Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Olive's 1972 Experiment

Hi all, after much thought and research I've decided to switch over to the original 1972 Atkins diet, at least until the end of the month (~5 weeks) and see where it takes me.

Background: I'm currently on 12th day of Induction (1992 DANDR version). I haven't cheated once, and have dropped 6 pounds so far. That's cool and all, but knowing that most of that is water weight, I feel kind of deflated.

Three main reasons I'm doing this:
1) So much effort, time and money is going into this, that I want to see real results faster, I want that "whoosh". I've heard all the stuff about how slower weight loss is better, blah blah, but I also know first-hand that there's no incentive for keeping at it than seeing those first pounds come off quickly (Dr. Atkins said it himself, but more eloquently).
2) Instinctively, I know my body is extra-resistant to carbs, even vegetables, so I believe I'm at a disadvantage and this is a better beginning point for me.
3) This version is the strictest in terms of avoiding "hidden sugars" (examples: sausage, cold cuts, etc, which I don't think are helping me).

I'm 26 years old, never lost my "baby weight" (son is now 4 1/2). My stats are 5'3 " and current weight = 187 pounds.

My goal weight is 150 pounds. I'd like to lose 20 lbs. (of the 37 I have to lose) before September.

I'm currently in ketosis, and starting today will follow the 1972 "First Week" rules till further notice. I'll update my progress every day here. If anyone wants to join me, more than welcome!
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

LOG: DAY 1

19g TOTAL carbs and 1470 calories

Meals:

B- 7 salami slices, 1 oz Jack cheese, 1 T sour cream
L- 2 hard-boiled eggs, 1 c cucumber slices (peel on), juice of 1 lime
D- 4 oz hamburger, 1 T butter, 1 T mayo, 2 oz Jack cheese and 1 dill picke
S- 1 serving pork rinds

Drank 8 glasses of water and took multivitamin. (I haven't had any health issues on Atkins so far, should mention).

NOTES:
1) The salami slices were obviously before I took the decision to go on this plan! Those are off-limits from now on.
2) I'm not obsessively counting calories (had enough of that in high school), but do want to stay under 1,500/day as much as possible. I'm really short and lazy about exercising, so going over that probably not a good idea.
3) We count total carbs, not net, on 1972 Atkins.
4) LESSON LEARNED: I've been doing a really crappy job of calculating amounts thus far, I realized today. My notion of "1 cup" of vegetables was like 2.5!! Using a measuring cup for everything from now on.

Overall, feel good today!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

LOG: DAY 2

10.2 total carbs and 1280 calories

Meals:
B- nothing
L- 1 cup chicken broth with 1/2 c chayote squash, 1/2 c zucchini and 4 oz boneless, skinless chopped chicken breast
D- 6 oz hamburger, 1 T butter, 1 T mayo, 1 oz Jack cheese, 4 small mushrooms, 2 slices of bacon and 1 dill pickle
S- nothing

Drank 8 glasses of water and took multivitamin.

NOTES:
1) I made the mistake of eating a few jalapeno slices last night and was sick to my stomach this morning. I could only bear having some chicken-vegetable soup. Technically on Week 1 of 1972 Atkins I should only be having "revolution salad" as vegetables, and I had about a cup of squash/chayote. After thinking about this decided I'll still restrict veggies much more than DANDR, but expand repertoire
2) I feel like I've suddenly lost weight, but decided not to weigh myself until Sunday (5 days from now).
Old 08-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

LOG: DAY 3

15 g total carbs and 1300 calories

Meals
B- nothing
L- 6 oz salmon filet (skin on) with 1 T butter, 1/8 c green beans and 1/4 c cauliflower
D- 1/2 c diced tomato, 2 oz grated mozzarella, 1 T parm, 9 black olives, 1 Italian sausage link and 1 T olive oil
S- 2 sticks sugarless gum (sorbitol)

Drank 8 glasses of water

NOTES: wanted to cheat, very much. Eating more allowed veggies than I "should" but that's better than succumbing to carbs I guess.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

LOG: DAY 4

19 g total carbs and 1500 calories

Meals:
B- 2 cheddar cheese sticks, 2 T sunflower seeds
L- chicken salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomato, avocado, broccoli, 2 slices bacon, cauliflower), 2 T blue cheese dressing and1 T olive oil
D- 6 oz 90% beef patty, 1 T butter, 1 T mayo, 1 t yellow mustard, 1 oz Jack cheese and 20 dill pickle chips
S- 1 stick of gum (sorbitol) and 1 Coke Light (aspartame)

NOTES: I've now been on Atkins for 15 total days -- and 4 days 1972ish, keeping calorie intake under 1,500/day and controlling vegetable intake. I'm really frustrated today, because after days of feeling skinny today my stomach is all pouchy -- and I haven't bloated since I started. If it keeps up, going straight back to Induction (and hardcore). I don't think I'm doing a stellar job these last 2 days...yesterday I ate 3g carb Italian sausage, today I had a diet soda and both days, 2 sticks of sugarless gum. I also should be eating less allowed veggies IMO, but I love them so it's tough!

The good news: for the first time doing Atkins, this is starting to feel like a normal, (pretty ) easily sustainable lifestyle. That is so powerful.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/25/13
"The good news: for the first time doing Atkins, this is starting to feel like a normal, (pretty ) easily sustainable lifestyle. That is so powerful."

I couldn't agree more - very well said! It feels great to be on this plan, and it's not very hard to manage. I can't even imagine going back to eating tons of carbs! I hope you continue to feel bood and enjoy it.

I think you're doing great! I certainly have days where I feel a little bloaty. Maybe cutting back on veggies will help, as you say. I think I will take your cue and cut back on mine too. Sometimes they are hard to resist tho!
10Poppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Here I am crawling back...

I went off-diet for a WEEK. On Friday I gave into cheating urges, and then the weekend happened, and then an incredibly stressful work week where I couldn't allocate any brain cells to getting back on track. All very lame excuses. I've felt miserable physically (bloated, GI track issues, de-energized) and so guilty that I couldn't even enjoy the carb-y food.

In an odd way, even though I feel really bad about derailing my weightloss efforts for a week (plus the 2-3 days it'll take to get back into ketosis), I feel happy that I can recognize that I feel *so* much better on a low-carb plan and that I'm not giving up (for once!).

Restarting Induction as of today...
Old 08-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Poppies View Post
"The good news: for the first time doing Atkins, this is starting to feel like a normal, (pretty ) easily sustainable lifestyle. That is so powerful."

I couldn't agree more - very well said! It feels great to be on this plan, and it's not very hard to manage. I can't even imagine going back to eating tons of carbs! I hope you continue to feel bood and enjoy it.

I think you're doing great! I certainly have days where I feel a little bloaty. Maybe cutting back on veggies will help, as you say. I think I will take your cue and cut back on mine too. Sometimes they are hard to resist tho!
Poppies -- thanks for your words...unfortunately I weakly gave into cheating impulses and have now set myself back 10 days But the important thing is that I'm back, have stocked my kitchen full of lc foods and not disappearing from the forums. I guess.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Food log for today:

B- nothing (I hate breakfast by the way!)
L- 2 hardboiled eggs, 1 dill pickle, 1 slice of Jack cheese
D- sautéed chicken breast with creamy (HWC) mushroom sauce and buttery cauliflower
S- 1/2 c diced tomato, 1 T olive oil, 1 Italian sausage link, 2 oz mozzarella and 1 T parmesan
S- 2 T sunflower seeds

Right now, as you can see, I'm not that fussed about counting calories, restricting veggies and so on right now. What I really care about is eating moderate protein/lots of fat, and detoxing from carb binging as painlessly as possible.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Oops forgot to add up carb content for yesterday -- about 19 net carb
Old 08-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Food log for today:
B- nil
L- 2 c buttered cauliflower with bacon/1 slice Jack cheese melted on top, and chicken burger patty (ground chicken, egg and parmesan cheese) with mayo
D- roasted chicken, skin-on. Maybe avocado
S- Bunless, ketchup-less double quarter pounder

I feel really Induction-fluish today: lack of appetite/nausea, low energy, headache. Hope symptoms improve soon -- I didn't feel this lousy when I started Induction 3 weeks ago!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Felt so good today. And my ketostix are showing trace amounts already.

B- nada
L- chicken salad (shredded chicken, 2 pieces bacon, 1 celery stalk, 1 T mayo, 1 T horseradish sauce, 1 T lime juice + 1/2 fresh diced tomato with. 2 oz mozzarella, 1 T parmesan and 1 T olive oil
S- 1/2 Atkins cranberry-almond bar
S- 1 cup cauliflower, 1/2 c broccoli with 2 T ranch dressing + 1/2 all-beef brat + 1 c pork rinds
D- 4 oz hamburger patty, 2 T butter, 1 oz cream cheese, 1/2 c sautéed mushrooms, 1 cheddar slice, 2 pieces thick-cut bacon + 3 dill pickle spears

A *very* snacky day. Hope hunger tapers off soon, because I'm a total Induction cliché!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Finally, loss of appetite! Had great experience eating out with husband today...didn't feel deprived at all.

I do feel more bloated than I'd like And headache-y.

B- rien
L- Mexican clear tomato soup (reckon carb equivalent to at least 1 fresh tomato) with shredded chicken, 1/2 avocado, 2 oz mozzarella, 2 T sour cream
D- "naked" buffalo chicken drumsticks, 2 T ranch dressing dressing, 1 celery stick
S- maybe some pork rinds or some dill pickle spears
Old 08-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Still felt bloated and headache-y today, but fine. Proud that I'm in control again. Looking forward to the future -- and feeling less and less like this is a temporary fix, but a wayof living.

B- 15 almonds, mozzarella string cheese stick
L- Grilled chicken salad: lettuce, cucumber, tomato wedges, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers. 2 T ranch dressing
D- 1/2 diced tomato, 1 c mushrooms, 10 black olives, mozzarella string cheese stick, 1 T parmesan, 1 T olive oil
S- 1 "naked" buffalo chicken drummette
Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

There's a scary amount of views of this thread, and I think at this point I have some explaining about why this is in the 1972 forum. I am obviously not following the Atkins 1972 version religiously (I'm too much of a vegetable addict, and I'm counting net carbs instead of total). What I do have in common with that plan, and why I think I lean more to the 1972 side than any other Atkins version:
1) Veggies/cheese/nuts/HWC aren't a free-for-all. In later versions of Atkins, I really believe that the variety and amount allowed of these foods is inflated to appeal to skeptical health professionals/mainstream dieters dismayed by the idea of steak and eggs alone
2) No LC "junk", and by that I include imitation home-cooked recipes. I would rather be fully aware and accepting that I am in fact eating a protein with a small salad or serving of legal vegetables, not cauliflower-crust "pizza". This is also driven in part by the fact that I live in a 3rd world country where the notion of "low-fat" diets has barely permeated. We're light years away from any sort of awareness of low-carb, and therefore almost zero special LC products are available.

And that's it. These are deeply personal views that are built out of my own experience. I don't apply these notions or parameters to anyone else!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Feeling better and better, and mostly appetite-less during the day. I'm doing most of my eating at night, which I think is cool because I'm probably going to end up experimenting with IF at some point (yes, already thinking ahead to "tweaks").

B- 1 beef SF sausage, 2 dill pickle spears and 1 mozzarella string cheese
L- nothing
D- 2 cups loosely packed salad: lettuce, radishes, cucumber and black olives with 2 T ranch dressing
1 cup raw (blanched) cauliflower and broccoli with 2 T ranch dip
Bunless cheeseburger with 1 slice cheddar cheese and 1 T mayonnaise
Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Pretty good day.

B- 2 T sunflower seeds, 2 mozzarella cheese strings
L- salmon salad (2 c mixed greens, 1/2 c raw mushrooms, 1/2 avocado, 1 T capers) with balsamic vinegar and olive oil). (Ridiculously good!)
D- 1/4 roast chicken with skin, 1 c cabbage slaw with 1 T lime juice and 1 T hot sauce

I seem to be averaging about 12-14 net carbs per day. Feel satiated.

No headaches today, but shin pains (been bad about taking vitamins).
Old 08-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karai
Stats: 262/148/140
WOE: BFC-raw eating
Start Date: June 2013
I didn't realize how sensitive my body is to certain carbs until I starting doing LC. Now, I would not go back to eating HC. It is not worth the agony.
Karai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karai View Post
I didn't realize how sensitive my body is to certain carbs until I starting doing LC. Now, I would not go back to eating HC. It is not worth the agony.
No kidding! I felt sick almost every day doing HC.

Thanks for posting!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday's food log:

B- 1 all-beef frankfurter, 1 mozzarella cheese string, 3 dill pickle spears
L- 1 cup coffee with 1 T HWC and 2 drops liquid sucralose
D- 1/4 roast chicken (skin-on) with 1 cup cabbage slaw (dressing: 2 tb hot sauce, 2 T lime juice, 2 tb white vinegar. SO. GOOD)
S- 2nd cup of coffee with 1 T HWC and 2 drops liquid sucralose, 25 pistachios
S- Medium cooked artichoke with butter and mayo-soy sauce dipping sauce

Note: I'm now drinking coffee again. I'll try to take it easy with the sweetener. For the first time, this is an application where I don't mind it.nit actually tastes good.

Yesterday I put on a clingy nightgown (usually wear billowy stuff) and oh my God, the weightloss was so apparent, at least to me -- in my waist, back and legs.

I'm officially one week of clean low-carb (no cheats) since my stupid carb vacation, and have decided not to weigh myself for another week.

Been doing better about remembering to take my vitamin.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Lots of energy today. Cleaned the house and cooked dinner in less than an hour. Tested moderate ketones (don't do this every day, but curious about the sucralose I've added).

Noticed how...bonier? Less fleshy? my legs were when I was putting on moisturizer this morning

B- 1 cup (very strong) coffee with 1 T HWC and 3 drops sucralose
L- Bunless, ketchupless McD double quarter pounder with 1 T ranch dressing
D- Homemade sopa azteca (fresh tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, garlic with homemade chicken broth, all LC). Shredded chicken, half an avocado, 1 oz mozzarella, 2 T sour cream
S- 2 T sunflower seeds
Old 08-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Great progress! Keep it up! When I hit 213 (from a high of 330), my husband commented that my hip felt 'bony' when I was lying down...and I had knees and knee 'pits' (as my 5 year old used to call them).
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Great progress! Keep it up! When I hit 213 (from a high of 330), my husband commented that my hip felt 'bony' when I was lying down...and I had knees and knee 'pits' (as my 5 year old used to call them).
it!!
Old 08-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Went off-plan yesterday...just felt like having a date with my husband without making a ton of menu substitutions or interrogating the waiter. I wasn't feeling out of control or even tempted, it's hard to explain -- just didn't want to be a "weird" dining companion for once, even though he's never asked me not to be. It's not good, but happy because I automatically just came right back to LC without "making myself". LC is definitely my new normal, carbs are infrequent treat days. But do want to go an entire 3 weeks without cheating from now on, b/c definitely sabotaging short-term weightloss.

As always after having carbs, unusually snacky. Pork skins and move on (getting that tatto'ed one of these days).

Today:

B- black coffee with 3 drops liquid sucralose
L- skin-on salmon steak with 1/3 avocado, butter, olive oil and vinegar, a few sips of light ginger ale
D- chicken sopa azteca, 1/2 avocado, 1 mozzarella cheese string and 2 T sour cream. The soup probably equals 1 tomato, 1/4 c onion, 1/4 c bell pepper and 1 garlic clove
S- 1 c pork skins

Last edited by Olive; 08-26-2013 at 05:57 PM..
Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday's log:

B- 25 almonds, 1 mozzarella string cheese stick
L- salmon salad: 2 c mixed greens, 1/2 c raw mushrooms, 1 avocado, 1 T capers, 2 T balsamic vinegar and olive oil (I never thought that combo would taste so good without sugar or honey)
D- 2 roast chicken drumsticks, skin-on, 1 c shredded cabbage and sliced cucumbers, 1 T lemon juice, 1 T vinegar, 1/4 c cauliflower, 1/4 c green beans

Feel really small these days. But still so snack-y after my carb day on Sunday.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Very, very stressful day today. Did my best.

B- 1 all-beef frankfurter fried in butter, 1 slice cheddar cheese and 3 small dill pickles
L- chicken salad: 1/2 c cucumbers, 1/2 tomato, 1/2 avocado, 12 black olives and 2 T of Brianna's Sugar-Free French Vinaigrette with 1 drop of liquid sucralose to spruce up dressing
D- 1/2 c cooked cauliflower converted into rice (SO GOOD. Never had it before) with 1/2 c chicken Alfredo sauce (reckon 1/2 c HWC, 1 oz cream cheese, 2 T parmesan, 1 garlic clove equivalent, a scattering of diced onion)
S - Coffee with 1 T HWC and 2 Splenda packets
S - 4 T sunflower seeds

In short, went above 20 net carbs today, which is rare for me. Adds up to about 22.

Tomorrow's goal: high fat and very low carb.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Today was an equally stressful day. Staying on plan no matter what.

Worried that the Atkins bar might stall me. No more of those -- tasted awful, anyway.

B- 1 c coffee w/ 1 T HWC & 2 packets of Splenda, 1 Atkins Cranberry-Almond bar
L- jumbo shrimp in garlic butter sauce, 1/2 c green beans, 1/2 c zucchini, 1 glass of Coke Zero
D- 1 c cauliflower (converted to rice), beef stroganoff (1 c raw mushrooms, 1 garlic clove, 1/3 c HWC, 2 T butter & 1 T parmesan cheese))
S- 2 c loosely packed romaine salad with smoked salmon, 1 T capers & 1/3 avocado & 2 olive oil-balsamic vinaigrette
S- 1 c coffee w/ 2 packets of Splenda
Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

15 pounds down in a month!!! THANK YOU ATKINS!!!!!

I accomplished this even with a week of cheating and another cheat day after that...who knows what I can do now if I really do extremely low carb/high fat and maybe throw some exercise in??

Feeling so motivated!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/25/13
Olive, I really appreciate your posts here. I'm fascinated by your comment about why you are not doing "fake" foods:

Quote:
imitation home-cooked recipes. I would rather be fully aware and accepting that I am in fact eating a protein with a small salad or serving of legal vegetables, not cauliflower-crust "pizza".
that's very interesting point. Maybe it's easier psychologically to fully give up the things you can't have, rather than trying to find workarounds to get them back. Interesting. having said that, some of those imitation recipes are awfully good. But I appreciate what you are saying here. I am starting to think I would be happier just eating bacon and eggs every morning, and a steak every night, no frills, no trying new recipes, no worrying about missing something
10Poppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Poppies View Post
Olive, I really appreciate your posts here. I'm fascinated by your comment about why you are not doing "fake" foods:

that's very interesting point. Maybe it's easier psychologically to fully give up the things you can't have, rather than trying to find workarounds to get them back. Interesting. having said that, some of those imitation recipes are awfully good. But I appreciate what you are saying here. I am starting to think I would be happier just eating bacon and eggs every morning, and a steak every night, no frills, no trying new recipes, no worrying about missing something
My one exception to the "imitation" stuff is cauliflower rice. OMG that stuff is so good.

But yeah, you won't see me making messes with almond flour and flax trying to recreate "dumplings" or something. Just not worth it. Would rather accept that I'm eating what I'm eating and then eat sinful, real versions of carbs on cheat days (which hoping will be fewer and farther between from now on).

I so appreciate your posts, too. We're all alone in here