Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrat3 View Post
I just finished my first week of going back to atkins 72 and I lost 7 pounds. I have always lost 5 on induction so I was quite thrilled. I wonder if a person didn't add in additional veggies if the weight would move off faster? I love 72. I was using wayyy too much cream in my coffee and I was just going to give it up and decided to use the 4 tsp. he said was allowed. Its been an adjustment but the payoff has been good.
I think of the few things I'm giving up this week, cream is the thing I miss the most for now! I save mine for my afternoon coffee. Good job on the weight loss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer View Post
Great thread. As I have never posted in the '72 section of LCF. I am a strict '72 induction person after reading all the post. Lots of good info here. I do not have the '72 edition, only the DANR. Going to pick up the '72 today. I have been following basically the '72 induction for 3 weeks straight now. I have lost 20 pounds in those 21 days.
I want what you're having! That's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaGetz View Post
I too am very grateful for this thread, finding it extremely helpful and educational.
Nice to see more people joining in here.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
This is my 2nd full day back on 72 Induction, also TOM so Ugghh. I will keep you posted. This morning had lost .2lb

11/11/13
B - Cheesy Bacon Quiche, coffee w/2tsp HWC
L - 3oz cooked ground beef over 1c romaine and LC gravy
D - Cobb salad w/3oz ribeye (no croutons), 2tbs Mayo
Old 11-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 274/274/190
WOE: Normal old atkins
Start Date: 10/21/13
Mjgh06: So happy that I do not have a TOM. But you lost anyway. And that is a great thing. So glad you started this thread so I could just jump back into basic induction. Keep me posted on your progress.

I have been tinkering with my plan trying to get max results for the effort I am putting in. But just going to go back to full on '72 till the weekend and then Monday (after a few beers) right back to induction through thanksgiving and into Christmas. That will give me a solid 6 weeks straight on plan I believe. Just hope no more hunting trips to derail me.

"STAY HEALTHY MY FRIENDS"

GOALS:
1. Keep on plan
2. Stay on plan
3. Work out
4. Run a 1/2 marathon on Jan. 19th!!!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Hunting GOOD...just don't derail doing it..lol.

So does anyone know of any books I may be missing from Atkins? Here's what I have read:
The four Main Atkins Diets:
NANY - New Atkins for a New You;
DANDR - Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution;
DADR - Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution;
and the 1968 version Atkins Nutritional Diet before book publishing(I got a copy of this from a friend of my mom).

Then there are the other versions made for specifics:
Atkins for Life;
Atkins Diabetic Revolution;
Atkins Super Energy Diet;
Atkins Health Revolution;
Atkins Nutrition Breakthrough;
Atkins Age-Defying Diet;
Essential Atkins for Life.

Okay today my meals on Induction: not very hungry.
L - 3oz cooked ground beef over 1c romaine and 1tbs mayo
D - 3oz cooked ground beef over 1c romaine and LC gravy

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."Henry Ford

My Weight Journal ~MissyDee~

Last edited by mjgh06; 11-12-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Old 11-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
Hunting GOOD...just don't derail doing it..lol.

So does anyone know of any books I may be missing from Atkins? Here's what I have read:
The four Main Atkins Diets:
NANY - New Atkins for a New You;
DANDR - Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution;
DADR - Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution;
and the 1968 version Atkins Nutritional Diet before book publishing(I got a copy of this from a friend of my mom).

Then there are the other versions made for specifics:
Atkins for Life;
Atkins Diabetic Revolution;
Atkins Super Energy Diet;
Atkins Health Revolution;
Atkins Nutrition Breakthrough;
Atkins Age-Defying Diet;
Essential Atkins for Life.

Okay today my meals on Induction: not very hungry.
L - 3oz cooked ground beef over 1c romaine and 1tbs mayo
D - 3oz cooked ground beef over 1c romaine and LC gravy
Girl, I think you have all the ATkins books listed here! LOL! Your menu looks really good too!

I don't get very hungry now either since I have been sticking to the induction level carbs. I have added in that 5-8 grams for about a week, and I had a hard time eating it all! So most days I stay on induction levels.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:23 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

3rd full day back on 72 Induction, also TOM.
1st day 72 Loss - .2
2nd day loss - .6
3rd day loss - 1.6

11/13/13
B - two fried eggs, two slices bacon, coffee w/2tsp HWC
L - 1 can tuna drained over 1c romaine with cucumber slices and 1tbs mayo, 1 slice cheesy 'bread'
D - coffee, small chicken thigh
Old 11-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Mjgh06: This seems to be agreeing with you. You are doing awesome. I am doing the same thing and as you know from our other thread I Have not lost a pound this week. And actually up a half pound over the this week. Due to my workouts I am drinking a night time shake of Casein protein. It has 4 carbs per scoop with 3 grams of fiber does that count as 1 carb on '72. I drink two scoops with water before bed time. I have been sticking to strict '72 induction food wise, not changing but I eat no veggies at this time. None. Do you think that could be slowing my weight loss this week? Or it could just be my workouts. Hit me where it hurts and tell me what I am missing.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer View Post
Mjgh06: This seems to be agreeing with you. You are doing awesome. I am doing the same thing and as you know from our other thread I Have not lost a pound this week. And actually up a half pound over the this week. Due to my workouts I am drinking a night time shake of Casein protein. It has 4 carbs per scoop with 3 grams of fiber does that count as 1 carb on '72. I drink two scoops with water before bed time. I have been sticking to strict '72 induction food wise, not changing but I eat no veggies at this time. None. Do you think that could be slowing my weight loss this week? Or it could just be my workouts. Hit me where it hurts and tell me what I am missing.
I would say your workouts are probably causing you to retain water. The protein shake is counted as 4 carbs on '72. Total carbs counted for everything. I have read that Whey protein slows down keto adaptation due to it being quite insulinogenic, but I don't know about casein alone. I wouldn't think so due to it being the pure protein. Could you post your menu? How much water are you drinking? ARe you taking the recommended supplements?

Maybe we can help a bit. I honestly don't think you need to worry too much. But let's take a look!
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me Phil 4:13

Mini Goal: 250 met in May
Mini Goal: 200
Mini goal #2: For my current wardrobe to be too big (26-28) May hit size 22-24!
Next Goal: size 16-18 by BDAY in March
Walk 3 days a week
Old 11-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Dairy and Its Effect on Insulin Secretion (and What It Means for Your Waistline)

On Mark's Daily Apple has an article that will help you understand the effects of casein and whey on insulin production.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

LadyN: Thanks for the help. Then I would count the casein as 8 carbs because I take two scoops at night.

Typical daily menu:

breakfast: 2 eggs, bacon or sausage every day, may do scambled eggs with a 1/4 cup of cheese once a week

Lunch: Grilled chicken thighs and legs with skin, 2oz of chappell hill sausage(zero carb), pork tenderloin a few ounces. This is all cooked by me so I know it is zero carb, I know the owners of chappell hill and they use zero fillers.

Dinner: Same as lunch usually, but I will sometimes eat sauteed shrimp, or pan fry fish. I will once or twice a week cook up a big rib-eye on the grill or cast iron skillet.

Daily snacks: proscuitto, coppa, smoked meats in general. ocassional pickle spear.

Bedtime: 2 scoops casein shake.

That is it. I will however once a week have a cup of spinach sauteed in the steak juices when I cook it in a cast iron skillet. Oh and a grilled jalapeno as a treat twice a week with lunch. I try to stay farm to plate on all my foods, and buy locally grown meats.

Supplement wise:
multivitamin made for low carb dieters
Probiotic
pyhsillium husk
Omega 3-6-9 kinda of fish oil

There is my day in a nut shell. I get so focused on working out and losing weight that I forget about eating bad things.

Thanks again for any advice.

Last edited by kempmuhlbauer; 11-14-2013 at 06:31 AM..
Old 11-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

kempmuhlbauer: Your menu looks good! Maybe too much sodium from the smoked meats coupled with your exercise is causing you to hold on to water? Another factor that may be hindering you is the casein. Take a look at that article and see if that may be your problem. How about egg white protein powder? That might work after your workout and not cause the response the casein does.

One other thing that sticks out to me is that you are not taking any potassium or magnesium. When I started to really be more diligent about those two, I stopped holding on to so much water. Just a thought for you.

I really can't see any other reason you are not losing right now. Again the exercise always makes me hold on to more water. Then I eventually see a loss. For example: I am up 2lbs today, and I know it is just water in response to exercise. Tomorrow I will be down those two again. Heck I might be down this evening the way I am going! LOL!

hang in there! I believe you will see a loss soon!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/25/13
I've been sticking to 10 g per day very diligently for one week. saw an initial flush of4 pounds, but nothing since. I just need a little reassurance. This is going to work right?? I'm nervous and scared ! Dr. A said it works for everyone, so it will work. Right?
Last night I had steak dish that tasted like it had been marinated in something. Sure do hope it want sugar based, ugh
Old 11-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Poppies View Post
I've been sticking to 10 g per day very diligently for one week. saw an initial flush of4 pounds, but nothing since. I just need a little reassurance. This is going to work right?? I'm nervous and scared ! Dr. A said it works for everyone, so it will work. Right?
Last night I had steak dish that tasted like it had been marinated in something. Sure do hope it want sugar based, ugh
4lbs is a LOT in one week!! Good job! You will see the losses. Our bodies are very stubborn in a "hate to change one darn thing" kinda way. Those pesky fat cells do not like to be deflated!!! So they fill up with water for a time until they realize you mean business!!!

1. Are you eating from the list?
2. ARe you still in ketosis?
3. Have you lost inches?
4. Check and re-check for hidden carbs.

Don't adjust just yet! Be patient! I have bounced back up 2lbs just by adding exercise. It will go away by tomorrow. I don't sweat it at all because I am losing inches. Remember we are in this for the long haul. It takes time for your body to adjust!!!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Kemp I think you got some really good advice form LadyN. I also agree with the magnesium. When I miss a day on it is usually when I start retaining water. I actually forget a lot. but when I remember to take it regularly I see faster weight loss.

10 - post a little more info. Have you already done the 72 Induction - no carbs? How long since the 10 carb week? What is your typical daily menu? If you ate out for the steak, they may have used a sugar-based marinade. I always try to check the restaurant online first to see what their menus are like, but mostly I just eat at home or bring with me.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks guys. I do take a H20 to go supplement as needed. It is basically magnesium supplement that makes me have a bm daily. I will start that daily also. It is a magnesium as in oxide is that cool?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Poppies View Post
Poppies, you sound like me. I think this is going to work for everyone but ME!

Since I had to restart on Monday because of the weekend, I've been afeared to weigh. Not because of the weekend, but because I don't feel like I've lost a darn thing yet. I had weighed on Friday and will check on Saturday to see if there's been any loss even though Sunday will be the end of the first week.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

kemp, the magnesium I take is oxide. There are different types, some work better than others and they have different side effects. I take 250mg in addition to whats in my multivitamin, and when I am backed up I take 500mg extra which usually works within a couple hours.

If I remember correctly, there are ten different forms. Orotate to me is the best but hard to find at least where I am at. I can not take the chelate, lactate, or sulfate due to side effects and won't take chloride or carbonate just because of the chemical uses, and citrate goes right through me. I haven't tried the taurate which is supposed to be very good, nor the threonate. Also magnesium is best taken with a calcium supplement for better absorbtion.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Mjgh06: Thanks for the advice on magnesium I have some and will start taking regularly.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:38 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
Start Date: 3/25/13
Thanks, all! Your advice is hugely appreciated. My induction week ended yesterday but I'd like to do another week to make sure I have good habits down firmly before moving on.

I think I must have gotten off track somewhere earlier in the week, because yesterday was good and weight is down today 2 llbs.

I'm eating more or less this:

B: ham and eggs, coffee or tea with hwc
S: plain chicken tenders, pan fried no breading
L: tuna with mayo, or chopped turkey& cheese with one cup salad greens.
S: coffee with hwc, one cup cucumber with lemon & salt
D: an omelet with cheese, steak, or shrimp. I have to make an effort to eat dinner, I'm not interested.

Ran out of test strips, but I'm pretty sure I'm in ketosis. I feel energetic, low appetite and waking up early. My breath could drop a charging rhino! So I have been chewing a lot of sugarless gum, and maybe that is causing a problem? I can't be at work with breath like this. I just bought a little bottle of mouthwash to take to work.

Very interested to see what happens tomorrow

Perplexity is the beginning of knowledge.
Khalil Gibran
Old 11-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

I will be out of town all weekend with the guys at the hunting ranch. I will be partaking in some beers that is for sure put that is it. I am going to enjoy life. I will be right back into the full induction starting Sunday morning. Basically not drinking on sunday. Will be in induction except for Michelob ultras.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

I will be out of pocket for several days with lots of ministry activities and my family is having Thanksgiving Dinner Sunday after church. So I hope you all do well! I will check in as I can.

Strange thing, I am not down those 2 pesky pounds, but my clothes are fitting even looser! I know it is working! Hang in there everyone!

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION------Keep it right there!
Old 11-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

I went ahead and weighed today. Couldn't stand not to after reading this thread yesterday! I'm down 2.5, but nothing feels better. If I hadn't lost those same 2.5 lbs. 30 times before, I'd be ecstatic.

I know I'm in ketosis by the color (moderate), but I don't have the bad breath thing going on. Appetite is okay due to the lovely, permissible fats. I only measure a couple of places and there's been zip in inches lost.

I have a feeling I may go back to JUDDD and just eat low carb. I don't feel like this is doing anything spectacular for me. I told DH last night, it's really a shame the whole world - mainly women - are on a 24/7 mission to lose weight. I'm honestly tired of "dieting" constantly. How did just about the whole human race lose the ability of how to eat????

No answer necessary ... just my (frustrated) ramblings.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
Start Date: 2/22/13
Vanilla, I think the problem is that we look at it as "dieting". A temporary way of eating to reach a goal, and then going back to our old ways and starting the cycle all over again. We want instant gratification, and we want it quick and easy. That's why it's so important to pick a way of eating that you can maintain for a lifetime. We have to make uncomfortable changes, but it's the only way to stop "dieting".

In the past, I've been able to lose 100 pounds in 3 or 4 months, and then go back to my old ways. This time, it's taken me 8 1/2 months to lose 100 pounds, and I'm thankful that it's taken longer because now I know that I've made permanent changes. The longer I do it, the more it becomes a way of life for me. I know that I can never go back to eating the way I used to, or I'll be back to 300 pounds. This has become my way of life, not a diet, and that's I believe I'll be successful, for the first time, in maintaining my weight loss.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
Old 11-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

vanilla, 2.5lbs is not bad in 4.5 days. Think of it this way that is actually a little over half a pound A DAY!! and that was with your body recouping from the weekend which could have easily slowed weight loss or even stopped it on Monday-Wednesday.

So I look at that as AMAZING! You could have lost those 2.5lbs in just really two days. I wouldn't give up just yet.

Although JUDDD has its place and I do love it. I did JUDDD my own way when I started because I just had no appetite. I fasted 100% one day and followed 72 Induction the next day. It helped me increase my appetite so now I eat both days. I don't recommend that for everyone though. MY metabolism was so screwed up from meds and eating between 500-600cals a day for three years at only one meal a day, and I was actually gaining weight.

I also agree with Mthergoos. You have got to look at this as NOT just another diet but a Way of Life. You are not trying to lose weight but to become a healthier you with the benefit of losing extra pounds not needed. Your mentality is the key to success with this plan or really anything in life. It has got to become ingrained as part of your daily living and who you are. Then you will see the bigger picture so to speak and know you are on the right path.

Last edited by mjgh06; 11-15-2013 at 01:13 PM..
Old 11-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Eek, I feel like I need to clarify. By "dieting" I meant trying to lose weight. I'm very comfortable eating low carb and have no plans to go back to living in CarbLand. I've not been in Onderland since the late 80's and have been "dieting" in the true sense for over 30 years. So, obviously nothing is going to be quick or easy for me! As I've posted before, I went low carb in July, and have since cut out wheat and sugar. Not having lost a thing except these same 3-5 lbs. is just frustrating.

I know the loss is good and even thought the weekend wasn't 100% '72, it wasn't a bad weekend. If I could bust through the 5 lb. loss I think I'd be encouraged.

As for JUDDD, I've done it many times with limited success. I did it when it first came out and got with a pound of Onderland prior to a vacation. There was very little support for it (none here at that time) and I never got back on it. I flirted with several times, but nothing. Last year before a surgery, I'd finally begun having success (wasn't eating enough on my UD, go figure!), got within a few pounds of Onderland. Gained after the surgery and nothing has worked since. But, my heart seems to want to JUDDD and keep it low carb. Still considering it.

I sincerely do appreciate your comments and hope, hope, hope I don't sound ungrateful because that is certainly not the case. I enjoy gleaning what I can from both of your posts on here. MJGH, even though initially I thought I was doing '72 right, I saw along with Poppies, that I wasn't because of this very thread!

I'm just wearing of never, ever being able to lose weight no matter what I do. Just needed to vent a little.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Vanilla - no clarification neccessary...Venting is always needed and we so support you Vanilla! I so hope you get your 5lbs and more coming off. Take that back - I know you will get it. You know what is best for your body and you must do what works for you. Sending hugs and prayers your way!

I messed up a little tinee bit this evening. Went out to Golden Corral to celebrate my BDay. Food options were wonderful and stayed on Induction plan - steak and romaine....except.... I had one tinee bitty nibble, not even a bite, of a SF chocolate cookie until I realized OMG WTH am I doing! Immediately threw it down on the plate and shoved the plate away to the side. No excuses - major fu.

So today
B - two eggs, 2 slices bacon, coffee with HWC
L - sausage and romaine with 1/4c shredded cheese
D - steak and romaine with cucumber slices
S - nibble of a cookie

Last edited by mjgh06; 11-15-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Old 11-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
Start Date: 2/22/13
MissyDee, I don't think that was a major screw up at all! I seriously can't imagine that was enough to kick you out of ketosis. It shows great self restraint that you were able to stop yourself.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

MIssydee: Great control to stop yourself. You should be proud. If i was not so drunk and hungover I may have stopped myself this weekend. But the milk is on the floor........no moving on. Hope to be back and in ketosis by tuesday morning.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
Vanilla - no clarification neccessary...Venting is always needed and we so support you Vanilla! I so hope you get your 5lbs and more coming off. Take that back - I know you will get it. You know what is best for your body and you must do what works for you. Sending hugs and prayers your way!

I messed up a little tinee bit this evening. Went out to Golden Corral to celebrate my BDay. Food options were wonderful and stayed on Induction plan - steak and romaine....except.... I had one tinee bitty nibble, not even a bite, of a SF chocolate cookie until I realized OMG WTH am I doing! Immediately threw it down on the plate and shoved the plate away to the side. No excuses - major fu.
Thank you, MissyDee. I lost .5 lb. both on Saturday and Sunday, but was up .5 lb. today. So, 3 lbs. total so far. If I can ditch 2.5 more lbs. to that "bust through" number for me, then I'll be thinking we're doing something. Thank you for your support and prayers whether I stick with this or mix it up with JUDDD, I appreciate it.

I think the cookie was only a minor fu. Good for you for not snarfing it down!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Well day 2 of strict '72 after the weekend "plan alteration". Worked out today and have been super active. Feel great overall so far. Don't think I really stored up to many carbs this weekend by staying away from most sweets and regular soft drinks etc. So will see in the morning.
Closed Thread