Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #31
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
"Stroppy"? Is that temperamental? Yes you did tell us the scale dropped and shame on me for not ing. I hope it sticks and more follow shortly. That's too bad that you can't register at that website. Have you checked your spam folder? I check mine regularly cause stuff goes in there all the time.

The storm is slowly making its entrance. I did the farm and it was flurrying at times but it was too cold to ever be rain. It was pretty windy at times, too. Sometimes I had no hat on, other times I was strapping that sucker on with the clip that snaps under my chin. That hat covers a lot of my cheeks too, and my cheeks are what feel the cold the most. I will be so happy to put all hats and gloves away for the rest of the year. I do NOT look good in hats and once I put one on, I have to pretty much leave it on. My hair is very unforgiving.

It was a very easy day at the farm because so much I would normally have needed to do was already done by the morning lady (the manager.) She was off work today (Paramedic) and she thought she might need to bring the horses in early so she wanted the stalls set up and ready. It made for a nice, relaxed afternoon for me and the volunteer.

Off to bed now. Want to get to sleep at a decent time. Been up too late the past couple nights, staying online too long.

Sleep tight, ladies. And Lola, have a lovely day. I hope LG settles down for you. I hope she has some grasp on how frightened you were by her disappearing act. Do you think she does know how it affected you? Enough to not try that again?
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
Hi Everybody!
Cheryl- thanks- I was so pleased to see that drop in the scale. I think is approaching as I feel very big especially around my tummy.
food today was a protein shake with cream in the morning - very filling.
Lunch - grilled chicken with coleslaw
supper will be an omlette with a salad.
Skipped exercise today but been walking a lot at work.

hubby coming home today.
hope that you are all well.
cheryl- take care during the storm.
lola001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #33
Big Yapper!

I didn't realize hubby had been away, Lola. Was he gone long? Glad you're happy he's coming back home. So far the storm is just sporadic. It will get worse as the day and night wear on. It's snowing some right now and blowing sideways but it's pretty much melting as it hits pavement. I hear there's another storm coming after this one. What-ever.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sldeal
Stats: 187/165/150
WOE: Atkins 72/Fast5
Start Date: December 27, 2012
Lola I'm so happy to hear the scales are finally going down for you. CONGRATS I'm hoping this is the start of a new beginning

CherylIt's great knowing you had an easy day yesterday, despite the weather I hope today fare well for you. I hope spring come for you guys soon.

I continued my journey last night but because we've been having cool weather it was difficult for me to get out of bed this morning to walk. It's definitely the best sleeping weather.

I'm still in Chickahominy with about 8 miles to go before reaching Mechanicsville, I might be able to get in a walk tonight . Here's a shot of the Chickahominy tribe getting ready for their powwow.

walk.JPG

I would be lying if I said I spotted them on my trail. Actually, here's where I am now.

walk2.JPG

Looks peaceful enough, I think. Hopefully I can get to Mechanicsville sometime tomorrow and give you guys the "low down" when I get there.

Will chat later.

"Remember, your tape measure is a better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat losses..." Dr. Atkins

Mini Goals
Size 12 - April 2013 - Goal met April 1, 2013
Size 10 - Nov 2013
Size 8 - April 2014 (this will take a miracle)
sldeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Hi SL- hubby travels a lot. This was one of his shorter trips. Your walking sounds so great. Yeah- the scale went down some more as I am now 65.1kg!
Cheryl- Bunk down and enjoy the storm from indoors. Hope you are sufficiently warm. forgot to say that stroppy is temperamental but just plain naughty with a mouth that can only say NO! arg!

Well the scale is going down but a colleague at work just asked me if I am pregnant so I said no- I am just fat! Really!
anyway I am not letting any negative energies get to me as I am leaving for home in the next 45 minutes to try and find my kitty who has been gone for 4 days. Something or someone has frightened her off and I need to get her back.
Have a great day everybody and lets celebrate that it is Friday!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

LolaYour continual loss is a great reason for turning up the music & celebrating Don't let those negative vibes from your colleagues get you down, you're on your way to success! Good luck on locating your kitten. 4 days missing? I was always told 'cats have no boundaries' how will you know where to look? Good luck on locating her/him.

I'm continuing my walk and I finally made it to Mechanicsville. I managed to get in 10 miles - 5 last night and another 5 this morning. Here's where I am now

walk.JPG

I have 13+ miles to get to Ashland, VA. I think in total I need to walk approx 250 miles to get out of VA, I pray I can make it

Enjoy your weekend everybody. Cheryl stay safe up there!

Last edited by sldeal; 03-08-2013 at 05:59 AM..
Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tscateh
Stats: 225/203/165
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Feb., 2013
Cheryl, looks like you're getting all our storms after we do - but magnified! (I'm in Minnesota) Hunker down and stay warm! And thanks for defining OMM for me.

SL, I love that you're walking 'somewhere' - what a great idea!

Lola - living well is the best revenge. Lose it and be happy while you are!

Scale was up slightly yesterday, but down lots today to 201.2. Goal right now is to get under 200 - then I will allow myself a haircut! ;-) Mostly just a way to keep myself from doing the crazy weekend eating thing.

Do any of you use the Ketostix or an equivalent to make sure you're "staying purple", as it were?
tscateh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Everybody
Its Friday evening here and the cupboards are a bit bare.
Will have to figure out what to eat. I have some salami slices and some cream cheese.
Tscateh- I am also having my hair done tomorrow with a bit of pampering thrown in as well.
SL- My cat - joy Ramon - is a year old and she has been with me since she ran into my home as little less than a month old kitten. she was running away from those large grass cutting machines used on estates. I found her but she is a bit skittish. I think somebody might have hurt her so she ran off into the bushes. It took some sausage and a lot of calling before she finally emerged and I could bring her home. she was so shaky and timid.
I live on one of those estates with a natural protected area (trees, a dam and river that flows past my home) so there is a lot of space where she can hide out. I have had her for quite a while so know a lot of her hide out spots. It is just a matter of being patient and praying nothing bad has happened to her. I know that there are snakes in the area so I was terrified she may have been bitten by one or worse that someone might have attacked her and left her helpless.
I am keeping her indoors tonight (just need to make sure nobody opens a door and accidently leaves the door or garage open.) to give her some comfort and security. she can go out during the day tomorrow if she feels like it.
So bloated at the moment so my shorts and jeans are so tight around the waist.

Hope you are all well.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Tscateh - I have ketostix but stopped using them - I drink a lot of water and I understand that water dilutes the ketones so your stick ends up looking less purple than it is really. I measure whether I am in ketosis by my hunger levels. I am not so hungry during ketosis.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #40
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola001 View Post
Hi SL- hubby travels a lot. This was one of his shorter trips. Your walking sounds so great. Yeah- the scale went down some more as I am now 65.1kg!
Cheryl- Bunk down and enjoy the storm from indoors. Hope you are sufficiently warm. forgot to say that stroppy is temperamental but just plain naughty with a mouth that can only say NO! arg!

Well the scale is going down but a colleague at work just asked me if I am pregnant so I said no- I am just fat! Really!
anyway I am not letting any negative energies get to me as I am leaving for home in the next 45 minutes to try and find my kitty who has been gone for 4 days. Something or someone has frightened her off and I need to get her back.
Have a great day everybody and lets celebrate that it is Friday!
Oh, I HATE when people ask if you're pregnant! I have had that question posed to me on several occasions during work situations. It's always very hard to just let it slide off your back.

I'm sorry your kitty is missing. I hope you can find her and bring her back home safe and sound. Stroppy is not something you want your LG to be. They all seem to have those phases that parents must endure. BTW, how is school going for her? Do you think she's picking up bad behaviors from the other school kids?

What are you doing differently to get the scale moving again? Are you still eating your OMM? I am curious to know what got you unstuck. Very happy for you!

Our snow storm is turning over to sleet. We have about 5" here and it's very wet, heavy stuff. It just slid right off my long, slopy hood cause it was so heavy. I need to go out and move the trash cans so that when (if) the plow guy comes, he won't destroy the cans. I wish I had thought of that yesterday and planned ahead.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #41
Big Yapper!

Sherry, keep on trucking! And keep posting those screen shots of where you are in VA. I love them.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #42
Big Yapper!

Ts, kutgw!! It's sometimes tough to break through that 200 mark but you will definitely get there! And when you do, it feels really good.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #43
Big Yapper!

Lola, I'm so glad you found little kitty and that's she's safe. It sounds so beautiful where you live. It must be lovely! I hope you can manage to keep little Joy Ramon indoors so she can get over whatever it was that made her run and hide.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Everybody
Kityy is back and safe. She had a fright but not physically hurt. I've kept her indoors since Friday.
Cheryl- I actually think that the Thai curry did the trick as I have been down since. My body needed the shakeup.
I am eating lots of coleslaw right now and salami - just until I get to the shops and get real food.
don't you just find such people who would ask you personal questions just so crass and rude. I just shrugged her off as I know she has that kind of streak in her- a little bit mean. Anyway I am feeling less bloated so no stress there.
Hope that you all are having a lovely night and see you in the morning.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #45
Big Yapper!

Well, whatever it was that got the scale moving again, we're all so happy for you. And happy about the kitty being found and home safe. Is LG still being stroppy? I agree when people ask such direct, personal questions. One young girl asked me what my disability was in our first 15 minutes of conversation the very first day I met her. I thought, 'How personal!!' I didn't answer her, naturally. But since that first day, I've found out that she definitely has some issues. She's one of the weirdest people I've met in a while.

The Horses' Ball last night was fun. I bid on and won a home-made quilt with a horse motif. It was the one thing that I truly wanted so I'm very happy.

Have a nice day. It's very Spring-like today and I'm beginning a new journey. No more booze as of today, then beginning to take the drug "Antabuse" tomorrow night. I had tried it before but thought it made me depressed and very "flat". I'm giving it another go and seeing how I make out. Wish me luck!

I'm also jumping back on the weight loss bandwagon. Not Atkins, just my own personal thing. I hope to see good results soon.

Have a lovely Sunday, ladies.

Last edited by CherylB; 03-10-2013 at 10:17 AM..
Old 03-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Good morning all,

Lola glad you found your kitty all safe and in one piece. I agree, keeping her inside for now might be the best thing to do.

CherylGlad to hear you had a fantastic time at the Horse Ball; that quilt sounds lovely. Good luck on stopping the booze, I know it's going to be hard but we'll be here cheering for you. Hey, it's also nice hearing you guys are finally having some decent weather, it's about time!

tscateh don't worry about the scales be slightly up, it could be water retention. I'm sure if you continue to eat right you'll see a loss soon. A new haircut for reaching onderland sounds like a great way to stay motivated. Please keep us posted.

I'm still doing my walking and enjoying it although my feet and legs do ache lots When I checked I was surprise to see that I had walked 107 miles since starting my virtual walk across America. I didn't do any walking this morning, this new timing isn't agreeing with me yet maybe next week.

I was rushing this morning so I didn't make it on the scale, figured it would be better if I made it to work on time instead.

I'm now 1.53 miles from Scotchville, VA and the route is beautiful and relaxing there may be a few horses around grazing on the grass, or maybe it's a park, I don't know but I do love the scenery. I'm happy I was able to relax and camp here overnight. Below is a snapshot

walk.JPG

Well, I'm going to stretch my legs and perhaps sometime later this afternoon head towards Scotchville. Will talk later.

Last edited by sldeal; 03-11-2013 at 06:15 AM..
Old 03-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Thanks all for the encouragement! Another weekend, another set of challenges - back up to 204.4 this morning, but it's OK. We went to friends house fo rdinner on Sat., and they were so sweet - made sure there was lots of meat (BBQ), and lots of cornbread, pecan pie, and coleslaw and honey butter. LOL! Ah well. It was extremely tasty! I ate waaay too much cornbread. I do miss that sort of thing once in a while. Then we hosted a birthday "high tea" for a friend, and of course had to eat and drink through that, so... weight's up! But I'm happy with the weekend, and that to me is more important.

Back on the wagon again now! In all the prep for the party, forgot to go grocery shopping, so we were out of eggs this morning. Substitute breakfast: an espresso shot with heavy cream, leftover (crustless) quiche, some bacon, and splitting a young Thai coconut! YUMMY! I have no idea how many carbs are in fresh coconut water, but it was completely worthwhile. We'll have to figure out "make do" breakfasts more often!
;-)

I hope all is well with you folks this Monday morning!

Cate!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Oh, and feeling virtuous this morning also, as all this fancy breakfast stuff was after we got back from doing our swimming practice session. I'm taking lessons in TOtal Immersion swimming, so we get to the pool at our local rec center for lap swimming whenever possible in the morning (too many people in the afternoon times).
Old 03-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

tscateh Sounds like you had a beautiful weekend with friends you enjoy being with and that's what matters. So long as you're on the ball again, you shouldn't have problems dropping the excess. If I were there I think I would have eaten a ridiculous amount of pecan pie I use to make them all the time when I lived in Georgia. Oh, and let's not talk about corn bread, I think that's why I was a bit disappointed when I had to come off of MM they so reminded me of corn bread.

Oh, don't sweat the coconut water if it was fresh out of the shell (no sugar added); it shouldn't have more than 9-12 carbs max. If you're doing swimming I'm sure you're going to burn lots of calories so it shouldn't take you too long to reach your goal.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vita oldie
Stats: 160 want to be below 140
Start Date: June 2012
Yesterday things looked good for everyone-Horse Balls(double entendre!) and a prize quilt-found kittens-more walking across America-good family gatherings!
Here in UK to-day the weather has been weird freezing cold winds-then warm sunshine followed by snow flurries!
Have you heard of the 2 consecutive days of protein only diet each week?
I seem to think Atkins 72 has a limit to the amount of protein, as too much still gets stored as fat. Am I correct?
If proteins only is Ok it certainly curbs the appetite!
Was yesterday Mother's Day or do you follow the same date as on the continent? Britain has to be different.
Vita oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #51
Big Yapper!

USA's Mother's Day isn't until May. Protein only gets stored as fat if you eat excessively. I'm thinking that means if you eat way more calories on a LC plan than you would need to maintain your current weight. I'm guessing, but Atkins doesn't cause you to store fat from eating protein. Nope! Not to worry.

Cate, what's "total immersion swimming"? I'd love to hear about it.

I had the farm tonight and I am so tired. More mental tiredness cause we had a staff meeting that lasted for 2.5 hours and then I had to rush out and get the barn chores done. I had help but I hate that "I'm late" feeling. It makes me tense and affects my thought processes. I'm glad I'm done and home and now unwinding.

Day two no booze, day one on Antabuse. I feel fine but it's a big change and it will take time for me to get into the new groove.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita oldie View Post
Yesterday things looked good for everyone-Horse Balls(double entendre!) and a prize quilt-found kittens-more walking across America-good family gatherings!
Here in UK to-day the weather has been weird freezing cold winds-then warm sunshine followed by snow flurries!
Have you heard of the 2 consecutive days of protein only diet each week?
I seem to think Atkins 72 has a limit to the amount of protein, as too much still gets stored as fat. Am I correct?
If proteins only is Ok it certainly curbs the appetite!
Was yesterday Mother's Day or do you follow the same date as on the continent? Britain has to be different.
Hi Vita I'm not too knowledgeable on this but I do remember reading somewhere that our body burns carbs (glucose), then fat and then protein and that we should let protein be our last means because our muscle mass is made from protein which we don't want to lose. Also fat is just fat, but protein can turn into glucose. To prevent this we should get an average of 15% of our calories from carbs; 20% from protein and the remaining from fats (note Atkins promote healthy fats).

I know it sounds like a lot of mumble jumble, but that's basically all I can remember, not sure how accurate it is. Hope I was able to help out some.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Hi guys, I did manage to weight myself this morning and the scale read 174.6, I think that's down .4 from last week. I'm not expecting big losses since I've started walking knowing walking sometimes build muscle in the legs. We'll see.

I did 5 miles this morning and I'm 5+ miles from Buckner, VA.

walk.JPG

While I'm enjoying the walks this new timing sucks, it's going to take my body a few days to get adjusted, I'm feeling like a walking zombie right now.

Have a great day everybody.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Day two no booze, day one on Antabuse. I feel fine but it's a big change and it will take time for me to get into the new groove.
One day at a time...Keep it up!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #55
Big Yapper!

Hey, Sherry. By "new timing" do you mean the Daylight Savings thing? I haven't really felt the difference yet, but that's because I don't have to get up in the morning and run off to a job. ()

It's so dreary today and raining a lot. I hope I can take a nap in a while. I woke hours earlier than I usually do so even though I'm drinking coffee, I'll feel that old napping-feeling come on me in a few hours. I'm grateful that I don't have to work today and can hide from the elements.

I need to get back to the gym and at least swim and use the hot tub and dry sauna. I can get all the exercise I need at the farm but I really need to make time for things like that, that give me enjoyment as well as do me some good. Plus, I'm paying almost $50/month to be a member there and I've nearly forgotten about that entirely. Not good.

My eating is still a mess. I can't seem to get through a day without going hog-wild in the evening. I'm not LCing or following any particular plan right now, just trying to find a sane place where I can start to reign it in and get the scale moving in the right direction.

Have a great day, ladies.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vita oldie
Stats: 160 want to be below 140
Start Date: June 2012
Thanks for replies.
I agree with both answers!
But if too much protein converts to glucose that in turn would be turned into fat, so I wonder how 2days of protein only makes people lose weight.
Vita oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Swimming, etc.

The Total Immersion style of swimming is based on the idea that we as humans aren't particularly well designed to be efficient in the water. So this guy figured out ways to make us more like fish when we swim. He has a book, some DVDs and you can also take training classes for it (only one qualified Master trainer in Minnesota, but at least he's relatively close to us.) You can see more about it here: Total Immersion Swimming, Swimming How-To Videos, Swimming Accessories

It has been interesting. I've never had a good freestyle/crawl stroke, so I''m excited to learn something that will move me through the water without feeling like I'm just thrashing it all around!

There are some really cool You Tube videos of the style, this is one of the best (it has an annoying soundtrack, fyi):

I've been thinking about doing a sprint Triathlon this summer (very short distances - 500-750 meter swim, 15-20km bike, 5k run), so I want to learn 1) an efficient swimming technique and an efficient, less-likely-to-get-injured running technique. I already know a fair amount about bicycling (although I haven't been doing it).

So after I get the swimming nailed down, I will be working on something called the POSE technique for running, assuming all our ice & snow is gone by then.

Cate!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldeal View Post
tscateh Oh, don't sweat the coconut water if it was fresh out of the shell (no sugar added); it shouldn't have more than 9-12 carbs max. If you're doing swimming I'm sure you're going to burn lots of calories so it shouldn't take you too long to reach your goal.
Thanks, SL - the coconut water was AMAZING and fabulous. They're too expensive to have every day or I would! (about $3-$4 each in the store). Although that might be a little excessive... ;-)

Cate!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Cheryl - hang in there, you just need to adjust to your new way of being. Remember to take a few minutes out of every day just to breathe deeply and appreciate you. Over a little time things will settle down and then you can figure out how to put everything in order, including your eating.

Cate!

Last edited by tscateh; 03-12-2013 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Labyrinth
Stats: 179/190/160
WOE: Atkins '72 (VLC)
Start Date: Sept. 1, 2012
Hi

day 1 for me yesterday
B: 2 coffee w/ HnH & splenda
L: salmon (leftover)
D: cheeseburger (no bun)
S: pineapple & cottage cheese (whoops)
Also: 2 sips hubby's beer & several spoonfuls of beef broth

today so far
2 coffees w/ HnH & splenda
3 eggs fried w/ 1T butter & 1oz swiss

i'm going to attempt 2 weeks. then have a weekend off. I am hoping by setting a shorter goal - I can make it past day 3, which i have not done in months!

Glad to see all the posts!

Love & Light
Donna
Labyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote