Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
~~~ Atkins '72 for April, 2013 ~~~

Spring is just barely sprung here in CT but it's close enough for government. I'm feeling jazzed and so it's time to get this show on the road. All aboard?
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SeattleMorena
Stats: 163/154.6/128
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: March 26, 2013
Hi Cheryl, this is day 4 for me on Atkins 72 and I started at 163 and now at 157.2 so I am definitely pumped. I did have a moment of weakness when I ate a handful of wasabi nuts and hoped it wouldn't mess me up and it appears it hasn't. I'm going to stick with Atkins 72 until I've reached my goal weight. So I'm all aboard
SeattleMorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Big Yapper!

to our humble little monthly thread! Glad to have you with us. How are things in the Seattle area? Spring is slow to appear in CT. It's about 55 today but windy and overcast. Rain will come later today. :/ I have to believe that Spring will be here to stay very soon. I believe!

What I hate about this is that means we will have a short Spring. Sometimes it feels like we only get a couple weeks or maybe a month of Spring and then Summer sets in. I love the seasons where we can open the windows and not suffer.

Anyway, my goals this time around with Atkins is to stay the course. Settle in for the long haul. Make it livable! Not expect rapid results, just steady results. I am hoping for 8 lbs per month and will be thrilled for more than that, but I will keep my expectations reasonable. And I will only weigh at the start of each month.

I weighed today since today was the first day of Induction. I am 210 lbs even. I won't go into how far down I'd gotten in the last few years and how much I've put back on. That's water over the damn. It's time to deal with what is and create what what will be. Do nothing and I can expect more of what I have. Do something and I can expect to be closer to where I want to be. Simple!

Keeping it simple and just staying the course is where I am going to focus. I'm in no hurry. Being in a hurry doesn't make things happen faster, it only makes us unhappy that we are powerless over how long it will take. Need to find that "Zen place within" and just buckle up and enjoy the drive.

So, here's to our health and happiness, not only to being smaller! Loving ourselves and being forgiving of our short-comings. Let's all make that a goal, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cheers!.jpg (39.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Hi Cheryl, thanks for the warm welcome. I agree with nothing being in a hurry and just doing your best and not create that unnecessary stress. I try to live a stress free life and that is how I plan on keeping it I'm one of the ones who tends to lose weight quickly when I'm in a mode so I always tell people don't look at me as our bodies are different.

It is sunny and warm here around 70 degrees, but being a fellow Southern this is no where near hot LOL I'm used to the 90 plus degrees with over 90% humidity. I'm not originally from Seattle but a true Southern Belle.. but the rain or mist as I call it will return next week and will stay this way until after June probably..

Yes good luck to us all for this journey and we can do this
Old 03-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Right.all systems go.I am going for 187lb by the end of the month.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Hi Kiwi

I'm definitely on board as well..

I've told myself I'm not going to be beat by cake or let food control me. I can do this and to be honest on Atkins 72 it isn't that bad at all
Old 03-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I am struggling as I am in NZ and it will take 2-5 weeks to get my copy of Atkins '72 over from America.
I keep finding out more stuff I forgot.It will be easy when I have the book.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sldeal
Stats: 187/165/150
WOE: Atkins 72/Fast5
Start Date: December 27, 2012
Happy Easter everybody! I have to go back and read on previous thread but just wanted to give a shout out!

Cheryl - yes I did visit the other threads on Callanetics which is why I was inspired to give it a try right away This is day 4 for me but I will keep you all up to date.

So, far I'm have a fabulous day, which means I'm getting plenty of much needed rest.

TO ALL THE NEWBIES!

Kiwi - Congrats on your weight loss

Okay, I have to go back to March Madness & catch up.

"Remember, your tape measure is a better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat losses..." Dr. Atkins

Mini Goals
Size 12 - April 2013 - Goal met April 1, 2013
Size 10 - Nov 2013
Size 8 - April 2014 (this will take a miracle)
sldeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
I am struggling as I am in NZ and it will take 2-5 weeks to get my copy of Atkins '72 over from America.
I keep finding out more stuff I forgot.It will be easy when I have the book.
1972 Atkin's plan by the book

I may be wrong but I think all the rules for Atkins '72 are right on the first page of this thread. Check it out! You don't need to wait for the book to arrive. And any questions you have, just ask us! We can answer many of them and if we don't know the answer, we can look it up for you.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I'm slowly picking them up but my computer isn't always on and when it is 8pm in new York say,it is 1 in the afternoon the day after here like it is now(hello from tomorrow)

It makes it hard when I have a quick question...
Old 03-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Big Yapper!

Wow, Seattle. You had me at "70 degrees" but lost me at 2 months of drizzle and mist. We're finally breaking into a good time of year. I hope we have a lovely summer. Last summer was so oppressive and hot. I'm sure you would have handled it easily, being a southern belle. Where are you from? Do you hope to return someday?

April is going to be a great month for us Atkins '72-ers. I can just feel it in my gut.

Have a lovely Sunday/Easter evening. I am tired from working at the farm (therapeutic riding center) and I'm achy. Actually, I have more to share about that but I'm too tired to go into detail right now. Essential, I'm a mess. My health is touch and go.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Big Yapper!

That sucks, Kiwi. But we're both on right now, so fire away. I'll hang out a while to see if you respond.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I mostly have it under control it is just I will either want to read it as a pep talk or wonder if he wrote something then realise it is 2am over there and everyone will be asleep

I am hardcore in ketosis now most of the time and I do allow one or two things that aren't 72 but I have checked out the science and swapped for something else(cream cheese instead of cottage cheese,similar total carb counts but I loathe cottage cheese)And I find the odd Atkins 2 card bar is better than having a cookie at a friends with my coffee and I can seem to handle those maybe as I am tall and active and can burn through the malitol..
Old 03-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Hi Cheryl, Yes Seattle gray and mist but the summers are wonderful and it is so green and beautiful here. If you love mountains and green all around you then this is the place. I will visit the South but I don't want to live there.. I'll retire here in the pacific north west and have a summer home somewhere in the Caribbean LOL.. I'm originally from South Carolina but have lived all over the south from Charlotte, Atlanta and South Florida..Plus I lived in Mexico and Europe for a total of 11 years so I consider myself a citizen of the world LOL more recently just moving back to the states in June 2012 so I haven't been back a year. Speaking and hearing English all day was new to me LOL. I'm 41 years old so not a spring chicken but far from old, age is all in your mind.

Aww sorry to hear about your health hun, things will get better, stay positive

Yes April is going to be a great month for us Atkins 72ers
Old 03-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
Big Yapper!

Well, Kiwi. Sounds like you're doing pretty well so far. Like you said, an Atkins bar is better than a cookie. Many people find they can lose weight just fine on the later versions of Atkins, which allow things like the bars, shakes, etc. Maybe you don't need to follow the strict earliest version. Just see how it goes and what you can live with!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I lost on the 2002 version back in 2004 but I am older and I didn't want to risk my tail dragging.There is no way I could lose on the new one.It seems to be weight watchers with added butter and life is too short to measure and count all day.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I lost 10lbs this month just been.We will see how much I lose in April before I add anymore.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

I agree with Cheryl.. personally I don't like the Atkins bars.. I had one before I started the diet just to see how they tasted etc. and they gave me gas sorry if TMI but I was like these are not for me.. but I agree an Atkins bar is better than a cookie
Old 03-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #19
Big Yapper!

Seattle, I do love mountains and green. The Pacific NW is a place I've yet to see with my own eyes. I always thought it would be a lovely place to live, if you could live a little farther inland, away from the constant wetness. I hear the suicide rate is higher in dismal places. (CT's is pretty high, I'm sure.) That's great that you've travelled so much. I love to travel but have never been overseas. I've lived in CT, TX, NV, AZ, and done time (sounds like I was in prison) in CO, VA and FL. When I lived in TX, our main mode of travel was via little pick up truck with a slide-in camper, so we did tons of road trips. No better way to see the places you are driving through.

My health will improve but it's frightening to me how fragile I am. Oh, hell. I might as well type a few more sentences and not be so mysterious. I am working with the horses (and goats and minis) at a therapeutic riding center. It's just a part time job with very few hours but I love it. Before they offered me a job, I was volunteering there for a year. This job is very physical and we do have volunteers, but still it's a physical, strenuous job. I sometimes have "tanked" while working and it always seemed to happen if I hadn't eaten something substantial (or anything other than coffee with cream) before I went to work.

Then I noticed last week that eating didn't prevent that feeling from coming over me. I started to think maybe the beta blocker I take in the morning was keeping my heart rate too low when it needed to beat faster to keep up with the work load. (My resting heart rate is only 50. When I'm asleep, it must be in the 40's.) So I took my automatic BP cuff with me today and when it started to hit me again, I took my vital signs right then and there. I was blown away by the results. BP- 118/106, HR- 131. This was while standing up. I sat down and took it again. BP- 113/82, HR- 105. Later on, I went inside to take a bit of a break while some of the horses were being groomed by the volunteers. I sat in a chair and checked my vitals again. BP- 97/68, HR- 86.

I know how serious it is to have your BP and HR spike like that, and I wasn't working all that hard at the time. My body is just so screwed up right now. I'm having tests done, to check my heart and lungs and vasculature. So far, everything is "normal." Maybe my meds need to be altered but I'm afraid that I might not be able to keep this job if something isn't adjusted rapidly.

My father was working a full-time job at age 71. He was always a capable, independent guy. He was pressure-washing a side walk at an apartment complex he worked at when suddenly he fell to the ground. He was rushed to the hospital and I was called by his wife. He had had a massive hemorrhagic stroke and was completely paralyzed on his left side. It was the kind of stroke where a person doesn't even realize that they HAVE another half to their body. It's completely foreign to them.

I don't want that to happen to me, and I know that our genes are a far-better predictor of what is in store for us than any other indicator, from lifestyle, environment, etc. I'm only 50. I hope I have a lot more years of being vertical and independent than it feels like I might have right at this moment in time.

It's a holiday weekend but I will be seeing my Dr tomorrow. I need to drop something off and I'll try and speak with someone there about my vital signs. My Metoprolol needs to be doubled. Maybe I need to be put on a different drug entirely.

I will get up every day and pray I'm okay. I will lay down at night and pray I'm okay. I will stick to this diet plan and hopefully, as I shed water weight and fat lbs, the stress on my heart and lungs will ease up. And I will go back to the gym and swim regularly, but only after my meds are changed. I'm not going to push it until then.

So, if any of you are pray-ers, I'd be thankful for one said on my behalf. Thank you.

Last edited by CherylB; 03-31-2013 at 05:59 PM..
Old 03-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I will be thinking of you.I am sure it will be fine.Maybe you have just outgrown your meds and they need to be a little stronger or a little weaker.*hugs*
Old 03-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Glad to see you're back with Atkins 72 Cheryl! Here's to keeping it simple and staying the course!

cheers.jpg
Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
Big Yapper!

Quote:
I lost on the 2002 version back in 2004 but I am older and I didn't want to risk my tail dragging.There is no way I could lose on the new one.It seems to be weight watchers with added butter and life is too short to measure and count all day.
I just saw these two posts. Sorry! I don't know about the newest edition but if Dr A is in the ground, he's not writing the book. That makes me suspicious. And I agree! I hate counting stuff. Unless it's "pounds lost so far."

Quote:
I lost 10lbs this month just been.We will see how much I lose in April before I add anymore.
That's great!!! Can't argue with success.

Quote:
I will be thinking of you.I am sure it will be fine.Maybe you have just outgrown your meds and they need to be a little stronger or a little weaker.*hugs*
Thank you. I want to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldeal View Post
Glad to see you're back with Atkins 72 Cheryl! Here's to keeping it simple and staying the course!

Attachment 49191
Amen! Hey! Where are you right now in VA? We need pictures! Then you'll have to explain to everyone who's new what in the world it all means.

Sleep tight, everyone.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Cheryl you will be in my prayers and thoughts.. maybe it could be the meds but hand in there..

Wow Kiwi 10 pounds that us awesome

Everyone keep up the good work.. April will be a great month for us..
Old 03-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Well I had a nice snooze this afternoon and then decided to get my butt up and get some more walking in. In total I did 11 miles for today (6 miles this morning and 5 this afternoon). With the exception of an upset stomach I'm feeling energized.

I'm about 10 miles away from Lexington, VA and I'm hopeful I can make it there tomorrow. It looks like I'm walking pass a horse ranch, it's definitely beautiful trail to be walking.

walk.jpg

I can't believe I actually walked 238 miles for the month of March. I have thousands of miles to go before reaching the west coast, but I'm happy with my small progress.

Cheryl I'll definitely keep you in my prayers. I know how much you enjoy working at the farm, so I'm your health gets better so that you can continue to work there.

Kiwi I'm new with Atkins 72 as well but I'll be happy to assist with any questions until you get your book.

Seattle glad to have you with us. You and I have something in common, I use to live in Atlanta before moving to the Bahamas. I love it over here but I do miss my hometown. I was just talking with a friend and told her I may be moving back within a few years. It's good to hear you're enjoying Seattle.

Until tomorrow....bye, bye
Old 03-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

sldeal, the Bahamas vey nice.. however I do understand there is no place like home.. Europe was nice and so was Mexico but it was time to come back to the USA..

sldeal I think a size 8 is not a miracle at all to reach you will do it
Old 03-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMorena View Post
sldeal, the Bahamas vey nice.. however I do understand there is no place like home.. Europe was nice and so was Mexico but it was time to come back to the USA..

sldeal I think a size 8 is not a miracle at all to reach you will do it
Thanks for the vote of confidence The last time I wore a size 7/8 was when I got married that was 25+ years ago. I've always averaged around size 9/10 but my smallest size was 5/6 (not for very long though). Right now I'm wearing 14/16. I've learned the the hardest part about losing weight is PATIENCE but I'm slowly learning to focus on one day at a time.

Enjoy your evening!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

you are too funny sldeal you never know but patience is the key.. I usually hang around size 6 or 8 which I'm aiming for now I'm a 10/12 depending on the cut..my size 12 trousers are very loose in the waist now
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Hi guys, I'm jumping up & down today. Can you see me??? I officially met my first mini goal this month. I'm now a size 12 yes I'm still jumping up & down (hoping I can drop off a few more pounds)

My 'fat' clothes had been feeling a bit lose on me so I decided to try on a dress that I kept trying on off & on for the pass few weeks. Guess what...it fit! So, I tried on a suit that I knew wouldn't fit, I was wrong, it fit! All morning I've been trying on my clothes I hadn't been able to wear for 3+ years. So today, although it's a holiday for us, I won't be relaxing instead I will be re-arranging my closet.

I'm also down on the scale again. Last week it was 172.2 this week 171.6. Not much, but I'm grabbing anything right now I'm hoping I can reach my 2nd mini goal before November, but it's going to call for PATIENCE.

A funeral service for my 'fat' clothes will be held at a later date!

I couldn't ask for a better April Fool's Day!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #29
Big Yapper!

Sherry, your dedication to your walking is so inspirational. It hasn't affected me any, but ykwim. Moving back home isn't always as bad as you think it might be. I still am not in love with CT by any means, but I'm not too miserable, either. (And thank you for the prayers.)

YEA!!! Size 12!!!!! WTG. You earned it, honey! If there is still some life left in those fat clothes, consider donating them to charity. I can't do that with any of mine because I wear them until they fall apart. Sad but true. And I buy them at the places I'm suggesting you donate them too because I hate to pay retail prices. (All these secrets are now out in the open. Oh no!)

Have a splendid day, ladies. I'm going to be working out in the rain again this afternoon. I decided to not drink any coffee today to see if I feel better while working. It could be the caffeine combined with the tasks involved in working on a farm. I thank each of you for your prayers and I will report back later on.

Oh, crap. It's already raining. Well, that means the horses are going to be out in their paddocks, sopping wet or someone will have already brought them inside. One can hope! Time will tell.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/165/150
WOE: moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
This is my 2nd day of Atkins '72 and even though my keto stix don't register ketosis yet, I feel alot better, meaning I'm not ravenous. I ordered the 1972 DADR (actually it's a 1973 printing) off of Amazon yesterday, so hopefully I will have it by the end of the week! I haven't weighed myself yet, not till Wednesday because that's my regular weekly weigh in. My last weigh was 24.06 (I was a little afraid to see actual weight so I went by BMI, lol) This way is SOOO much easier than the "new" way. I couldn't get that many veggies in daily!

I also do a sort of version of JUDDD, mostly just to try to conserve food because I am a cheapskate. On DD's, I eat mostly eggs fried in a little CO and tuna. My UD's are the more luxurious foods (steak, salmon, bacon, cheese)
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food

Last edited by Demonica; 04-01-2013 at 02:26 PM..
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote