Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whyohwh
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: March 2013
Atkins induction - how full-proof is it?

Just a few questions: can the Atkins 72 induction work for everyone, providing there is no problem with thyroid or illness? I've read that some people have had stalls that lasted a full year on induction - a full year! That a long, long, time.

I was wondering what happens after that year? Do the pounds start to magically melt, because that year is over? Or does another diet come into play, like JUDD?

How do I know how long I have to wait?
Whyohwh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
this question end up getting very complicated if you get into the actual cases where induction "doesn't work." how much weight does the person have to lose? what are their metabolic issues? how much food are they eating? are they really adhering to induction as intended?

Atkins '72 is strange that way... people think it's lower carb, but if you eat the optional stuff that is allowed it would be very easy to go over the 20 grams of net carbs allowed on normal Atkins. I calculated it once and I think it was 40 grams you could end up eating if you pushed it. Most people don't push it, but then again, most people lose on induction!

since you have just a little to lose, i would say it's pretty clear it's not a matter of waiting. others may disagree. but if it's been a month of clean eating and you have lost nothing, you need to try something else I think. It's usually a simple matter of eating too much for your body.

bear in mind though, that if you lose this ten pounds it's going to be challenging to keep it off! your body stays at 130 with what you are eating now. maintenance for 120 will be less food.

good luck!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
Wish I knew the answer to that. I began Atkins '72 several weeks ago and have yet to really lose a thing. I keep going up and down 3-5 lbs. (I could stand to lose at least 80). I was keeping my carbs at 20 while waiting for my book, then did the two weeks as written.

Any thyroid tests I've had done come back "normal", even though I've never done a full panel. I don't really fit the thyroid problem profile, so I doubt that's a problem. I have begun taking Kelp - figure it can't hurt.

I had a hysterectomy last year, which may be temporarily causing me problems. I mixed low carb and JUDDD last year just before surgery and had finally begun losing. I'd done JUDDD in the past and had success with it before I fell off the wagon. I am once again combining the two, although I know I'm more low carb now (still keeping at 20 or below carbs) than really doing Atkins '72 where you add carbs back in.

It looks like you only need to lose 10 lbs. It may be harder since you're so close to your goal. Mercy, I'd kill to be you - that's a compliment!

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

bear in mind though, that if you lose this ten pounds it's going to be challenging to keep it off! your body stays at 130 with what you are eating now. maintenance for 120 will be less food.

good luck![/QUOTE]

I've been on Atkins at very comfotable levels for that very reason. If I feel that I'm missing out, I know I won't be able to do it for very long.

Maybe I've been on maintenance, thinking I was on OWL.

That's why I'm such a major tweaker. Up to now, I can say that I love all low carb systems - high fat/moderate protein; high protein/moderate fat, etc... It's only been 8 months... I'm lookinf for the formula that will let me have my low carb cake and eat it too.

Could be unrealistic.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
When I switched to Atkins 72 by the book, my weight loss picked up SIGNIFICANTLY. I shrank before the scale showed anything much though.

I mean I don't eat any dairy (I am allergic) at all. I eat protein, fat, and the two small salads with homemade vinagarette. I have CO in my coffee, and I drink water. I have also added 1/2 cup of veggies to my lunch. I am losing very steadily both pounds and inches. I supplement with the recommended supplements from the book, and I must say that I love the simplicity of this plan.

Of course I have more weight to lose than you.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me Phil 4:13

Mini Goal: 250 met in May
Mini Goal: 200
Mini goal #2: For my current wardrobe to be too big (26-28) May hit size 22-24!
Next Goal: size 16-18 by BDAY in March
Walk 3 days a week
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Wish I knew the answer to that. I began Atkins '72 several weeks ago and have yet to really lose a thing. I keep going up and down 3-5 lbs.
[...]
Good grief, I wonder why there are so many people with the same problem. If you follow the plan to a T, no cheats, well, why isn't it working? And why are there so many posts about low carb not working? It's annoying - but at the same time, eating low carb is really easy for me. Right now I'm sticking with it because the idea of going back to WW isn't a good one : too many cravings, guilt, ups and downs, fear of binging, etc. All of which I don't get with LC.
But at least, with WW, when I wanted to lose a few quick pounds, I would just starve myself and it worked temporarily, time enough for me to think that life was great.
I still don't have a clue as to how to lose a quick anything with Atkins/low carb - and believe me, I tried. High/moderate fat/protein, up the fat, lower the fat, up the protein, lower the protein, up the calories, lower the calories. Must be the sweeteners, must be the nuts, must be the weather...

How about the bacon diet? Eat only bacon for a week... would that work?
http://images.lowcarbfriends.com/lcf...lies/laugh.gif
Old 10-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyohwh View Post
Good grief, I wonder why there are so many people with the same problem. If you follow the plan to a T, no cheats, well, why isn't it working? And why are there so many posts about low carb not working? It's annoying - but at the same time, eating low carb is really easy for me. Right now I'm sticking with it because the idea of going back to WW isn't a good one : too many cravings, guilt, ups and downs, fear of binging, etc. All of which I don't get with LC.
But at least, with WW, when I wanted to lose a few quick pounds, I would just starve myself and it worked temporarily, time enough for me to think that life was great.
I still don't have a clue as to how to lose a quick anything with Atkins/low carb - and believe me, I tried. High/moderate fat/protein, up the fat, lower the fat, up the protein, lower the protein, up the calories, lower the calories. Must be the sweeteners, must be the nuts, must be the weather...

How about the bacon diet? Eat only bacon for a week... would that work?
http://images.lowcarbfriends.com/lcf...lies/laugh.gif
I have to say, too, that even if I'm not 100% Atkins '72, I've been not straying from low carb. I've been to 2-3 functions where there have been massive amounts of carbs, and although they still look good, I've either refrained or been able to take my own low carb stuff.

I had to about the weather comment!! Yeah, I think good grief, I've cut out carbs, wheat, sugar, etc. what's next ... water??? Sheesh. I keep thinking there has GOT to be some good changes going on inside even if it ain't showing on the outside yet. I sometimes think that with 30+ years of being on some kind of diet, my body is playing "chicken" with me and waiting for me to fall back into carbs or just lots of food and give up.

Re: the Bacon Diet - wouldn't that be too much salt??
Old 10-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Re-read the Original Atkins 1972 DADR

I often go back and re-read my book just to reaffirm my thoughts, or correct new ideas I have come across and some how allowed to infiltrate my thinking.

Dr. Atkins believed wholeheartedly in his plan. He even stated on pg. 150 that "I have never had a case where the diet could not be made to work. And yet I have had many patients who were sure at some time the diet was not going to work for them. They were always wrong! There is always an explanation if the patient stops losing."

He goes on to discuss reasons and solutions for what is perceived as a stall including issues with thyroid.

IMHO I really believe as well that if his plan is followed to a tee, you will lose weight - no doubt. But you have to be diligent in your efforts and not try to rush through the process. He mentions several times in the book that a person's CCL can and does change throughout their life. One of the reasons he was adamant about keto-sticks. If you followed his plan and slowly reintroduced 5-8 carbs pdpw, you would be able to analyze how you are doing with the new addition. If you are hungry, not losing, or out of ketosis, you would know to go back to the previous level, eliminate that particular new addition and go again. Until you know you CCL. If you start having issues again at any time, your CCL probably changed and you should repeat the process of determining where your new CCL threshold is at.

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."Henry Ford

My Weight Journal ~MissyDee~

Last edited by mjgh06; 10-30-2013 at 02:01 PM..
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
I often go back and re-read my book just to reaffirm my thoughts, or correct new ideas I have come across and some how allowed to infiltrate my thinking.

Dr. Atkins believed wholeheartedly in his plan. He even stated on pg. 150 that "I have never had a case where the diet could not be made to work. And yet I have had many patients who were sure at some time the diet was not going to work for them. They were always wrong! There is always an explanation if the patient stops losing."

He goes on to discuss reasons and solutions for what is perceived as a stall including issues with thyroid.

IMHO I really believe as well that if his plan is followed to a tee, you will lose weight - no doubt. But you have to be diligent in your efforts and not try to rush through the process. He mentions several times in the book that a person's CCL can and does change throughout their life. One of the reasons he was adamant about keto-sticks. If you followed his plan and slowly reintroduced 5-8 carbs pdpw, you would be able to analyze how you are doing with the new addition. If you are hungry, not losing, or out of ketosis, you would know to go back to the previous level, eliminate that particular new addition and go again. Until you know you CCL. If you start having issues again at any time, your CCL probably changed and you should repeat the process of determining where your new CCL threshold is at.
The bolded - he never met some of us here. It all sounds great and I agree with you in theory. In my case, I didn't lose a thing. I thought it was going to work as I did lose a couple of pounds. Came right back on, though. I was always - and still am - in ketosis, felt great, ate what was on the lists (even measured out the darn lettuce!), etc. Even kept track of my calories to make sure I wasn't overdoing it.

I bought his original book and read it cover to cover. I fully believe in eating low carb more so now than I ever did before on my attempts and credit Dr. Atkins, along with the "new" people getting it out there, for helping me to finally realize that! It's apparent some of us just have stubborn bodies and refuse to let go of the fat. I keep hoping that one day I'll start melting away like I've seen it happen for so many others.

I would have loved to gotten to the point were I could add back in carbs! I'm still keeping them at 20, but I'm combining this with JUDDD. I may get frustrated and want to throw that stupid scale through the wall, but I keep trying!
Old 10-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=vanilla_latte;16665635]T Came right back on, though. I was always - and still am - in ketosis, felt great, ate what was on the lists (even measured out the darn lettuce!), etc. Even kept track of my calories to make sure I wasn't overdoing it.

1) Yikes! for the lettuce part.

2) Calories are soooo difficult to understand. The new Atkins says between 1500 and 1800 for women. While eating low carb, I have gained and lost with those numbers. I continue Atkins/low carb for the way I feel, not for the way I look. But I sure would like it to work!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyohwh View Post
1) Yikes! for the lettuce part.

2) Calories are soooo difficult to understand. The new Atkins says between 1500 and 1800 for women. While eating low carb, I have gained and lost with those numbers. I continue Atkins/low carb for the way I feel, not for the way I look. But I sure would like it to work!
This. I even checked my BMR and - is it AMR? - to find out where my calories should be. Frankly, I am so sick of counting things and it not working that I could scream! I'm okay with counting carbs, though. I'm continue to eat LC like you said, for the way I feel. I had a few bites of carbage this weekend and it sent my tummy into a tailspin.

I truly think I'm getting the benefits of eating LC on the inside - I just wanna see the same benefits on the outside.

Last edited by vanilla_latte; 11-04-2013 at 10:57 AM..