Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #571
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
KISS is best. If you stick to the plan it will work. If you really tried then you could try the fat fast. But if you can lose on induction then there is no need to go that drastic.

I'm a bit worried about my upcoming trip. I'll be going to Indonesia for a couple of weeks and I plan on eating mostly meats but I'll be at the mercy of the vendors there. When I'm there I have no desire to eat American food. I want to stick to the traditional dishes so I expect the scale to go up a couple of pounds so I'm going to try not to fret.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #572
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baddabing
Stats: 205.6/169.2/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/27/2014
I love traveling the world! I refuse to eat anything but traditional dishes when I am out. It paid off well at Grand Turks. Best Ox Tail and Conch I have ever had.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:56 AM   #573
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/122/130 BMI=20.9
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Good Friday Morning Everyone!

MG -- I am only stating the facts!
Anywho -- got a question for you. I lurk on another Low Carb site as well as this one and some gal was mentioning that on A'72 you have to eat nutrients in these proportions:
70-80% calories from fat, 4% from carbs, and the remainder from protein. I've never heard such a thing and I've been doing A '72 forrrrevvvvver... Have you?

Baddabing -- @ "Fat Jo" and moving to Jersey.

Hey James, let us know how your research goes about Atkins. I'd love to hear it.

I agree completely about the following this WOE to a T before making adjustments. Unlike other WOE, you can't cheat even a little or you'd stall, crave those carbs or gain weight -- and it takes no time at ALL to gain the weight back... (been there -- done that -- have the 3XL T-shirt to prove it!!)

Debbie -- there is a huge learning curve with this WOE, the more you learn the better you are prepared to find those hidden carbs. Even things that say low carb or zero carb can have affects on our ability to lose the weight -- a huge one for me are sugar-free gums, candies and mints because they contain sugar alcohols.

Sugar alcohols are a type of carbohydrates called "polyols". Part of their chemical structure resembles sugar, and part of it resembles alcohol -- hence the confusing name. Examples of common sugar alcohols are maltitol, sorbitol, isomalt, and xylitol.

And don't get me started on the whole net carb thing...

Emerald -- Indonesia how cool!! I like your plan about eating mostly meats. But since you are prepared to see the scale creep up a bit you're not going in blind and that's an awesome attitude. You may be surprised and see no weight gain or even some loss. So I'm staying positive for you. and I also agree about keeping it simple with this WOE.

Have a great rest of the day -- see you tomorrow, everybody!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”

Last edited by Just Jo; 03-28-2014 at 01:58 AM..
Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 AM   #574
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Jo, that sounds more like nutritional ketosis than Atkins 72. I don't remember Dr Atkins putting so much emphasis on high fat.

Emerald, I would just enjoy the trip, do the best you can, and not let worrying about the food get in your way. Have fun!

Debbie, how are you doing today?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #575
Senior LCF Member

Morning all. I read some more but not as much as I would have liked but the wife went to bed early and I did not want a 100 watt bulb glaring her awake. So far it has been more of the same where he is selling the diet but one thing stood out as interesting and important.

He stated, and this may not be exact, that if you stuck to 10 carbs and ate 1500 calories you would loose faster than if you stayed at 10 carbs and ate 2000 calories if all things are equal BUT if you did 2000 calories and dropped that carbs your loss would be greater.

I plan on reading more during lunch if the work life permits.

Survive
Old 03-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #576
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
Im doing good . I wrote this long post and lost it so here goes again. I am down 2 pds I was up so that is good just not a new low yet. Yesterday I ate one meal but not planned that way. I guess the beauty of low carb though. I went to pick up my 82 year old mom yesterday to take her shopping and she came down her steps and took about 2 steps on the grass and took a total nose dive. She fell flat on her face. I took her to the hospital to make sure there was nothing wrong. She was ok just looks black and blue on her nose and forehead. So by the time I got home it was dinner time. All night long I kept waking up seeing her fall and it breaks my heart. I realize I wont have her forever but I dont know how to live without my mom and the thought of not having her horrifes me.
I had 2 eggs and 3 bacon this morning at my moms, I cooked her breakfast. For dinner I had 2 turkey burger with mustard. I hope to be down tomorrow.

weight 257/235/130
Old 03-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #577
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
Hi everyone- I am planning on starting 72 here within next day or two. I know we have the original book somewhere,I was on it once as a teenager but kept cheating-so no one but myself to blame over the past few years I have done low calorie, stillmans, Juddd, other forms of IF , and I know the problem is with me, I am just inpatient and I have this mental block with the number 300, something I want to get under so bad, I get close and then blow it. Anyways I just wanted to say hi and do a brief intro-and I had one question I'm sure it has been asked and answered, I just haven't read every post but I'm working on it pork rinds-can I have on induction? And are you only supposed to be on induction for a week?
Old 03-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #578
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome ReptoGirl! Yes, pork rinds are find on induction, and you can stay on induction for as long as you like. I've been on induction for over a year, and I know Jo has been on for quite a while too.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #579
Blabbermouth!!!

Pork rinds are my salvation. I make a dip with mostly mayo and a little sour cream and some spices for when I have the munchies. Admittedly it's not that often but it's nice to have the option. Or as a sweet treat. Melt butter, add sweetener of choice some pour over pork rinds mix well and sprinkle cinnamon on top.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #580
Senior LCF Member

Awesome-that will help a lot! I went over to the Atkins induction threads, but they are for the most part not following 72. I thought of another question.... I am a coffee drinker by that I mean I like a little coffee with my flavored liquid creamer..can I use the sugar free creamers or not, I know I can have 4 tsp of real cream a day....I know I would be better off without it, a lot of things just weren't around back in 72

Btw-mthergoos your stats are amazing!!!!!! Time to get back to reading and finding more motivation!!!!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #581
Major LCF Poster!

My BF does use the sugar free creamers and has lost 70 pounds, but I do try to keep his creamer limited. LOL And sometimes when he finds that he's stalled, he'll cut down on the creamer and it will get things moving again. So you'll have to find what works for you and see how you do with it, but I would limit it as much as you can.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #582
Senior LCF Member

Yeah I am going to try just black coffee, now kcups like blueberry or vanilla etc, could I have those? I figure eventually I can handle plain coffee!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #583
Blabbermouth!!!

I can handle coffee without sweetener but black without coconut oil or cream is a no-go for me.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #584
Blabbermouth!!!

I always worry about flavoured coffee - that they may contain sugar.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #585
Senior LCF Member

Debrat3 – I can say that I have met many people in their 110+ who were walking talking hearing and seeing until the day they died. One would tell me stories about the 1915’s all the time. I think the key is to make sure she get therapy as soon as you see a decline in an ability. Once you lose it, it will probably be gone. Hope she recovers well.

reptogirl – Welcome. In case you don’t know there is a very active group in the induction side. Monthly challenges. Daily updates keep you honest and motivated. Also I use the rinds with tuna salad, get the protein and the fat. And if you have questions as to what you can do i.e. the creamer I would say go clean then add when you know what your normal weight loss is after the first week, or two for me, because that’s when the weight loss is greatest. I keep Diet Coke in business bit I also know I lose the same on and off of it.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #586
Blabbermouth!!!

It was my moms birthday yesterday and she turned 67. It seems so old to me and that in 3 years she will be 70. It made me sad to realize that someday I'll be without my mom. To make matters worse she lives thousands of miles away. (I moved to a warmer climate)
Old 03-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #587
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all!! Been so helpful already and I haven't even started yet! My mom plans on going on it with me, she always had success with this version of Atkins years ago, and stillmans, this summer we have a family reunion, and we just figure any weight we take off will help us enjoy it more. My stats and tracker aren't correct right now, I will weigh myself the day we start(just gotta get to store) but I guess I am in the 330s :/ I would love nothing more than getting under that 300 mark by middle of July...maybe that is too unrealistic ???
Old 03-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #588
Blabbermouth!!!

If you stick to Induction and don't cheat or waver there is a very GOOD chance you could lose 30 plus pounds by then.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:55 PM   #589
Senior LCF Member

I just read on another page that u can't have spinach ? I figured it was about as green and leafy as you can get....did someone mess up or should I avoid it
Old 03-29-2014, 05:18 AM   #590
Major LCF Poster!

Good Saturday Morning Everybody!!

MtherGoos -- That's what I thought MG, thanks! I'll be on my way to your beautiful state this time next Saturday to visit dd and her dh. Can't wait.

Baddabing -- He never really puts a lot of emphasis on number of kcals, but he makes a point of saying that when you decrease your carbs, you start getting less hungry and the less hungry you are the less kcals you will consume. Eat when you hungry, don't eat if you're not.

I lost all my weight by doing just what you mentioned. I started off at an average of 750 kcals with 6 grams of carb (July 5 to Dec 31). I lost 100 lbs by 23 Dec Then increased my daily kcals to 50 each week. I am up to an average of 1000-1200 and still 6 grams of carb and have lost 21 lbs between Dec 23 and Mar 17. I increased my carbs to 8 on Monday.

HOLY HANNAH -- I wonder if I have truly found my "sweet spot"??? (aka CCLM -- the balance between # of kals & carbs where I don't gain/lose weight) since I haven't lost anything in almost 2 weeks? Wouldn't that be terrific??

Debrat3 -- Sorry to hear about your mom and I am so glad she is okay. My mom past away 13 years ago -- I miss her terribly ...moving on...

Good job on losing the 2# that is awesome and eating like a A'72 pro!! You will see results!!

reptogirl -- to our WOE Party!!

Monday, 31 March will be week 39 since I've been on Induction Week 1 of A'72. I don't do more than 6-8 carbs daily (1100-1200 kcals) and I just upped the carbs to 8 on Monday.

Pork rinds are soooo legal on A'72. The only problem I have with them is they are high in salt and I retain water weight (up to 2 or 3 lbs) if I overindulge. So I limit mine to 1-2 oz several times a week.

Some people have problems with coffee and dt soda. I have no problem with either on this WOE. Since I also watch my kcal intake, I switched to International Delight Sugar free coffee Creamer which has 1 gram of carb per T and only 20 kcals. And I love the Davinci Sugar-free Syrups ZERO carbs or kcals (neither of which makes me stall or gain weight which is the BIG +).

About realistic on unrealistic weight loss goals. I suggest 10 lbs a month and you'll be amazed how each month you'll reach goal - IF you follow religiously this WOE!! On average I lost 3.3 lbs a week.

Spinach, raw = 30g (28.35g = 1 oz) 1 carb and 7 kcals -- I think the biggest thing with salad greens is what you dress it with. Be leary of those.

I personally love the bag 'o salads -- no excuse not to eat since you just pour and serve LOL!!

Emerald -- I like you comment about "I always worry about flavored coffee -- they may contain sugar." I am sooo glad I am not the only one that is suspicious of some food products -- I really am getting a little paranoid about it but that's a topic for another day...

Well I've add my 2 cents worth for today -- wishing everyone a successful LC WOE Saturday, see you tomorrow!

“This WOE is not a diet,
Old 03-29-2014, 06:08 AM   #591
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jacki
Stats: 227/197/127
Start Date: January 2013
Hi everyone! I've been lurking and enjoying your lessons in life and A'72!! While I slipped off the plan I watched what I are and am down 5 in 18 days . I am encouraged by you all and would like to get a recipe book for A'72 so I can do what must be done - preparation!! Do you have any suggestions??
XO Jacki
Old 03-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #592
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
Hi everyone! I've been lurking and enjoying your lessons in life and A'72!! While I slipped off the plan I watched what I are and am down 5 in 18 days . I am encouraged by you all and would like to get a recipe book for A'72 so I can do what must be done - preparation!! Do you have any suggestions??
XO Jacki
Jacki -- congrats on the 5#, 5 lbs closer to your goal AWESOME! I know there's an accompanying cookbook out there, I had one years ago when it first came out. Did you try amazon, they have everything.

I don't go to that much trouble to eat any more, just a salad and protein pretty much comprises my daily meal -- as cliché as it sounds, I'm "Eating to Live not Living to Eat", the reverse use to be my motto. LOL

Wishing you much success on your LC WOE journey!!

“This WOE is not a diet,
Old 03-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #593
Senior LCF Member

Thanks justjo
And let me say that's some impressive weight loss!

My salad will be legal, spinach and mayo-might add meat occasionally

I was kinda amazed at all the things some people put on their salad, i am hoping to keep it clean and simple, even going to attempt black coffee instead just because I know I am not going to be happy with a little cream.

About the cheeses-I should avoid shredded ? I live in small town i don't see much natural cheese with rind around, hoping just kraft block cheese etc will be fine, said hard cheese but I see people eating cottage cheese on induction-is that cool? Won't be for me, cottage cheese is a binge food for me so I have to avoid it, I can't get enough, but my mom wanted some but I got confused over hard cheese. I really wish I knew where are book is. Maybe goodwill will have one.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #594
Major LCF Poster!

Reptogirl, I would definitely avoid the bags of shredded cheese. They add "stuff" to them to keep the cheese from sticking together. Just buy a block of cheese and shred it yourself and keep it in a bowl or bag in the refrig. I buy the Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, but I think Kraft would be just as good. I just buy the sharpest kind I can buy. Personally, I would definitely avoid cottage cheese during induction and add it back in later.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #595
Senior LCF Member

Awesome!! I will have to use up the cheese we have first, just bc it's too expensive not too lol, I have never heard of tillamook-guessing they don't have it round these parts. I went ahead and got my starting weight, this time around I am not going to weigh daily because I always let the scale dictate how I feel. I am going to start a journal on here again, so I can keep track of food and so I can ramble and vent my weight was right where I figured it was 333.2
Old 03-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #596
Senior LCF Member

You will be able to find the book on Amazon ranging from a few bucks to 20ish. Also I believe Wal-Mart carries the recommend cheese. I also buy that one mainly because I think its the only extra sharp on the shelf. I suspect block cheese that was not in that weird cheese in the foil that the government gave poor kids like me to eat and make sure I never sat on a toilet again was not a available as it is today. I guess you do have to translate just a smidge when following this book specifically.

I have spent all day in my closet minus a few breaks to take care of the boys etc. Almost ALL of my summer stuff fits. My wife was at JCPenny last year before one of our cruises and saw they had a sale of shorts for a buck. These were like dockers etc. I was a 38 she said she found like 15 pair. I told her to buy all in 36 as well which she did. As long as the belt it tight I should be able to sport them but since I am a 34 and falling I may net get to wear many of them for long I suspect. That is kind of a shame. Should have had her pick up some 34's too.

Ohh and I found my body fat handle thingy so I can incorporate that in my tracking, even if I am not sure of its accuracy it can be a tool to ensure I am keeping my muscle mass.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #597
Major LCF Poster!

Wow James! You're really rocking it!! Don't you love going through the closet and finding new things that fit???? I don't think there is a single thing in my closet that was there when I started.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #598
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michellewynos
Stats: 226/187/145
Start Date: Feb. 15, 2014
Oh My Goodness!!! So many new people!!! Way to go!!! Excited to hear all of your stories and success stories!!!!
Well, after 2 weeks, I have FINALLY got back down to 205!!! Took longer this time around to do it, but i got there again!!! Now I am a little worried about reaching my 199 mini goal, but still hopeful!!! Now I have 7 days to lose 6 lbs......lol, a girl can dream!!! Really not discouraged, cause I know I will eventually reach my goal. And honestly, I have no problem eating low carbs!!! Everyday I eat almost the exact same thing.....
Breakfast: 3 eggs and american cheese
Lunch: Shaved ham and provolone cheese
Dinner: Hamburger and american cheese with 2 tsp of mayo
Snack: lol, usually nothing because I am full, but I have found my sfj and hwc mix!! So, if I do have a snack, it will be about 1/2 cup of "heaven"

Lol, been eating this way for almost 2 months and still am not sick of it. I used to eat salad for lunch, but it really slowed my weight loss, so, gave that up for awhile. I have never been a "food" person, but I was a junk food person. I used to eat basically nothing but sweets.....although I would only eat one meal a day, I ate prolly 5 sweets a day. I still crave my sweets, hence the sfj&hwc.....but, I have learned to control my sweet tooth, so, i am very proud of that!!!
Old 03-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #599
Senior LCF Member

The biggest part of this diet that I like is that I dont really have to give it a lot of thought. That is until I go out to eat then its a different story so I dont, unless i have to.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #600
Senior LCF Member

Getting to the point where I can actually see my end game so changed my pic to reflect what I want in a shorter 5'3" version, thanks god!
Closed Thread