and I am anticipating lots of great dress up/photo opportunities. I want to actually look like their mom, not some frumpy, overweight caretaker. I want to do them proud! I remember when I was about 40 lbs. lighter and I would wear a sundress or something feminine and my oldest daughter, then 5, would say something sweet like "wow, you look pretty mommy!" Now it's black yoga pants and whatever random shirt I can find that fits....sometimes just one of my husband's undershirts. Yuk! I am motivated! We can do this!!!
Justice, I can't wait to see the thin you in those wedding photos! I used to do that, wear frumpy dark clothing too, girl, wear them pants on the track. Even at this size, once I changed my outer appearance, it did something to me on the inside too (I know some may not agree). When I look good, I feel good. Heck, even met my bf because of it. Our weight loss is just going to improve us!

I agree, we can do this!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...s-journey.html

Old 02-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: onthepath
Stats: 234/213/180
WOE: low carb
Start Date: June 2012
I have been low carbing off and on for many years. Can't seem to lose anymore with it, so tried JUDDD, but didn't want to live every other day starving and anxious for the day to be over. I did buy the 1972 book from Amazon a few months ago. Skimmed it, but didn't devour it. I've considered a fat fast, and bought Dana Carpenters book on that. I've read several other eating plans on lcf's and the more I read the more confused and undecided I get.Guess I just can't decide what the best way to get the last 30 pounds off from when I quit smoking 2 years ago. Just can't seem to get it off. And now can't decide what woeing I want to live with. So the result of this confusion is losing and regaining the same 5-10 pounds. I know I am happy and feel great on low carb, but I also want to lose some more weight. Maybe 1972 is what I should do. Might pick up the book again and see what happens. But I wanted to say hello and make sure I can follow this thread.
Gloria
Old 02-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Hi Gloria and Welcome!

It can be very confusing trying to choose what woe you should do and for the long term. My motto is to learn what your 'normal' eating habits are that you are comfortable with and try to find a plan, even if you have to modify one, that work for you not only to lose weight but for long-term. 72 may be it, but it may not, or you may need to modify a plan or two just for you. You can always start on the plan and see how it goes and tweak it as needed or even change if it doesn't work. The main thing is to get started and then you can look at it as like a research project while you figure out how your body works and what woe will be best for you.

For me 72 and Juddd combined worked best because I have little to no appetite. I needed to be able to NOT eat some days. SO I modified the two together - I would do fast days where I didn't have to eat and days using only 72 Induction.

Now that I am less than 40lbs to goal, I am trying to figure out what will work on a more permanent basis. Still using a combo of both plans, but now I am not always using induction only. Still a work in progress as I haven't figured exactly how to stabilize my plan. I bounced up and down all over the place last month. But there again, for me that is part of the learning process.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lancer1977
Stats: 297/More healthy/Very healthy
WOE: Atkins 72ish
Start Date: 9/23/2011
Awesome work Kimber! One receipe I really love thats pretty low carb are mashed Cauliflower. Mix with some butter and heavy cream and I honestly like it better then Mashed Potatoes. Maybe it's the extra fat? :X Can almost get the kids to eat it... still a work in progress...

mjgh06,I can't agree more regarding WOE. You do need to find what works for you that you can LIVE with. For most weight loss is not a condition that you can overcome after a series of actions. For myself and I know many others it's almost like disease that you have to adapt to, in order to keep it at bay.

I've found when speaking with family and friends it's easy to get caught up in titles sometimes. Personally I actually try to adapt the knowledge from Dr Atkins and some martial arts philosophy, that of water. Bruce Lee summarized said, don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Of course we are made up mostly of water but I have been adapting my diet based on the realities of each day. When water crashes upon a rock wall, it may get knocked back, but it simply collects itself and finds a new avenue to flow. I will admit (although not very atkins 72 of me) that I do eat some carbs now and then. Last week the family wanted five guys cheeseburgers, so I just got a cheeseburger with all the fixins and skipped the fries. I didn't lament the fall from grace. I know this has to be a way of life long term for me so I need to practice what is livable. A bit of compromise if you will now and then.

I've been at it for almost a month now. No idea how much weight I've lost, clothes continue to fit better, and I feel so much healthier. I've been going a bit veggie nuts and eating 4 servings of non-starchy vegetables. Only real issue lately is I'm ravenously hungry in the mornings and I never have time to cook so have to hit the work cafeteria. Luckily they have plenty of eggs and breakfast meats :X
Old 02-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #236
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWAY2B185 View Post
Justice, I can't wait to see the thin you in those wedding photos! I used to do that, wear frumpy dark clothing too, girl, wear them pants on the track. Even at this size, once I changed my outer appearance, it did something to me on the inside too (I know some may not agree). When I look good, I feel good. Heck, even met my bf because of it. Our weight loss is just going to improve us!

I agree, we can do this!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...s-journey.html

Thanks, Katrina! I so agree that I should put more effort into my look, but I'm too cheap!!! I gained a ton of weight with my last pregnancy (baby is now 12 months), so I'm out of maternity clothes but too big for my regular clothes! Ugh! So I have 2 pairs of black yoga pants. But as I slowly lose weight, I will have some new options in my closet. That is a huge motivation for me! Looking forward to doing this weight loss with some support from these boards. I've only ever gone at it alone and I know having online support from people with similar goals will make all the difference!!
Old 02-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #237
Junior LCF Member

Is anyone here doing the February challenge where you post your weight everyday?? I just got started and hope to some of you there, or wherever else you got to kick it into turbo I have a pretty aggressive goal...I'd love a 10 lb. loss this month. I love reading your posts and the positive mindset on this thread. Whenever I have successfully lost weight in the past, I have focused on being positive and banishing that negative self talk. And if I slip up, I get back on the wagon the very next meal...no free pass for the rest of the day, weekend, week...etc. That really helps. And not wallowing in guilt...that always backfires and triggers more emotional eating. Hope you all are having a great low carb weekend!
Old 02-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Justice, there are several of us on here that also post in the February Challenge on the Induction Board. You can find it here February Challenge
Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #239
Senior LCF Member

How is it, that after over 2 yrs of low carbing, I am JUST NOW discovering the glory of eggs fried IN THE BACON GREASE?! I usually fry my bacon separate from my eggs, but I was in a hurry the other day and did bacon first, and then threw in two eggs after the bacon was done. The grease almost poached the eggs into nice soft deliciousness...I am hooked! Yummmmm.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pickles1010
Stats: 198 /190.5 /160 5'8
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: Jan. 2004/ Restart:Jan 2014
Oh my goodness,bacon grease is the bomb,I use it for so many things. It's great to use in place of butter in lots of vegetables and to saute them and of course EGGS. I cook a bunch of Bacon at once and keep a jar in the fridge just for bacon grease.
Closed Thread