Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #181
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miniapplecocoa
Stats: 240.8
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/12/14
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone.

Missy you are correct. The support is key. But it has to be with people who understand the plan. I have a vegan health coach daughter that told me to eat a sweet potato with banana on top. LOL! I wanted to start screaming at her but she meant well. LOL! I was really feeling the "hungry-anger" at the time.

I then read (all) and posted to this forum. Doing that stopped me from eating carbs for that time.

I am going try my hardest this time to keep it clean and check in often. I have gained all but 57lbs back. My lowest was 170ish. Highest 297!!! I am now 240.

My head is pretty hard so in the last 10 years I have tried many alternatives to low carb. But the bottom line is I am a sugar-holic. Fruit, sweet potato, or whole wheat pancakes any carby stuff, I just can't stop. Also, food was my very very best friend. So, other types of support are essential for me.

I am also a lot older and while my medical stuff does not compare to what I read on this board. I have hit the middle age "metabolic syndrome curse."

I'm done kidding myself. It is what it is and I'm glad to have a plan and a place to go (for free) that allows me to not feel like I'm starving and bloated at the same time. LOL!

Have a beautiful rest of the weekend everyone. Thanks.

Last edited by miniapplecocoa; 01-18-2014 at 06:00 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnPaleoGuy View Post
Is the recipe over at Linda's low carb the best/easiest one to follow?

Yes, I really like LS Improved revolution Rolls but I leave out the Splenda.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyoung View Post
What are oopsies and DANDR?
Oopsies or revolution rolls are a bread/roll substitute that is low carb. DANDR is Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and was not the original version. It was published in 2002. DADR Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution is the original 1972 version.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #184
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lmyoung
Stats: 222/195/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 6, 2014
Thanks!!

Google: blogilates no-carb-bread

I found this one. Too good to be true?

Last edited by lmyoung; 01-19-2014 at 05:48 AM..
Old 01-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CdnPaleoGuy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2014
I was planning on leaving out the splenda as well
Old 01-19-2014, 07:16 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyoung View Post
Thanks!!

I found this one. Too good to be true?
This would probably be an okay recipe outside of Induction or the 72 Atkins. It is counting net carbs per slice not total carbs. 72 Atkins counts total carbs and it is much higher in total as flax seed alone has 2carbs per 1tbs. Also remember they can say 0 carb when it ranges from actual 0 to 1.49 carbs. If it is at the high end of 1.49 in two slices of bread you will be getting almost 3 carbs. But really any low carb bread recipe is better than eating the normal bread which can go as high as 50carbs. I personally would also modify the recipe as some have suggested already.

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."Henry Ford

My Weight Journal ~MissyDee~

Last edited by mjgh06; 01-19-2014 at 07:19 AM..
Old 01-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #187
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lmyoung
Stats: 222/195/130
Start Date: January 6, 2014
Google: Baked Garlic Chicken Thighs - Low Carb Recipe

I've got this in the over right now. Looks like a good choice.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Must be a chicken night. I have been baking a whole chicken for two hours now and the house smells wonderful!!!

What part of Texas are you from Imyoung? I grew up in Killeen.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Ok, so I'm home now and yes, it is confusing! I have the hard cover book and on pg. 135, the last line concerns the The First Life-Changing Week and to eat nothing that's not on the list. Next two pages have the lists with bolded titles. Then on pg. 138, the rules are listed with the Vegetable and Salad lists directly below that. This is where the confusion comes in I think, at least for me. It's only when I looked at the suggested menus for Level I and compared it with Level II that you can see the vegetables are added then.
I have all 3 books DADR, DANDR & NANNY. The strange part for me is he has revolution rolls right in week 1/day 1 menus in DADR. They seem to be a staple. Also, unless I'm the one getting confused, both DADR & DANDR both count total carbs; the net carbs came out in NANNY. Am I off the rails here?
Old 01-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnPaleoGuy View Post
I have all 3 books DADR, DANDR & NANNY. The strange part for me is he has revolution rolls right in week 1/day 1 menus in DADR. They seem to be a staple. Also, unless I'm the one getting confused, both DADR & DANDR both count total carbs; the net carbs came out in NANNY. Am I off the rails here?
I have read every Atkins book published including his medical journals. There are actually a few different publishings of the DANDR book. The 1990 version said total, but the newer version in 2000 said net carbs. Same book different date of publishing, so that tells you how different and confusing things can be. From a personal note from someone who actually knew Dr. A and was a patient of his for a long time, I now believe he starting changing it to net carbs due to push-back from others around him. Just my opinion, but that is why I only do total carb count not the net.

On the issue of the revolution rolls in the 72 version, he uses cottage cheese which is allowed. Many people have changed the recipe to use cream cheese which is not allowed. Here's the original allowed recipe:

Straight from the 1972 Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution book
Makes 6 rolls

Pam spray
3 eggs separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons cottage cheese
1 package of Sugar Twin*

1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. Separate eggs very carefully
(make sure that none of the yolk gets into the whites.)
3. Spray Pam on a Teflon cookie sheet.
4. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until whites are stiff but not dry.
5. Fold in yolks, cottage cheese and Sugar Twin
(Be extremely careful not to break down the egg whites. Mix for no more than 1 minute.)
6. Place the mixture carefully on the Teflon cookie sheet, gently putting one tablespoon full on top of another until each “roll” is about 2 inches high. Repeat this until you have 6 piles.
7. Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for about 1 hour
Old 01-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte
Ok, so I'm home now and yes, it is confusing! I have the hard cover book and on pg. 135, the last line concerns the The First Life-Changing Week and to eat nothing that's not on the list. Next two pages have the lists with bolded titles. Then on pg. 138, the rules are listed with the Vegetable and Salad lists directly below that. This is where the confusion comes in I think, at least for me. It's only when I looked at the suggested menus for Level I and compared it with Level II that you can see the vegetables are added then.
Here's how I explained this on Page 1 of this thread -
I have seen posts where someone states their are acceptable salad veggies allowed during the first week of induction that I believe are not listed. Under salads the first week pg. 137 it states (bold I did for emphasis)- "Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus . . . green olives."

I think people have added in the veggies that are allowed starting week 2 on pg. 138. Induction week above clearly states leafy greens, celery OR cucmbers and radishes. OR a sour pickle instead of salad, plus GREEN olives. If induction week were to include the salad material listed on pg. 138, there would have been some reference to it on the induction page listing.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #192
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Justiceajba
Stats: 180/167/130
WOE: Atkins '72
Hi there! My name is Michelle. I've never listed on this site before but I have read the '72 threads from the beginning! Just wanted to say thank you for all of the great information and tips you all have posted over the years. I have done Akins several times with great success, but have always managed to slip back to my old ways of overheating and carb binging! I am now turning 40 with 3 kiddos, and now I'm finding it so much more difficult to lose weight. In fact I think I've even gained on later versions of Atkins so now I'm really looking for info on how to a more strict and limited version of Atkins where I can loose 40-50 lbs once and for all! I'm having a tough time staying on '72 though. I've lost a few pounds but have been relaxing the rules at night and getting into either nuts or Atkins bars which I keep on hand for my husband. Agh! How did you all get through the first week? I have not gotten to the appetite suppressing stage but I hope it's coming soon if I can get through 4-5 consecutive days with no (even mild) cheating! It's coming, right?

Last edited by Justiceajba; 01-20-2014 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 01-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
Start Date: 2/22/13
Welcome Michelle! Ketosis is different for everyone, so some people don't really get that complete appetite suppression, and some do. But the longer that you stay on plan, with no cheats, the easier it does get and the more the cravings go away. It's really important to do a clean induction to get you started. I would suggest getting rid of the Atkins bars and nuts. Get them out of the house so that you're not even tempted. If you can't get through the night without something, then have some cheese or eggs or something like that. I know the first week can be tough, but the more you do it, the easier it gets. It can really help you to stay on track if you come to the boards and read and post. It keeps your head in the right place. You can do this, and we're here to help.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/140.5/130
WOE: HDE/FF
All this time I thought the "New Diet Revolution", not counting fiber was the original. After doing extensive reading here and elsewhere, I am restarting today with the original Induction. Thanks for bringing this out and keeping us straight mjgh06 & MtherGoos!
Old 01-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #195
Junior LCF Member

Wow, Mgoos, your stats are so impressive! congrats on being well on your way towards your goal. I think you are right that the bars and nuts need to go...maybe the hubs can keep them at work. I'm ready to get down to brass tacks and make some progress. I am probably overly expecting this magical appetite suppressant and sabotaging myself when it does not happen. And MM I am with you on not realizing the diet had a more strict origin with the '72 version. Reading these boards clued me in to that. I think the whole net carb thing made the Atkins Program less effective and more confusing for many people. Net carbs worked for me when I first did Atkins in college but it is for sure not working for me now (sigh).
Old 01-20-2014, 01:43 PM   #196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No worries Justice, I promise you that it will get easier. The longer you stick with it, the more it just becomes your lifestyle. We have so many great options to choose from, and it's so easy to eat out, that it doesn't even feel like a diet.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #197
Junior LCF Member

One more thing...when I HAVE managed to get in the zone for a good stretch, 2 products that have helped me are Dukes Mayonnaise (any Southerner will tell you it's the best and the full-fat version is sugar free) And also an organic seasoning/salt called Herbamare that gives eggs and white meats a lot more flavor since I tend to get sick of meat! Just wanted to add my 2 cents but you Atkins pros probably already know every induction trick there is!
Old 01-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, we can always use new tips and tricks. I have ordered Duke's online before, because, unfortunately, it's not available here.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justiceajba View Post
Hi there! My name is Michelle.
& I echo the words of others here; hide those atkins bars & other things not on the list. It will make things relatively easier for you.
mjgh06: we're counting total carbs as well here; hopefully it will make the difference. I have the same recipe; just wondering if the cottage cheese won't make for a runnier final product?
Old 01-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Cdn, drain the cottage cheese through a strainer at least twice before adding it in. That helps a lot.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/140.5/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Jan, 1st – 10th New Revolution Induction -3.1#
Jan, 11th – 19th Sick, 3 days of dumb carb choices, 6 days NR Induction -.20
Jan, 20th – 25th ’72 Induction ?

Day 1 of '72 Induction, down 2.4 I believe, I believe, I believe!

Yesterday's meals
Breakfast – 2 eggs, 2 bacon, coffee with 4t HWC, 1 oz cheddar
Lunch – Leftover pot roast, sliced cucumber
Dinner – Hamburger Patty with cheese, sliced Daikon radish with mustard-mayo sauce, 3/4 C lettuce, 1/4 lemon, boiled egg

Today
Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 bacon, coffee with 4t HWC
Lunch - Tuna Salad, sliced Daikon radish
Dinner - Sliced Tri-Tip, 1 C Lettuce, 1/2 lemon
Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Afternoon/Evening Ladies.
Still haven't given the oopsies a try yet; perhaps next hamburger day
I'm trying my hand at sous vide steaks tonight. Hopefully they come out as advertised in the cooking threads I follow.
Have been waking up with very mild headaches; can't be the Atkin's flu as I've been <20g for at least 3 weeks now. Someone in one of my DW FB chat rooms said to up the protein when that happens; thoughts?
Still haven't measured or checked the scale. I figure when my pants come off without having to unbuckle; maybe then I'll check
Old 01-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Cdn, haven't heard low protein causing headaches. Could it be something else new you are eating/drinking? Are you taking any new supplements? I can't remember how much you weigh. If you want to state it and height, I could tell you what gram amount of protein per day you should get at a minimum.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
Cdn, haven't heard low protein causing headaches. Could it be something else new you are eating/drinking? Are you taking any new supplements? I can't remember how much you weigh. If you want to state it and height, I could tell you what gram amount of protein per day you should get at a minimum.
6'3" bubbling around 260ish
No other changes that I know of; total carb counts for the past 3-4 days has been below 16 but I don't think that's it. Perhaps I need a snack in the evening despite not being hungry?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #205
Senior LCF Member

well, protein-wise you should strive for 100g a day if not exercising regularly. If you are an active exerciser it could go up to 150g a day. I don't know what your goal weight is, but if you are eating about 2000cals a day with up to 20g of carbs, you should get to normal body fat% 15-18% in August.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #206
Junior LCF Member

Had a few good days on '72 induction. Dropped a few pounds, and out of the obese category by a hair! Yay! Creating a login here and immersing myself in the boards has helped tremendously. Next goal is go get to 165 which should get me into my size 10 pants or at least make my size 12 s a lot more comfortable.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congratulations! You're off to a great start!!!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
well, protein-wise you should strive for 100g a day if not exercising regularly. If you are an active exerciser it could go up to 150g a day. I don't know what your goal weight is, but if you are eating about 2000cals a day with up to 20g of carbs, you should get to normal body fat% 15-18% in August.
MJGH06: we try to hit the gym 3-4 times a week. Usually a combo of weights on the machines then some laps in the pool. Still recovering from a wrist injury.
August eh? Slow & easy I suppose.....
Old 01-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #209
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 4s2many
Stats: 255.5/ 240.2 /160
Start Date: 08/31/14
Hi everyone. My name is Kristin. I am back after a pretty long hiatus. I did 72 a while ago and lost 80 pounds. I was doing good keeping it off till I got ill. Chemo and other meds helped me gain all the weight back. Then I sort of stopped caring. So here I am about a week in half on 72 induction. Took a while to get the scale moving and to feel better but I think it is finally working. I lost my book during our move south, so I ordered one on Amazon. I hope it comes soon. I am thankful for this site and used it very often back then (forgot my user name and password, even the old email, so I made a new profile). The sticky at the top and this thread has really helped me already. Thank you.
I also want to ask, I used a carb counter online back when... I can't remember the name. It was very helpful. Any suggestions? I am sure there are a bunch of new ones that are even better now.

Last edited by 4s2many; 01-23-2014 at 06:10 PM..
Old 01-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Kristin! It's nice to "meet" you. I hope you'll post often so that we can get to know you better.
Closed Thread