Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #1141
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
Woke up to terrible muscle cramp in my leg, that I just couldn't rid of, this is why I have took potassium for years, and one potassium a day took care of it, now I'm taking 2 plus a slew of other things and had one of the worst ones I have experienced in a long time. Maybe my new vitamin regime(adding the d3 and magnesium) just hasn't had time to really make a difference yet???

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #1142
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /155 / 138 - 143
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Sorry to hear about your leg cramps. I suffered for months then I went to potassium, magnesium and Vit D and in two weeks they just stopped. I also find when I eat to light, I may get a cramp that night. I heard once that you can't overdo vitamins and minerals as any excess you try to put into your body gets sent to the bladder and out!! Some people will overload on Vit C but all they're doing is p***ing away their money.... LOL, literally!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #1143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: natosha120
Hey everyone. I got scared after a few days from salt water retaining and jumped off so back again lol today went well so far but hungry hungry .. I guess another thing scared about..
so far but may eat more cause still early
had 1.5 avocados
2 drumsticks grilled, 2 breasts grilled from groecery stoe prepared seasoned etc..
2 strips bacon
spinach 3 cups
2 eggs hormone free
slice cheese sargento new cheddar blend
and tea with splenda 3 cups
Plenty of water as well

I guess just fear cause get hungry every 4 hours can hold off till but its like 3 ate dinner and that felt light guess cause don't feel as full with the size meat and food.. However I wanted to watch show tonight and guess just scared if get hungry later that I'll be eating close to 2000 calories.

I mean on fruit was eating 2400-2700 calories so i guess still low in cals and carbs way low but guess just fear have..plus have to remember salt will make me heavier since norm use to so low with fruit..

I guess just fearing that, like if Its wrong or not i mean i am near my weight goal and well I just don't want to go the wrong direction on scale.

what do you guys think?

ty
Old 04-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #1144
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Natosha, I'm not really following your post, but I think you're just worried about eating too much food. Right now, you should eat when you're hungry, stop when you're not. Period. Don't worry about calories. The longer you do this, the more your appetite will be curbed, and if you're just eating when you're hungry, you won't be eating as much.

Right now, focus on just cutting out your carbs. If you're doing the Atkins 72 induction, you should just be eating meat, eggs, cheese, and fats. That's it. No avocados and no spinach. Those aren't on induction for the 72 version. Also, you want to try and avoid meats that are prepared at the store, they often add things to them that include sugar. It's best if you can prepare the food at home yourself.

If you're near your goal weight, you may have to be very very strict to get the scale to move. The less we have to lose, the harder it can be to lose, but it will happen if you're patient and consistent.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
Old 04-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #1145
Major LCF Poster!

Everything that Mthergoos said!!!
I don't see any fats?? Make sure they are higher than your protein if you're following Atkins '72 and are you trying to keep carbs under 20 a day??
You might consider switching cheese slices to hard or blocks of cheese. The processed slices aren't good for us.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #1146
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
Sorry to hear about your leg cramps. I suffered for months then I went to potassium, magnesium and Vit D and in two weeks they just stopped. I also find when I eat to light, I may get a cramp that night. I heard once that you can't overdo vitamins and minerals as any excess you try to put into your body gets sent to the bladder and out!! Some people will overload on Vit C but all they're doing is p***ing away their money.... LOL, literally!!!
There are some vitamin/minerals that you can build a toxic level up in, vitamin d3 is one of them, and potassium too little or too much can kill you, messes with your heart,
But yup vitamin c too much can cause diarrhea but it's not harmful
Old 04-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #1147
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, that's interesting. Boy, talk about believing misinformation eh??? Yikes, and I was always told the opposite. Ugh, who do you trust nowadays? LOL. Thanks for the information..... very important!!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #1148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betterthanever
Stats: 265/206/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2014
Update on recipes: I tried MG's crispy chicken...yum yum!! Berta's idea of using Rev Rolls for French toast, also very good! Berta, I tried the bacon wrapped meatballs--ended up adding pork rinds cuz I didn't think they would hold together. I cooked them longer, cuz I prefer my bacon crispy. Didn't get as crispy as I would have liked, but they were tasty.

Bonny, vit D is fat soluble, so it WILL build up in your system if you take too much. But from what I have read, most people can easily take 2000 IUs.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #1149
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DlaneyLynn
Stats: 230/211/200
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: 4/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnPaleoGuy View Post
DlaneyLynn: did you try what Atkins suggests: psyllium? I'm surprised the BPC isn't helping move things along. We made some for my MIL once & she didn't make it through 1/2 cup before she was running to the bathroom
Are you having any of the loosely packed lettuce that Atkins suggests?
No psyllium, but I might add that to my shopping list. I have fibro which compounds the issue. I do eat the lettuce. I'm eating kale salads instead of lettuce salads this week to see how that goes. More carbs I know, but I'm ready to try adding in a few more each week. I had a 4 pound whoosh on the scale this morning. Yeah!
Your poor MIL! Did she ever trust you to drink bpc again?
Old 04-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #1150
Senior LCF Member

I am taking 5000 units of d3 right now, to get to toxic levels-according to what I read-you have to take 300,000 units in a day, or 40,000 a day over the course of months

I might not be on here much for awhile, going to try...but if I disappear you will know why. The house we bought closes tomorrow, woohoo, lots of work to do, actually insane amount, gonna be months before we get into it, but once we do, no more rent!!!!! Would like to still get on at least once a day!
Old 04-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #1151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michellewynos
Stats: 226/187/145
Start Date: Feb. 15, 2014
Need everyone's advice, please. Took my 9 year old son to the doctor the other day for his add check up. My son is chunky and weighs 128 lbs. he is 5 feet tall, also, but he is chunky. The doctor asked me how many carbs davyd was eating. I said I did not know, but that I was Atkins. The doctor then told me that I can put Davyd on Atkins. My question is.....should I? what about milk? doesn't he need that? what vitamins should I put him on? How long should I keep him in induction? He is all for it.....he sees what I eat everyday and he knows what is coming. But, he is only 9, so, I know he is not gonna last long. Plus, he goes to his dad's on the weekends, so, how do I make sure he eats properly there? any and all advice would be welcome!!!!

Feb 15, 2014....226
July 17, 2014.....187
Goal......145
Old 04-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #1152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Last10
Stats: 249/141/136
WOE: Primal, Intermittant M&E
Start Date: Mostly LC since 1999 when I joined LCF
Leg cramps: I recently purchased liquid magnesium from I herb because I read that it's easily absorbable. The other night I got a leg cramp. A few sprays, rubbed it in, whala! cramp gone. I heard it also helps with sleep.

Michelle, for your son, if it were me, I would not start with induction. I would get rid of bread, rice, other grains and candy, chips etc. and give him veggie and fruit carbs, more in the 75-100 range. Does he eat cheese? Yogurt? My son never drank milk, almond breeze or rice milk. Those might be calcium fortified, don't know. I would try going towards lower carb in steps. Getting rid of some of the bigger carb laden foods might be enough to have him drop some pounds.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #1153
Senior LCF Member

Last10, thanks for the words. The only problem with that is that he HATES veggies and the only fruit he likes is banana's, which is very high in carbs!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #1154
Senior LCF Member

This is my son in my new pic! Big boy, but not huge, but we are worried that he will continue to get heavier. he has commented in the past that he would like to lose weight.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #1155
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
What levels does the doctor suggest?
Old 04-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #1156
Senior LCF Member

Maybe if the veggies had cheese, butter, or some bacon on it he would learn to like it!

No he isn't huge and good for him wanting to take care of problem now, I wish I could of got in under control at a young age, although I remember being on diets at a young age, the ones I were on caused more damage than good.

And I agree just start getting rid of stuff..it's hard if he goes to a public school, how many kids take a porkchop as their lunch
Old 04-28-2014, 01:21 AM   #1157
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/122/130 BMI=20.9
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Good Monday Morning Everybody!!

Holy Hannah, we're almost done with April and that means I have only 4 more weeks of school left -- where does the time go??

Okay you all are gonna think I'm insane , but I lost another pound today and I have mixed emotions about it. (Never thought I'd say that in a ga-zillion years about not being super excited about weight loss...).

I was hoping I had found my CCLM (Critical Carb Level Maintenance) where I know approximately how many daily carbs I can have so I don't gain/lose weight any more. But I guess I need to keep working on upping the carbs... this is soooo scary!! This is the most difficult part of this entire journey -- finding the balance between daily kcals and carbs so that one does not gain weight. Anywho...

reptogirl -- Hope your leg cramps are gone! I started out doing 1 potassium and had the leg cramps then upped it to 2 and they are gone. Maybe you need to do 3?

Bonny-Jean -- You're correct about expelling the vitamins your body doesn't need. But that's only for water-soluble vitamins A D E & K -- now fat-soluble vitamins are another matter (vit C & all the B) they are stored in the liver and you can have toxic levels of them if you overdo them. One cannot eat enough foods rich in vitamins/minerals to get to toxic levels but you sure can pop the pills and get there. (My bachelor's degree is in food science and nutrition education Really!)

natosha -- to our LC WOE Party!!!
Ditto what MtherGoos said. If you're doing A '72 follow the plan as written for several weeks and you'll see results. Wishing you much success on your LC WOE journey!

Dlaney -- Congrats on the 4lbs lost!! I'm over here cheering you on!!

michelle -- I agree with last10. Cut out all of the processed and junk foods, let him eat clean foods and get more exercise. Heck, exercise with him! I wouldn't count carbs with him but just start with getting rid of all "carb crap = processed & junk". I betcha'll see some weight loss.

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a Diet,
It’s my Salvation, my KEY to being
Healthy, Happy and Thinner!”

Last edited by Just Jo; 04-28-2014 at 01:22 AM..
Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 AM   #1158
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ceb65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
Everything that Mthergoos said!!!
I don't see any fats?? Make sure they are higher than your protein if you're following Atkins '72 and are you trying to keep carbs under 20 a day??
You might consider switching cheese slices to hard or blocks of cheese. The processed slices aren't good for us.
I don't see the higher fat than protein in the Atkins'72 book? What I read in chapter 12 is that we should eat protein and fat in 60/40 proportions in which they usually occur together in nature, and some people don't like fat so it is OK to do a low-fat diet, but not a no-fat diet. This comes from paragraph 3.

When I started really reading and studying the the book and incorporating all that Dr. Atkins wrote, the weight started to drop faster than ever, I am down 18 pounds in 6 weeks! That is the fastest I have ever lost weight in my adult life! I do moderate fat, some days more some days less. This is the first time in 8 years that I feel that I can make it to goal-45lbs to go.

I think for those of you struggling to lose as I have these last 8 years (I'm 48 and going through menopause) Get the Atkins '72 book and take your time to really read the book from cover to cover. While some people may lose just fine on a higher fat, I think many who are struggling may want to try moderate fat and lower cals and portion control for a couple of weeks to see if that helps get the pounds dropping!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #1159
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Romy
Stats: 164/142.5/120-130
WOE: LC
Start Date: July1,2013
This morning I got up weighed myself and did not like that the scale moved upward. I have been doing LC my way but I guess my way is NO way. After reading this post and seeing MthrGoos and Just Jo stats, I decided to give the Atkins 72 a try. If I understand correctly, you only eat protein, fats and 2 cups total of leafy salad incl. cucumber and radishes with vinaigrette.

So this is what I am planning to eat for the whole week. (need to loose about 5 lbs by Sat. to fit into a dress that I bought one size too small. for a pre-mother's day party).

I will have the salads only if I am hungry. with olive oil and vine vinegar.

B- Eggs, sausages, bacon, coffee with cream-no sugar
L- Homemade chicken soup, with shredded chicken, chopped boiled egg and meatballs(no
breading., will add onion and celery for flavour but will remove before eating.
S- Chicken, fish, (Tilapia, salmon) steak, hamburgers

Is the above acceptable?

This morning I had - coffee with cream, egg and turkey sausage.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:23 AM   #1160
Senior LCF Member

Dlaney- OMGoodness!!!! 4 lbs!!!!! Party dance time for you!!! I am so super excited for you!!!!! Way to go!!!!

so, I was thinking, what if I did low carb, induction style, while he was home and then let him eat a regular lunch at school?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #1161
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellewynos View Post
Last10, thanks for the words. The only problem with that is that he HATES veggies and the only fruit he likes is banana's, which is very high in carbs!!!
Hi Michellewynos, I know how you are feeling, when my son was in grade school I worked full time and my parents watched my son, and pumped him full of garbage, candy, cookies and such, before I realized I had to do something he was a man's size 38 in 4th grade! And, they wear tight! He came home from school and said to me one day, "mom, I don't want to be the fat kid anymore." This broke my heart, still does, this makes me cry as I write.

So I took control, I told my parents if they ever fed him anything that I did not approve of, I would sell my home and move away and they would never see their grandson ever again! And I meant it. I always followed '72, but I went out and bought DNDR, because it was less restrictive. I started him on induction <20 carbs, made sure he took supplements, plus ate all the allowed cheeses and cream. He lost 25 in 2 months. I got alot of flack from family and friends because "you shouldn't put a child on a diet". Took him to his pediatric Dr. and do you know what he said? " whatever you are doing keep doing it" He lost a total of 50 pounds in 6 mos, kept it off and is now 23yrs old, over 6' tall and weigh's about 185. This was the best thing I ever did for him, and he thanks me all the time. As for my parents? They were afraid of me for years!

As for food, I was lucky, he liked salad, so I made him a chef salad for lunch and also bought a lot of low carb snacks, And made him low carb pizza and cookies. Most of the low carb brands I used are gone, but Netrition has a lot to choose from. Also after the first weeks I moved him to OWL and gave him berries and other low carb fruits. and kept his carbs at around 25-30 until he was at a normal weight.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #1162
Senior LCF Member

Michelle, I think low carb at home and school lunch is a great step in the right direction. Summer vacation is almost here. With cleaner food and exercise he'll do great I bet.

I only play a doctor on Days of our Lives.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #1163
Senior LCF Member

I went to a conference last week. Ate 2 chocolate chip cookies. Gained a pound. Really made me angry when I saw 153.6 on the scale. Highest in a couple years.

Put myself immediately on Induction! Down to 149.8 yesterday and today. Strict induction for me. Only add in is celery so that I can stick with this.

I can do this. Yes I can!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #1164
Senior LCF Member

Just Jo, maintenance is the most difficult part of this for me. You have done great and will quickly figure this out. I've been at my WW lifetime since June 2011. It's just in the last six months that I started messing around a bit with more 'treats' That just doesn't work for me. So I'm back a d won't fool myself that I can do 75-100 carbs and not gain weight, regardless of exercise, which I do 6-7 days a week.

Good luck! You've got this!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #1165
Senior LCF Member

ceb65- that is awesome about your son!!! Did you pack a salad for him to take to school? he does love salads!!!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #1166
Senior LCF Member

Ceb65 -that's great!!!!!grandparents do that, when I was a kid, mom didn't want me to have sugar but grandma wouldn't listen, now she lives with us, she went in nursing home in nov-managed to get some weight off our dog that she constantly fed, she came back in February and he has grown 2 notches in his collar-nothing works she will do whatever she wants to do, regardless...she can't stand it unless she is feeding something, in the meantime she is killing our dogs with sugar and grains and processed crap..grr
Old 04-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #1167
Senior LCF Member

As much as I post here I just now noticed that the thread is misspelled..
Old 04-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #1168
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellewynos View Post
ceb65- that is awesome about your son!!! Did you pack a salad for him to take to school? he does love salads!!!
I packed his lunch every day, that was also toward the end of school so he lost most of the weight in the summer, I also took him swimming and biking as much as I could. When he went back to school he said he felt like a new kid, because no one recognized him!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #1169
Senior LCF Member

That is awesome! I never even thought about salads.....was racking my brain trying to figure what to pack for him where he didn't look crazy eating....lol....like eggs and a pork chop!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #1170
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mogirlinnc
Stats: 198.5/171/135?
Start Date: back again - April 2014
Hi Friends!

It's been a few days since I've been here. I've been really struggling - probably shouldn't have stayed away. My weight keeps bouncing around the same number, and it is getting frustrating! Yesterday and today, I am back down to 171, but please can't I leave the 170s? UGH!!!

I've been doing super well with my carbs, but I hadn't been watching my fats as much. I've upped my fats some, and I think that is helping. It certainly keeps me full!

My stupid scale has not been giving me a straight answer, either. I'm weighing myself 6 to 7 times to get 2 numbers that agree. I just ordered a new one through amazon that has a 4.7 rating with over 8,000 reviews. It's got to be better than the one I have.

michellewynos - Sounds like you have gotten some really good advice from others. I agree that controlling what you can is the way to go. Your son may eventually think that school lunches taste bad once he gets use to real food. Off the top of my head, things to pack that wouldn't be too "weird" could be chicken legs or wings (might have to invest in some wetnaps!), salads as has been said, jerky, individual s-f jello cups, lettuce wraps (that might border on weird), wraps made with low carb tortillas. I'm sure there are tons more.

reptogirl - congrats on your new house! Been there, done that as far as putting the hard work into a house, but it is SO worth it. We are on the same amount of vit D. I've had my levels checked after a week at the beach, and my body just does not do a good job making it.

Last10 - I am going to have to look for that magnesium spray. My husband gets leg cramps (and very twitchy at night) when he is training for longer distance races. That sounds so handy to have in the night stand.

Betterthanever - I make oopsies with my hand blender. I use the whisk attachment for the egg whites, and I get them so they are stiff and not shiny. I use the regular attachment for the yolks. My last batch I did 3 T of mayo (Duke's is 0 carbs) and added about 1 T of butter. I also added an extra egg white to the whites. I got a better rise, and I really liked the taste.

Dlaney - Awesome loss!!!! I'm trying not to be jealous over here. LOL!

I hope all of you have a great rest of the day and evening.

Hugs!

Michele in NC
Closed Thread