Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #271
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthepath View Post
Lost 2 pounds in the last 2 days. Yippee!! I am so glad, cause I was getting frustrated with no losses for a week. I have cut my portions. Actually, not filling my plate as full. I can always get more if I am still hungry, but I seem to belong to the "clean your plate club" and I eat whatever is on there even if I get full before. I have a hard time stopping when I'm full otherwise.
I noticed on one thread, maybe this one, that some people weren't eating hardly anything IMO. I thought, I could never get by on that little food. But when I just took smaller portions, I was surprised at how full I stayed all day. Not full actually, or stuffed like I used to think was full, but for sure not hungry. I am amazed at how little I can eat and not be hungry all day.
For breakfast I cut down from 2 eggs and 2 bacon to one egg and one bacon and was very comfortably satisfied.
For lunch, I had on chicken thigh instead of 2, with an oopsie roll and was on the border of stuffed.
For dinner, I had a 3 oz cheeseburger and wonderful lettuce salad with ranch dressing and couldn't have eaten another bite.
Some sf jello with celery for an evening snack.
Was all good. And finally, the weight is again coming off.
Congratulations! Sounds like you're doing a great job! That combination of protein and fat, without the carbohydrates, leaves us oddly Not Hungry. Being in Ketosis is a wonderful thing! When I was eating carbs, I was a bottomless pit. Always hungry and always eating. Now, I don't eat all that much, but I'm never hungry. I also think that we learn to listen to our bodies more and learn the difference between being actually hungry and just having mental hunger.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: onthepath
Stats: 234/213/180
WOE: low carb
Start Date: June 2012
that's exactly right MG. On carbs I can't seem to stop eating. Always hungry. Now, well, it is amazing.
And yes, I am learning about real hunger and mental hunger.
A never ending lesson for me I guess. Even when I know I am full, I just have to clean my plate. Well, I don't have to I guess, but my resistance to stop is very low. I am telling myself that I can finish it later if I am hungry, but I never do. Once I stop eating, I'm good.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #273
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc

Does anyone know if this book is about the same as the 72 edition? It is dated 1978, but if I recall correctly the diet looks the same. I can't find my 72 book
Old 02-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #274
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I understand completely. I've been in Ketosis for one full year, and I was upset the other night, and my first reaction was to eat. I wanted food. Thankfully, all I had was one extra egg, and a little dollop of sour cream on my eggs, but it was still frustrating to me that my first reaction to stress is still food. I don't that will ever change, but at least I control it now, which I didn't do before..... and that would be how I got up to 300 pounds.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Don't even get me started! When I go into WalMart and see all of the "Atkins" products, or see the Sharon Osbourne commercials talking about all the weight she lost on "Atkins" with all of the candy and crap, I just about explode. Seriously. I just want to scream at the TV "EAT REAL FOOD!". I can't believe what they've done just to make money. IMO, not at all what Dr. Atkins would have wanted.
I can't believe the price of the Atkins products! I was looking at an Atkins' breakfast frozen meal and it was just bacon & eggs called "Bacon Scramble" and it had 5 CARBS. Seriously, 5 CARBS? Eggs & bacon don't have carbs but it was the Sugar, Soy, Corn Starch & Modified Food Starch in the recipe that added those carbs. I am saving my 5 carbs for something better than bacon and eggs.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #276
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
I can't believe the price of the Atkins products! I was looking at an Atkins' breakfast frozen meal and it was just bacon & eggs called "Bacon Scramble" and it had 5 CARBS. Seriously, 5 CARBS? Eggs & bacon don't have carbs but it was the Sugar, Soy, Corn Starch & Modified Food Starch in the recipe that added those carbs. I am saving my 5 carbs for something better than bacon and eggs.
Exactly! I realize that the convenience factor is nice, but you can spend an hour one day making up your own batch of bacon and eggs and just reheating them through out the week if you need to..... with no extra garbage in it. It infuriates me that they use the "Atkins" name this way. I can't believe that this is ever what he intended.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:25 AM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nimuae
Stats: 296/190.0/165
WOE: Atkins -currently Atkins 72 Induction week 1
Start Date: Restart - 01/24/14
Quote:
Exactly! I realize that the convenience factor is nice, but you can spend an hour one day making up your own batch of bacon and eggs and just reheating them through out the week if you need to..... with no extra garbage in it. It infuriates me that they use the "Atkins" name this way. I can't believe that this is ever what he intended.
Right on!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:30 AM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CdnPaleoGuy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthepath View Post
I haven't tried oopsie rolls with mayo. I'm pretty bummed. I think they are an adequate sub for bread/buns, but my DH wouldn't eat them. I put some meat and cheese on them and broiled till the cheese melted. Was sooo yummy. But he couldn't eat them. My daughter, who is a very picky eater and does not do LC, ate them for him. Said she couldn't tell the difference from the ones I used to make on buns, so ya just never know. Some like it and some don't. I will keep making them for myself though. I like them. And they are very filling.
I made the standard recipe with the cream cheese & they turned out pretty good despite sticking to the aluminum foil
Anyhow, I put a good pat of butter on it & wolfed back 2 of them
Old 02-17-2014, 05:58 AM   #279
Senior LCF Member

I used to eat frozen toasted waffles with cool whip. When I made oopsie rolls yesterday, I put some whipped cream on one and, oh my, felt like was really cheating. After one, I HAD to have another one. So good. Had to refrain from eating the entire batch in one sitting. Might be ok my DH doesn't like them. I'd be making them everyday.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #280
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
LOVE Oopsie Rolls..
....but I also have portion issues...even with foods that are on my food plan!
There are so many ways to make/tweak them!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:46 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member

I have portion control issues also. Didn't know how bad until this morning. I decided to use one as a pancake with sf syrup. Ended up having 4 of them. Argg!! Your right Galveston Gal. Portion control. Or don't make them again. At least for a while. I really want to lose not maintain.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #282
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terilynn77
Stats: 307/228/150
WOE: Atkins 72 ~ NK
Start Date: 2/10/14
Those rolls look awesome, but I also have portion control issues. So I'm not going to try those for awhile! haha!

I had a hard time this weekend! Mainly because again, was snowed in. Ate my last egg on Saturday morning. I was out of alot of groceries, and not very happy! So...today is a new day. Darn it.

I have a question about cheese. In the book he mentions aged natural cheese. I've seen alot of you reference cheese that comes in the wax wrapping. Is that all the cheese you eat then? I was eating some shredded cheese last week, and this week bought some cheese that was "aged" and "natural" but not sure if I'm liking it!

Thanks!
Teri
Old 02-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #283
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terilynn77
Stats: 307/228/150
WOE: Atkins 72 ~ NK
Start Date: 2/10/14
Those rolls look awesome, but I also have portion control issues. So I'm not going to try those for awhile! haha!

This weekend was sooo hard. I'm so mad at myself! I was planning on going grocery shopping Saturday morning, after working out. But ended up being snowed in. I'm ready for spring!! So after eating my last egg Saturday morning, things went down hill from there...way down hill. So trying to pick myself up today and once again, start over.

I have a question about cheese. In the book he mentions aged natural cheese. I've seen alot of you reference cheese that comes in the wax wrapping. Is that all the cheese you eat then? I was eating some shredded cheese last week, and this week bought some cheese that was "aged" and "natural" but not sure if I'm liking it!

Thanks!
Teri
Old 02-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #284
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Teri, I never buy pre shredded cheese, because they put things in it to make it not stick together. I buy extra sharp cheddar cheese. Usually Tillamook. I shred it myself and just keep it in a container in the refrig. But it's not wrapped in wax. For me, the only restriction that I really put on the cheese it to make sure it's the hardest and sharpest that I can find. I don't buy the slices or the already shredded stuff.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #285
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/139.3/130
WOE: HDE/FF
MtherGoos, I just noticed your stats. You're exactly half the woman you used to be! Big congrads!!!!!!!

Thanks for the note on pre-shredded cheese, I had forgotten about that.

Well after being derailed last month due to sickness, I am starting fresh today. It also gave me time to order and read the book. Funny how I thought the ’80 version I’d had was the original all this time. This is today’s plan:
B-Deviled Egg Salad with Bacon, Coffee with HWC
S-Cheddar Cheese
L-Leftover Chicken Dipped in Must/Mayo Sauce, Green Olives
D- Hamburger (maybe with cheese), Lettuce and radish with oil based dressing
Old 02-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #286
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Terri! Still 25 pounds to goal, and it's coming off much more slowly, but I'm getting there. Your menu looks great!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michellewynos
Stats: 226/168/145
Start Date: Feb. 15, 2014
well, it has been awhile since i posted, but I am still here and still reading everyone's awesome progress!!! I have only lost 1 lb since my last post, but I am fine with that! I can see that I am losing inches and that is fine with me...for now!!! My new size 16 are getting loose and I am loving it!!! I do not have a measuring tape (keep forgetting to get one) but, I can most surely tell I am getting smaller!!! My biggest problem is that I hate eating!! I have to force myself to eat every single time. I am just never really hungry. But, I (hopefully) will get used to eating at least 3 times a day. I also bought some pepperoni sticks for snacks, so, I am hoping that will help me.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #288
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Michelle, Glad you're doing so well! Keep up the good work! Honestly, if you don't want to eat 3 times per day, then don't. Eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are not. Some days you will be hungrier than others. Stick to real whole foods that are on the induction list, and listen to your body.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #289
Senior LCF Member

i thought you were supposed to eat every three hours......meal, snack, meal, snack, meal.....i have been eating 3 eggs in the morning, 3 pieces of bacon for snack, salad with bleu cheese crumbles, bacon bits, and dressing for lunch, and then usually a cheese burger for dinner. once in a while, i will eat some sugar free jello. when i was doing atkins the first time, i ate the exact same thing everyday for 3 months straight...never ate anything different. got boring, but i am not a big food person anyways. once i got over my sugar craving, i do fine. so, i am trying to do that this time, but i kinda added in the jello once i get close to my goal weight, which is 150, i will start adding in more carbs, slowly. but right now, i am enjoying being back in induction. i do hate drinking water all the time tho......not a coffee or tea drinker and diet soda's have aspartame in them, which i heard slows down losing weight process. would like any info on this topic!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #290
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, you don't have to eat every 3 hours. You eat when you're hungry, stop when you're not. It's all about finding what works for you, but I definitely wouldn't force myself to eat. Just listen to your body and eat according to your hunger.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Lol, that is my problem.....i never eat, so my body thinks it is in starvation mode......so, if i eat little meals all day, it burns the fat off, knowing it will be getting more fuel.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Michelle, I think starvation mode is a bit of a myth, but it is all about finding what works for you, but if you're happy eating every 3 hours and it's working for you, then that's what matters, I'm just saying that I wouldn't force myself to eat.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Michelle, I think starvation mode is a bit of a myth, but it is all about finding what works for you, but if you're happy eating every 3 hours and it's working for you, then that's what matters, I'm just saying that I wouldn't force myself to eat.
I agree completely with Mther Goos. You need to find what works for you. I eat one time a day. A friend of mine suggested eating 3 or 4 times a day, but I find that I am hungry all day long. Weird!! But when I eat one time a day (usually around 4 pm-ish) and have a small snack (1 oz of pork rinds or diet jell-o) around 6pm and I am good to go.

A lot of people think you need to start the day with breakfast, but I did some research and found an article called “Weight Loss Myths” from the New England Journal of Medicine (31 Jan 2013):

On the Value of Eating Breakfast Myth:
“Two randomized, controlled trials that studied the outcome of eating versus skipping breakfast showed no effect on weight in the total sample. However, the findings in one study suggested that the effect on weight loss of being assigned to eat or skip breakfast was dependent on baseline breakfast habits.”

I've never been a breakfast person, give me a couple of cups of java and I am good.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #294
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I completely agree Jo. There are some people that find doing some form of intermittent fasting, such as doing all your eating in a 6 or 8 hour window each day, works best for them, and some that find grazing all day works best. We're all so different, and the key to long term success is finding what works best for you. There's no single right way.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #295
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rustygramma
It looks like this is the thread that most people doing 72 post on. Thought I would introduce myself. I have been on it for 22 days and have lost 15 lbs. A couple years ago I did Dukan diet and lost 75 lbs. I then thought I would try counting calories (only would lose it I ate between 600-900 calories) and went back to my old eating habits and due to a lot of stressful situations I gained all but 11 lbs back. Depressing. I feel so much better now that I am eating low carb. It's amazing! I know when you count calories they say not to go under 1200 or you will mess up your metabolism. Is that true with this woe? Yesterday I didn't feel like eating. Had a few pieces of homemade jerky, a small salad, and a small piece of roast, and cream in my coffee of course. If I don't eat enough calories will it mess up my metabolism?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #296
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome RustyGramma! I believe that everyone is different. You will have days when you are not hungry, and days when you are very hungry. I think that the key to this way of eating is to learn to listen to your body. Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are not. You will find what works for you. I wouldn't go weeks at a time on extremely low calories, but you should find that your appetite comes back as your body adjusts.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
MtherGoos, I was immersed in the NK forum yesterday and had a question for you as I saw you post over there, too. What is the difference between Atkins 72 and eating NK? The only thing I could come up with is that A72 limits cream, cheese, dairy, etc. and NK allows you to eat these things as long as it fits within the daily carb limit (which I'm assuming is different for each person).

I tried A72 late last year and didn't lose anything. I've also tried limiting my carbs to 10-20 a day, cut out wheat and sugar and still lost nothing.

I do better eating higher fat, and my percentages seem to naturally fall in the NK ranges, so maybe I should try that. But wanted to see what the difference was, so thanks for your input on my question.

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #298
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Vanilla, what I do is to stick to the foods that are on the Atkins 72 Induction List, but I focus on getting higher fat, so I combine Atkins 72 with NK. I think the biggest difference is that on NK, you don't have to stick to the foods on the Induction List, you just keep your macros in line. With Atkins 72, he didn't put a big emphasis on higher fat. For me, as I get closer to goal, it gets harder to lose, so focusing on keeping my fat at around 80% helps to keep me losing. Dr Atkins didn't want us to be afraid of fat, but he didn't focus on higher fat. For me, that's just what I need to do to keep losing at this point in my weight loss.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
Ok, thanks, that's kind of what I was figuring. The hardest things I had to cut down/or give up when I tried A72 was lowering my cream and ditching my yogurt, neither of which seemed to help with losing weight. I was going to cry if those two things is what was hindering any weight loss, but they didn't.

Thanks for the input and kudos on your weight loss!!
Old 02-21-2014, 03:04 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygramma View Post
It looks like this is the thread that most people doing 72 post on. Thought I would introduce myself. I have been on it for 22 days and have lost 15 lbs. A couple years ago I did Dukan diet and lost 75 lbs. I then thought I would try counting calories (only would lose it I ate between 600-900 calories) and went back to my old eating habits and due to a lot of stressful situations I gained all but 11 lbs back. Depressing. I feel so much better now that I am eating low carb. It's amazing! I know when you count calories they say not to go under 1200 or you will mess up your metabolism. Is that true with this woe? Yesterday I didn't feel like eating. Had a few pieces of homemade jerky, a small salad, and a small piece of roast, and cream in my coffee of course. If I don't eat enough calories will it mess up my metabolism?
Will it mess up your metabolism? I figured mine is so slow anyways. I know Atkins 72 is all about the total number of carbs, but when I started this again (and hopefully this is the LAST TIME) back on 5 July of 2013, I also counted kcals, I averaged 850 per day with under 10 carbs. I lost 100 lbs in 25 weeks (December 23, 2013). Then. I increased my daily kcal each week by 50 and kept the carbs under 10 carbs. I am now up to 1200 kcals a week and still under 10 carbs. My reasoning was that as long as I was not hungry, feeling light headed, have headaches, etc, then I was consuming enough kcals for me. I also exercise every day. I have my computer keyboard rigged to my stationary bike and I have to peddle if I want to use my computer -- I don’t have a computer chair in my computer room. So I spend about 2 or more hours every morning peddling and getting work completed (depends what time I get up). I’m basically peddling at a leisurely pace, but at least it’s exercise! On the weekends, I can peddle up to 3 or 4 hours (one hour at a time and I take a 15 min break to give my rear end a break).

I did some research and found out that people that get weight loss surgery on average do not consume more than about 600 kcals a day. I figured my way was better because I was eating actual food. I don’t eat anything processed and I don’t eat nuts or cheese. I am now trying to lose my last six pounds slowly and slowly increase my kcals. I’ve tried in the past to increase carbs, but they always get me into trouble and then I start craving them again and I fall off the wagon.

I think the biggest thing about this is you have to tailor it to fit your needs, it’s not one size fits all. Your body will let you know if you listen to it carefully.
Closed Thread