Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
No specific order required to add 5-8 grams of carbs each week

I’ve labeled the additions of carbohydrate that follow’ second level’, ‘third level’, ‘fourth level’, ‘fifth level’, but in fact the additions are interchangeable and flexible. You can make any of these additions any week that you choose. I am so committed to making this a livable lifetime diet that I am letting you select your own variations, within the rules set up by your biological rulebook.
Put back what you’ve missed the most: The idea is simply to gradually return to your diet first what you missed most. Custom-tailor the diet to suit your carbohydrate additions to suit your lifestyle. All that matters is that you add back to your diet a little carbohydrate at a time, and that you stop adding carbohydrate when you reach your CCL.

This was Dr. Atkins thinking in 1972. Why did this change in the later editions to specific foods for each "rung"?

I am allergic to dairy, so my addition on the second week is going to be 5 grams of carbs from a veggie, but I could technically add some macadamia nuts as well.

My question: What has been your experience as you add carbs in the recommended amounts? What did you add back first?

I am not new to low carb or Atkins, but I just re-read my book and this really jumped out at me.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me Phil 4:13

Mini Goal: 250 met in May
Mini Goal: 200
Mini goal #2: For my current wardrobe to be too big (26-28) May hit size 22-24!
Next Goal: size 16-18 by BDAY in March
Walk 3 days a week
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Gah. I've never added carbs. Hope someone can come along and help on this one!
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I would not add back what I've missed the most, because that would be mostly triggier foods, such as nuts. I am going to add things that will add variety and nutrition to my diet. I might add pumpkin and maybe an extra serving or two of fruit a week. Tomatoes in summer and in soup in winter. Actually I am not missing much, so who knows?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/25/13
Bella, I agree with you. In the past, adding in the things I like most does usually mean trigger foods. I have never successfully been able to step up carbs without spiraling out of control, excerpt when the added carbs were vegetable and only vegetable. And then only when they were added carefully and intermittently-skipping a day between. Far from being liberating, I find the stepping up to require more vigorous care than induction. It's almost easier to stay in induction! :-)
that being said, adding in veggies does feel good tho, and helps weight loss
10Poppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I don't plan to add more than 5- 8 grams total then stay there for quite a while. I was just wondering about the change in the plan from "add these in any order" to the actual carb ladder.

10Poppies: I agreee that trying to navigate that ladder is quite harrowing! Induction is so freeing to me.

I guess we all see that the natural tendency is to eat things that trigger cravings like nuts and nut butters fruit or even higher carb veggies. So I guess he had to define what you should add at each step to keep people on track and to drill into us the extreme caution some of us need to take when adding back certain things.

I plan to stay at 5-8 grams above the induction level of atkins 72 for a very long time. I have found that I lose best in that zone, and I feel the best right there. That usually means just having some zucchini or brocolli with my dinner. I enjoy an extra veggie now and then. Very simple and easy to plan for.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
I'll be adding back my yogurt. It's not a trigger for me, but something that I love having everyday. And being that eliminating for the last week hasn't helped me lose anything must mean it won't hurt to add it back in. I'd gladly substitute my tuna salad for my yogurt.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/25/13
Quote:
This was Dr. Atkins thinking in 1972. Why did this change in the later editions to specific foods for each "rung"?
I don't understand why the Atkins company changed that in the newer editions either...why did they change any of the original plan ??

The original 72 works and is really easy, why mess with it? To counter some of the criticism the original plan was receiving? I don't get it
10Poppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
Because that is good just has to be made "better" and/or "improved"??? Maybe it was because it was too loose for people and since usually we need structure (or told what to do!). Adding your own 5 carbs/week might be worse than being told what you can eat next, then next, etc.

I dunno, either.

I finally got my book yesterday. The dust cover price had $6.95! I haven't gotten far into yet, but it's kind of interesting reading 40 years ago in time.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Poppies View Post
I don't understand why the Atkins company changed that in the newer editions either...why did they change any of the original plan ??

The original 72 works and is really easy, why mess with it? To counter some of the criticism the original plan was receiving? I don't get it
MONEY! The new plans incorporate some bars and shakes. Also the new plans seem a bit less drastic in the eyes of many.

The other issue is the whole "net carb" vs "total carb" count debate. The 72 edition does not count net carbs. The later editions do. I personally will keep counting total carbs. Keeps everything so simple.