Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #181
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Wow! Great how-to for frying up cheeses. I never would have guessed that you'd need oil or grease because the cheese oozes grease as it melts. I will try it again when I have more hard cheese to play around with. So frying Mozzarella doesn't work, huh? I thought I could get something similar to Mozzarella en Carozza.

I finished the last of the pork and creamy mustard sauce. I will miss having that! I have another one in the freezer but I don't want to burn out on it. I'll shift to something else and maybe make another one next week.

Yes, I've lost something everyday since starting but today is only day #4. Believe me, things will slow down. I will be whining about how stalled I am, how frustrated I've become, boo freakin hoo. You gotta take the good with the bad and not take either end of the spectrum out of context.

Night, ladies. I may or may not be back again tonight. I need to do something other than "technologically-based stuff". I've had a hairy day in that regard. No, I don't want to go into it, if I already haven't. Just want to put it behind me and wake up tomorrow and not think about it anymore.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sldeal
Stats: 187/165/150
WOE: Atkins 72/Fast5
Start Date: December 27, 2012
Cheryl - I'm not sure if you can fry cheese without grease, it may stick to your pan, maybe if you're using one of those Teflon pans? I also forgot to answer your question about plantain. It's like a banana, but a little firmer and longer. I don't think you can eat them raw (I can be wrong). Over here, we use plantains in soup or as a side dish (fried or boiled). I like the really soft (overly ripe) plantains when they're fried they're especially sweet and reminds me of a desert. I remembered while visiting my brother in Florida, the Cubans fried their plantain and then coated with powdered sugar. I didn't try it but it looked good.

Plantains are a definite 'no' for Atkins but I figured if I cheat it'll be a healthy cheat. Actually, I purchased a chicken dinner today and ordered plantain as a side dish, it was over fried and dried out, I had to dump it! So, I was spared carbs today.

"Remember, your tape measure is a better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat losses..." Dr. Atkins

Mini Goals
Size 12 - April 2013 - Goal met April 1, 2013
Size 10 - Nov 2013
Size 8 - April 2014 (this will take a miracle)
sldeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #183
Big Yapper!

Oh, okay. I've seen those things. Never tried one but they sound interesting.

I guess that's why my mozzarella is stuck like glue to the non-non-stick sauce pan I used. I first did it in a non-stick, then thought maybe it had to be done in a regular pan so it would brown and crisp up rather than just melt and start running all over the place. Strike two! Guess I'll be using a little oil next time. Third time's a charm!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PenPen13
Stats: 150/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 09/09/11
Well it is midnight and I just got to work. Working the night shift for OT and then my regular shift in the morning. Yeah 16 hours for me the money will be good so I will focus on that.
Cheryl : I use the CO in my coffee every morning. The trick is you need to use a coffee cup with a lid. I can't drink it without one....to oily. With the lid it has that tiny hole and keeps you from getting a big mouth full of oil. Just a thought. I have used it a few times when cooking, frying up cabbage it gives it a nice flavor.
I will have to try the frying of cheese myself! Maybe the deluxe cheese slices have more cream??? I have read that same thing though that you should use the american cheese but specifically the deluxe.
You guys are funny with the boobs! I do mammography for a living (one of the things I do anyway) and no one is ever happy with their breasts. It is like our hair, if wavy we want straight, if straight we want the wave.
I nursed two children and my are saggy sally but like the bikini thing, I don't plan to go around topless so I should be good. Having large breasts can be very uncomfortable and I have seen women miserable with their breast size for good reason. I think that would be the only time I would really consider breast surgery.
So I just downloaded a book called Eat Fat Lose Fat. Ever heard of it? I will let you know if I learn anything new. Does anyone keep track of their percentages of fat/protein/cals/carbs? I was reading a post about how to do that and how to figure your % based on your weight and body type. Confused the hell out of me I hate keeping food logs because it can get to be such a pain and you really need to. I have the site My Fitness Plan where you can enter your food and it gives you the % but I still hate to do it.
So let's see: today I had
B; protein shake (shocker right??)
L; chicken/spinach/tomato/parm cheese/coleslaw as my dressing
D; chicken salimbocca / salad hopefully that was on plan. I didn't have the pasta that came with the dinner..but the rest seemed to be
I brought egg salad, bacon, ostrim stick and two hard boiled eggs for snacking tonight and breakfast in the morning.
Well hope everyone sleeps well tonight...
PenPen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1sweettea1
Stats: 267/156/130
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: January 2013 after roux en y surgery Jan 2012
Ha! I love my nice, long, soft, crepey breastsicles and they look great when I roll them up and stuff 'em in my bra. hee! I've spent (wasted) my entire life trying to be something that I'm not to please a man and those days, my sistahs, are gone, gone, gone! Like me the way I am or keep moving, mister.

I've been listening to my James Taylor tapes a lot lately and they soothe my soul. You've all got me thinking about cheese. I'm going to the grocery store later today and I'm going to sniff delicately throughout the deli. Hope I don't get kicked out.

You ladies have the BEST menus!

Everyone have a great day!

sweetie ♥
1sweettea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Penpen - I understand Eat Fat Lose Fat, requires you to eat lots of coconut oil, milk and meat, as well as organic foods as much as possible. No sugars or flour, a few sprouted grains and limited artificial sweetners and preservatives. Almost similar to Atkins but you get to take in a lot more carbs. If you decide to give it a shot please keep us aware of your progress. I'm really curious.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Sweetie - I love how you call them 'breastsicles" They do get in the way occasionally, especially during bed time. When I toss & turn I have to remember to lift my boobs and turn them to the same side. Quite frustrating at times. The last time I reduced my weight my boobs went down dramatically, I was thrilled because I was finally able to wear those cute sexy bras that I luv so much. I'm hoping that will happen again, but if not...although I dislike surgery, we all have to do what makes us happy.

Last edited by sldeal; 01-30-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Old 01-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

This is for Cheryl (and everybody else)!

Cat trapped in a horses body | PetTube.com

It is SO cute! Little horsey was NOT going to be denied!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweettea1 View Post
This is for Cheryl (and everybody else)!

Cat trapped in a horses body | PetTube.com

It is SO cute! Little horsey was NOT going to be denied!
This is soooo adorable. Sweetie I agree, this is definitely for Cheryl! Thanks for sharing with the group.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Evening Ladies
I love the horse video!! Even the big babies are little babies right?
I am a tired puppy this evening. I worked until about 1:00pm and came home to take a nap. I needed to because I was tired but I don't really ever recover and feel refreshed. My BF and I went to the auction house for a little while so I would get up and get moving. I like to watch all the stuff that goes through those places.
Kinda depressed though, slipped on a pair of shorts and they seemed tighter than two weeks ago when I had them on WTH!
Today:
B: two eggs with 3 slices of bacon
S: ostrim stick
L: ...hum did I eat lunch?? couple spoonfuls of cool whip. I was to tired to think about it.
S: 2 handfuls of peanuts...bad I know
D: leftovers from last night - plus we ate late because of the auction.
So today was not really a good day for me.
Tomorrow is another day I guess. I will let you know if I find anything interesting in the new book.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Pen, you are something else! You've got way more energy than me but I know you have to do what you have to do in life sometimes when you'd rather turn your brain off and relax. I admire that!

Here's the damage from yesterday

B~ EAS protein shake and 2 c coffee with whipping cream and splenda
L~ Two bites of smoked salmon with 1 c of spinach
D~ Handful of bacon rinds

I know I should be eating more fats and stuff but some days it's so hard to get excited about eating. The monotony of the diet doesn't bother mem it's just that I have zero interest in eating anything. LOL I never DREAMED that I would ever say such a thing in my life! Lordy, it's a strange world that I now live in!

LOVE that horse video. Something that I have never seen before.

Stay safe!

sweetie ♥
Old 01-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
Hi Everybody

Just posting briefly as the place that is hosting the training is pretty low cost so I am having to be pretty creative about food. There is a swimming pool so I hope to swim tomorrow morning. It has rained each day that I have been here since Tuesday. Hopefully will catch up on Monday next week.
Take care and miss you all. Will try to connect using my cell tomorrow.
lola001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Lola: so happy to hear from you. I was getting worried.
Now where is that Cheryl girl???????? Are you frozen up there in CT???
Sweetie : are you still losing with such little food intake? Because I feel like I am gaining for some reason, my first reaction is to eat less. I know that is not the right response but I just don't know what I am doing wrong!! Bacon rinds? I saw those at the fair and wondered if they were any good. I am not very fond of the pork rinds.
What do you use in your protein shake? I read somewhere that people use a spoon full of SF instant pudding in their shake. I have done that a few times and it seems to make it a little thicker. Just wasn't sure if there was an artifical sweetner in there that I can't use.
I just don't get it....I am not eating a darn thing that I know of that I shouldn't eat. I have decided to cut out alcohol completely (or try to) not that I am a big drinker to begin with. It is just that "you can't" so "you want!"
I have a guy I work with that has been doing a diet with his wife. The low fat lower calories kinda thing. He was lost 15 lbs in about three weeks. Can I just tell you guys that is just PISSES ME OFF to hear about it. I am not eating all the crap either and ZIPPO for me.
Just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. You guys see what I am eating and I swear if I cheat with something I fess up
Sometimes I just feel like I should go ahead and eat what I want because I am not getting anywhere anyway. Just being a big whining baby today..sorry
Very wet weather today, we are supposed to be getting a little cold front coming through. BBRRRRR should be in the low 60's.
Well I hope everyone is having a good day, one more day until the weekend yeah!!
On call tonight so I hope these crazy people don't bother me! I need my beauty sleep. I did sleep like a rock last night. One of the benefits of working the odd shift. When I went to bed last night I don't even think my head hit the pillow before I was out!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #194
Big Yapper!

Sweetie, EAT. Go to Linda Sue's website or look through the ones on LCF in the recipe room and do yourself a favor. Make something and discover how great LC can be with just a little effort. It's so worth it! I could never last eating they way you are. No wonder you don't want to eat! Neither would I! Make it fun and don't forget: You are not eating nutritiously. We aren't just about weight loss, we want the best health we can achieve, too. (Too funny about the roll-up boobies!) I find James Taylor's Greatest Hits very soothing, too. When everything else on the radio is aggravating me as I'm driving, I turn on his CD and just decompress.

I LOVED that video! Thanks so much for posting it. That is a foal that has been gentled and handled from the moment it arrived in this world. I want one!

We miss you too, Lola! Please do try to check in using your phone. You need the added support. I'm sorry food is going to be a challenge there. I know you can find a way, girl. It's worth it! Remember that. And enjoy that pool! Hope the rain ends and the sun returns soon.

Pen, that auction must have been so fun! I'll bet you were glad you pushed yourself out the door to go. Thanks for the tip on using a lid on the coffee when using CO. It bloats and stalls me so I won't be using that again. Perhaps when I'm at goal, I can take that chance and start reaping the benefits of it. But not while I'm in losing-mode.

I used the deluxe american cheese for bread last night and I ate two "sliders" that I bought already made in the store. They had onion bits mixed into the ground beef so it was appealing. They were all out of the rotisserie chickens and I was so exhausted from my day that I had to find something fast and easy for dinner. The sandwiches were really nice! A very nice bread alternative and they held-up to the hamburger juice. Didn't get overly soggy on the bottom.

I wrote an E-NORmous post on my journal last night. It was all I could do to write it, so I did not post on other threads. I did put some bread crumbs in my siggy to draw people over to my journal to read about my day but I don't think any of you came. It's a great read and a day that I will remember. I learned some valuable lessons.

I am now down to 200.4 as of this morning. I was up 1.4 yesterday but chocked it up to having to get up to an alarm and go to a Dr's appointment. I guess I was at least partly right. Today I was down the entire bump plus one more lb! I'm almost in the 100's again and it feels good. I remember how good I felt in the low 180's and then the 160's. Anything below that will be virgin territory for this half of my life. I can't wait to see how good I can look and feel at age 50! I hope I look something like I did in my 20's and 30's but that's a lot to hope for.

Super windy here again today but the sun is shining and it is good for the Spirits. Today I plan to do nothing until I need to be at an important meeting for the farm at 7pm. It's about fundraising for the enclosed arena/barn that they are trying to get built. No idea how close they are to being able to start construction but when it begins, WOW. What an undertaking it will be. I want to be ready for the challenge cause I'm sure it will increase the work load all on down the line.

Today I will eat more "cheeseburgers" and keep it simple. Coffee with cream, maybe some tuna fish with mayo later tonight. Sweetie, if you like tuna fish, that's a great way to get a fatty, easy, satisfying meal on Atkins. I just eat it with a fork but since you like pork rinds, use those like crackers and scoop up the tuna salad on that crunchy rind. And use plenty of mayo! Don't be stingy.

Have an excellent day, ladies. to everyone else I didn't mention. Hope all is well. Donna, we miss you. Erica, you ever here with us anymore?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Penpen, Iím so sorry youíre feeling all down right now. Iíve been down that road and I know what itís like to do everything right and not see positive results. But please donít give up yet.

I found this site that might be interesting reading for you, or any of us, whoís been off & on lowcarb for a while. Iím not allowed to post sites but you can google ďWhy is low-carb harder the second time around?Ē the article is on the protein power website. The 3rd paragraph under "People learn to cheat..." is what hit me the hardest. Apparently our body remembers these diets we've been on and they become a lot more stubborn letting go of fat. Itís really interesting reading and anybody doing lowcarb the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th go round will really be able to understand whatís happening with their body after reading. This blog is by Dr. Michael Eades.

I was actually contemplating having a cheat day during Super Bowl (pizza), but after reading this, I know I have to stay on plan if my body is going to take me seriously.

Hang in there Penpen we can do this together!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #196
Big Yapper!

Here I am! Now I need to read your post, Penny.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #197
Big Yapper!

Oh! The alcohol thing. Yep! That'll do it to ya. I don't think it's your entire problem (Pen) but it's a large part of it.) I'll go back and read what you eat and try to see where you are slowing yourself down. I already weighed-in on my thoughts on protein shakes. I think it's better to eat something like scrambled eggs with cheese even if you cooked it the night before and nuked it for a couple minutes in the morning. Eat a bite here and there as you put on your makeup or whatever your morning routine is.

Your menu: Peanuts? (Legumes, not a nut) Cool Whip? I'm assuming sugar free but it still has carbs. What does it say for carb count? And what are the ingredients? If it's a long, long list, you shouldn't eat that crap. Ostrim stick? What's in those? Could there be some hidden stuff like MSG in there? And be careful with the bacon, too. All bacon has a little sugar but yours might have a little more than the lowest bacon.

I'm telling you, (and anyone struggling) the more time and effort, thought and preparation you put into your food, the better results you'll get and the happier you will be. I promise!!! And you will enjoy the journey so much more. You really do get out of it what you put into it. Just like everything else in life. Must be some kind of physics behind it. Maybe every action has a reaction? That might come close. You reap what you sow? Combine the two and you'll get what I'm saying. I want us to all be jumping up and down, living the LC life and eating yummy, decadent foods!

Getting back to the alcohol, is it Vodka or beer or wine? And if it's a hard liquor, what are you using for the mixer? There are so many things about alcohol consumption that screw you (us) up on Atkins. I know it sucks but it's true. I was reading my book a while back to refresh my memory on what's allowed on Induction and I came across something regarding alcohol that might help you understand what it really does when we drink in on Atkins.

Page 273 of "Dr Atkins Diet Revolution" (original book, which is what we do on this thread) says, "There are no studies to show just how inhibiting alcohol is on a low carb diet, but my clinical impression is alcohol is almost FMH-inhibiting as starches." (FMH being "fat mobilizing hormone.")

(OMG. My life is so dang hectic these days. I started this post about 40 minutes ago but with all the SNAFU's of life, I'm still trying to get my hands on the keyboard and finish it.)

Page 147 says a lot: "What you need to know about alcohol. Let's talk about alcohol, because for many of my patients, this is the number one problem in weight control. (then some blah blah blah I won't include.)

Alcohol is a powerful deterrent to a low carb diet. If you've read about "The Drinking Man's Diet", you know that alcohol is not usually considered a true carbohydrate. And if you enjoy a sociable drink, you will hit upon that fact to justify adding alcohol to your diet.

But this is one diet where alcohol acts like a carbohydrate. It makes your body discharge insulin and stops you from putting out FMH. There is no hard and fast rule about how much alcohol converts into gram-equivalents of carbs, because there is remarkable individual variation in this department.

But this rule of thumb that I use represents the best average value: For every ounce of 100 proof spirits, count 20 grams. In other words, one oz of 84 proof Scotch might be thought of as 16.8 grams. Or 4 oz of 24 proof wine might be counted as 19.2 grams."

Not sure where you find "24-proof wine". That seems a little stronger than any I've had, but I'm just quoting what he said. As far as FMH, please google that or research it in his book. This is a lot of work!

This is as much of a drag to me as it is to you because back in the day, I used to drink Vodka and crystal light liberally on Atkins and I lost 40 lbs in 4 months. Not bad! But I was in my mid-30's and not all that Hypothyroid yet. It was coming on me, though. Maybe at that point I had begun taking meds for it. I don't remember because it was so many years ago (1998.)

Last edited by CherylB; 01-31-2013 at 01:11 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Lola thanks for checking in. I'm glad you made it okay and everything is going well. If you can get a swim in that will be great and don't hurt your head too much over the food, just do what you can do.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #199
Big Yapper!

Thank you, sldeal! I'm going to go check that out. I want to understand why things are the way they are.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #200
Big Yapper!

Okay. Now I can just say how I'm doing in weight loss. I was up 1.4 yesterday but that was due to having too little sleep and waking to an alarm to get myself to a Dr appointment. Today that bump-up was gone and it took another whole lb with it. So I'm now on the edge of Onederland: 200.4 lbs.

So that means I'm down 8.4 lbs in the first 5 days on LC. Today is day 6. I'm trying to stick totally to what his book says to have on Induction. I used to saute things like mushrooms and onions in my scrambled egg concoctions from day one but this time I'm just following his rules closely. I only had onion yesterday because they were inside the pre made hamburgers I bought at the grocery store after my long, exhausting day at the farm.

I am saving cheese for snacking rather than adding it into my eggs, so the total cheese ounces for the day doesn't sneak up too high. I measure my half and half by putting my mug of coffee on the food scale, turning it on (so it says zero with the mug on it) and adding 1 oz of cream. That way I know how much I'm taking in. These are my slippery slopes on LC.

So getting back to booze, those of us () who love to drink just have to get used to the idea that it can't be an every day thing for us. It has to be a treat. Enjoyed on special occasions.

Was it Sldeal that said pizza was in her near future? Just scalp it! Try not to get too much sauce with the cheese and toppings and just eat the toppings with a fork. You'll be amazed at how much of the pizza taste just comes from the toppings. Yes, certain pizza places have great crusts. But if it's just your average ordinary pizza place, you won't be missing much. (Sugar's in the sauce so I don't go so far as to wipe it off with a paper napkin but YKWIM.)

I feel like "Miss Know-it-all" today. I hope I'm not coming across as "king of the hill." I just want to help rev up your plans! I hit those plateaus too but if it's something that we could be doing better, then all the better to know about it and fix it, so we can see those great scale numbers more frequently. Right? RIGHT!

This day is flying by. I had some issues with my stupid Android phone. Emails were coming in but I couldn't reply. It would say "connection error." It took over an hour and about 3 tries to get it fixed. I only have the cell phone so I had to write down the steps while I had the customer service rep on the line, then do all of them when I got off the phone. What a mess! Why does life have to be so wrought with complications? I know we have a lot of modern conveniences, but it has seriously increased the stress in our lives, too.

BBL. I'm going to exit this thread for a while.

ETA: I wasn't going to use cream cheese during Induction either, until I came across that yummy sauce recipe. Now that idea is out the window!

Last edited by CherylB; 01-31-2013 at 01:29 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, I wasn't sold on the protein drinks but since the surgery, my stomach is the size of a golf ball. My docs told me to start my day with them instead of solids so I wouldn't try to pack in too much food and stretch my stomach out within a few weeks. THAT scared me.
It's an easy fix to sip on the drink for 20 minutes, wait about an hour and sip my coffee down. I sometimes have a boiled egg for lunch and if I try to eat it all at once it feels like I used to feel after a quart of ice cream was shoveled down my gullet. I truly don't miss those days when I could (and would) scarf down an entire medium meat-lovers pizza by myself and feel like crap for the rest of the day.
My Lord, what made me think I was invincible all those years? The worst part of my lifestyle was peer pressure (it's not just for teenagers anymore!). I was surrounded by buffet-loving "big boned" people who would eat at the drop of a hat. It didn't help that I lived in Ohio where the state beverage is gravy and the state bird is deep fried and in abundance at any local Amish restaurant. If you didn't eat you immediately became the center of attention. Didn't care for that. Eat or not eat, you were danged if you did or danged if you didn't. A lose-lose situation.
Oh, Cheryl, that phone of yours! I learned long ago to never buy anything that was smarter than me. lol The list is now endless. I am dumber than a box of hair. Just ask the hair.
Yep, breasticles are what I have. I wear a bra in a size 38 long. I can't have nipple rings because they would scrape the ground and probably spark a fire. Woe is me. ~snort!~

Last edited by 1sweettea1; 01-31-2013 at 02:54 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the input guys. No Cheryl I don't think you are a know it all by any means. I asked for the advice. Ok I will try and let go of the protein shakes for a while. Going to check out your journel too.
When I had a drink I would have vodka and diet coke. I am not a real big wine drinker or beer drinker. I was really wanting to have a little something tonight but I kept my promise not to.
Made a good dinner for myself tonight I think:
ground turkey
cabbage
onion
garlic
cooked the turkey,onion and garlic together first. Then I added the shredded cabbage with little bit of chicken broth and the Briggs amino acid. It tasted really good. I also added the last of my slaw into it and mixed it up. The cold mixed with the warm was really good.
Today:
B; my last protein drink, 1 fat bomb (i will explain that one in a sec)
L; salad, chicken, slaw for dressing and 1 tbs of chopped bacon
D: look up

Lots of water to drink with lemon or Mio drops. I haven't been drinking diet soda or tea, just my coffee. Maybe I should stop with the CO in my coffee for two weeks and see what happens? It was just an easy place to up the fat I thought. Maybe not?
For the fat bombs, I told you they were gross and they still are, but I took them out of the freezer and let them thaw some and they are ok.
Wish you guys could come to the auction! They sell just about anything you can think of at this thing. We told my son they had signed Dwayne Wade shoes and he almost choked He loves basketball (this month anyway) and loves Miami Heat. In case you don't know who he is, D Wade is one of the big players on Miami's team.
Heading out for my walk, I had to stop last night because my knee was really
hurting me. Planning to wear my knee brace tonight so I can finish.
SL thanks for the info and I will check out that site when I get a chance.
Thanks for the support ladies...I will not give up just yet. Thinking of going out to by the Adkins 72 book. What do you think?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl thanks for the advice on the pizza, I had planned to eat the topping only, but then again I know me. Thatís like an alcoholic telling you heís only going to take a sip. Anyway after reading that write up about lowcarbs being harder the second time around I know I have to stick with my plan. Maybe one day Iíll be one of those fortunate people who lose all their weight and get to go on maintenance, maybe then, Iíll sneak in the pizza, but for now Iím content with what Iím eating.

Iím cheering you on to Onderland!

Penpen Ė it appears you are so close to your goal, only 7lbs to go, maybe thatís why youíre not seeing immediate results. Iím sure I read somewhere that the closer you get to your goal, the more difficult it is to lose. Youíll probably have to do some tweaking or perhaps try induction again. If you can get Atkins 72 that will help you a lot, I know itís been a tremendous help to me. Although there were lots of discussions on various forums about Atkins I didnít realize I had done so many things wrong lowcarbing until I read the book.

Sweetie Iím still cracking up over the breasticles and nipple ringsÖ. Iím wondering is it okay for you to do LC since having surgery? Especially with LC being high in fats & protein, and your stomach being reduced it doesn't take much to get you full. I canít imagine eating a boiled egg and getting full quicklyÖ. How I wish I had your problem.

Enjoy your evening everybody!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #204
Senior LCF Member

sideal, it's a strange new world for me since the surgery but basically, since it didn't cure me of my diabetes, the Atkins 72 is perfect for me. I am super sensitive to carbs; my body cannot deal with carbs.
I'm supposed to eat good proteins with little vegetable intake. The exact image of Atkins 72. This diet was repeatedly brought up in the nutritional classes as ideal for the majority of the surgery patients to follow for the rest of our lives. They repeatedly warned us of the SF, FF treats that are out there and told us to rewire our brains and own our own futures.
I've lost 100lbs in a year but I am just hitting a rough patch where food does not appeal to me at all. I'm really supposed to be eating every 2-3 hoirs but I just can't do that anymore. I go to see my doctor in 2 weeks and hopefully she will give me some tips.

lola, hope you get to swim tomorrow. Swimming is such fun and you'll sleep great!

sweetie ♥
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #205
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweettea1 View Post
Yeah, I wasn't sold on the protein drinks but since the surgery, my stomach is the size of a golf ball. My docs told me to start my day with them instead of solids so I wouldn't try to pack in too much food and stretch my stomach out within a few weeks. THAT scared me.
It's an easy fix to sip on the drink for 20 minutes, wait about an hour and sip my coffee down. I sometimes have a boiled egg for lunch and if I try to eat it all at once it feels like I used to feel after a quart of ice cream was shoveled down my gullet. I truly don't miss those days when I could (and would) scarf down an entire medium meat-lovers pizza by myself and feel like crap for the rest of the day.
My Lord, what made me think I was invincible all those years? The worst part of my lifestyle was peer pressure (it's not just for teenagers anymore!). I was surrounded by buffet-loving "big boned" people who would eat at the drop of a hat. It didn't help that I lived in Ohio where the state beverage is gravy and the state bird is deep fried and in abundance at any local Amish restaurant. If you didn't eat you immediately became the center of attention. Didn't care for that. Eat or not eat, you were danged if you did or danged if you didn't. A lose-lose situation.
Oh, Cheryl, that phone of yours! I learned long ago to never buy anything that was smarter than me. lol The list is now endless. I am dumber than a box of hair. Just ask the hair.
Yep, breasticles are what I have. I wear a bra in a size 38 long. I can't have nipple rings because they would scrape the ground and probably spark a fire. Woe is me. ~snort!~
I'm sorry, sweetie! I keep forgetting it was you who had the WLS. Sometimes it helps to add that in the details section, below your Avi. Say "WTS/Atkins 72". That way I won't keep forgetting and I'll stop trying to save you.

You are cracking me UP, girl. Tell me again how much you lost after the WLS. How far to go? Forgive me but I quoted your post and now I can't see your details. If I were you and had me some long uns, I'd get 'em nipped off soon as I could. I find breasts utterly (OMG; I can't believe I just wrote that) pointless. I never had kids and I don't have a man who enjoys them. So other than filling out a bra (way too full), they just hang around and annoy the heck of out me. Move em here, tuck em there. Stuff em in the other thing! Whack em off! That's what I say. Put those nice, tiny store-bought ones in and call it a day.

Yes, I really do wish they were gone. Not that I'm hoping for breast cancer, but they serve no purpose on me. Nough said.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

SL : actually I am not close to where I want to be. I am 150lb and I would like to be 135lb. I know it is only 10 or 15lbs but I haven't lost anything really doing this diet so I am doing something wrong. I am going to go this weekend and get the Adkins 72 book. I also have a doctors appt on Wednesday and hoping she will check a few things with blood work.
Finished my walk tonight but my knee was hurting by the time I finished. I think I am going to try my bike again and see if that helps.
Sweetie: WOW 100 lbs! That is like losing another person. You must feel like a new woman. Just be careful, I know you can't eat large meals but you do need to eat. Your body needs the fuel to keep you healthy.
So I just wanted to give you guys an update about the chia seeds. Remember i started eating them? Well if you decide to try them be careful, they make you poop like a bunny. REALLY! I decided to take a break from them for a little while. I cut back to only 1 TBS but still having the same issue.
Well good night again!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #207
Big Yapper!

Penny, did you recently start taking the CO or have you been using it for a long time? That really could be your problem! When I started taking it, immediately my weight jumped up about 2.5 lbs and it would not drop one smidge for days upon days. When I gave up and stopped taking it, POOF! Weight loss resumed.

Your meal sounds like it was yummy! Good for you! I'm sorry about your knee. I hope it feels a lot better tomorrow.

Ladies, I just saw that there are still two more posts to read and respond to and I'm just to tired to continue. It's 2215 and I was at a meeting for almost 2 hours tonight regarding the strategic plan for the farm I work at. It was their very first and it made my head spin. The questions some people would come up with! And it was about 3 or 4 straight questions about "how much is this going to cost?" I spoke up and asked one just to get us out of the financial whole we were in. It felt like our meeting had been infiltrated by naysayers. I wasn't going to just sit there and let it keep going on and on and on.

Anyway, I bought a rotisserie chicken on the way home (after I stopped for some gas) and ate that sucker all the way home. Then naturally my dog wanted some. She's hysterical. She LOVES chicken. What a turkey. Har har har.

Night! Will complete posts and responses tomorrow. I'm sure you'll survive without me.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Yes Cheryl I have been doing the CO for about three months. Actually longer but I had stopped for a while and then started again. I am going to take it out and see what happens. I need to figure this thing out!! What is your take on the lunch meats? People eat it and then I read you should stay away from it. Nitrates I get it but I would have to sell my kids to afford going to Whole Foods and buy all this stuff without this and that.....
What is it that you think is bad with the protein shake? Can I still use my unsweetened vanilla almond milk? I am also going to buy HWC and start using that in my coffee instead of the SF creamer.
I understand about the long meetings. Sometimes I think people talk just to hear themselves talk. You just want to look at them and say "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??"
Well it is Friday
B: 2 fried eggs with butter and 2 strips of bacon got my butt up a few minutes earlier.
Off for a fun day at the VA!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

My hardcover Atkins 72 book came today. Got it off Amazon for $10.00 with shipping. Have had my nose stuck in it for 2 hours and what a delight it is to read a rational lifestyle changing book. I hope they never do away with real books, I just love the feel of sitting down and losing the stress with new insights and knowledge.
Also, I'm down 5lbs in the last 14 days. I only weigh myself every other Friday to keep from going insane(er) and am always surprised to see a loss. I guess that comes from a lifetime of diet anxiety and fear. Happily, I've never gone back up on the scales but I don't want to get cocky and think that I'm bulletproof.

lol Cheryl, you can try to save me from myself anytime you feel the need! As for the boobage, I'm with you gal! I was always the son that my daddy never had so I have no romantic ideas about boobs. meh The biggest boobs in my life have been men. nuff said. I don't envy you ANY kind of meeting. I hate to be involved with small minds and people with self-serving interests. Too much unnecessary drama for me.

Today is kitchen day here. I've got the oven heating up and will bake two family packs of chicken legs to have as a quick meal. Also have a 10lb roll of hamburger to divvy up and turn into meatballs and patties. Going to grate up a big wedge of parmesan cheese and turn that into those crispy baked "cheeseflakes" snacks.
I've also got a 2lb pack of bacon to fry up for grab and go snacks... I get the package out and open it up, then I slice right down the middle to make short bacon strips (easier to fry) When I grab a wedge of slices, I turn the stack on it's side and trim away any pure fat sections and save them until I am finished frying up the strips. I then drain the fat from the skillet and slap all the tips and ends down and fry them on low for about an hour. Scoop them out when they are golden brown, drain on paper towels and store in baggies when they cool. There's no meat on these pieces and they render down into yummy little nuggets of goodness that are perfect for salad greens, omelets, spaghetti squash/broccoli toppings or a hand full of quick goodies. You can also throw them into soups to give a little more flavor. It's all good!

Ladies, please have a lovely Friday and a safe and productive weekend!

sweetie ♥♥♥

HaPpY FeBrUaRy!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #210
Senior LCF Member

I retrieved this from Michael Eades Blog - Tips & Tricks for starting (restarting) Low carb.

Some of this is what we probably know already, but I like to think of it as a refresher

Eat more fat

If you want to reduce the time you spend in low-carb adaptation, crank up the fat. If you go on a high-protein, moderate-fat diet (Schwatkaís reindeer diet), your body will convert the protein to glucose via gluconeogenesis, so youíll still have glucose to keep the glucose worker enzymes busy and will prolong the conversion to fat and ketones as your primary energy source.

So Rule Number One to reduce the time spent in low-carb adaptation purgatory is: Donít be a wuss when you start your low-carb way of eating. Keep the carbs cut to the minimum and load up on the fat. Eat fatty cuts of meat, cooked in butter or lard if you want, and force your body over to using the fats and ketones for energy as nature intended. I mean, donít try to be noble by eating boneless, skinless chicken breasts Ė instead insert some pats of butter under the skin of a chicken leg and thigh before cooking, and wolf them with your fingers while the fat drips down your arms. Do not trim the fat from your steaks Ė eat them from the fat side in. If you leave anything on your plate, make sure itís the meat and not the fat. If you donít already, learn to love bacon, and donít cook it Ďtil the fat is all gone: eat it wobbly. Wallow in Mangalitsa lardo. And whatever you do, for Godís sake, donít listen to your body during this adaptation period or youíll never cross the chasm between fat and miserable on your high-carb diet and slim, happy, energetic and low-carb adapted on the other side.