Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #211
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Hey, Penpen. I have to keep this short and maybe hopefully catch up on all posts that I've let fall by the wayside these past two days cause it was another busy day and I have to get up early and head out for an orientation for the new volunteers at the farm tomorrow. My life is so much faster than it used to be!

Protein shakes: I just don't see their value on a high fat/ moderately-high protein diet. I think the breakfast you had today, (WTG, BTW! ) will give you better results and be more satisfying and nutritious in the long run. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Almond Milk. Very good idea to switch over to the HWC. I'm proud of you for all the changes you've decided to make! I pray you are rewarded with great scale moments.

I swear, ladies. I'll get caught up again! And if anyone is interested in starting the February thread, feel free. I always like to post the link to the new thread on the current thread, so we all know that the one we're on is being retired.

Night-night!

I have come to the decision that there is no such thing as a destination.

My Journal.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PenPen13
Stats: 150/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 09/09/11
Oh I am getting so confused
SL I was checking out the site you suggested, very interesting stuff. Hard to believe that you could be good all week and with a little cheat you blow it. That would definately be my luck! My body would hold out for weeks probably just waiting for that one little cheat.
So I found a site that listed the rules of Adkins 72. Why I am confused is there are so many things I have been eating that are not really allowed, especially the first week. Lemon juice is limited to one lemon, cream cheese (not a shocker), well let's just say meat and 2 cups of lettuce!! So I went to Costco tonight and bought meat, shrimp and water. I also broke down and invested in the ketone sticks. Has anyone ever used them? I am testing a small amount
I just want everyone to know I worked with my program manager this afternoon on some quality measures and she was sitting there EATING GIRL SCOUT COOKIES She must have offered them to me 50 times and I just kept saying no thanks.
Sweetie : Great job on the loss!! The bacon sounds really good. I usually do the same things but on Sunday. I usually cook the bacon in the oven though, I hate the mess from frying. I will have to try the little trick of frying the fatty pieces. I am just afraid to make it because everyone seems to tell you to stay away because of the nitrates.
Glad it is Friday....but I really wanted a drink of something when I got home after today. but I managed to hold out
Going to go strict induction starting tomorrow and test myself each day. Maybe that will help me keep motivated.
SL I am listening about the fat but I feel so fat right now it is really hard to eat it. I just touch my behind and feel gross.
Keep the tips coming though because I love to read them. I promise I am listening
Hope everyone has a relaxing weekend.
PenPen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #213
Big Yapper!

Penny! If you are still of the mindset that "fat makes you fat", you are missing the whole point of Atkins. No wonder you're having trouble! Starchy, high-glycemic carbs make you fat. The reason why is that they cause your blood sugar to spike. Next thing that happens is your Pancreas secretes Insulin to bring the blood sugar back down. It can't utilize all those carb calories so it stores most of them in the fat cells. That's why Insulin is called "the fat storing hormone." Dietary fat can not be stored in such an easy way as carbs. It takes much more effort for the body to convert the fat you eat into fat for your body. READ!!! You haven't had that "AHA Moment" yet.

I'm glad you mentioned that website that SL directed us to because I forgot to check it out. Will go there now. Been so busy! Penny, so glad you are going back to just the allowed Induction foods. I'm saying this to myself as well as everyone else here: "When all else fails, read the directions." Been there, done that, will no doubt do it again.

And as far as cooking bacon, the only way I do it is in the microwave, on paper plates. It's easy and once you figure out how many minutes it takes in your particular microwave, you'll pretty much get perfect bacon every time. I cut my bacon strips in half (to make them shorter), then arrange them all around the edges of the plate (I have to buckle them a bit to fit 4 slices on the plate), then I fill in the center. If they overlap a bit, that's no biggie. Cover the plate with a single paper plate (Make sure you have about 4 or 5 paper plates on the bottom half. The grease will soak into a few layers.)

Nuke for about 3-4 minutes, then remove the top plate. If the bacon looks cooked enough, CAREFULLY remove the plates and pour the bacon grease into the already-chosen receptacle (I use a plastic sour cream container or a disposable cup that won't melt from the intense heat.) Blot the bacon with a paper towel (unless you like it greasy) and enjoy! I won't cook bacon any other way. (They get crispy or stay a bit softer, just like if you fry them.)

Last edited by CherylB; 02-02-2013 at 02:40 PM..
Old 02-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sldeal
Stats: 187/165/150
WOE: Atkins 72/Fast5
Start Date: December 27, 2012
Penpen, yeah I know it can be confusing. I was startled when I first read Atkins 72, I always assumed induction meant lots meats, cheese & LC veggies. Honestly I havenít strayed too far away from induction level. No, I havenít lost a lot of weight, but I do realized my cravings have been reduced and I donít snack as often as I use to, Iím sure that has something to do with my carbs being reduced drastically. Iíve been LC since Dec 27th and, although I donít keep count of my carbs, Iím sure I don't go over 15-20 and most of those carbs are from leafy veggies.

As for fat, I canít eat Ďfatí just like that, I tried eating the fat on a steak once and I almost gagged. It was horrible. So what Iíve started doing is frying most of my meats. Or, when Iím grilling steaks, I brush them with lots of olive oil. Also, Iím a greasy bacon lover, so when I fry my bacon, I donít put it on a paper towel to soak up the oil.

Play around with your foods and experiment Iím sure youíll come up with a way to get more fat into your foods.

Cheryl Ė CONGRATS on making it to Onderland! Whatever youíre doing, keep doing it, youíre making great progress!

Sweetie Ė Itís amazing the Atkins diet was brought up in your nutritional class for surgery patients, yet a lot of doctors still knock this WOL constantly encouraging wheat & grains into our diet. I guess we no longer have to wonder about whose WOE is right.

I hope you guys have a great day. I decided Iím going to do salad for the SuperBowl with lots of chicken, sausage, bacon & pepperoni. If the munchies hit me while watching those Doritos commercials, Iím going to fry me some cheddar cheese in lots of bacon fat and perhaps sprinkle it with some cayenne pepper. I also made up some small Ĺ cup containers of homemade LC ice cream, just in caseÖ Iím not a football fan, but I do enjoy the commercials and I want to make sure I don't stray away from my LC WOL!

"Remember, your tape measure is a better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat losses..." Dr. Atkins

Mini Goals
Size 12 - April 2013 - Goal met April 1, 2013
Size 10 - Nov 2013
Size 8 - April 2014 (this will take a miracle)
sldeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PenPen13
Stats: 150/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 09/09/11
Evening everyone!
I would love to start the new thread for February but i have actually never done it. Please let me know if someone does so I can follow. How do you start one?
Cheryl : Wow I am so happy for you! You have got to be so proud of yourself for sticking to the plan and feeling the rewards. You might be in those closet hiding clothes before you know it. I do understand the principal behind the high fat, I think it is just years of eating low fat that is getting me. But today I have had
B: eggs fried in butter 3 pieces of bacon
L: salad with chicken, radishes and blue cheese dressing
D: steak and salad with horseradish mayo dip
S: 2 slices of cheese
As you can see I am going for the fat. Ketone stick still reads small amount but it is better than nothing.
SL I am doing the same as you. I am not actually counting the carbs but they are minimal. Do you think I could eat kale in induction? I also read on one of the sites I found that green beans were OK too. I also agree about the snacking. With the LC you don't have that many quick pop in your mouth snacks so I just don't do it. I also noticed that I have not been very hungry so maybe that is a good sign?

Did a little shopping today. I bought bras and undies and am i the only one who HATES doing that????? It is always a challenge to find underwear that won't ride up by rear.
Did some clearing and rearranging in my kitchen cabinets this afternoon. I found a box of carnation instant breakfast that expired in 2007!!!!! Guess I should clean them out more often
Hoping to get up in the morning and go for a bike ride. The weather has been beautiful these past few days and I need to get out and enjoy it.
PenPen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #216
Big Yapper!

Woohooo! I finally got caught up with the posts here. I'm happy to see everyone is in the groove. I'm going to see if a new thread for February has already been started and if not, I'll start it and post the link here. K?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #217
Big Yapper!

~~ Atkins '72 for February, 2013 ~~

Come on over!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sldeal
Stats: 187/165/150
WOE: Atkins 72/Fast5
Start Date: December 27, 2012
Hmmm, I wasn't too impressed by the commercials last night nor the half-time performance. I like Beyonce but I guess I'm just not into live performances

My weigh in was today and I'm down 1.6lbs , I'm now at 179.4, I'm also down 3 1/4 inches.

Measurements 12.29.12...................Measurements 2.4.13
Chest - 49 ....................................... 46 1/2
Bra - 38DDD .................................... 38DDD
Waist - 40........................................ 35 3/4
Lower Hip - 49 1/2............................. 47
Upper Hip - 47................................... 45 1/2
Left Thigh - 29 1/2............................. 28
Right Thigh - 29 1/4.......................... . 27 3/4
Wrist - 6 1/4......................................6 1/4
Shoe Size 6 1/2 ................................ 6 1/2
Dress Size 14W.................................. 14P

Total of 12.75 inches lost to date & 7.6 lbs!
sldeal is offline   Reply With Quote