Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #751
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandy1
Stats: 165/158.6/149
WOE: A72
Start Date: February 1st 2014
Thanks Mthrgoos, I only found this thread yesterday and read the whole thing which is what inspired me to do the Atkins 72, also you have had an amazing success doing it...I do think you are right though, the closer you get to goal the harder it is, which is what I am finding right now lol.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #752
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PauletticusJ
Stats: 331.8/263.4/175
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/2/2014
Atkins = LOWER CHOLESTEROL!!!

For all those out there who worry that eating fatty meats, eggs, cheese, butter, real cream, mayo and other high fat foods will "raise" their cholesterol levels - I am living proof that is does the opposite.

I just back from my doctor and my total cholesterol dropped from 159 to 84!!! My LDL went from 83 to 41!!! And my triglycerides from 219 to 110!!!! (my HDL is still on the low side, but it always has been - I am hoping that more activity this summer will raise it above 39).

And BONUS -- my A1C blood sugar test went from 9.5 down to 6.5!!!!! My doctor is so proud of me She had me cut my cholesterol medication by half, and lowered my insulin by a couple units.

I am living proof that Atkins is the best way of eating for anyone with diabetes and high cholesterol. All this happened in just over 2 months!

In addition - I had just finished a fat fast on Sunday. I started at 317.4 and my weight yesterday showed a drop of .8 lbs (not as much as I was hoping for). But then this morning, when I was at the doctor, their scale showed that my weight was 314.4! That means I dropped 3 lbs since the start of my fast on Thursday. I did notice that I had to pee a lot this morning, so I must have been retaining H2O.

I am so proud of myself now. My resolve to start Atkins in February was the best thing I have ever done for my health. My blood sugars have not been this low since I was diagnosed with diabetes 7 years ago! My cholesterol readings are normal. My weight is dropping. And my blood pressure is a normal 129/72. I am a healthy unit. I hope that everyone out there has as good a health report as me!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #753
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
Congrats pauletticus!!!!! That's is quite impressive numbers for 2 months time, I am actually going to read your post to my mom--thanks so much for sharing!!!
Old 04-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #754
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baddabing
Stats: 205.6/169.2/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/27/2014
MtherGoos – Congrats to your BF that is amazing. Wonder if he can have younger lungs than his age?

Sandy1 – Welcome aboard. I post 72’ stuff here daily updates/monthly goals in the other. Also get frustrated when I see people that are frustrated but don’t follow this diet. That’s just me.

PauletticusJ – Great job. I have blood work from way back in the day. Eventually my doc will order a full workup. When he does I will compare.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #755
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 242lbs am 196 lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Hello all! Thank you for the wonderful thread. I lost weight simply and easily w/ A'72. This past year I had gained 20 lbs of the 60 I lost back and was looking at the new Atkins and thinking "why did they change it when it works so well?"
Fortunately I have just completed 19 days of clean induction and have gone from 208 to 191.2. Love, love, love Dr. A!!!! Thanks for the thread!!
Old 04-09-2014, 04:58 AM   #756
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Good Wednesday Morning Everyone!

Holy Hannah -- I was golden on my vacation to visit dd and ds-in law and boy were they amazed about how awesome I looked. They are both super supportive with this WOE. Although we did go out to eat numerous times (okay they ate, I drank ice tea or dt. Soda) I either ate before we went or when we came home. I was not tempted once to go off plan, I didn’t even give it a second thought. They are both healthy eaters, neither does much junk food. For example, my dd just got home from a business trip to NY city and had brought home a normal slice of authentic NY city cheesecake for her hubby and it was only about ½ eaten in the frig. I looked at her and said, “Really? Who only eats half a piece of cheesecake?” We both LOL. You see my “portion-control” issues???

My dd was totally amazed about how much more weight I had lost since seeing them at thanksgiving, I had lost 90 lbs (weighed 160 - which was pretty amazing too). But I’m 33lbs lighter than that now. She says to me, "so mama, what size are you wearing now?" I told her a 4/6. She says great cause she has some jeans she can’t fit into any more (she’s into 8/10 because of medication she is taking now). She’s always been my thin one…

oh MtherGoos, she took me shopping at that 3 story mall in Scottsdale (can’t remember the name) and she helped me pick out clothes -- we had such a great time. We also got those tanks you told me about earlier when we had the discussion on weight loss surgery. We logged in 20,000 steps which equals about 8.5 miles that day just at that mall!!!

reptogirl -- That’s so awesome that you have the desire (energy) to exercise. I love to exercise -- makes me feel energized. A plus to exercising is that you burn kcals, but it takes a lot of time exercising to burn a significant amount of kcals -- I always call it the “cherry on top” of this WOE.

Congrats on your 1st week on this WOE -- every successful minute, hour or day is one step closer to making your personal goal!!

About the diet root beer, I’d only give it up if you were having cravings for carbs or you thought it was causing you to stall. I drink my share of diet sodas…

betterthanever -- I am not going to lie to you, but I still think about food -- cause gosh darn it, I love to eat. Now instead of thinking about carb-laden foods, it’s that lovely piece of fish or chicken I am going to have later in the day with my big bowl of salad. I don’t know if I’ll ever stop thinking about food, I seem to be wired that way...

I love MG’s advice to you about cooking for the family. That’s what I do with my dh. I cook the protein that I can eat and I supplement what he likes for sides (mac & cheese, potatoes etc).

I’m glad you found us too!! It seems that MG and I are tweaking A’72 to work for us, yeah I hear you about some of the other “ppl” being a little intolerant of tweaking even almost militant-like -- but heck, she and I BOTH have the proof that our tweaking is working for us!! LOL We aren’t the only ones to figure out what works for us. But we surely are not going to tell you “do it our way or you won’t lose the weight” -- you have to do what will work for you!

I’m laughing at your comment about “And considering that between Jo and MG, one eats mostly protein and one eats mostly fat”..isn’t there a nursery rhyme about one eats no fat the other eats no lean? LOL Remember another difference is that MG doesn’t count kcals and she’s getting amazing results. Honestly some days I am craving pork rinds, and I’ll indulge but I weigh them out to see what the “damage” is -- I still say in my head “these are legal, legal, legal because I’m on an ultra-low carb diet, not a low kcal diet!”

CdnPaleoGuy -- Dude, no spoiler alerts on the Game of Thrones!! -- I don’t have cable so I haven’t seen the series, but the author is from my state and I just got the 5 book set on my kindle last week -- probably 1/3 of the way into the first book. Once I read the books and if I liked them, I will order the series on DVD. 

Sandy1 -- to our LC WOE Party!!!

PauletticusJ --
Congrats on your wonderful test results and weight loss!! You just confirmed what Bob Atkins stated 30+ years ago! Data don’t lie  I figure the more of us that lose the weight doing this LC WOE, the more doctors and nutritionists will realize what a true health benefit LC WOE is…

easwann -- Welcome to our LC WOE Party!!!
Congrats on your weight loss!!

IMO, they changed Atkins to…er…hmmm…sell their frozen and/or pre-packaged foods (new business model: let’s make money first then worry if people are actually losing weight???)… others will tell you differently… it’s also about the whole net carb vs. actual carb controversy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”
Old 04-09-2014, 04:59 AM   #757
Major LCF Poster!

Paulett thanks for sharing that is amazing, just goes to show that eating like this can't be bad for you, I know I have read it in books but it just brings it home when someone has a personal experience....thanks again..
Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #758
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
I'm thinking of moving over to Atkins '72 as well as I'm tiring of the arguing about all the different versions of Atkins. People ask for help and advice and then argue about the advice you shared with them. Maybe it would be better to stick with like minded people who are doing the exact same plan as I am??
Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #759
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
Start Date: 2/22/13
Good Morning!

Jo, I'm glad you had such a GREAT trip! Did you love our weather??? When I go to visit my daughters in Kansas, we always spend a good portion of the time shopping too. For the first time in my life, I ENJOY shopping! How do you like the tank tops? Nice to have you back, we missed you on here!

Paulette, Congrats on the great DR visit! Just one more proof positive case that this IS a healthy WOE.

Bonny, like James, I enjoy posting in both, but I totally understand what you're saying! Glad to have you here!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #760
Major LCF Poster!

Waving to you Bonnyjean....we could always post our weight on here as this is the plan we are doing...what do you think...
Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #761
Senior LCF Member

It was weigh in day, was down 5 more, for a total of 9, mom is slightly ahead of me @ 9.4 ...today starts day 11
Finally got a pork steak last night haha!
Old 04-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #762
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy1 View Post
Waving to you Bonnyjean....we could always post our weight on here as this is the plan we are doing...what do you think...
Good idea. We could always start "the challenge" here as well. Sorry about the rant, I'm just tired of having to explain that I'm on the '72 version when trying to help someone who's asking for input. Ugh.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #763
Major LCF Poster!

Bonnyjean....I do know what you mean....I only posted what I did so she wouldn't give up, but I am in agreement with you, its kind of why I wanted to move over here....
By the way I can't believe what your stalker is putting you through lol....I know its not funny....but it is really weird, when is she going to back off and leave you alone....strange woman isn't she.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #764
Senior LCF Member

Yay fresh blood on our forum!! we promise we won't hassle, stalk, or criticize your plan
Old 04-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #765
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy1 View Post
Bonnyjean....I do know what you mean....I only posted what I did so she wouldn't give up, but I am in agreement with you, its kind of why I wanted to move over here....
By the way I can't believe what your stalker is putting you through lol....I know its not funny....but it is really weird, when is she going to back off and leave you alone....strange woman isn't she.
ROGER THAT!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #766
Senior LCF Member

My stomach is acting weird today, I was just sitting here and then suddenly felt like I was going to vomit, went into bathroom just in case and it settled down, took shower and felt fine-actually had forgot about it, get out of shower come back and sit down and it started again. I don't know if it's my acid reflux(as long as I don't eat gluten it is controlled) but I went ahead and took a Zantac, maybe my vitamins just aren't sitting well on my stomach today. I did notice before that root beer seemed to make my acid reflux act up even when I was gluten free, but never to the point where I would get sick. When I ate gluten my acid reflux was terrible I would wake up throwing up and that was scary. Hopefully whatever it is works itself out, quickly. Ugh!

Justjo- I bet that was awesome being able to shock ppl with your weight loss! I look forward to the day ppl just open their mouth in awe! And congrats being in control away from home, you are rocking this way of life
Old 04-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #767
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF,EFGT
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 9/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauletticusJ View Post
Atkins = LOWER CHOLESTEROL!!!
I just back from my doctor and my total cholesterol dropped from 159 to 84!!! My LDL went from 83 to 41!!! And my triglycerides from 219 to 110!!!! (my HDL is still on the low side, but it always has been - I am hoping that more activity this summer will raise it above 39).

And BONUS -- my A1C blood sugar test went from 9.5 down to 6.5!!!!! My doctor is so proud of me She had me cut my cholesterol medication by half, and lowered my insulin by a couple units.
Wow Pauletticus that is amazing, congrats!! I am waiting a few months for insurance to pay and the numbers to be good..... This is so encouraging!!

Last edited by jblanken; 04-09-2014 at 12:15 PM..
Old 04-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #768
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptogirl View Post
My stomach is acting weird today, I was just sitting here and then suddenly felt like I was going to vomit, went into bathroom just in case and it settled down, took shower and felt fine-actually had forgot about it, get out of shower come back and sit down and it started again.
Have you had any salt today? I notice this happens to me sometimes in the morning... Just a thought.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #769
Senior LCF Member

No I haven't had any salt today, at that time I hadn't been up long and only had about a half a cup of coffee and some water-but I know I am eating salt everyday-hopefully it was just one of those random things :/
Old 04-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #770
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CdnPaleoGuy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2014
As I mentioned in the April thread, scale reports that I've creeped up to 258
No idea what the heck happened, will have to go back to tracking.
Bonny-Jean: you have a stalker? Here on the forums or at work or both?
Sandy1: I'm hoping for clear skies; don't remember seeing a blood moon before.
Just Jo: no worries, I have a hard enough time remembering the name of the characters so no spoilers from me.
PauletticusJ: congrats on the blood work; I'm not scheduled until next year for another medical. Will be interesting to see the changes
Old 04-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #771
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betterthanever
Stats: 265/190/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2014
So MG, you don't count calories. Do you track and have any idea how many you eat? And, would you give me a typical day's menu? I tried doing high fat, and had a rough time managing it. The protein always crept up.
[JustJo, that is so awesome that you did so well on your vacation! What do you say to make others feel comfortable, when you are only drinking soda while they are eating? My family is so worried that I'm not eating enough. I tell them I am, but if I did not eat when we went out...well, that would be so strange for them. I am still having a hard time when I have to eat with others. I definitely eat more than I would if I was at home eating on my meal plan. I'm staying low carb, just eating more than I would like to. I guess I will always be a compulsive overeater, and I have to be aware of that every day and steel myself against it. I've avoided church dinners a couple times now, because I didn't want to just sit there not eating while everyone else was eating. Do you have any suggestions on how to cope? I guess *I* am the one who needs to figure out how *I* feel, not eating while others are. I keep saying "It's just for now," but truthfully I know I will always have/want to eat differently than most of those I'm around.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #772
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Better, I don't count calories, but I know that I average around 1200-1400 per day. Since my menu is basically the same every day, I know that it's right around there. Just speaking for myself, I don't usually have a problem when we go out to eat. I can usually get a steak just about anywhere, or bacon and eggs. Those are just about the only things I really trust eating out. I'm afraid that if I get chicken, it will have been injected with sugar water to plump it up, and I'm afraid that hamburger will have filler added to it. However if we do end up someplace that I really feel like I can't get anything safe to eat, then I just won't. I can have a diet coke and be totally happy knowing that I'm staying on plan and I'll eat later. If somebody that I'm with feels uncomfortable with it, quite honestly that's on them, not me. I refuse to eat food that I shouldn't just so that somebody else doesn't feel guilty about the food that they are eating. I can enjoy the meal as a social event without having to eat food that I really don't want.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #773
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnPaleoGuy View Post
Bonny-Jean: you have a stalker? Here on the forums or at work or both?
LOL. Co-worker that turned out to be a neighbor as well. YIKES!! She's became my shadow a year ago and copies everything I do, at work and at home. When I started working at a different building, she started following me out for smokes but she DIDN'T smoke??? Then she started smoking again.
I replaced my shingles and painted all the trim on my house and 2 months later she did exactly the same thing. I re-mortgaged, she re-mortgaged. I bought that new car and 1 wk after I got it she went and bought the EXACT SAME car although she tells everybody it's not the same cause she bought a sedan not a convertible...... and so on and so on!!!!! So she has lovingly been called my "stalker chic".
Old 04-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #774
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanever View Post
The protein always crept up.
I found the same problem in the beginning and started buying meats high in fat so I didn't have to add additional fats to foods. I still cook in coconut oil though.
The meats I find the fattiest are:
Chicken: thighs, wings
Beef: rib-eye, prime rib.... any heavily marbled cuts
Pork: sf bacon, butt steaks, back ribs, well most pork is okay! LOL.
Eggs: anyway!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #775
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ribeye! That's my favorite, I could eat it every night! I use a lot of coconut oil too. It's such a great way to get fat in! I like to make chicken thighs too, and I'll coat them in oil and bake them until the skin is super crispy, then I mostly just eat the skin and let the dogs have the meat.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #776
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Ribeye! That's my favorite, I could eat it every night! I use a lot of coconut oil too. It's such a great way to get fat in! I like to make chicken thighs too, and I'll coat them in oil and bake them until the skin is super crispy, then I mostly just eat the skin and let the dogs have the meat.
I've heard you say that before. How do you not starve to death??? You eat eggs and the fat from meat??? I'd be biting people's arms if I didn't get a good feed of meat at least once a day!! LOL.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #777
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lol Bonny! Honestly, I'm almost never hungry. Most of the time I'm eating just because I like to eat. And my dogs are VERY happy pitties!
Old 04-10-2014, 04:29 AM   #778
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Good Thursday Morning, Everybody!

Bonny to the LC WOE Party! LC WOE is so personalized that there is NO right way to do it -- EXCEPT for the way that works for you and gets you the results you want!

I know some people try to imitate the high carb foods they miss most and create low carb versions. I haven’t even been tempted; it would probably make me crave the real things.

Wow stalkers in here?? Sorry about your real stalker, did you take legal action?

Sandy Hey what’s this challenge thingy you and Bonny are cooking up?? LOL

MtherGoos OM Gosh, your weather was lovely! But I hear you are all in for the 100s soon, very soon… The tanks are amazing -- and tanks, er….I mean THANKS for sharing that bit of info with me!!  It’s good to be back among my fellow LCers!!

reptogirl CONGRATS on the -5# !! You are really rockin’ this thing! **Doing the happy-happy dance for you!!**
I hope u are feeling better today! Thanks for the “rockin’ this WOL thingy”! It’s interesting the reaction I get from people.

I have one gal at work that is trying to sabotage me -- she always saying things like haven’t you lost enough weight? Come on have a small piece of ___________ (carb laden poison) it’s not going to hurt you. How can eating one time a day be healthy? And on and on and on… she’s no light weight herself. I think she’s jealous LOL

CdnPaleoGuy Thanks for not spoiling it for me. I just finished the part in the book where Bran wakes up after being thrown off the tower by the evil twin brother… gosh you’re right about all the characters. But so far, OM Gosh, it’s a great read!!!

Better I don’t worry overmuch (aka AT ALL) about making people feel comfortable about my WOE -- why should I?

I personally avoid eating situations outside the home -- I am a little paranoid now about what’s in my food and can I trust someone else fixing it?? I can’t take the risk that there’s some hidden carb so I drink when people eat. I see that MG and I are of the same mind! The people I hang out with or go eat out with, understand that and honestly, I don’t give a rat’s ass if they don’t. LOL

I usually eat before we go out, or wait until I go back home to eat. It’s really okay to say, "I’m not really hungry or I had a late lunch" if you need an excuse, but I don’t need one.

I too am a compulsive overeater and I have portion-control issues… hence the weight issues my entire life.

Wishing all of US continued SUCCESS on our personal LC WOE journey today!! See you tomorrow!

Jo =]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”
Old 04-10-2014, 04:49 AM   #779
Major LCF Poster!

up .2 today

I had one tsp of n'joy creamer (ran out of the HWC) in my coffee...
Also had more salad and extra seasoning on my hamburger for dinner.
Montreal steak seasoning - there maybe hidden carbs...?
Taking all that away today...
Trying a fish day...

Keepin fingers/toes crossed for all our loses!

JustJo - how rude this woman at work is... I never understood people like
this...
Old 04-10-2014, 04:51 AM   #780
Major LCF Poster!

JustJo: thanks for the welcome, dear. No stalkers online, just a co-worker who is also a neighbour!! Pathetic really. Unfortunately we can't sue for much here in Canada and being a copy cat wouldn't be grounds.

On the Induction thread there's a monthly challenge where we do a daily weigh in and discuss same. It really works for lots of us being accountable on a daily basis plus we get to b.s. with each other as well.
Closed Thread