Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/25/13
I'm losing track of my days. I think I'm in the middle of day 3 OWL. I had 2 days of about 30 carbs. Today I'm going back to < 20. I've had only coffee/cream, and a small salad with about 3 oz of tuna salad. Will have a nice big chef salad tonight as I have a bunch of chipped turkey and ham waiting for me at home. Will go light on cheese and dressing.

I will go very low carb tomorrow too.

Spesh, your weigh day is tomorrow, isn't it? Hope you have good news.
10Poppies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: arb34
Stats: 222/197.8/150
Start Date: restarted 1/2/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Poppies View Post
I think you are doing really, really well. .5 to a whole pound per day is a lot. Don't get discouraged when you kicking butt!
Thanks for the encouragement Poppie!! Problem is the other days that there is no loss or in fact a gain....wound up with a 1 lb net loss for all of last week. Thought I was going to get off to a better start for this week until the scale got ugly this morning. I guess my problem is I want this to be a science whereby I can determine what my loss for the day should be based on what I ate the day before and it just doesn't turn out that way so I am constantly second quessing myself and trying to figure out what I can do better..... frustrating!!! But I am going to keep plugging away at it and chipping away what I can.....at least overall I'm slowly going down instead of up, right?
arb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Yes, you're going down, down, down! from I've seen you posting, I don't see how you can do it any better, it seems like you are doing perfectly. I guess our bodies have a schedule of their own. Don't get down on yourself. You are making great progress Just keep going! a pound here, a half pound there. Before you know it, that 80 lbs will be whooped.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

I used to think it took three days for the scale to reflect what I ate or did, or didn't eat or do. If I had a really good workout and ate right, I would see a dip on the scale 3 days later. If I went off plan and ate crap, I would see a rise on the scale about 3 days later. Maybe that's just my imagination...?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

yesterday was day 3 of OWL, doing >20 carbs and after reading about JUDD, I also went very low calorie, and I broke through to a new low on the scale. woo hoo! Today will be normal calorie and less >20 carbs
Old 07-31-2013, 04:51 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: arb34
Stats: 222/197.8/150
Start Date: restarted 1/2/2014
Go Poppie!!! Thanks so much for the kind works!!! I guess after that whine, I'm embarrassed to say that today my scale was my friend!!! Lost what I had 'gained' yesterday along with another lb!!!!
arb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #67
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: idioglossic
Stats: 179/148/140 5'2"
WOE: Stillmans, low carb, low fat, low sodium, 2 meals
Start Date: August 29, 2004/Restart July 28, 2013
Loved reading all of the posts. . . cheat free is the way. . . to thin. . . I am restarting and cheat free for 3 days 3lbs off. . . ah the joy! May I join you? ;-)
idioglossic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Spesh
Stats: 229 / 225 / 160
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 7/24/13
Hello, Hello!

Yes, yesterday was my weigh day and while I was hoping for a huge whoosh, I was "only" greeted with a 3.5# loss. I surely thought it would be more than that for my first week, but oh well. I think I need to ditch the cheese for this coming week and see what happens.

I'm taking my niece and nephew to the zoo on Monday and I have no idea what I'm going to eat. Burger with no bun, I suppose?
Spesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Hi Idioglossic, so nice to have you aboard! Welcome!! I hope you can share some of your wisdom with the rest of us!!

Spesh, 3.5 is pretty good, nothing to sneeze at. Plus maybe your scale was tipping high today and tomorrow it might tip low. I know mine goes up and down every day, because I obsessively weigh every morning. But as long as it has an overall trend downward, you're good!

for the zoo, a burger should be a good solution. Or maybe they will have hot dogs? I have idea what standard zoo fare is these days, it's been so long since I've been to one

Arbie, congrats!! way to go. I knew you would see some results sooner or later! Keep going!!

I have to confess, I did not stick to my >20 plan today, I indulged in corn on the cob at dinner. I think I'm still in my OWL limits, but technically it's a cheat, since I really wanted to do a couple days of >20. (I wanted to try at least two days at >20, and then one or two days at 30. to see if alternating would get the metabolism moving. It makes me mad when I can't stick to my plan, how am I supposed to know if the plan works, if I keep cheating? Well back to >20 tomorrow.

Last edited by 10Poppies; 07-31-2013 at 09:34 PM..
Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Wow Idioglossic I just looked at your woe, and you are doing low fat and low carb - is it hard to stick to that? I'm very impressed.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Spesh
Stats: 229 / 225 / 160
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 7/24/13
Don't beat yourself up over having the corn on the cob! That's better than having a piece of cake for dessert!
Spesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Thanks spesh. I guess I will claim it as Day 4 OWL complete.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

confession time: I cheated...bad. I cheated a little one day, then a little more the next, then more for a 3rd straight day.

I have been over all the decisions I made, feelings I had and circumstances that led to this bender, and I am thinking there is a lot of value in keeping your food choices to things that you enjoy, things that make you feel satisfied, and even allow you to feel you're indulging or pampering yourself. Depriving ourselves and forcing ourselves to eat stuff we hate doesn't work. There is backlash, and it might be in the form of cheating.

The good news is somehow I came away from this with a little bit of a loss - go figure!

I am starting over with induction yesterday.

Day 1 complete. And smiling
Old 08-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Day 2 induction complete
Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Hi Poppies, just wanted to drop by and say good going! I also have begun to believe that it's better to let yourself have your fave allowed foods, even if it's not as strict as you'd like, as opposed to risking cheating. I just wish I could have more strict days in a week but oh well
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

8 days of induction. Admittedly not perfectly done, but pretty darn close. No more weight lost. ugh. not happy.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Hi Poppies -- I know how annoying it is to not lose weight after being "good" for a week. What I try to tell myself (and have even started believing lately) is that every day I eat clean is a gift to my health, weightloss or not...
Old 08-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Yes, Olive, you are very right! It's still good for us.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

I fell off the wagon 2 weeks ago and never got back on! I've just had a big old streak of off plan eating. I feel so yucky, tired, unhealthy, skin is looking bad...bleah. I am really looking forward to being back on plan again, but of course I'm all full of sweets cravings now.

The first step has been to focus on nutrition, taking regular supplements and eating more greens, squash, and nutrient dense foods, since all the white flour and processed things offer so little nutrition. Today I'll eliminate carb heavy foods and do my best to stay low-moderate carb. Tomorrow I'll go back to induction level low carb. I'm inching into induction!

It's possible that I got in trouble with JUDDD (which is alternating up days of normal calories with down days of low calories). Maybe I tried it too soon, and maybe tried to go too low in calories on the down days. I began to feel really stressed on the down days and after a week of that, I fell off the wagon completely. I guess I should go talk to the folks in the JUDDD group about it. I would like to practice alternating calorie intake at some level, but obviously I really need to be careful with it. For now, I'm not going to try it. Maybe in a couple of months when I'm really firmly low carb and more confident.

This time I will avoid stressing myself about food. I'll do my best to stick to clean meals, organic and nutritious, but if I need to eat something, I'll eat it. For example, I'm a little bit lactose intolerant, so should avoid dairy...but if I start to feel that stressful feeling - dammit I'm going to have some cheese

I feel very tired of getting on this wagon over and over again. But here goes...
Old 08-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I fell off the wagon 2 weeks ago and never got back on! I've just had a big old streak of off plan eating. I feel so yucky, tired, unhealthy, skin is looking bad...bleah. I am really looking forward to being back on plan again, but of course I'm all full of sweets cravings now.

The first step has been to focus on nutrition, taking regular supplements and eating more greens, squash, and nutrient dense foods, since all the white flour and processed things offer so little nutrition. Today I'll eliminate carb heavy foods and do my best to stay low-moderate carb. Tomorrow I'll go back to induction level low carb. I'm inching into induction!

It's possible that I got in trouble with JUDDD (which is alternating up days of normal calories with down days of low calories). Maybe I tried it too soon, and maybe tried to go too low in calories on the down days. I began to feel really stressed on the down days and after a week of that, I fell off the wagon completely. I guess I should go talk to the folks in the JUDDD group about it. I would like to practice alternating calorie intake at some level, but obviously I really need to be careful with it. For now, I'm not going to try it. Maybe in a couple of months when I'm really firmly low carb and more confident.

This time I will avoid stressing myself about food. I'll do my best to stick to clean meals, organic and nutritious, but if I need to eat something, I'll eat it. For example, I'm a little bit lactose intolerant, so should avoid dairy...but if I start to feel that stressful feeling - dammit I'm going to have some cheese

I feel very tired of getting on this wagon over and over again. But here goes...
Hi Poppies...don't stress! What's important is that you're back here.

Why don't you try doing regular 1972 for a few weeks to get back into the groove? I also want to try JUDDD at some point but I know I'm not ready yet. Those down days would bring out the devil me in no time.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Awww, thanks Olive! You are so right, those down days did bring out the devil for sure! 72 is definitely the most comfortable plan, and easiest to live with. I'll stop putting extra rules on myself.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Awww, thanks Olive! You are so right, those down days did bring out the devil for sure! 72 is definitely the most comfortable plan, and easiest to live with. I'll stop putting extra rules on myself.
Let's try to check in every day.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Another good idea from Olive
Old 08-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

today was pretty clean - I stuck to 72, with two exceptions: my salad was huge (but nothing off plan was in it). And dessert was a big ripe peach from the farmer's stand. It's peach season right now, and they are so yummy. But now I've had enough of them...I'm going in.

Tomorrow will be under 20 carbs
Old 08-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
today was pretty clean - I stuck to 72, with two exceptions: my salad was huge (but nothing off plan was in it). And dessert was a big ripe peach from the farmer's stand. It's peach season right now, and they are so yummy. But now I've had enough of them...I'm going in.

Tomorrow will be under 20 carbs
Guilty of huge salad today too!!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Guilty of huge salad today too!!
lol, I can't believe that cheats now consist of salads. it used to be brownies.

today my weight came down a couple of pounds - no doubt water weight. My ketostix were deep dark purple. I don't quite understand that. Surely all that glucose build up from the past two weeks has not been worked out of my system yet. I've only been lowering carbs since yesterday. Could be due to consuming a lot of fat, maybe. Will see what happens going forward.

Today I tried making my own mayonnaise and wow that is so easy! I used a mix of olive and walnut oils, with some Dijon mustard, and natural omega 3 eggs. Very good. I look forward to experimenting with more seasonings.

B: ham steaK, zucchini hash browns topped with homemade mayo, tea with stevia
L: blue cheese and pesto omelet (with a dab of my new mayo on top. Very high fat). Tea with stevia
D: Boyfriend is slow cooking pot roast and baking bread. I'll pick out the potatoes and carrot. The challenge: avoiding the homemade bread.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Definitely the high fat. I get into ketosis almost suspiciously fast after carb binges (and I'm talking like caramel popcorn, not huge salads). I eat extra fat the first two days and BAM. I also read elsewhere on LCF that the longer you've been doing LCF, the faster you get into ketosis (even after going off-plan really bad).

Anyway, that's nothing to complain about! Can I come over for pot roast? Mmm
Old 09-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Well, ketosis or no, it still feels like a big load off with reduced carbs (literally). My carbs were under 50 for the past 2 days. Haven't been able to get below 20 yet. But feeling tons better anyway.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

It's so funny -- I've never had an LC day where I've eaten anything about 25 net carbs. For me, it's always <25 net carbs or a million OWL, and the other rungs just seem like lightyears away at this point.

It'll be so funny to me when I finally have a piece of fruit of any kind on Atkins.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

LOL, I'm that way too. I do good at a very low carb count, but once I get too many carbs, look out! It's a runaway train. But I usually feel pretty stable at about 50 or less (and I don't count net, only total grams). I think I only have one rung: 50. I'm either above or below, on plan or off.