Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Welcome Imyoung! You'll find tons of great info and support here! Come on over to the Atkins Induction Forum and join us in the January Challenge thread.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #152
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lmyoung
Stats: 222/195/130
Start Date: January 6, 2014
Thanks. I'm looking forward to the support. I've tried the New Diet Revolution and had to return to the original one. I particularly like the posts where the pitfalls are discussed with the hidden carbs. Really can be an eye opener.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, you definitely have to keep it clean, especially during induction. If you can, try to stick meat, eggs, cheese, and your fats, such as olive oil, coconut oil, butter, and mayo. Stick to real foods. The first few days can be tough, but it's so worth it!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CdnPaleoGuy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2014
think I may have knocked myself out of ketosis. When out to the pub to celebrate adding a candle to the cake & had 1 beer. Couldn't find any nutrition info on haggis & had a fork full of cheese cake.
We have a copy of DANDR & NANNY but not the original. If I've lost the sweet taste in my mouth that I've had for the past week or two; do I limit myself to just 2 salads a day or the pickle/olive combo?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by 2 salads or pickles and olives, but your best bet is to just put it behind you and get right back on track. Keeo it clean, stick to the foods on the allowed list and drink plenty of water. You may see a temporary gain on the scale, and it may take a few days to start losing again, but just get right back on track.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnPaleoGuy View Post
think I may have knocked myself out of ketosis. When out to the pub to celebrate adding a candle to the cake & had 1 beer. Couldn't find any nutrition info on haggis & had a fork full of cheese cake.
We have a copy of DANDR & NANNY but not the original. If I've lost the sweet taste in my mouth that I've had for the past week or two; do I limit myself to just 2 salads a day or the pickle/olive combo?

Yes, get back on track... eat the meats, eggs, allowed dairy and just either the two cups of leafy greens or pickles.

Welcome here and I seen you on the Induction thread as well. It will usually take about 3-4 days to get back into ketosis.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #157
Junior LCF Member

Anyone have any advice on Jello sugar free jello? I'm really craving something sweet and want to avoid any and all hidden carbs. My system really reacts to them and quickly!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Personally, I don't eat it, but I know a lot of people do. I would think that if you really have to have it, go ahead and try it and see how your body handles it. If you can white knuckle through it, you'll find that the cravings greatly diminish, and even go away, the longer you stay on plan. But if you really need something, the sugar free jello would be better for you than a sugar filled snack.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #159
Junior LCF Member

I have some leftover stevia. Is this okay? It occurs to me that a lot of our products today were not in existence when Atkins 72 came out. It's so good to have feedback.

I made a big cup of orange spice lipton tea that says no cal/carb with a packet of stevia. This helped some of my sugar craving.

What about broccoli, cauliflower, and bell peppers for long term induction? I'm thinking faux mashed potatoes this weekend.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you're actually doing Atkins 72 Induction, then those vegetables aren't allowed. Once you move on to Ongoing Weight Loss, then you can add them in, but only very slowly, to find out how many carbs your body can tolerate and still lose. For your best losses, and especially during the first couple weeks of induction, it's best to keep it clean and stick to the allowed foods lists.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pickles1010
Stats: 198 /190.5 /160 5'8
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: Jan. 2004/ Restart:Jan 2014
MtherGoos Thank you. How cool you are so close. We just went down there 2 weeks ago to Hobby Lobby and to check out the bridge since we used to live there. What a sad place( London Bridge) Everything out of bussiness, used to have some good places to eat. I dusted off my copy of DADR and found I was way off. Started new on Monday and so far feeling great and not hungry. I have fresh lettuce in the hothouse and so do not have to go to the store all the time. We smoked a Pork Butt 2 days ago and Bashas has split chicken breasts on sale for $0.99 lb so will stock up. I always do that, I make them boneless /skinless and cook the bones to make broth.

Ever seen a skinny grain eater? ( pig, horse, cow)
Ever seen a fat protein eater? (tiger, leopard, lion)

Old 01-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Monika, Yes, it's very depressing down at the bridge to know what used to be and how it is now. I stop by Basha's once a day to check out the meat counter. Every day they put the meat on sale that is getting close to the expiration date. I often pick up Ribeye steaks for a couple of dollars. Also, they promote the fact that their ground beef is ground fresh every day, so if they have any leftover from the day before, they also mark it down pretty cheap. I check each day, and when I find something on sale, I grab it and stock the freezer. Some days there will be a lot of stuff marked down, and some days I don't find anything, but it's always worth checking.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #163
Junior LCF Member

fifteenspatulas Spice Rubbed Chicken Thighs Recipe {Quick & Easy Weeknight Meal}
Just made this. . .Really quite good!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lancer1977
Stats: 297/More healthy/Very healthy
WOE: Atkins 72ish
Start Date: 9/23/2011
Hello, again, old friends. Checking in here. It's been a few years since my last confession. :X I've been way off plan for a while and feeling like utter garbage and starting to fear for my life has brought me back on the straight and narrow. I've been battling my weight since I was a wee lad. The only diet I really ever seem to be relatively happy on is Atkins ('82 version). I'm eating some carbs but no fraken carbs, no starchy foods or sugars (usually), lots of vegitables, lots of chicken, eggs, pork, etc. Biggest change to my "diet" is I've decided to take an experiment this time around and hide my scale in the closet.

My theory is that over the years I've always made diets into a start, finish scenario. I had a goal that was a real number. Being the type of person I am I always wanted to get to that number as fast as possible. Over the years as weight loss became harder and harder to achieve, the results were more and more demoralizing. I don't know if it's a symptom of my ADD that yearns for the micro-accomplishments, but that's what it became. A series of challenges and failures. So this time we're doing it a bit different. No scales. No goal, because there is no end to the fight. So I'm hopeful that this will just become my new norm. Time will tell, but I am on week 2 and feeling better, had to get smaller jeans, shirts are draping a bit loser, cooking new food for myself and the family, and I'm a lot more energetic.

Just got to keep the ball rolling.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: junebug
Stats: CW 155 / GW 110
WOE: Atkins72/Stillmans
Start Date: June 2011
Hi everyone - just popping in to say hi! I am going away on vaca all of next week and will try to stay as true to 72 as I can (wish me luck!), but, I figure I can do salads for lunches and cooked veggies with steak etc...even though its not 72 its better then having a sandwich or pasta! And I am not limiting my wine...it IS vaca after all. But when I get back I am coming right back to 72. Ill probably bring the book with me to re-read on the flight home, it always motivates me!

On a side note, had a great dinner tonight: Made boneless pork chops in the skillet with a puddle of chicken broth. Added some garlic and italian seasonings. Topped with feta. If you are at a stage where you can have veggies I bet some diced tomatos would be awesome mixed in with this! Or Rotel! Yummmm....
Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

*by salads not being 72, I mean the big loaded restaurant kind I do eat my 2 cups of lettuce, lol.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lancer1977
Stats: 297/More healthy/Very healthy
WOE: Atkins 72ish
Start Date: 9/23/2011
I had some Tilapia the other day I cooked up with Cajun seasonings. Made a sauce out of 1 pt water, 1 pt heavy cream, and 1 part butter, with a ton of garlic and a bit of salt. Simmered it and reduced it a bit , was quite delicious.

I forgot about rotel. That goes nicely with so many things.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Thankfully I've noticed that the sweet taste in my mouth isn't gone. Trying to keep it as clean as I can.
And as a bonus, I managed to find an original copy of DADR today!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Sounds like you have it figured out this time lancer! For me at least this is NOT a diet. It is a way of eating for life. Yes, I hope to lose weight on it, but that is not my long-term goal. KUTGW and be healthy!

Good plan for your vacation junebug! Everyone needs time away and don't get discouraged or beat yourself up if you stray from plan more than you expect. You know when you get back you be right back on track and whatever gains you may have, will fall right off. The biggest problem I see is people expected they can or will stay perfectly on plan 100% of the time 365days a year, and then they beat themselves up for not being able to to. Don't do that. We have to allow ourselves to indulge at times without guilt, as long as thse times don't become an every day occurance. Have Fun!

Yeah Cdn!!! I have been in ketosis for so long now, I no longer can tell the signs of it anymore. But it is such a great feeling when you realize - Hey my body is finally burning FAT!!

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."Henry Ford

My Weight Journal ~MissyDee~

Old 01-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pickles1010
Stats: 198 /190.5 /160 5'8
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: Jan. 2004/ Restart:Jan 2014
Good Morning all.
Just made my wallet lighter,went meat shopping.One of our local stores had fresh ground round for $ 2.77lb. I got 2and husband got 2and each of us got 2packages of chicken breasts at@ $0.99lb. There was a 2pack limit per person.
I skin and bone them and make broth from them.Making burger patties this afternoon.They go in the smoker and freezer.Chicken can wait till tomorrow.
I did buy for the first time ever some Atkins frozen dinners,hope I won't be disappointed.
I may go back this Sunday and get more ground beef, it's ground round 90% lean
and at this store always fresh ground every day.I will be broke but prices are not coming down.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #171
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miniapplecocoa
Stats: 240.8
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/12/14
Whew! I made it!

Hi everyone. I read every single post on this thread from the beginning. Whew. It took me a couple hours. I'm so glad I started at the beginning. I learned a lot.

I have been Atkins 72 for 5 days now. I was not doing it correctly. I ate 1/2 avocado every day for fat. Also, I was becoming alarmed at the amount of meat I must consume to sort of ward off my craving. I Really needed the advice that Missy supplied about up-ing the fat. Heck, all the good advice here for that matter.

I am still having terrible cravings, feel fuzzy headed and cranky and still craving sweets and carbs bad. I suspect a dairy problem. I have been having 3-4 oz of cheese daily too. Nothing else off plan except little slivers of onion. I am in moderate ketosis.

I intend to make the corrections and use the advice I read about on this thread going forward. I just wanted to drop in and say hello and Thank you.

This is really a great thread with some good people from what I have read. Thanks for letting me join in.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Missy thanks for the words of support! I do imagine I will slip a bit, but you are right, i will jump right back on track when I return. I am going to do my best to keep it low carb so a splurge here or there is okay.

My new fav lunch, is a tuna melt, sans the bread...I just do tuna with mayo and a bit of celery in a bowl and melt a slice of cheese on top. Yummy!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:54 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Welcome mini! I hope you stick around this time and post often. I love meeting and talking with people. I also think one of the main reasons we sometimes gain weight back is we leave the support we have on these forums and think heck we reached goal we're good. I think of this now as a lifelong endeavor like any other issue - we need forever long-term support of each other to help keep us on track and just to be there for support and encouragement. So even when you reach goal, please stick around or come back so often just to say hi. It's not only good for you but your story and encouragement can and would help someone new. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Junebug, YW. I don't like tuna to much anymore. I think I ate to much of it. But I found a LS recipe for tuna patties, that I may try.

Last edited by mjgh06; 01-18-2014 at 05:56 AM..
Old 01-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #174
Junior LCF Member

Fantastic, Mini. I'm very new to the threads. I lurked for a couple of days and then joined. The support really helps. I've been on Atkins before, but this time for a couple of weeks. Since I retired, I have lost about 20 pounds naturally. No stress. Now I just want to get some weight off my joints. I spent 37 years teaching and on my feet. Gotta reverse some of that damage, hopefully.

I like to cook using lots of spices and that helps curb all manner of cravings. Feeling good right now even though the scale isn't moving much. I can tell the difference in my clothes and jewelry. I did order an Atkins Journal from amazon to keep track of everything I eat. I could have used a regular journal, but it was a little luxury from me to me.

Thanks to everyone who participates in this site. Your successes (and even pitfalls) really inspire/help me.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #175
Junior LCF Member

Do you guys count total carbs or net carbs?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Total carbs. Atkins 72 counts total carbs, the net carb thing came along in later versions.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Now that we have DADR, DANDR & NANNY we realized that it's only NANNY preaching the net carbs so we missed reading about total carbs in DANDR.
So are oopsies allowed & are they really as easy to make as some of the recipes suggest? I don't have any parchment paper atm....
Old 01-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

They are super easy to make. I make them for my BF often. And they're actually really good. Fresh out of the oven with some butter melting on them, they taste just like a dinner roll. Of course, I haven't had any bread in 11 months, so my memory may be a little warped.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Is the recipe over at Linda's low carb the best/easiest one to follow?
Old 01-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #180
Junior LCF Member

What are oopsies and DANDR?
Closed Thread