Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Sleepy
Beginning Atkins

i've been doing hcg for the past couple of years, my hubby wants to get on Atkins and i also will follow the plan but for the life of me cannot remember much about it anymore but stay under 20 carbs
what book do you suggest getting and following?
anyone have a plan outline you can list?
sample induction meals?
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #2

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Re read the book. Start out with meat, eggs, and two servings of low carb vegetables a day. Cauliflower is always a good choice. Look at the recipes. Oppsie rolls are very easy to make and can be eaten on induction. I even make them without cream cheese.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #3

Gallery: Sleepy
what book now there is a bunch of different one, i dont want the revolution one i want the first atkins books
i did Atkins for years & years.....funny i cant remember anything!
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
i've been doing hcg for the past couple of years, my hubby wants to get on Atkins and i also will follow the plan but for the life of me cannot remember much about it anymore but stay under 20 carbs
what book do you suggest getting and following?
anyone have a plan outline you can list?
sample induction meals?
My personal favorite is Atkins '72 (which you can still get on Amazon). I think it's a simpler and cleaner version...and before some of them that were ruined by the corporation that bought him out. The same corporation that owns Cinnabon).

Atkins '72 key points:
  • Only protein (no shellfish) and low carb vegies (usually green and non-starchy)
  • Induction for 2 weeks - carbs are below 20
  • Limit bacon to as many eggs as you're eating. For example, 2 eggs, only 2 slices of bacon
  • Limited to 4 oz of *hard* cheese per day

In addition, what worked for me...
  • I would use one of the online food calculators to record what you eat to make sure you're taking the hidden carbs (e.g. eggs) into account.
  • I would not focus on losing weight during the first 2 weeks. Great if you do (and probably will), but you have enough on your plate with the carb withdrawal.
  • Do not deviate. Even one bite of a carby food can set you back a week. You want to get into ketosis for that appetite suppression effect.
  • Eat clean. Avoid the processed low carb stuff even after induction, for as long as you can. Even though they're low carb, they're still higher carb than you want/need if you want to lose weight.

Happy Journey!

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Oh...and ditch the ketostix. They are a more accurate measure of whether you're drinking enough water than they are of ketosis. I drink 64 fl oz a day, am always in ketosis and the sticks aren't even light purple.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Spesh
Stats: 229 / 225 / 160
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 7/24/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
My personal favorite is Atkins '72 (which you can still get on Amazon). I think it's a simpler and cleaner version...and before some of them that were ruined by the corporation that bought him out. The same corporation that owns Cinnabon).

Atkins '72 key points:
  • Only protein (no shellfish) and low carb vegies (usually green and non-starchy)
  • Induction for 2 weeks - carbs are below 20
  • Limit bacon to as many eggs as you're eating. For example, 2 eggs, only 2 slices of bacon
  • Limited to 4 oz of *hard* cheese per day

In addition, what worked for me...
  • I would use one of the online food calculators to record what you eat to make sure you're taking the hidden carbs (e.g. eggs) into account.
  • I would not focus on losing weight during the first 2 weeks. Great if you do (and probably will), but you have enough on your plate with the carb withdrawal.
  • Do not deviate. Even one bite of a carby food can set you back a week. You want to get into ketosis for that appetite suppression effect.
  • Eat clean. Avoid the processed low carb stuff even after induction, for as long as you can. Even though they're low carb, they're still higher carb than you want/need if you want to lose weight.

Happy Journey!

Oh man, I'm sad to read your 'no shellfish'! I thought I would be able to eat shrimp? Also, I thought I was limited to only 2 cups of loosely packed lettuce per day. Is that incorrect? Can I eat veggies as long as they are non-starchy and I stay under my 20g a day?

I would LOVE to be able to eat cauliflower, broccoli and zucchini!

I think I may need to go find this darn book.
Spesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I was under the impression "if it had a mother, you can eat it." So I don't understand the shellfish restriction on '72. I know it is allowed in copious amounts on DANDR. I also didn't know about the limited bacon. I thought rule #1 was to fill up on bacon and eggs in the morning. 2 slices of bacon is also open to interpretation. The pre-cooked Oscar Meyer or Hormel stuff is PAPER thin. But Wright thick cut bacon...that is a much more manly, filling bacon.

Spesh- I really, really don't think broccoli and zucchini would set you back, even on the strictest version of Atkins induction you can find. That's just my personal opinion but I don't see how that could sabotage you. I say, eat it and enjoy.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: arb34
Stats: 222/197.8/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: restarted 1/2/2014
Oh no!! I didn't know about the shrimp either!!! That's what I had last night Also didn't know about the bacon/egg limit.... I got the book and have been reading it but haven't gotten more than 1/2 way through so have been trying to go by things I have read on here. Maybe that is why I am down one day and up the next. Sure gets frustrating!!!
Aomiel, please tell us of any thing else that we may be doing wrong and I am going to have to put my nose in that book!!!
arb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I just pulled out my book to make sure I was remembering correctly. Sorry...shrimp is allowed. Oysters, clams, mussels, scallops and pickled fish are not.

No cream cheese or spreads...only 4 oz of hard cheese.

On Induction: 2 small green salads each day made only of leafy greens, celery, cucumbers or radishes. After that, the list expands.

I have to admit that I ate 2 cups of 'salad' at each meal.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/129.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I don't remember ever reading the bacon restriction either. That's one rule I definitely don't follow! LOL. I LOVE bacon and will often just have 5-6 pieces of bacon for breakfast.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
I really, really don't think broccoli and zucchini would set you back, even on the strictest version of Atkins induction you can find. That's just my personal opinion but I don't see how that could sabotage you. I say, eat it and enjoy.
But Atkins doesn't on his '72 version...and that is what is being asked about.

I struggled with later versions of Atkins because I didn't get that appetite suppression effect nearly as quickly as I do on the '72 version...and I'm going to guess it's because it's stricter. Other people do better with DANDR. It's what *you* can stick with.

Years ago I saw an interview with Dr. Atkins and they asked why he made changes to his original plan and was it because he realized it wasn't working. I think they were trying trip him up, but I remember him responding with, "It works well, but many people find it too restrictive so he changed it somewhat, allowing more variety earlier on."

I would be careful about some of the newer books. They were not written by Dr. Atkins but were written by a corporation intent on selling products...not making people healthier.

Note on bacon: I'm looking for the bacon comment that I'm remembering and will post page when I find it. A few other points Atkins makes in his book. This is not an all you can stuff in your face diet as the media has tried to portray it. Atkins says...

Eat only when you're hungry. Don't eat when you aren't hungry. Eat only as much as you need to stop the hunger.

Several decades ago I saw a show supposedly taking an unbiased (right ) view at Atkins diet. They interviewed a man who said he ate a dozen eggs and a whole pound of bacon every morning for breakfast. I would argue that he was not following Atkins. Nobody *needs* that much food unless they're eating to their cravings or they equate 'stuffed' with no longer hungry. So learn to recognize hunger vs cravings...and don't try to cut your fats. They're what will help you during those first two weeks particularly.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Quote:
But Atkins doesn't on his '72 version...and that is what is being asked about.

I struggled with later versions of Atkins because I didn't get that appetite suppression effect nearly as quickly as I do on the '72 version...and I'm going to guess it's because it's stricter. Other people do better with DANDR. It's what *you* can stick with.

Years ago I saw an interview with Dr. Atkins and they asked why he made changes to his original plan and was it because he realized it wasn't working. I think they were trying trip him up, but I remember him responding with, "It works well, but many people find it too restrictive so he changed it somewhat, allowing more variety earlier on."

I would be careful about some of the newer books. They were not written by Dr. Atkins but were written by a corporation intent on selling products...not making people healthier.

Note on bacon: I'm looking for the bacon comment that I'm remembering and will post page when I find it. A few other points Atkins makes in his book. This is not an all you can stuff in your face diet as the media has tried to portray it. Atkins says...

Eat only when you're hungry. Don't eat when you aren't hungry. Eat only as much as you need to stop the hunger.

Several decades ago I saw a show supposedly taking an unbiased (right ) view at Atkins diet. They interviewed a man who said he ate a dozen eggs and a whole pound of bacon every morning for breakfast. I would argue that he was not following Atkins. Nobody *needs* that much food unless they're eating to their cravings or they equate 'stuffed' with no longer hungry. So learn to recognize hunger vs cravings...and don't try to cut your fats. They're what will help you during those first two weeks particularly.
I love your post! So many people, doctor's and organizations have so tried to undermine this program...it is not a NO carb diet and it isn't an "eat all the bacon you want" diet. Thank you for your input!
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for all your input, Melody! I'm happy that shrimp are allowed! For these first two weeks, I'll stick to it as listed and just do the "2 cups of lettuce". I'll add other veggies later on.

Thanks again. I really need to get that book. Is there any way you can post a pic of the cover?
Old 07-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gibby,
I agree. People who slam Atkins as 'unhealthy' have obviously never read his book.

Still looking for that bacon link. This is really beginning to bother me now because I remember that bummed me out when I first started this back in 1972.

There are several reasons I can think of for limiting your bacon though. First, it does contain some carbs (hidden carbs) and they can add up...particularly if you're trying to do induction. They're also high fat and, again, can add up quickly. Atkins said if you're following his diet correctly and you aren't losing weight (or worse, gaining), look first to your fats because you're probably overdoing it.

This is why I think it's so important to log what you eat. You can go back and look at the numbers and have a place to start when you need to tweak.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Spesh,
I can't figure out how to do this and I can't link to Amazon (I think). Just go to Amazon and type in Atkins 1972 and it will pull up a few books. The one you want is copyrighted in 1972 and has a picture of him sitting at his desk. Just look at the copyright date.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Ahh, the desk! I know which one you're talking about now. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

I know what I'm doing tonight...reading the Atkins book again <muttering about that bacon comment has to be here somewhere otherwise I've deprived myself for 40 years>.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Limiting bacon isn't a bad thing to do...it is high in salt and nitrates. I'm just thankful we can have some.

Spesh, I love your avitar

Last edited by Gibby; 07-25-2013 at 03:14 PM..
Old 07-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins (Induction)
Start Date: 1/14/2014 (again)
I've just finished reading the Atkins Diet Revolution book (not Atkins NEW Diet Revolution) and it specifically says in Ch. 12 when talking about "the first life-changing week" for allowable meats, it lists "steaks; corned beef; lamb chops; tongue; hamburgers; bacon; Any kind of meat in any quantity--except meat with fillers such as sausage, hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged cold cuts."

I have looked through the book again and have not seen anything limiting bacon at all. It may still be a good thing to limit (if you want), as someone has said, Dr. Atkins does recommend to eat only when hungry, and keeping nitrates and such in mind, but not necessary or required to Atkins '72.

Proud mom of:
Jessica-23; Brooke-10; Kaitlyn-9; David-5; Sarina-3

Proud grandma of:
Ian-5 and Ethan-3

brooke&kaitlynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

I finished the book last night and can't find the comment on bacon...and it is sooo ingrained into my head and I can't figure out why since there was no internet around and he wasn't giving interviews back in '72...but I've been limiting the bacon since I bought the book.

Maybe I'll read it again...
Old 07-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I finished the book last night and can't find the comment on bacon...and it is sooo ingrained into my head and I can't figure out why since there was no internet around and he wasn't giving interviews back in '72...but I've been limiting the bacon since I bought the book.

Maybe I'll read it again...
Or eat more bacon
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gibby, I wish! Do you know how much sodium is in one slice of bacon? They recommend 1500mg of sodium for someone my age (or at the top end 2300 for the under 50 crowd) and there's 400+ in just one slice.

Since I'm having a tough time holding about 4-5 pounds of fluids, more bacon (ha! no bacon lately) is off the menu for me.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

I think you were better off limiting it all those years. Who needs all those nitrates and all that sodium?!

That said, I'm only 3 days in and I still have an unopened package of bacon in my fridge. What is wrong with me? LOL I tend to use it more as a flavoring (like with my veggies) rather than eating it by the piece.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Gibby, I wish! Do you know how much sodium is in one slice of bacon? They recommend 1500mg of sodium for someone my age (or at the top end 2300 for the under 50 crowd) and there's 400+ in just one slice.

Since I'm having a tough time holding about 4-5 pounds of fluids, more bacon (ha! no bacon lately) is off the menu for me.

I was kidding you As I mentioned earlier, limiting bacon isn't all bad.