Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
May is here- Atkins 72!!

Hi Everybody

I could not see a May thread. We are already three days in!
lola001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Greetings from the end of the world! I have decided to go back to basics and start Atkins original tomorrow. Well,I have been messing about with locarb for teh last few days with little result and have some ingredients to use up today. Tomorrow I am good to go.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
!! I love when we get "players" from all over the world. We've got Lola in Pretoria South Africa, Kiwi in New Zealand and Sherry in the Bahamas. The rest of us are in the USA. I'm on the East Coast (Connecticut) which is as far south as you can go and still be in New England. Have you always lived in Argentina? What's it like down there?

Lola, thanks for starting the new thread. May got off to a hectic start. I didn't even think about starting a new thread. I'm so used to you being the one to do it! How are you doing? Good, I hope.

My landlady came and mowed the grass today for the first time this Spring. It looks wonderful! I ran out and did poop patrol while she did the edging with a push mower. The rest she does with a riding mower, which is the only way I'd ever want to mow grass. I discovered while I was out there that my wood pile was falling apart. One end of it came loose and all the wood was tumbling out. I worked on that and now it's all back where it should be. Hope it stays there!

The weather here is still on the cool, dry side and I'm in Heaven. When things get hot and sticky, I will try to remember and thank God for the lovely Spring we had.

Also got paid today so I've been paying all my bills. I had no clue how high my balance had gotten on the credit card. I don't like to run a balance but I don't think I can pay off $365 in one month. I took a $200 bite out of it, though.

"Free your mind and your @$$ will follow."

My Journal.

Last edited by CherylB; 05-03-2013 at 12:53 PM..
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Hello Cheryl,nice to meet you. I have not always lived in Argentina but I love it in spite of its problems. It is a beautiful country with friendly people. We have 40 million of them most in the three or 4 main population centres. I am in Buenos Aires which is probably the only old world city on the new continent.I would call it a mix of Naples,Paris and a flavour stamped upon it by the land´s original inhabitants.It is vibrant but not in a glitzy way.here people congregate ,8 at a table for 4 ,kiss each other as a greeting and Sundays are reserved for asados with family and friends.Yes,the men kiss,too.Strangers talk to you inthe street about current affairs ,the latest supermarket offers,anything. So far it is not so important what car you drive,if you drive, but whether you are a good conversationalist,can be counted on etc . It is changing though.
On the lowcarb front I do not know if I am blessed or cursed. I have no chance of getting carbquick or shiratake noodles for example.However today I realised that all my cold cuts are still made the old way without adding flours or sugars,with one or two exceptions. So that made me happy today as I find this strict Atkins 72 a bit daunting. The beef here is great,still grassfed if you know the right places without a surcharge so that is nice. I have dabbled in Atkins South Beach ,life without bread all with some success, but not the ultimate success ofd reaching goal.So here is hoping.

Good job on paying your credit bills .They can so eat you alive. Your life sounds rural. Is it ? I am on the edge of the city so I have use of a garden but it is not a ranch .
Well cannot think of more to tell you.

Last edited by Aleina; 05-03-2013 at 05:05 PM..
Old 05-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Big Yapper!

Aleina, I just loved reading your description of Argentinian culture. It reminds me of the Portuguese people. I only know them because one sister married a man from Portugal so I know their family well. They always kiss on both cheeks and there is nothing they won't do for you. Generous, open, loving. I'm sorry to hear you say that things are changing now. What do you think is the cause of the change? I wish it could always stay as you say it's been. Would be lovely to know that some places can remain untainted.

I'm in a suburb. We have neighbors but we're not on top of one another. There's a fire house across the street (which isn't very great, but I've gotten used to it over the past year). I lived on a very (very) quiet side street before moving here and the traffic noise was hard to adjust to. Now it takes something very loud and fast to really get my attention. I just wish the fire trucks wouldn't fire up their alarms while in the parking lot. I was told they don't do that, but yes they do!

Otherwise, I'm in a small town. Not sure of the population numbers. Think I'll google it now! 5,360 people in my little annex of the larger town it is a part of, as of the 2010 census. Pretty small. I like this kind of living.

In the woods behind the property I rent, you can hear a water fall. I used to think it was the sound of the river that flows from the pond that belongs to the Fish and Game club, but after recently walking back there, it is definitely the waterfall that gives us the soothing sound of water. I am determined to hack a path through the woods so we can access the water back there. I'm a member of the Fish and Game so I doubt they could give me any trouble over it. I could picture me floating around in an inner tube at the base of that waterfall.

It's doable but it will take work. I don't plan on moving any time soon so maybe I'll get it done in the next year or so. It's fun to dream and imagine, isn't it?

And as far as the low carb stuff goes, I'd say you're blessed. Much easier to stick to a plan when you don't have much choice! Sounds like there would be a lot of bread and wine in your culture, though. I know there is in mine!

Well, it's bedtime for me. I've been staying up into the wee hours of the morning these past two nights and sleeping half the day away. No can do for tomorrow. I need to get back on a normal track. So nice meeting you, Aleina and I hope you hang around with us. Much success to you.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Big Yapper!

PS: I should add that living in such close proximity to the water has its downfalls (no pun intended). It floods here when we have too much rain. Two years ago (before I moved in), the property was pretty much under water. The house is on a hill and was built some 113 years ago. Thankfully, they knew what they were doing back then.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Hi Cheryl,that sounds like a really nice place you live in.I have never lived in a small town, only in towns with 100000 and upwards. I love the idea of having a waterfall near the house. I do understand the drawbacks though. We had our house flooded a month ago and are still drying out. We had a very unusual rain with more rains coming down than the stormdrains could cope with and so the house flooded to the tune of a foot and a half .

But back to Atkins .
Weighed myself today, 196 lbs so that is the starting mark. It is only 10 am though and I have already cheated with more cream than is allowed for my coffee and some chilisauce. It is only 2 carbs, but they need to be confessed.
Gotta run,going sailing hopefully if the weather heats up and I am totally unprepared. Have a great day everyone.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Big Yapper!

Oh, drool! I love sailing. I went one time on a small sailboat in Texas. It was just a lake but it was so lovely. I have always dreamed of sailing across the Atlantic all alone. I love to dream. Have a wonderful time and please tell us all about it when you return.

I have only lived in a large city twice in my life. It can be nice, but I prefer the outskirts of a large town. The commute going to and from the city can be a drag but I think the benefits outweigh the problems.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I am back from holiday.I was staying with friends that aren't low carb so I went off plan for my holiday.Minimal damage,back on tomorrow.
I got shiritaki noodles from an asian wholesaler in the capital so I look forward to trying those.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Welcome back in the fold Kiwistars. Let us know your verdict on the shiritake noodles. I have all but given up on finding them here.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Do you have an asian community in Argentina?Chinese?Korean?Japanese?

They are also sometimes called miracle noodles,konnyjaku,mojo or juruo noodles.(depending on language)
I found mine in a shop for homesick Japanese in my capital city.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CjTitus
Stats: 172/130/120
WOE: Atkins 72
Back into induction today, gained back 10 pounds from my last loss and plan on getting back to 122. Love the support and accountability of using the forum, so plan on visiting at least once a day! I am not much o a breakfast eater, so got down one egg & a slice of bacon. I will eat a hardboiled egg later for a snack.
CjTitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

kiwistars,yes I have been to Chinatown and inspected everything that was bagged fresh or dried.Found some weird and wonderful things but no shirataki.There is a Japanese supermarket left to investigate but it is a bit out of the way and being on Atkins week 1 it can wait a while .
Welcome back CJ !
Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

tomato pulp - bad idea ?

A question for you more experienced ones with Atkins 72 please:

I made a mock pizza yesterday with an open omelette as a base and I did use 2 tbsp of tomato pulp which only comes in at 1g carbs as opposed to regular tomato sauce. Technically that was a cheat. The tomato pulp was a considered extra in a day when all I had was half a cup of pak choi (1 carb) and the pepper which was 2 carbs. Add to that 3 carbs from cream and I get to a total of 7 carbs.
What say you ? Bad idea ?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
Big Yapper!

Sounds fine to me, Aleina. How did it turn out? You used eggs as the "crust"? I've never tried that. I'm interested in hearing what you thought of it.

Welcome, Cj. I hope you have much success!

Have a nice Monday and week, everyone.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Labyrinth
Stats: 179/190/160
WOE: Atkins '72 (VLC)
Start Date: Sept. 1, 2012
Hey y'all!
still here
still jobless.

Welcome Newbies! Lots of luck!

Love & Light!
Labyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
Big Yapper!

I hate when you do those little "drive-by's", Donna. It's just a tease. Tell us more of what's going on up there! Don't make us beg.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl,it was great. I scrambled 2 eggs with some baking powder and mineral water ( the one with gas) to give a bit of volume to the "base" I cook it really slowly in a frying pan .The toppings are cooked separately so flavours can mingle.I think it only works with strong flavours like olive and salami. Other pizza toppings would be a bit nondescript. Well,put your toppings mix your cheese on top and cover with a lid or another frying pan so that cheese can melt without burning the base . Here ´s the result
Attached Images
File Type: jpg egg pizza.JPG (85.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
Big Yapper!

Very cool! Thanks for the recipe and picture. I love when I experiment and come up with something yummy.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Aliena,I don't know if it helps but I was looking in the wrong place.
They are not with the dry noodles usually but sitting on their own.They are in a plastic bag full of water floating around like strange white medical specimens

Lets just say they had better taste better than they look.They are lunch today in a chicken and cheese sauce so I will let you know.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I will be interested to hear what you have to say about them. I contacted the distributor for all things Japanese here and they tell me that they do not.
Thanks for the tip I looked everywhere, dry ,freezer and fridge.
Not sure if the packet tells you but they smell fishy when they come out of that liquid and need various washes. Some say dryfrying them improves their texture as well. Bon appetit !
Old 05-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

They were good!Smelled like bad fish until I rinsed them in hot water and someone warned they were chewy so I cut them up with scissors.I put some butter,cheese,mustard and cream in a frypan and then added the noodles and stirred until it all thickened.

Tasted like instant pasta mixes That used to be one of my downfalls so I'm happy.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

only 2 bags left so I am going to have to buy some more soon.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Great you liked them. I have changed objective to look for the actual konjac flour. Let´s see if I havemore success with that.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:20 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
They were good!Smelled like bad fish until I rinsed them in hot water and someone warned they were chewy so I cut them up with scissors.I put some butter,cheese,mustard and cream in a frypan and then added the noodles and stirred until it all thickened.

Tasted like instant pasta mixes That used to be one of my downfalls so I'm happy.
Thanks for the "recipe" I have a drawer full of these noodles different shapes, and just can't think of ways to eat them that would be satisfying or that I can get them down. I know I don't like sauce just put on top of them like spaghetti. Will give this a try tonight maybe with hamburgers.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Good morning Cititus,

I have never tried them but people say that dryfrying them before you use them in a recipe improves their texture,if that is what you object to.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
Hi everybody
Been a bit ill since Sunday so just dropping in for a quick hello.
CJ and Aleina.
Great pizza tip Aleina. never thought to add baking powder to eggs- well thought about it but never actually did it.

take care everybody.
lola001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Down a pound in 4 days so I am happy. Spring is here and this is when I get super busy at work (Lab Tech for Meyenberg Goat Milk Manufacturing Plant) and when it is nice enough to do dog activities outside. Not that it stopped us before but standing outside in insulated bib overalls, heavy coats & gloves to run your dog in agility is not my ideal of fun. I have a pic of myself in this get up and my dog in a heavy hoodie keeping warm waiting for our turn. LOL I think the only open weekend I have right now is Memorial weekend, but I do go in Monday morning the 27th for a couple of hours to do milk testing before canning on Tuesday.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Lola, good to see you checking in . Hope you feel 100 % again soon.
The baking powder was one of those moments when you make eggs for the umpteenth time and wonder what ELSE you could do with them .It was the first time I did it.

Cititus ,congrats on the pound.

Last edited by Aleina; 05-09-2013 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: keyboard with invisible a ...
Old 05-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #30
Big Yapper!

Hi, ladies. Lola, sorry you aren't feeling so well. I hope you feel good again soon.

Cj, lab tech for goats milk? That sounds interesting, actually. Why do you have to wear all that stuff for the dog agility stuff? Isn't it pretty warm in AR right now? It's nice up here so I figured it must be even warmer where you are. Congrats on the lb! What kind of dog do you have?

Aleina, it is challenging to turn eggs into something different so I'm glad you liked your pizza concoction.

Been raining alot up here for the past two days. The sun just peaked out about 10 minutes ago, so that is a sign (I hope) of better days to come. Tomorrow is supposed to be much nicer. I did the farm yesterday and was soaked through but we all got through the day. Never was so happy to go home.

Enjoying my few days off now and kicking back big time!