Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 06:06 AM   #811
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 7/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by terilynn77 View Post
This weekend is going to be very hard for me. My mother in law is having all of us over for dinner on Saturday. The dinner is dumplings (which I don't like to begin with?!) She asked me to bring corn. Any suggestions of something I could bring so I'm not tempted? Deviled eggs maybe? Or maybe shrimp? Haven't had shrimp in a long time. My sister in law is very strict with eating clean - I've always heard her say that fat isn't what made her fat, it was sugar. So I am hoping she will be eating something other than dumplings with me!
Teri - we must have the same MIL hah! - all she ever serves is carbs! Then complains when I don't eat her food. I usually can eat the meat, if I take off the bread... My SIL almost always brings deviled eggs...maybe there is sugar in her mayo. But I always ask if I can bring the salad figuring I can look like I fill my plate with that, even though I don't eat all of it.... Get with you SIL and possibly plan?

Will be thinking of your this Saturday, because Easter looms and I will be going through the same predicament.

A'72 believer

Julie

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #812
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terilynn77
Stats: 307/228/150
WOE: Atkins 72 ~ NK
Start Date: 2/10/14
Julie - haha...we must have the same! She will hopefully not get too upset about me not eating her food. If she does, well I guess I'll smooth things over later. I never thought about sugar being in mayo! I have been eating small amounts of mayo. I've been using Kraft Real Mayo and know there is a small amount in the ingredients but haven't been worried about that.

And ugh...yes Easter is right around the corner! My son is also bringing home worlds finest chocolate today from school....But I'm not going to be tempted! Hopefully!! We will need to push each other through!

Thanks!
Teri
Old 04-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #813
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
Just jo-I love how your twin turned 52 hahaha!!!

Mom still doing great up to 11.8 pounds lost, she said if she could drink the water she would really be losing(she was able to lose weight quick back in the day)
I weigh in again on Monday, so far my every 5 days is going okay, besides the temptation of wanting to constantly jump on scale
Old 04-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #814
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /155 / 138 - 143
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Has your mom tried MIO. It's wonderful. I never drank water my entire life until I tried MIO. I mean it's like any artificial sweetener but it sure makes the water go down easy. 0 cal and 0 carb.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #815
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betterthanever
Stats: 265/208/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2014
Bonny-Jean, what's MIO?
Just Jo, I have 1-2 drops of Stevia in 24oz of weak tea (one teabag) every morning, and a squirt of Sucralose in 16oz 2-3 times a day. Also, the corned beef I have is from the deli. I would not think any carbs in that would be a concern, considering how few carbs I'm consuming...would it? The corned beef is sliced thin, and it's just about 3"x4".

Last edited by betterthanever; 04-11-2014 at 06:25 PM..
Old 04-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #816
Senior LCF Member

Yeah we have tried Lots of stuff, she will drink unsweetened koolaid, since she has diabetes she couldn't have it with sugar, and she artificial sweeteners leave stuff to thick, even a small amount.yuck yuck
Old 04-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #817
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by terilynn77 View Post
Happy Friday everyone!!

I was reading more of the Dr. Atkins '72 book last night and found something very interesting. He said that if you are using an amphetamine to wait 2 weeks to start the diet. Then later he had almost an entire chapter of why this type of drug is bad. Not sure if phentermine is an amphetamine but I can't tell you how many times my doctor prescribed these to me. Anyone else try that on a doctor's suggestion? It's been years since I have tried it. And of course I lost a little weight while taking it, but as soon as soon as you stop you gain it all back plus more. I wonder why he doesn't want you to start this WOE for 2 weeks after taking it though? He doesn't ever really explain that.

Teri
Teri - I think his reasoning was that waiting 2 weeks would assure that all of the drug was out of your system.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #818
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Reptogirl - Congratulations to your Mom, she's doing great! I don't remember her age, but I think we're close in age, she's losing faster than I am. I'm ok with that, not complaining, just stating a fact!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #819
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=Just Jo;16871860]
Good Friday Morning, Everybody!
Tweaker Geek [/u] -- Congrats on the 2lbs!!! I’m a daily weigher too -- can’t help myself. And I know you’ll see those 2 lbs down by Monday -- I’m cheering you on!!

Thanks Jo - down another pound today! Weekend upon us, I'll stay strong!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 04-11-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Old 04-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #820
Senior LCF Member

Thanks tweaker, she will be 64 next week, we are doing hardcore
Meat, eggs(with mayo and mustard), pork rinds , olives, cheese(but not daily) and lots of diet rootbeer
Neither one of us is eating much at all, we definitely have a decrease of appetite
Old 04-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #821
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanever View Post
Bonny-Jean, what's MIO?
MIO is a flavoured 0 cal, 0 sugar, 0 carb sweetener. Many flavours and tastes wonderful. Water is still clean and crisp but just a nice taste so it helps to get your water in. I will not drink water without it. I think it's in the aisle with Crystal Light and stuff like that. A little plastic bottle you just squirt a little in your glass for around $3.50 but it lasts a long time.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #822
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baddabing
Stats: 205.6/169.2/140
Start Date: 1/27/2014
CdnPaleoGuy – I saw something on TV that said we might get a pink moon on the 15th.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #823
Senior LCF Member

MtherGoos

I got this reading up on low carb diets online.

It is also vital to understand that the driving force for weight-loss even under a ketogenic metabolism is in fact an energy deficit. Ketosis works so wonderfully for everyone because it blunts appetite and increases satiety and in so doing causes a natural energy deficit. Because of these qualities it may not be necessary for very obese individuals to keep track of energy intake but as you near lower body-fat percentages it might be helpful to keep track of energy intake and ensure that you are at a deficit in order to continue to lose weight.

If you are lazy you can enter your information into the Ketogenic Macro-Nutrient Calculator in order to find out exactly how many calories of each macro-nutrient you should eat per day. A more highly recommended procedure would be to calculate energy intake and macronutrient layout yourself.

Survive

Last edited by Baddabing; 04-11-2014 at 10:54 PM..
Old 04-12-2014, 03:14 AM   #824
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/122/130 BMI=20.9
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Bonny-Jean, what's MIO?
Just Jo, I have 1-2 drops of Stevia in 24oz of weak tea (one teabag) every morning, and a squirt of Sucralose in 16oz 2-3 times a day. Also, the corned beef I have is from the deli. I would not think any carbs in that would be a concern, considering how few carbs I'm consuming...would it? The corned beef is sliced thin, and it's just about 3"x4".
If you're losing weight, don't feel hungry or craving carbs then it shouldn't be a concern for you. I am so carb-intolerant, I have to count every blessed one of them...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”

Last edited by Just Jo; 04-12-2014 at 03:19 AM..
Old 04-12-2014, 03:27 AM   #825
Major LCF Poster!

[quote=Tweaker Geek;16872903]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post

Good Friday Morning, Everybody!
Tweaker Geek [/u] -- Congrats on the 2lbs!!! I’m a daily weigher too -- can’t help myself. And I know you’ll see those 2 lbs down by Monday -- I’m cheering you on!!

Thanks Jo - down another pound today! Weekend upon us, I'll stay strong!
AWESOME & CONGRATS about the another pound lost!! Weeeeeehoooooo!!

Every pound is one pound closer to your personal goal -- you are rockin' this!!

“This WOE is not a diet,
Old 04-12-2014, 03:40 AM   #826
Major LCF Poster!

CARBS in Fresh Turkey BREAST -- REALLY??

You would think that meat would be safe to eat on this WOE -- especially turkey. My DH does 99.9% of the grocery shopping - I HATE to shop (Our compromise: he shops, I clean house). He knows to check for carbs on any product he brings him if he expects me to eat it.

Yesterday he was so proud of himself. He brought home a fresh turkey breast (pre-packaged, not the frozen type). I have educated him well on checking for carbs on stuff, for some reason he didn't. This particular brand of turkey breast has 1 carb per oz. It's because they added a solution of (this is the order of ingredients): Turkey broth, Sugar and Salt plus flavorings to make it moist and tender. I was so sad because turkey breast is one of my favs... I would have been horribly upset if I had eaten it and LATER found out it had carbs... because who EATS only 1 oz of turkey??

My point -- CHECK those labels even on foods you normally buy, sometimes they switch up their recipes.

“This WOE is not a diet,
Old 04-12-2014, 04:33 AM   #827
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Baddabing, I know you addressed this to MG, but I'm going to give my 2 cents worth. Yes it is about energy balance (# of kcals you eat vs. # you expend). Here's the deal, we are each individuals if I ran 1 mile I may expend 200 kcals, you on the other hand may expend 300 even if we were the same weight etc. It isn't an exact science (it's more of a SWAG = Scientific Wild A$$ Guess) and since our body are individual (as we all know since we've been posting our menus, activity levels, weight losses etc) we expend kcals differently.

Every overweight person knows some thin person who eats just as much as he or she does and sits on the couch all day--- yet that person never gains weight. (I HATE THEM ). Personally, I think you'd drive yourself crazy balancing out your energy in vs. energy out, you don't need to do that with this WOE to be successful for you.

I want to know how many daily kcals & carbs I can have so that I don't gain or lose weight when I get lose my last 3 lbs.

“This WOE is not a diet,
Old 04-12-2014, 06:43 AM   #828
Major LCF Poster!

betterthanever You are brave to eat anything from the deli. I love deli meat and miss it. One of my fav's is Mock Chicken (which most people hate I hear) LOL. Just my two cents but I'd be concerned that corned beef (yum)
is full of preservatives, nitrates, sodium, carbs. The whole "curing" process has hidden carbs. Some are more sensitive than others to this and it may have no effect on you at all. Please let me know if you feel it had any bearing on your scale.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #829
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Every overweight person knows some thin person who eats just as much as he or she does and sits on the couch all day--- yet that person never gains weight. (I HATE THEM ).
DITTO!!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:11 AM   #830
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
DITTO!!
LOL Bonny But we HATE 'em RIGHT???

“This WOE is not a diet,

Last edited by Just Jo; 04-12-2014 at 07:14 AM..
Old 04-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #831
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It isn't an exact science (it's more of a SWAG = Scientific Wild A$$ Guess) and since our body are individual (as we all know since we've been posting our menus, activity levels, weight losses etc) we expend kcals differently.

Every overweight person knows some thin person who eats just as much as he or she does and sits on the couch all day--- yet that person never gains weight. (I HATE THEM ). Personally, I think you'd drive yourself crazy balancing out your energy in vs. energy out, you don't need to do that with this WOE to be successful for you.

I want to know how many daily kcals & carbs I can have so that I don't gain or lose weight when I get lose my last 3 lbs.
Baddabing I agree with Just Jo here I live this every time I go home to visit my sister has never been larger than a size 5 - we are the same height too! All my life I have struggled...exercised 2 hours a day...etc Just doesn't seem fair ...
I also read online that the exercise thing has not really been decided... see the eating adademy...

Just Jo/All Thanks for letting me vent...sorry crazy woman with tom...
I gained a pound over the last 2 days
today down 1.7 yahoo

Congrats on your lose Tweaker Geek

I've gotten stuck with those deli meats.... I just love a deli meat salad too.

Last edited by jblanken; 04-12-2014 at 07:30 AM..
Old 04-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #832
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I think if you have to eat the deli meats, or lunch meats, the Boars Head are some of the best to go with. As far as I can tell, they seem to have the least amount of "crap" in them.

James, thank you so much for the info! I know my calories typically average around 1200-1300 per day, and my carbs are as close to zero as possible. I hate to think I need to go lower than that to continue to lose, but maybe I do. I don't know. I thought adding exercise would give me a bigger calorie deficit and help me to lose, but it's brought my losses to a screeching halt! So I'm going to drop the exercise for now and see what happens.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
Old 04-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #833
Senior LCF Member

Hmm...here I thought deli meat would be less of a concern than prepackaged...because it's fresh. I'm not worried about the sodium or nitrates, but it IS frustrating to find carbs in meat!
Sucralose/Stevia--aren't those carb-free, if I use the liquid kind? I thought it was the dry sweetners that had carbs, because of the powder they are put in?

Question for all: I think I need a new scale--no, not because I'm not losing fast enough...lol...but if I shift my weight from one foot to the other, it moves as much as 5 lbs. Does that seem normal to you? It IS an ancient scale...reminds me of the ones in the produce department. It's spring-loaded and very old.
Anyway, do you have any recommendations for a scale? Anything I should look for, or watch out for? any place special to purchase one?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #834
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hmm...but if I shift my weight from one foot to the other, it moves as much as 5 lbs. Does that seem normal to you? It IS an ancient scale...reminds me of the ones in the produce department. It's spring-loaded and very old.
Anyway, do you have any recommendations for a scale? Anything I should look for, or watch out for? any place special to purchase one?
I use the Weight Watchers WW39N Digital Glass Scale. I did think, about a month ago, it was ready to go, but changed battery.. walla!
I did read the scale has to be on a balanced surface, if on a ceramic tile
floor, try not to have them unbalanced. (i.e., one tile higher or lower etc)
Good luck with the scale BTE
Old 04-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #835
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, finding a flat surface is gonna be a challenge, too. Bathroom and kitchen have ceramic tiles, definitely not an even surface. Hallway is a 100 year old wood floor...probably better than the tiles, but not perfect. Rest of the house is carpeted. Sigh.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #836
Senior LCF Member

I heard something the other day about ppl that can eat and eat and never gain, they could be gaining fat around their organs which is worst than having visible fat, so they might not be as lucky as we think.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #837
Senior LCF Member

Stevia/Sucralose--to reiterate my question, if I use the liquid form of these, are they not carb free?
Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #838
Senior LCF Member

Our receptionist is 21 and I do not think I have ever seen her eat anything that does not come out of a vending machine. She is always pulling up her size zero jeans. She is an aspiring model. I tell her just wait it will get you. She does not believe me.

Just jo – I would totally agree with you with this one exception. It works until it doesn’t work. Even Atkins said at some point you may have to drop caloric intake. I would find it and quote it but I am still just trying to wake up at this point.

Bonny-Jean – I felt the same about corned beef as you until I saw it specifically named in the book as ok. It so happened that grandma made some for my wife and it was just sitting in the fridge. I ate some and it did not affect me like I expected. I still don’t really like it though. Its like bacon on steroids!

MtherGoos – I’d say it a good plan. We shall see in a week or two. Wait until about day 3 you will feel so strong.

betterthanever – I think I spent around 30 bucks at wal mart for a digital scale that does a line moving thing and then displays your weight. Hardly ever will it give me a different weight if I re weigh. Its glass so it is not so obvious what it is at first glance. But it has to be on a hard surface. No carpet.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #839
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
LOL Bonny But we HATE 'em RIGHT???
With a passion!!
Old 04-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #840
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Stevia/Sucralose--to reiterate my question, if I use the liquid form of these, are they not carb free?
Hi. I've heard people say on these threads that the liquid is the lesser of two evils and I believe I read 0 carbs. I couldn't find any today as I was gonna switch as well but I also remember reading something about not eating/drinking anything that ends in "ose"?? Too much information sometimes. LOL.
Closed Thread