Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/25/13
B: bacon eggs
L: mexican style pork roast on a taco salad: hold the taco shell, chips, cheese, and sour cream...but double the guac
D1: salmon cakes drizzled with dill-seasoned mayonnaise.
D2: mushrooms stuffed with italian seasoned cream cheese, chipped pepperoni, mozzarella. Diet iced tea

that's right peeps...two dinners. Apparently, I'm becoming a hobbit. (I'm probably the only one who's nerdy enough to get that reference.)
10Poppies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Poppies View Post
B: bacon eggs
L: mexican style pork roast on a taco salad: hold the taco shell, chips, cheese, and sour cream...but double the guac
D1: salmon cakes drizzled with dill-seasoned mayonnaise.
D2: mushrooms stuffed with italian seasoned cream cheese, chipped pepperoni, mozzarella. Diet iced tea

that's right peeps...two dinners. Apparently, I'm becoming a hobbit. (I'm probably the only one who's nerdy enough to get that reference.)
Low-carb elevensies

I still haven't made taco-less taco salad!! So dumb.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Low-carb elevensies
ha ha! Thanks for that. And yes, taco-less salad is a good one
Old 09-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
Taco shell-less taco salad.

This tends to be my typical weekday menu. Weekends it's bacon and eggs for breakfast. Usually nothing for lunch, maybe a shake, and dinner is a bunless burger or grilled chicken and a salad.

B: BPC (butter, coconut oil). Protein shake (Two eggs, unsweetened almond milk, cottage cheese, chia seeds, rest of ingredients vary with SF syrups. Can be pumpkin, or natural peanut butter, cocoa powder).

L: Blueberry tea with butter, tuna salad (mayo, hb egg) or chicken salad (mayo, shaved almonds) or sf deli turkey meat and a cheesestick or two.

S: Coffee w/cream

D: Burger or tuna patties or (less often) hot dogs, salad (lettuce, hb egg, avocado, feta cheese, Ranch dressing), and/or roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts). If we have veggies, I go with one cup salad. If not, I'll have my two cups of salad at dinner.

Some days I'll have a few pumpkin seeds, or cheesecake in a bowl for a snack.

Like Olive, this is more Atkins '72ish, making sure my carbs stay around 20. I'm also keeping half an eye on my calories, so I measure things out. But goodness, one would think going from 300+ carbs a day, down to around 40, now down to 20 would herald some results!

I'm constantly in the "moderate" range on the stix and I've even upped my water this week and am still in that range. I did what Dr. Atkins suggested in his book and tested four times yesterday. I hung in the "small" range (which is when I'm drinking water the most), at noon and after I got home from work. Other two times, (morning, evening) "moderate". I like my stix! They keep me motivated! Oh and my pee smells strong.

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!

Last edited by vanilla_latte; 09-27-2013 at 01:22 PM..
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

OK, I don't get it either. Maybe some of us simply lose a lot slower??? All I can think to suggest is to start cutting things out one by one and maybe one of the things you're consuming regularly might be causing a stall. Can someone be sensitive to a certain food and not realize it?

Don't give up Vanilla! Keep working at it and something will break for you You are doing such a great job at this, and you have an awesome attitude. It's really going to work itself out somehow. There is a solution somewhere...keep experimenting!

Perplexity is the beginning of knowledge.
Khalil Gibran
Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

B: sausage and bacon
L: crock pot spicy pork roast and half avocado
D: more pork topped with cheese, on top of salad: lettuce, cheese & ranch. caffeine free iced tea.

30 mins yoga (Sadie Nardini's Badass 30 Min Yoga flow on Youtube. If anyone else is into yoga, Nardini is totally awwwesome! )
Old 09-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Taco shell-less taco salad.

This tends to be my typical weekday menu. Weekends it's bacon and eggs for breakfast. Usually nothing for lunch, maybe a shake, and dinner is a bunless burger or grilled chicken and a salad.

B: BPC (butter, coconut oil). Protein shake (Two eggs, unsweetened almond milk, cottage cheese, chia seeds, rest of ingredients vary with SF syrups. Can be pumpkin, or natural peanut butter, cocoa powder).

L: Blueberry tea with butter, tuna salad (mayo, hb egg) or chicken salad (mayo, shaved almonds) or sf deli turkey meat and a cheesestick or two.

S: Coffee w/cream

D: Burger or tuna patties or (less often) hot dogs, salad (lettuce, hb egg, avocado, feta cheese, Ranch dressing), and/or roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts). If we have veggies, I go with one cup salad. If not, I'll have my two cups of salad at dinner.

Some days I'll have a few pumpkin seeds, or cheesecake in a bowl for a snack.

Like Olive, this is more Atkins '72ish, making sure my carbs stay around 20. I'm also keeping half an eye on my calories, so I measure things out. But goodness, one would think going from 300+ carbs a day, down to around 40, now down to 20 would herald some results!

I'm constantly in the "moderate" range on the stix and I've even upped my water this week and am still in that range. I did what Dr. Atkins suggested in his book and tested four times yesterday. I hung in the "small" range (which is when I'm drinking water the most), at noon and after I got home from work. Other two times, (morning, evening) "moderate". I like my stix! They keep me motivated! Oh and my pee smells strong.
If I were you, I'd try sticking to the stricter '72 version for a couple weeks. The ingredients in the breakfast shake could be stalling. And try to cut out dairy and sweeteners for a while...it'll be worth it to see a change on the scale, which you want very badly. My 2 cents: you're in ketosis, doing fantastic, even if there's no change in the scale right now you're still doing something wonderful for your body by eating LC.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Vanilla, I agree with Olive that maybe the shake is the culprit. There are a few things in there that have stalling potential: almond milk, cottage cheese, the additional ingredients of pumpkin, pb, cocoa, even the SF syrups - those things would be the first things that I'd start cutting. Might be better to have bacon and eggs every morning.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday was clean until late last night. BF made homemade bread. seriously, I simply could not resist it.

The name of the thread is 'Cheat Free Days.' When am I going to get it right?
Old 09-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Today has been very good. right on track.

B: eggs over easy, ham and brussel sprouts
L: cauliflower dipped in garden veggie Phil. cream cheese, diet mt dew
S: microwaved pepperoni "chips", laughing cow cheese
D: will most likely be pork chop, no veg
Old 09-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Poppies View Post
Yesterday was clean until late last night. BF made homemade bread. seriously, I simply could not resist it.

The name of the thread is 'Cheat Free Days.' When am I going to get it right?
Aww.

Your bf sounds amazing btw.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Your bf sounds amazing btw.
Thanks He is amazing at creating temptations, but that is not a good thing right now. He just completed a kitchen renovation, and wants to use it by cooking every good thing he can think of, and he has no interest in low carb. So that's an issue I have to become very conscious of right now, until he settles down a little. He's usually ok with making a plain steak or pork chops, but he also makes all sorts of pasta, soups, and bread too, so there's a lot of temptation when I have dinner at his house
Old 09-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, ladies. Today is the first day by the book, so the unsweetened almond milk and cottage cheese were definitely going to go. I don't have time to fix breakfast which is the reason for the shakes. But, I see no reason to quit having a mid-morning one as long as I stick to things that are on the list and knock out the ones that aren't.

The sweeteners I'd already begun working on. I've been cutting them out of my coffee and using only sf syrups. Before, it was 2 packets of Splenda or Stevia and the syrups.

I guess I'll start my own thread so as not to muddle up yours and Olive's. Thanks, again, for the tips. It'll be interesting to see if doing it by the book gets me some results!

Hang in there, Poppies. Homemade bread has got to be one of the best smells in the world! It's great he cooks - maybe you can bring over the sides you can have and he'll eventually get it. Or give him some low carb recipes to try out?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Vanilla, good luck, I hope it helps!! Thanks to you both for your support.

That bread on Sunday led to a bigger slip on Monday and I blew the whole day.

So yes, I have slipped a bunch of times, but, I still feel that resisting is getting easier and cravings are diminishing, little by little. They say that we didn't put the weight on overnight and we won't lose it overnight either. Likewise, I didn't form these bad eating habits overnight, and they aren't going to change overnight. But gradually, they are shifting...sort of like continental drift; imperceptibly.

I don't think anyone else would notice, but my stomach feels flatter, even if technically it's not, and the rib cage feels bonier. And I'm walking with more striding, less schlumping.

so I have to keep going, cuz it's working!

Today
B: spinach, mushroom, sausage, mozzarella omelet
L: turkey rolled with sesame cabbage and cream cheese
D: chix Caesar salad
S: chix slices fried in butter and dipped in Mayo (good lord, if I wasn't in an Atkins forum, there's no way I'd ever admit to eating that)
Old 10-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Poppies, I slipped up yesterday (Monday) too, but I agree with what you're saying -- even though I wish I never cheat, it's still getting easier and easier to avoid the urge.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Olive = Phoebe. Why can't I remember that?

for not being able to resist the Carb Demon. He is hard to resist. Just keep moving forward!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Here's to staying on track longer and longer, until we stay on permanently.

Today was great:
B chicken salad, coffee/cream
L chicken curry over 1 cup cauliflower rice (the texture I get is more like couscous - but equally awesome!)
D: chicken salad bacon and avocado

Went to a new doc for my check up today. Worried about the diet/weight talk. Readying myself for the lecture on low fat eating. I had already decided I would listen politely and say nothing, rather than argue.

Instead, she began to lecture to me on the benefits of low carb I held up my hand and said "thank goodness you are saying this, because that is what I've been doing and I have no intention of stopping"

She told me not to give up chocolate because "that would just be crazy" - she was kidding, sort of. Now, I know better than to stand on the slippery slope that is chocolate eating, but it's really nice to have someone be cool about it.

As if all that wasn't good enough, she then told me that the guideline for GYN exams has changed and is now 3 years. I was feeling guilty for skipping it last year, but it turns out that I don't have to do that for another year!

I think I hit the doctor jackpot!

She advised me to do more (or any, in my case) cardio, and I would start seeing results. She also recommended some resistance training. So I guess I"ll going back to the weightlifting class. Now I just need to find some form of cardio that isn't too boring/painful/hard on the joints/will cause my bad ankle to swell. I really don't like cardio too much, to be honest...
Old 10-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

That's awesome about your doctor!! Tell her we love her! Hey, there's plenty of chocolate low carb friendly recipes out there. Have you tried the bark? So good for a chocolate fix. I'm a chocoholic. Drowning in it would suit me just fine.

She advised more cardio? I've seen where the weight resistance is more beneficial when you low carb. Makes the muscles use more glucose or something. Although, I know any exercise is good! And you're far better than me - I can't seem to get on the exercise train. I love it when I do it, just can't seem to get started.

You're doing great!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

I liked everything she said up until the "cardio" part! That's bunk!!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
I liked everything she said up until the "cardio" part! That's bunk!!
so, when you say it's bunk are you kidding or being serious? I'm so hoping you have some research that says cardio isn't really necessary, it's just another bs story from the man, like low fat. I don't mind weights and yoga, but I dread cardio.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

I'm sure Phoebe will say she's serious.

Do some googling! I've been trying to remember where I read that weights were better for low carbers as opposed to cardio. I've read/listened to so many things the last couple of weeks that I can't remember who said what, where. When googling, remember to search out any of the reputable low carbers in the community, not the CNN stories that still rave about low-fat!

If you have iTunes, get on there and pull up some Jimmy Moore podcasts (the one where he talks to the experts). I think that is where I heard about the muscles use more glucose if you do resistance or lift weights. Or go to his site, I think his podcasts are on there (transcripts).

And if weights and yoga is what you prefer, just do that! You gotta like whatever you do and if cardio doesn't cut it for you, then don't. Not unless you find something you do. Have you done the WATP tapes?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! yes, I've found a few articles that deal with this issue. Building muscle, they say, burns more calories metabolically, while straight cardio elevates the heart rate, burns calories for the duration of the activity but doesn't do much to build muscle at all. The thinking is that the muscle tone is really important for maintaining posture and all sorts of important bodily functions. Many experts seem to be advocating interval training to do both - raise heart rate for shorter periods, alternated with strength training. I feel this can be accomplished with a vigorous yoga session, or more weight lifting classes offered at the local gym, but there any number of things we can do.

And that we begin losing muscle as we age, so weight resistance is very important to maintain weight and bone density. Since I'm approaching 45, the reality of aging is setting in! I'm very interested in laying down as much of a framework of healthy practices as possible now. Also, at this point in my life, joint stress has become a real issue. A sprained ankle 2 years ago has turned into plantar fasciitis and all sorts of wacky ankle and foot issue. The joints just don't heal as quickly and lay us up for a long time. If you're over a certain age, it's just not worth it

I have a lot more interesting reading to do
Old 10-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

I'm eating a full breakfast before meeting a friend at a breakfast buffet, so I won't be tempted! Does anyone ever do that? Eat a meal before going out to eat?

I think I could be happy eating bacon eggs and avocado every morning forever.

Last edited by 10Poppies; 10-06-2013 at 06:57 AM..
Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Yay on finding those articles! I developed plantar fasciitis a couple of years ago. Finally broke down and bought some Skecher's and I can now walk around barefoot in the house again.

I've not eaten before going out yet. I might eat a snack if I'm not sure or know there won't be much for me to eat. Seems like a breakfast buffet would be perfect for us!

I'm really enjoying my food and love not being hungry!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

My weight thus far has been from a top weight of 234 to my current weight of 225.1. There has been a lot of yo-yoing and a lot of cheats in between. But I'm so inspired by some of the other posters in here today! It can be done.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Today I hit 224.0, a new low. I broke up with my boyfriend this weekend and honestly have been so down that I haven't been eating much. My appetite is zilch, and I've been snacking on pretty much nothing but little pieces of candy. I have slipped in and out of ketosis.

While I'm ready to start feeling better soon, I am actually happy about the weight loss and would prefer to keep the low appetite. I wish there was a way to keep the effects of depression without actually having the depression ha ha!

Well, whatever is meant to be, will be.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #177
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LibbyC
Stats: 256/232/175
WOE: Atkins72
Start Date: September, 2014
So sorry about the breakup, Poppies. My boyfriend and I have been together for 11 years, and no, there's no talk of marriage. Been there, done that, didn't like it.

Lately, we haven't been on the same page, and we've been "taking breaks from each other". Last Saturday, I spent the day on the couch with a chocolate pecan pie and a spoon. I wish I could handle depression with a brisk walk, or a jog, or some yoga...instead of pie.

I keep reminding myself that I've come too far to stop now. I keep falling back into my old habbits whenever I get sad or stressed. I slow myself down.
LibbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Aw, so sorry about the breakup, Poppies.

Congrats on the new low!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Poppies, sorry to hear about you splitting with bf but imagine it's for the better. Also: there is nothing like being single for weightloss motivation...
Old 10-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the comments. Libby, your comment made me smile - right there with you!
I am now back with bf, but with more caution and a little bit of weariness. Maybe should not have gone back...who knows.

After about 10 - 11 days (maybe more) off plan, I'm picking up the sword and going back to battle. The slide started with little cheats here and there for who knows how many days, but justifying it because the sticks were still pink. These trickle into more and more cheats. Throw in some emotional stress and suddenly, I'm just off track and out of control.

Physically I feel awful, and am completely addicted to sweets again. So, I'm not doing any other plan except 72. No paleo or limiting dairy or watching calories. no worrying about coffee or artificial sweeteners. No net or fiber counting. Just plain old ordinary 72. Nothing off plan and anything that's on plan. Gosh I'm tired.