Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins '72 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-72/)
-   -   IM STRUGGLING HORRIBLE!!!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-72/799400-im-struggling-horrible.html)

dmw99 03-14-2013 03:13 AM

IM STRUGGLING HORRIBLE!!!!

HI I have been Atkins for about 2 yrs now. I weighed 398 when I started and got down to 217 pounds. Then this Christmas I really got off track horribly and went up to 235 pounds. I am 5 foot 1 so i def have more to lose. I went back on Atkins 72 because the DANR does not work at all for me I have always done 72 anyways its been 9 days and I have lost only two pounds and now I have gained 1 pound back??? I am really confussed why I am not losing I got the headaches in the begining and the Ketone sticks are in moderate color? I work out everyday I only take Sunday off but I still go for a power walk outside. Can someone please HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

abitobeef 03-14-2013 04:47 AM

How much fat is in your diet? I know that needed to keep a fair bit of fat in my diet in order for it to work properly.

dmw99 03-14-2013 09:15 AM

like i said i have done this diet for two years now! and lost over 200 pounds i have the book. I gained from the holidays and that weight is not coming off. I was thinking of doing a fat fast but heard its dangerous? Have u ever heard of why it is? Or if its a good or bad idea?

janetsbreeze 03-14-2013 11:13 AM

Could you post an average daily menu for us?
Sometimes it's easier for others to see something that might be going on.

Have you recently made any changes to your diet, other than Atkins? Any meds? Started exercising?

dmw99 03-15-2013 04:25 AM

I haved not changed anything I said I work out 6 days a week!

I will give u this weeks menu

Mon
3 eggs 3 bacon strips eggs fried in coconut oil
2 Hamburger patty swiss cheese mayo
Steak small salad

Tue
6 stips of bacom
chicken thighs with butter and garlic powder
chicken thighs with butter and garlic powder

Wed
Cabbage fried in coconut oil with 2 scrabled eggs
mini meat loaf made with pork rinds egg and salt n pepper
dinner same as lunch

Thur
salad note my salads only have lettuce bac and 4 green olives and my dressing is homemade with no sugar not even a sugar substitute
hambur patty with swiss and mayo
2 boneless pork chops seasoned with salt n pepper

I have done this before and it worked so I dont understand? Please dont say I am not eatting enough because I had lap band two yrs ago and that is all my stomach can hanble and its what I did for two yrs and it worked out just fine. No I am not on any meds I only drink water I dont drink diet cola at all nor do I drink coffee so this makes absolutely no sense!!!!!

PaleoRainy 03-15-2013 04:47 AM

What if I say you're eating too much? No actually am not sure because you do not mention quantities so "chicken thighs with butter and garlic powder" could be anything but I would encourage you to get on any nutrition counting website and log everything.

I attempted a count of what you had on Monday, which is as follows, but I am guessing some quantities (between brackets and I wonder if the steak was grilled with nothing, and the salad was just raw out of the garden or had any kind of dressing.
If you are having more than I guessed below I would say you are eating too much, but this is a guess.
For your information, the count below stops at 1550 calories, that's ok in my opinion. But then if you had more mayo, cheese or whatever than I guessed, the count may go much higher and it may not be so ok.

3 eggs 225
3 bacon strips 210
coconut oil (1tbsp) 119
2 Hamburger patty 400
swiss cheese (2 slices/2 oz?) 212
mayo (1 tbsp?) 57
Steak (beef? 4 oz?) 380
small salad (without dressing? oil?) 30

dmw99 03-15-2013 07:34 AM

i only eat 4oz of meat at a time and 1 cup of salad like the BOOK SAYS!!!! I make salad homemade like i stated in previous reply its just olive oil and vin. I guess no one see's what I am trying to say I am doing exactly what I did for two yrs and lost 214 pounds so why did it work then if i am eating to many calories?? Plus i thought atkins said caloies do not count on atkins 72? And hight fat is importanat like coconut oil, mayo ect??? Plus i run 60 min intervals and about 30 mins free weights 6 days a week, and on top of that 3 days take a kickboxing class and I am waitress i work 5 days a week 8-10 hrs on feet going up and downstairs 2 of those days so I think my calories burn off to enough to be at 1200? which people who go on 1200 diets lose weight and eat carbs I am not eating many carbs? There is no way around this is doesnt make sense AT ALL!!!! My throid is fine too btw.

SweetMe678 03-16-2013 08:11 AM

To be clear, you are eating the same as you were when you were losing weight quite well. You took a break over the holidays and gained approx 20#? I am stumped as to why you are stuck. The only thing that changed was your diet for a period long enough to gain the weight. Are you on any sort of new meds, under more stress than before, sleeping less? Have you ever had trouble with blood sugar/diabetes/prediabetes? Were you exercising this much before as well? I would look at anything in my life that was different from before, on the chance that it was affecting my body in a negative/unwanted way.

Also I saw you asked about the fat fast. I have done this before to break a stall, my weight loss had slowed dramatically, then finally stopped. I did try going back to induction, nothing changed. I didn't make it the full three days, but it did break me out of my stall. And I started back to a super clean induction. It's not that it's unsafe if you are resistant to losing weight. It's unsafe if you are losing weight fine, or are trying to use it was a way to lose weight with a crash diet mentality.

I hope this helps! It is so hard when something like this happens.

gamegirl568 03-16-2013 10:22 PM

I think 4oz of meat is too little. You must feed your body protein so that it will grab the carbohydrate it needs from body fat. I think your body is in a starvation mode where it is holding on to every bit of carb because it is not getting enough food from you.

Are you sure you have not gained muscle weight instead of fat due to all that exercise? Muscle weighs more than fat. Do your pants and clothes fit better? I would ditch half the salad and replace it with a hard-boiled egg, some tuna salad, etc. Also - cut down to very little on things like cheese, creamer, and even salad dressing - put that in a spray bottle. I eat lots of pickles, olives, marinated mushrooms, etc.

There are lots of plateaus that your body will hit where for a week or more it will appear like no weight is coming off. But if that keto stick says you are burning - do not fear! You are on the right track! Keep going!

Also, keep feeding all thru the day. You must keep your fire burning all day long. Eat right when you get up. Don't overdo it with the exercise. Moderation.

Good luck!! (I'm losing very slowly myself but I am going to stick with it as long as it takes.)

Ann-Marie

heidihoopi 03-16-2013 11:21 PM

I hear you. Now listen. As you get smaller and weigh less, you must eat less to lose. Do you think a 300 lb woman and a 175 lb woman can eat the same thing and maintain their weights? Nope, you must gradually downsize your meals as you lose and become a smaller person. Sounds like you have hit a plateau, keep doing what you are doing (maybe eat slightly less), and one day soon you will be rewarded with a really nice whoosh. Also you are probably smaller in size due to compact muscle replacing your fat, but weigh more because of it also. But in the long run, the muscle will serve you well by revving up your metabolism and helping you burn calories much more efficiently.

Persevere!

~PaperMoon~ 03-17-2013 03:44 AM

Yeah I was thinking that too, there's comes a point where you can eat a certain amount and lose weight, then once you get smaller you need to modify what you eat to smaller amounts to keep losing. What you are eating now simply maintains your weight. You might have stopped losing at this point even if you had not gained over the holiday, they just happened at the same time but might not be related to each other. If you eat enough to maintain 200 pounds and you weigh 300, you will lose weight till you reach 200 pounds then you will stop losing and just maintain unless and until you modify what you eat to lower amounts. It's just a coincidence that you gained weight over the holiday from eating wrong at the same time that you reached your maintenance point. Now you need to lower what you used to eat so you can keep losing weight. :) Portion size makes all the difference.

gamegirl568 03-17-2013 11:02 AM

I disagree. The reason a skinny person and a heavier person differ in shape is not quantity, it is how well their body metabolizes food. Have you ever witnessed how much a teen boy can consume in a day? If you continue to think that eating like a bird will get you thin, you will continue to tell your body to slow its metabolism and hold on to fat storage.

CherylB 03-17-2013 11:24 AM

Here's my 2 cents. I've done Atkins a few times and I can tell you from experience, the more times you do it and then stop doing it, the less it seems to work when attempted again. Sad fact but very true. It's like your body "gets wise" to the whole LC weight loss plan and it learns how to down-shift or something.

You may be suffering from this syndrome. I see nothing wrong with your diet. I don't know about fat fasts all that much but I do know that the "Nutritional Ketosis" is basically a daily fat fast. They keep their fat/pro/carb percentages: 80%/15%/5%. That's pretty much what I'd call a fat fast. I tried one for a day and it was nearly impossible to get that much fat into my diet without drinking melted butter.

I hope you can figure out what's wrong. Changing up your exercise could help things along, too. Your body will also get so efficient at doing the work you put before it that it has less and less benefit to your metabolism.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but someone had to be. :(

Salad Spinner 03-18-2013 05:52 AM

Plus i thought atkins said caloies do not count on atkins 72? Even in 1972 Dr. Atkins said calories DO count at some points in this woe. And hight fat is importanat like coconut oil, mayo ect??? drizzled, not slathered on. What is your fat % daily compared to your protein and carbs? fat calories add up fast! I think my calories burn off to enough to be at 1200?One would think that but if it were the case you would not be having an issue. As some of the other posters have mentioned, your caloric needs change as we get lighter. Our habit of eating a certain amount can get in the way of our weight loss for sure. I love to eat. I am very short. I used to be able to eat much more w/this woe. As I got older, my caloric needs changed and I had to change w/them. Good luck, the answer is out there, put your head to it and figure it out. When you do, you'll lose and say 'ah! so THAT was it!' and then you'll be able to share your success w/others!

dmw99 03-20-2013 04:28 PM

Thanks Everyone :) I really appreciate it!!!!

CTH 03-31-2013 07:52 PM

What exactly is your workout routine? Even a rigorous workout for 60 minutes where you burn 600-700 calories is still not enough IMHO.

Are you moving 10,000 steps a day?

dmw99 04-05-2013 10:20 AM

I do intervals where I sprint for 2 mins and jog for 2 mins then I do stair stepper then I do light free weights and on top of it I am a waitress and work about 35 hrs a week if not more. I change my routine and do 30 mins on stair and 30 on treadmill and then take an hr class 4 days a week like spinning, step, ot kickbox. I have started losing but its SUPER slow!

dmw99 04-05-2013 10:22 AM

I think a lot of it is loose skin. I went and talked to a dr and they said I had about 30 pounds buy i still want to lose more

pierre32 04-05-2013 06:04 PM

interval walking

I am new to this site. My first post so I don't know if I am doing this right. I also love to work out but due to back problems I am limited to stationary bike and walking. Dr said ok for me to use interval training as a program. What does anyone else do? Thanks

pierre32 04-05-2013 06:05 PM

Fitbit

I have a fitbit that tracks your daily steps, calories burned, floors climbed and miles gone. I love it. You shoot for 10,000 steps a day.

CTH 04-06-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierre32 (Post 16357356)
I have a fitbit that tracks your daily steps, calories burned, floors climbed and miles gone. I love it. You shoot for 10,000 steps a day.

Yes, thumbs up on the Fitbit!

kiwistars 04-06-2013 08:14 PM

Atkins 1972 does not count calories or require exercise if you can't or don't want to.That has come from the modern version someone wrote after he died.It encourages exercise but does not insist on it and it specifically says no need to count calories.Nor does DANDR.

I am guessing your body got wise and has altered its insulin response under the influence of carbs so I guess the answer is patience,check there is no accidental carb creep and if all else fails try a meat and egg fast or fat fast to get things going again.

ziva 04-07-2013 06:09 PM

I would say just hold out. Don't be discouraged. Think about all the good things you are getting out of this WOE that do not include weight and give your body some time. I know I love the way I feel, I'm not as anxious, my skin, hair and nails all look so much better, I feel like I am doing something good for me, it gives me confidence because at least I have a plan and I'm not gaining. :) Hang in there. I hope you get some results soon.

dmw99 05-04-2013 09:07 AM

still no results I even started eating only once a day and still nothing in two weeks I lost 4 pounds this is ridiculous!

Aleina 05-05-2013 07:37 AM

Dmw ,this loss is not ridiculous. 4 lbs in two weeks is the expected weight loss after being on an established diet. Restarting is not the same as starting for the first time. You are doing great if you are losing at this rate. Eating once a day to force what you want is going to bite you in the booty if you are not careful,i.e suppress your metabolism to the point where you are not losing . The meat egg fast or fatfast seems a great idea to me.
Chin up,you are doing good, don't push yourself so hard.

Patience 05-05-2013 02:44 PM

I would encourage patience, not panic.
It almost sounds that you are exercising a little to strenuously for induction.
Can you back off a little bit for a week or two?
I restarted 5 weeks ago and my experience is that my body is calling for more rest and only gentle exercise.
That said, we are all individuals so you need to find what works for you.
Hang in there.

Delta 05-06-2013 12:43 PM

I got stalled last week. Kept very true to the plan and still I gained 4 lbs ! I reduced my portion sizes and still nothing... The only thing new to my daily intake was BACON ! Oh it's sooooo good and I ate alot of it for 3 days ! I kept my cals under 1500 , but no weight loss. As soon as I cut the bacon out, 2 days later and a lot of water the scale was 5 lbs lower ! So for me, the slow weight loss was caused by all the sodium in bacon. I have always had trouble with sodium intake which causes my body to store extra water all the time. So, maybe it's your sodium intake.

jeanjean 05-17-2013 05:08 AM

Is it going better? Don't give up! This is a lifestyle. The weight loss is only one part of it. I know, important for motivation, but only one part of the healthy You.

mamadawny 05-20-2013 08:40 AM

Dr Atkins stated in his books not to go by the scales, but my measuring your body. I can gain as much at 7 lbs overnight due to water retention. If I really worried about the scales, I would give up completely. I will stay the same (up and down within 5 lbs for 2 or 3 weeks) then overnight have a WHOOSH and start going up and down within a lower 5 lbs. I have had a gastric bypass and after the magic first year, you never lose like that again. Just try to stick with it, you would be living this time whether you were dieting or not. I hope it picks up so you won't feel so frustrated.