Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
Hi Everybody
thanks for the kind words of support re my mum- It is a huge thing in my family and right now I am hoping that wiht proper medical care she will be back to my normal mum again.

Pen - ooh such great motivation: a trip to Hawaii- you could use it as a reward for the good progress made. With regard to your knee, bst not to agravate it and watch some of those yoga poses as it is a lot of stretching- I did a bit of yoga for a year and you get quite limber. but if you have a problem, you need to avoid some activities. Just a note- if you have gym membership, have you throught about swimming? the weightlessness of being in the water is great for problem knees and you get good cardio.
Hi Cheryl- I think SL scrambles her eggs- I do that too.
Yay for being back on LC - I really enjoy having you on the LC trip. You eat such good food!
And don't write 2012 off just yet- It was a year in which you got pretty low down on the scale so it shows that you know how to work the programme, you just need to learn how to stay on plan long term like me. Success goes to our heads and we eat to celebrate.
I make the egg muffins in muffin trays and I also have those silicone cupcake holders which would work just as well.
SL- hope you had a restful evening and today is much calmer.

I must say now that my urgent work deadlines are out of the way for now, I am taking time to smeell the roses and enjoy my surroundings and get to know the people around me in my new work place.

Take care and hope you all enjoyed the inauguration celebrations- it is all over the telly.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PenPen13
Stats: 150/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 09/09/11
Well the gym membership I had was for three months at a time. I didn't want to go for longer because I didn't want to keep paying if I didn't use it. It was costing me about $50 a month but they really didn't have anything special. No pool, spa, not to many classes and some of the stuff always seemed to be broken. I did ride the bike most of the time for the cardio and that was ok on my knee. I would just get bored with that and move on to something else that I knew I shouldn't be using...and paid for it later.
Hawaii should be awesome if we go. My BF lived there for about 18 months so he knows his way around. I am just hoping that if we go I might get to run into Steve McGarrett from Hawaii 5-O Maybe if I am bad??? He is SO CUTE!!! Ok but really it looks beautiful there. I would also love to go to Alaska before I die.
Cheryl good luck with the horses! I am an animal lover myself and would overlook my distaste for physical labor if I was helping an animal. It is a good thing you do and they are lucky to have someone like you taking care of them. I never understood how people can be so cruel to animals. I hate those commercials where they show all the pets people have abandoned or neglected.
ok off to work.... Happy Hump day!
PenPen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 144/132/120
Good morning to all - Lola, Cheryl, Pen and any others that I have missed. Hope all are doing well.
After a while being away from low carb trying to get the scale moving again, I am going to start low carbing again. I lost around 40# low carbing and have lost a few # after being stalled on low carb and have around 10 or so to go. Thought maybe if I went back to low carb I could get to my goal this time. I have never gotten down to my goal weight and have been at this for years.

Cheryl, glad to see that you are back on low carb so we will get started together.

Lola, what do you put in the egg muffins? Sorry if I missed a post that told about them.
Sounds like they would be handy to have to take along.

Today's menu:
B - 2 eggs, butter
L - 4 oz turkey, salad, mayo dressing
D - 4 oz beef, salad, mayo dressing
Lots of water

Glad to be back on low carb and hope all have a great day.
hopetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Pen - that gym does not sound very nice. Hmm- Hawaii and Alaska - such extremes! I would also like to go.
At the moment I want to go to Bali with hubby and Egypt with my sister so savings are happening so that we can do these trips this year.

Hope - glad to see you back. It is awful how fast those lbs just climb back onboard.
The egg muffins are good to have in the fridge as backup meals.
I use 6 eggs, a bit of whipping cream, a chopped tomato and some olives and top with grated cheddar cheese once I've poured them into a muffin tray.
sometimes you can add a bit of meat- chopped ham or bacon or chicken, depending on what you feel like eating or what you have in your fridge. I always top with cheese to upp the fat content.
I then put them in the oven to bake for 20 mins at 180 degree celcius. I generally make them in the morning, stick them in the oven, hop into the shower and once I come out they are done.

I went to the gym and pushed myself a bit- I did a 40 min workout on the treadmill (20 min run and then a further 20 min walk run combination)
I really worked up a sweat. Once I came back from the gym where I did take a shower I was called into a meeting and I had to apologise for sweating so much!
I did not want them to think I had hygiene problems.
I was so proud that I pushed myself a bit further today. I will do the same tomorrow. I will make 40 min my time limit as I do my workout during my lunch break but I will up my speed and incline to make myself work harder and see how many kilometers I can do in a session.
Reading New rules for lifting for women again - will probably get myself a personal trainer to tone up once I've dropped two dress sizes.

Hope that you all are having a great day!
lola001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Pen - just googled Steve Mcgarrett - yummy! eye candy galore!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1sweettea1
Stats: 267/156/130
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: January 2013 after roux en y surgery Jan 2012
Hello everyone. Hope you don't mind if I join you on this thread. I did Atkins way back in the 70's with much success so I'm back again for a lifestyle change that won't be dropped for any reason. This style of eating will be my "forever" WOE.

A little backstory~ I'm 60 years old and freshly divorced from a 55yo man who wanted to be 18 again but couldn't while he had such an old wife. So, for my 30th wedding anniversary, he went out and had an affair with his 40 yo secretary. Hid it for an entire year while he was taking vacations with her under the guise of traveling for work. Liked it so much that he bought a timeshare in Orlando with her in July of 2011. Meanwhile, I'm at home totally clueless. Up until the moment I stumbled upon his deception I would have staked my life that he would never be "that guy". Boy, did I ever underestimate the power of the "mid-life crisis".

So, while this drama was going down, my health was getting worse by the day. I have Type II diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, cataracts in both eyes, 4 heart stents, hair loss and I'm short and round. =D

Because I was on so many meds for diabetes (7 shots of 3 different insulins plus 12 oral meds every day) and no diet worked (I gained weight on an 800 calorie a day diet) my doctor wanted me to do gastric bypass surgery to cure the diabetes. This was a request that I didn't take lightly and it took a full 12 months of counseling, tests, psych evaluations for my insurance to approve the surgery.

I booted him out in January of last year (he immediately moved in with the secretary) and since my surgery had already been scheduled for March, I went through everything alone. I had the Roux en Y surgery and sailed through it without a problem (except 4 months after I lost all my hair, which is normal). My hair is back and I've lost a lot of weight this past year and now it's time to plan maintenance. All the doctors that are involved with my care have (kinda surprisingly to me) recommend the original Atkins regime. Since my stomach is now the size of a golf ball and i need proteins they told me that the unprocessed way is the only way that I can live. I'm not much for processed foods anyway, I'm a cheap date.

Oh, and the surgery and my diabetes? Turns out I'm one of the luck 10% that the surgery didn't cure. Won't see a show about THAT on Dr Oz. =) But, I'm down to one insulin a day now with only 4 oral meds and a handful of really great vitamins. My numbers are good and I'm feeling great.

I'm doing very well now and am settling into a new lifestyle and routines and feel like I've been given a second chance in life. So, with that in mind, I'm going to prowl these boards and learn all I can to improve my life even more. Accountability is now #1 on my list for everything.

If it's ok with you, I'll call this group my home.

Sweetie ♥
1sweettea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sldeal
Stats: 187/165/150
WOE: Atkins 72/Fast5
Start Date: December 27, 2012
Good morning all,
Hopetolose Ė glad to have you with us. Hopefully this thread will finally help you to get down to your goal this year!

Cheryl Ė Iím happy to see youíre ready to get back on board with LC. Iím a carb addict like you. Once I get it in my mouth I canít stop, honestly, I keep wanting more and more. This is like my 3rd time LC but I realize I did a lot of stuff wrong the first two times because I didnít have the book. I ate too much cheese and nuts, and then started exploring recipe boards with a bunch of low carb foods where I found myself longing for higher carbs and then BAM Iím back into carbs again. This time around Iím keeping it simple, ďIf I never ate it before, Iím not missing anything. Eat what I know and keep it LC.Ē

I scramble and poach my eggs in the microwave and they turn out great. I also cook my egg muffins in the microwave using silicon muffin pans. Itís quick & easy Ė as you can tell Iím a very lazy cook.

Lola Ė itís good to see youíre pushing yourself in the gym. I think thatís how I lost most of my weight the first time I tried LC. I stayed at gym 5-6 days week alternating between weight lifting & the treadmill, my weight didn't come off fast, but the inches poured off. I made it to a size 10! I did the gym for about 2 years and then got bored and went into swimming at the beach. I fell in love with swimming, that helped to tone me up, but a few years later they started talking about sharks, stingrays, etc. I got scared and stopped going into the water. The one or two times I did go into the water, I was paranoid. Just recently I got into walking and then jogging, did well until I messed up my knee. My knee is getting better but itís going to take a while. About 3 months ago I got into boxing, loved it, but I just recently had some minor surgery so Iím restricted to limited arm movement for another week or two. Lots of setbacks, but I'm determined.

Penpen Ė Glad you and your BF had a terrific time together. It will be great if you can make it to Hawaii; I hear itís beautiful and you can actually get to see an active volcano. How neat is that! Don't forget, the best thing about being a tourist is that nobody knows you, so you can get by with wearing anything. Also, youíre so close to your goal right now, think of all the teeny weenie clothes youíll be able to squeeze into if you stay on track! Youíll have lots of curves to show off

Oh, well I have to find a way to calm my growling stomach, Iím getting hungry but my eating window isnít until 2pm. You would think I'll be use to this by now.

Have a great day everybody!

"Remember, your tape measure is a better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat losses..." Dr. Atkins

Mini Goals
Size 12 - April 2013 - Goal met April 1, 2013
Size 10 - Nov 2013
Size 8 - April 2014 (this will take a miracle)
sldeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #128
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Home, Sweetie! Wow! You have quite a back-story. Thanks so much for laying it all out there for us in your first post. It helps us to really grasp where you're coming from. You have come to the right place! This thread was my home base when I first joined LCF back in 2009 and I've always stuck with this group even when I wasn't doing Atkins.

Forgive me for not getting into personals right now. I have to get ready for my first "solo flight" at the horse farm in just a few hours and I trying to get caught up on some threads in the meantime. It's really nice to see our thread growing in size! Feeling more like the good old days. Now if Erica and Donna will come back and hang with us on a regular basis, (forgive me for not mentioning any others that were from back then), we'd be all set.

Thanks for sharing how to make those egg muffins in the cupcake pans. I need to buy a new non-stick pan to make those in. Those would be great to grab and go after a quick reheat in the micro. Perfect! That will be a part of my regular weekly meal plan.

Can you explain how you do the egg scramble and poaching in the microwave? I need details! Thank you.

Go back to swimming!!! You live in the Bahamas, so you need to get over the fear. Just look at how many swimmers and divers are in the water and calculate that number against the number of incidents over one years time and then you'll see the probability of a problem. I'll bet you're more likely to be involved in a bad car accident. I hate how the media has to fill us with fear! We need to just live our lives. I think we're never more alive than when we are taking risks.

Do you snorkel or SCUBA? Oh, man. If I lived where you live, I certainly would be doing one or the both of those.

You're that hungry before your eating window? (She does the Fast 5 along with Atkins.) Maybe make it Fast 4 and see if that works better for you. You can make that anyway you want to in order to have it meet your needs. Your body clearly wants to eat more often than every 5 hours.

Getting back to what Penpen said, I wouldn't pay that kind of money to go to that sort of gym, either. What a waste! My gym has everything but a steam room. I hate those, anyway. They don't have an indoor track, either (nor an outdoor one.) They don't have a ski machine or one of those Jacob's Ladder things either but they seem to have a few of most everything else. Basketball courts, racquetball courts, fitness classes in the pool and out of the pool, etc. I need to get my lazy arse back there soon.

Lola, you're an inspiration to us all! And to do it during your workday is phenomenal. WTG on getting up at 5 and planning to run on the trails before work. I like that plan better.

Well, so much for no personals! I'm an addictive personality and I guess personals have become one of my healthier addictions.

I hope we all have a great day! I will be out in about 14 degree weather taking care of the horses, goats and minis for about 3 hours. I will be spending the rest of the night thawing out. Wish me luck! Today is my first day on my own.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 144/132/120
Thank you, Lola. I will be making the muffins this evening and am looking forward to having one tomorrow morning.

Cheryl, take care out there in that 14 deg. weather.

Nice meeting you, Sweetie.
hopetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Oh boy...so I did some measurements tonight and can you believe not a darn thing. WTH!! ...well I guess I will just keep going and at least I have you guys. I just don't understand how so many people have lost so much wt with this and I just do nothing!! Maybe it just isn't the right type of diet for my body?
today:
B; protein shake
L; chicken on salad with ranch and one egg
S: muffin/cheese stick
D: right now I don't want anything because I am pouting!!!

Anyway enough about me:
Lola : you crack me up that you googled him. He is really worth the google though right??! I could be a bad girl if he would arrest me for sure.
Good job on the workouts too. It really makes you feel good when you push those minutes. I am missing the gym just listening to you! I just need to get my lazy butt moving.

SL : thanks - I know Hawaii would be great and I need to stop letting something like clothes ruin it for me.
Sweetie : welcome to our group. We are here for you with all the support you need!
Hope: My muffins are almost like Lola said. I use 8 eggs, 1/2 lb gd sausage, splash of HWC. I cook the sausage then put a little on the bottom of the muffin tin. Mix the eggs and cream and pour over sausage. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and bake 350 degrees for about 20-25 mins. Just until they are a little brown on top. They are very filling. So when you are doing the boxing are you hitting a bag or someone's gloved hand? My boys would love that!
Old 01-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenPen13 View Post
Oh boy...so I did some measurements tonight and can you believe not a darn thing. WTH!! ...well I guess I will just keep going and at least I have you guys. I just don't understand how so many people have lost so much wt with this and I just do nothing!! Maybe it just isn't the right type of diet for my body?
today:
B; protein shake

Anyway enough about me:
Lola : you crack me up that you googled him. He is really worth the google though right??! I could be a bad girl if he would arrest me for sure.
Good job on the workouts too. It really makes you feel good when you push those minutes. I am missing the gym just listening to you! I just need to get my lazy butt moving.

SL : thanks - I know Hawaii would be great and I need to stop letting something like clothes ruin it for me.
Sweetie : welcome to our group. We are here for you with all the support you need!
Hope: My muffins are almost like Lola said. I use 8 eggs, 1/2 lb gd sausage, splash of HWC. I cook the sausage then put a little on the bottom of the muffin tin. Mix the eggs and cream and pour over sausage. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and bake 350 degrees for about 20-25 mins. Just until they are a little brown on top. They are very filling. So when you are doing the boxing are you hitting a bag or someone's gloved hand? My boys would love that!
Cheryl : so sorry about the 14 degrees! bbbbrrrr snuggle up to a fire and warm yourself up. Hope you had a good first solo day.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #132
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenPen13 View Post
today:
B; protein shake

Anyway enough about me:

You aren't losing weight or inches or just not seeing losses with the tape measure? I don't bother measuring because it's so hard to really be sure you're measuring in the exact same place that you measured the time before. There have been times when I've dropped weight but measured greater than I did the time before! WTH??? That's why I don't measure. I guess when I get down to a pretty lean frame, measuring with make a lot more sense.

You could be right, though. One diet does not fit all. What other plans have you done in the past that produced results and made you feel well? It might be worth reconsidering your approach. I surely wouldn't be doing Atkins if I didn't need to. I love carbs too much.

In fact, since I'm not on Atkins just yet, I'm making Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice dish in the microwave right now! That stuff is TO DIE FOR. And I add sour cream to it. The entire box is what I consider "a serving." It's about 800 calories BEFORE you add the sour cream. OMG. Heaven!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #133
Big Yapper!

Are we talking about the same Hawaii 5-0 guy from way back when? I'm having trouble understanding the drooling going on here. I must be missing something. LOL!

I did my first barn/farm thing. It took 3.5 hours and I never so much as stopped to take a single sip of my hot (not so much) coffee that I brought with me. We aren't supposed to go beyond 3 hours for the pm feed. If you go over, you need to write in the margin of the time sheet the reason why you went over. I wrote, "All alone." That should cover it.

I'd gladly work longer if I wasn't going to have to defend myself. Ya know? I'd love to have all the stalls thickly-padded and all the paddocks clean and raked of all their scattered piles of hay. I'd also love to spend some quality time with the dog who is mourning the absence of his owner, who is a Paramedic at work on the second shift. And the bunnies need cuddling and the goats need to be brushed and the horses all need their coats (sheets) to be checked for proper fitting and all that jazz.

My Mother was worried about me. She always wants me to text her the minute I get home, when she knows I've been out. Because it was so cold, she texted me three times and after I finally saw the texts and replied, she called me before it had a chance to reach her. I'm about to eat breakfast, for crying out loud! It's almost 9 pm, y'all.

I worked from 3-6:30, then took her dog out to go potty. Dog didn't want to go back up to the apartment so I decided to bring kibble down to office and let him hang out with the bunnies. I wrote a long, detailed note for manager to find when she got back home and almost the minute I was planning to head out the door and lock up behind me, she called to talk.

Got home and discovered my dog had diarrhea. Her first accident since we moved into this duplex last May. She has chosen her accident corner. Unfortunately, it's on the carpet and not the tile or linoleum. Don't know what got her belly in a twist but I can't hold it against her. When you gotta go, you gotta go. There's no point in trying to shame her cause I'm sure it was all she could do to hold it in for as long as she did. Poor old girl.

So I fed her, put her out to finish her business and got down on hands and knees with plastic bags, disposable gloves, paper towels and Clorox wipes to clean up the mess. Then I lit a stick of incense to take away the smell. Yuck.

I did a really good job today and I'm proud of myself. The horses and goats and other animules are happy and doing well. I only wish I could turn up the thermostat on CT tonight. We need to at least be in the 20's. Single digits just suck! It's 5.2 degrees in my yard (where the outdoor thermometer is sending me its reading into the kitchen.) FIVE DEGREES! I used to live in TX, AZ and NV, and spent many moons in South FL. This kind of cold is for the freaking birds.

Speaking of birds, on the drive to the farm this afternoon, I saw a few Canada Geese laying along side the road near the pond that is behind our property. It was very unusual and it made me slow down to check them out. Shouldn't they be down south somewhere where it's warm? Fly away, you stupid geese! Lord knows I would if I were you! Shoe!!

My very high carb, very yummy and sinful dinner is ready. Off to go eat it now. Looking forward to losing weight and feeling better, but will miss these indulgences. I will mourn them and have to remind myself that this stuff is toxic for me.

Night, ladies. Love yous! Stay warm, dry, and comfortable.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

good morning everybody!
Temperatures in the high 30s here about 35degrees. Will probably be hotter- some areas in South Africa are experiencing highs in the 40s. (Sweat!- no aircon in the office).
Well TOM has decided to visit so I feel round and bloated. yuck. Such a great day to swim but i will give it a pass. I have a pretty state of the art gym that I go to with a swimming pool, sauna, steam room, squash courts and pretty up toi date equipment and I don't pay a cent for it as long as I visit at least 24 times a year and retain the medical aid that I have which gives me the gym membership as part of their healthy lifestyle campaign.
I am in a pretty celebratory mood as our National team has finally won a match in the Africa Cup of Nations- It was starting to look a bit embarrassing that we could not win a game asn we are the host nation.

No weighing until TOM is over.
Breakfast today was a protein shake and lunch is two scrambled eggs and cheese. Can't wait for tomorrow to finally have money.

Sweetie - glad you found a solution that works for you - naturally with your medical conditions you are more careful and it is helpful that we know and cna take that into account when we comment or offer advice. Bummer with the man issues. My man is also 5 years younger than me. I look younger than him but I am sure that by the time I roll around to 60 the age difference will catch up. All I can say is MEN!

SL - you put me to shame. you have so much energy. get back into the water, even at a swimming pool- it will also be good therapy for your knee.

cheryl- yay on surviving the solo duty and those animals are sure lucky to have you taking care of them. shame - poor pooch probably felt bad about the mess as well. Hope you are warming up. Maybe this is a new series with the old name - all I know is that that was some fine body -and if it is Hawaii - he is strutting his shirtless body all over the beach. (drool)
Pen- the inches will start falling away. don't feel demotivated. you are on the right track. I packed my gym bag today as well and I hope the TOM lethargy does not stop me from going for a workout.

Have a great day everybody.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Everybody

Just came back from the gym. Did a 40 min workout on the treadmill again. 20 minutes of running and then 20 min walk mostly. My energy levels are a bit down so I had to push myself to do the run and go a little beyond yesterday. So I managed to run 2.2km today and the walk was at a really brisk pace allowing me to do 2km. Small progress but with TOM making an appearance I did alright.
I also did a good stretch.

Still could not get out the door this morning and walk at 5am. I had a good think about spreading my workout throughout the day so I get to walk/run in the morning and maybe lift weights or swim at lunch time. I do want to do some kind of workout in the morning. I was a little bit daunted by the early hour as it seems that the mornings are getting cooler and darker for longer - I am wondering if Autumn is coming a little sooner?
This will obviously affect morning workouts if it gets colder.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Good morning everybody yesterday turned out well for me. Got busy, didnít have a chance to think about food, and before I knew it my 2pm window had passed, and I wasnít hungry. Didnít eat until 2:30, but I felt I could have gone until 3pm.

Iím going to have to watch drinking crystal lite in the mornings (I usually drink it in the evening after dinner). I had a cup this morning and 30 min after drinking I felt I was starving, I couldnít figure out what was happening. I had to drink a cup of black coffee to kill my appetite. Actually, the only two times I drink coffee is when I have a headache or when I want to kill my appetite. It taste awful but it always work.

Sweettea weíre glad to have you in our group, the more the merrier! You and I have almost the same story. My hubby suffered from infidelity, and couldnít figure out why I had a problem with it. And then because he was doing it he assumed I was doing the same. After a few years I figured it wasnít worth the stress and got divorced. A year or two later he got married, a year later he got divorced. So, I guess that meant he was the problem and not me! We were married for about 18yrs, but to be honest, I have no regrets, no let me retrack, my only regret is that I didnít divorce him sooner. Iíve been happy and at peace with myself ever since. Yeah, we had some good times, but those bad times far out weight those good times. The best thing that ever happened to me is when I learned to LOVE ME. During our marriage I always felt it was my fault, and that I should try harder. But it is what it is. I have a wonderful DS and a great BF but best of all LIFE IS NO LONGER COMPLICATED. You sound like youíre on the right track, just keep it up. Continue to Love yourself!

Cheryl Iím glad your first solo experience was a good one, although I donít know how you can work in that frigid weather. The eggs are easy, just mix in a bowl (add butter if you like), nuke in microwave 30 sec to 1 minute, stir, and nuke again. My microwave cooks pretty fast so if Iím using 2 large eggs I nuke for a 30 sec, take out, stir, and nuke again for another 30 sec. and eat them out the bowl.

Poached eggs are a little different. Put some water in bowl, nuke in microwave for about 2 min (make sure water is hot or close to boiling), crack egg in hot water, place back in microwave and nuke for another minute or 2 (depends on microwave wattage). Sometimes right before the egg is through cooking Iíll stop the microwave and pierce the yolk with a fork, just to make sure it doesnít pop and make a mess in the microwave. You have to play with it. But once you get it right, itís the best poach egg. I generally do 2 to a bowl pending the width of the bowl. I got my sister hooked on microwave poached eggs. Really yummy.

Yes I do snorkel and love it. I use to spend an easy 5 hours at the beach swimming non-stop. I luv it! But listening to all these stories about sharks and sting rays being spotted in the water terrified me. There arenít any private swimming pools over here, so that killed swimming for me. My BF doesnít enjoy the beach as much, so in order for me to get back into it, Iím going to have to find someone who loves it as much as I do.

Penpen Ė donít let not seeing a loss in inches or weight discourage you. You probably lost a few inches on a part of your body that you didnít measure, i.e. your legs, arms, calf, etc. The one thing thatís hard for me but Iím learning is patience. Some mornings I wake up wanting to see immediate results. It kills me sometimes when I read these success stories where within 3 months globs of pounds were lost. That has never happened to me. My body loves my fat too much to relinquish it just like that.

Lola Ė youíre really doing well in the gym. Have you thought about alternating your days? i.e. one day walk/run; the next day weight lifting? If you can do that you might not have to worry about getting out of bed at 5am. When I use to walk/jog I use to leave the house around 5:30am. I donít think I can ever get back into that again. Good luck to you if you can do it though. You keep me inspired.

Gotta run, hope you guys have a great day!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #137
Big Yapper!

Wow, Lola! What a great deal on the gym arrangement! We need something like that here in the States. Makes so much sense. on your team winning a game ("finally.")

Oh, baby! If your Autumn is coming early, that means our Spring is coming early, too. WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO! I hope you're right. We'll have to see what the stupid Groundhog has to say in a few weeks. They're almost always wrong, anyway. So the Hawaii 5-0 must be a newer version. Now I'll have to google it and see what all the fuss is about.

You're doing great with all your exercise. When you spread it out through the day like that, it really becomes a lifestyle change. I remember when I was in nursing school how I would spend my lunch hour walking and I always took the stairs rather than the elevator, and I'd use the gym equipment in the basement of our dorm.

sldeal, just a heads-up on the crystal light. It has aspartame in it and that is a neurotoxin with bad effects to the body. There is another brand called "4-C" and it is made with Splenda. See if you can locate some near you and make the switch over to something healthier.

I have to cut my post short so I didn't even read the rest of your post, sl. I am going up to the farm today (paid again) to just pad all the stalls and maybe put hay in each stall for the girl who is all alone this afternoon. She can do the paddocks, waters, run-ins and grain. But I'll gladly just beef up those stalls so the horses can stay warmer tonight.

I said I'd come as a volunteer but the manager said it could be paid time. Yippee!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl : eewww not the old show. I am talking about the new one with Alex O'Loughlin. Google him... woof woof
The two diets I did the best with losing were the HHCG diet and my divorce. The second was was fairly expensive so I don't think I will try that one again. (don't plan on EVER getting married again anyway!!) The HHCG I was starving on all the time and I hated doing it, but I lost the weight. How can you not when you are only eating 500 calories a day.
I don't have a horrible time staying away from the carbs so I am going to just hang in there for now. At least I am not hungry. Tell me a little about the 5 hour thing? I could probably go 5 hours in between meals if that would help.
Heading to the fair tomorrow night for my baby's birthday. (he is 13 tomorrow). All the smells at the fair are to die for!!! I really need to eat before we head out there so I stay away from the bad stuff. My kids love the fried dough so I told them they had to wait until I wasn't around before they could get one.
I like to walk and look at the animals while they do the rides. I am so over that stuff...kinda makes me feel old.
Hope everyone has a good evening
Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Hey peeps, thanks for the welcome, it's really appreciated. ♥

Here's how the day went...

B~ EAS protein drink and 2 cups pf vanilla coffee with splenda
L~ 2 pieces of bacon crumbled up on 1 cup of mixed salad greens topped with 1 Tbsp blue cheese/sour cream mix
D~ another EAS protein drink

Tons of ice water and decaf teas.

Just wasn't hungry at all today.
Today is a rest day from exercising and I get antsy when I don't do something. Feels like I'm cheating or something. I'm weird. =P
A very none-event day and that's just the way I like 'em.

Hope you all had a wonderful none-event day, too! =)
Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #140
Big Yapper!

Oh! Okay. I saw him and yes, he's woof-worthy.

OH! Fair food is even MORE woof-worthy than that five-o dude. Our season for Fairs is Autumn in CT. Funny that you're having one in January! God help you to stay on track amidst all that temptation. Maybe you can just breathe it all in and let that be enough to give you the satisfaction. I'm serious! Smelling something amazing is almost just as good as actually tasting it. It's all a mind game.

Sorry the divorce was such an effective dieting strategy. The Fast 5 thing is just what it sounds like. Fast for 5 hours, eat within one hour. Fast for five more and so on it goes. Some people find it helps but others think eating more regularly is more reassuring to the body.

Happy Birthday, 13 year old baby boy! Yes! Enjoy the animals. They always say "no touching" but I can't help myself. I guess I'm just a tactile sort of gal. Either that or I just have to break the rules that be. That's probably more like it.

sweettea, I'm glad you had an uneventful day. Those are my kind of days, too. Sometimes I love to just laze around in my PJ's. If the doorbell rings or something out of the ordinary, I feel almost violated. I love my alone time.

I had a rude awakening today. I washed my clothes and after they were dry, I started to put them away. I was folding my jeans in order to hang them up in the closet when I noticed the @$$ was all torn out! I couldn't believe my eyes. I remember feeling something odd when I was at the farm and bending over earlier today but I had no idea I ripped my pants.

These were the only comfortable jeans I owned. I bought some other pairs but hate the way they feel on me. I need "Mom Jeans" that are high-waisted. Anything lower ends up being something I continually have to be adjusting whenever I sit, stand, bend, walk, etc. I hate that. So now I'm completely jean-less.

If I needed one last "straw" to show me how my eating has affected me, I now have it. I will save these jeans and somehow memorialize them. Maybe cut out the rear end of it and put them in a frame, as a reminder of where insane eating leads (each and every time, without fail.) So sad. Now I'm down to stretchy pants and those are too long. So I have to get busy hemming!

It will be at least 15 lbs before I can wear some of my other jeans. Polyester, here I come!

As my last hoorah, I'm going out to the Olive Garden tomorrow mid-afternoon to have the unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks. Saturday morning, I begin my LC lifestyle. Please, God. Help me to love it the way that I used to. It was so easy for so long! Let it be like that for me again. And may my LCF's also experience that kind of satisfaction and contentment as well. AMEN!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #141
Big Yapper!

I think the mental shift is starting to take place within me. I am so uncomfortable in my skin! And clearly, my jeans have been uncomfortable with me, too! I always thought it was the jean's fault, and all this time they've been wondering when I was going to lighten the load for them. I'm sorry, dear jeans. I put so much of a burden on you all these months. Forgive me please, and thank you for holding yourself together for as long as you did. You're a real trooper.

I ate those yummy stuffed mushrooms for dinner tonight! They were amazing. Crabmeat with lemon juice and melted butter. It got me thinking, so I started googling how to make a LC version and I found one that sounds pretty dog gone good! One that uses white wine and another that uses no wine or booze at all. They both use cream cheese, interestingly enough. Before I saw the recipes, I was thinking that Ricotta cheese might be a good base. I still think it might add a nice flavor. I will definitely play around with those things, once I'm out of Induction. No shrooms allowed in Induction.

I'm going to really try and do this first week or two by the book, and not just think I know what I'm doing and slide back into that "know it all" stance. I have to get this right! I have to find my way back to the healthy, happy me. My poor body. The abuse it has seen these 50 years! The stories it could tell.

Night, ladies. Off to sleep now, I hope. Then my last day of carby foods. Somebody please play a death march! It would seem appropriate. However, that march is for the foods I won't be eating anymore. I need a joyful, energizing march for the LC me who will be living a better life from here on out.

Last edited by CherylB; 01-24-2013 at 09:27 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everybody!
Back from the gym- did a 20 min workout on the treadmill and 20 min elliptical. then I just did some stretching and abdominals. Energy levels still down.
I thought I saw a small difference in my face - sharpening of my cheek bones and asked hubby - he was just too afraid to say yes or no. I don't think it is my imagination.

Cheryl- enjoy that last carby meal and get on here. Lets share great menus.
Great that your supervisor isso understanding and is prepared to pay for work done. guess you showed commitment when doing your volunteer work.

Pen -Divorce/ retrenchment/loss of job - all great weightloss diets but th eweight does come back after the trauma. when I lost my job in 2010 I lost about 9kgs - I then put it all back on and some while at my last job.
Enjoy your baby's birthday! I agree - eat before so you are not as tempted.

SL- I am dragging myself to the gym at the moment but I am so committed - I look like a frumpy mummy right now and I need to get to hot babe look soon.
Hubby is a bit of a looker with a great bod so I want to look his equal and not his mommy.
I try to avoid AS as well. It leaves an awful after taste in my mouth. I wanted to have a drink last night but did not feel like proper alcohol, too hot for tea, don't drink sugar drinks so had a glass of water with a dash of lemon. It got me through the evening.

I am hungry way before lunch everyday now so today I had a protein shake for breakfast and another before my workout. Then lunch was hamburger meat and cabbage.

Tonight is going to be chicken in barbeque sauce and some steamed cabbage. Cannot wait to go shopping for proper food tomorrow and also have my hair done. yay!

Have a great Friday everybody. A little while and I go home.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl you are killing me!! Sometimes it takes something as simple as the splitting of your jeans to be the straw that broke the camels back! If it helps you stick to the diet then so be it. Careful with the carb intake the next day or so because the withdrawal later will be hard. If you did it once and it worked, then girl you can do it again!!! There will be no better reward then when those jeans you have waiting for you finally fit.
You seem to have a good attitude about it so...good luck and we are here for you!
The kids are excited about going to the fair but the BF is not. He thinks they are dirty and nasty people. Talk about taking all the fun out!! It's the FAIR!!
Geezz I told him to stay home if he is going to be Mr. Grumpy
One of the girls I work with went yesterday. She was telling me about the killer steak sandwiches and I was thinking I could do that right?? Just eat the meat out of the bun which would be ok with me.
Does anyone have the Texas De Brazil restaurant in your area? Nothing but meat, meat, meat! Thinking about going there this weekend and I should be in great shape for choices.
Menu today:
B; protein shake
L; chicken and zucchini slices
S: muffin ( if I needed it)
D: TBA
Thank god it is FRIDAY!!! The weekends are the hardest for me though. My boys and I are doing the Race for the Cure walk in the morning. I will at least get in my walking tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #144
Big Yapper!

Hey, Lola. I like how you said, "... and get on here!" I am to the point where getting with the program is going to be just what I need. Yes, the manager knows my heart is in my work. I love my job, probably for the first time in my life.

Glad your hubby is a looker with a hot bod. I hope you can feel like his equal this year. I hate the frumpy mummy look too. I'm not even a mum! I'm encouraged by your dedication to working out. I will try and be more like you.

I want to suggest something that might help you to take in a real meal in the morning before you go to work; that might cut back on the hungries and according to Dr A, will likely speed up your rate of loss. I used to cook scrambled eggs with cheese and whatever I decided to saute the night before and put it in a Tupperware-type container. It warms up quickly in the microwave. That is how I ate when I worked and did Atkins. It was surprisingly good the next day.

Thanks, penpen. Seriously! That man needs to stay home if he feels that badly about Fairs. What a killjoy he'd be if he goes with you.

No, I've never heard of those restaurants. But the steak sandwich might work out well for you. If not, there's always those ginormous turkey drumsticks that they sell. I don't think they have any sugary glaze but you could ask before you order one. I think people carrying those around the fairgrounds look like cavemen.

Have a great time at the Fair and at the Race for the Cure! How long is the walk?

My Mom canceled out on the Olive Garden. She says that she gets bad headaches when it's very cold outside and so she said she was going to stay home and try to get rid of her headache with warm, moist towels. I said a prayer for her. She has headaches rather often and that makes me feel bad for her. Thankfully, headaches have never been my thing. I get sharp, brief stabs sometimes but then they pretty much go away right after. No idea what causes that.

So I texted and called my sister to tell her that I don't care all that much about going to OG now, either. I can't get a hold of her and it's 1:40pm. We were meeting at 3:30. I don't want her to get there and be waiting for me and then notice my voicemail and texts. She must have her ringer off cause it goes straight to VM. I hope her phone battery hasn't up and died in her purse and she hasn't noticed. I don't want her to go there for no reason. I will feel bad about it.

So, I will stay here where it's warm and just eat what I have on hand. I still have one box of that yummy red beans and rice mix, which is really really good. So that will be enough to end this long run of terrible eating. I may leave the house to just run down to a certain store that is my favorite place to shop for bargains on things I need (Ocean State Job Lot) and see if I can find some good non-stick muffin pans. I want to make those yummy muffins you gals make! They will also be good for cream cheese muffins, which I've yet to try.

We are only going to get a dusting of super fluffy snow tonight. The biggest part of the storm is passing much to our south and then out to sea. Then it starts to warm up well above freezing next week, as early as Monday. Rain is also coming, but I will try and welcome it (even though I'll be out working in it.)

Have a lovely day, ladies. I'll be with you on this road in about 24 hours now. Looking forward to being back in control of my destiny and my body and health. I remember how amazed I was to find how much freedom there was in "control." Sounds like an oxymoron, but it's so true.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Hi All,
Itís been a busy day for me today and I find myself constantly watching the clock for 5:30, itís been one of those weeks!

Cheryl Ė Fast5 isnít really a diet, itís just a time you give yourself to eat. Iím still on Atkins but I give myself a window of 5 hours to eat 2pm Ė 7pm and it appears to work for me Ďso farí. The whole idea is to fast for 16 Ė 19 hours, but keep in mind most of those hours you will be sleeping. i.e. when I stop eating at 7pm I usually go to bed at 10pm and donít get up until 6am, thatís 11 hours of fasting so far. You set your window to whatís suitable for you; Iíve read where some people give themselves a 6 to 8 hour window. You just have to find what works for you. If you want to read more on it just google Fast5, once you register you can get the ebook free. While I donít see a lot of weight loss, thereís a significant difference in how my clothes hang on me. So Iím hopeful.

Thanks for the heads-up on aspartame, I had already researched it a few weeks ago on one of those body building forums, it seems you have to drink huge amounts to be affected by aspartame, but then again, who really knows???? I usually make a pitcher of crystal lite lemonade and drop 2 vitamin C tablets in it (2000g Vit C). That usually carries me for the week where Iíll drink a cup with my dinner each evening, maybe thatís why I never had any hunger attacks. Anyways, I now know when not to drink it. Iíll also look around to see if I can find 4-C.

Lola Ė Iím envying you your workout. I guess having a hubby with a hot body is motivation enough to keep hitting the gym. You should be seeing some noticeable changes in your body soon. You donít sound like a Ďfrumpy mummyí right now. Please keep it up, you're doing good!

Penpen Ė I hope you and your kids have a great day at the fair and your baby have a terrific 13 those fried dumplings sound delicious!

Hope you guys have a great weekend!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #146
Big Yapper!

Well, I got that all @$$-backwards, didn't I! I thought you fasted for 5 hours, ate within one hour, fasted 5 more hours, and on you went. I naturally do something like Fast 5 because I sleep a LONG time and then I often don't eat until late afternoon or early evening (unless you were to count cream in my coffee. I guess that would count.)

I think I'm better off eating more regularly than I do. Fasting as long as I do naturally tends to lead to evening binge-eating and that's a bad thing. If it works for you, that's great! Run with it, baby!

I had wanted to go to the Olive Garden for mid-afternoon today. I'm sure I told you all about it. Well, it got so completely screwed up after my Mom cancelled and I assumed my sister (who is also actively dieting and trying to lose weight) was really only agreeing to go with me because it was my "last supper" of choice before restarting Atkins. So I called and cancelled with her. Her husband then finds out that my sister is now without a dinner date and he decides to meet up with her!!! The two of them (and their service dog) got to eat my last meal!!! How screwed up is that??? I told her that I was glad that the three of them enjoyed my meal. She was laughing at the ridiculousness of it all. She said that if I hadn't cancelled out, her husband would not have joined us. He only went when she was stranded without a dinner partner. OMG.

The tangled web we weave while trying to figure out what other people are thinking and feeling. UGH! Here I thought I was doing her a favor by letting her off the hook. Crazy human stuff. Shows I'm a natural blond.

So, that's that. I'm probably going to order my second choice: A medium x-cheese with pepperoni pizza for delivery. $12.23 plus tip. I'm going to wait another hour or so in order to be sure the pizza is cooked to my liking. I think if you order too early, the ovens aren't hot enough and the pizza isn't at its best.

I ordered some Silicone muffin pans on Amazon tonight, along with some new winter boots for working on the farm with. They will keep my feet warm and dry even in wet weather, and they will give me good traction. All three of those items came to under $90 even with the s/h for the boots. I think it was money very well spent. I will get the pans probably on Monday or Tuesday and the boots about a week later. (I bought 2 6-cup muffin pans, figuring the 12-cup ones would be too tiny.)

I'll post a pic of the things I bought so you can share in my excitement. Coming right up!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #147
Big Yapper!

Here they be!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New winter farm boots.jpg (21.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Muffin pans, silicone.jpg (16.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Why the scale lies

WHY THE SCALE LIES... Meaty Bones

Ok, I came across this on FB and wanted to share, very good read.

"Weíve been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us canít resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just canít bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence itís readings. From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

Water makes up about 60% of total body mass. Normal fluctuations in the bodyís water content can send scale-watchers into a tailspin if they donít understand whatís happening. Two factors influencing water retention are water consumption and salt intake. Strange as it sounds, the less water you drink, the more of it your body retains. If you are even slightly dehydrated your body will hang onto itís water supplies with a vengeance, possibly causing the number on the scale to inch upward. The solution is to drink plenty of water.

Excess salt (sodium) can also play a big role in water retention. A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. Generally, we should only eat between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium a day, so itís easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesnít have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts. The more highly processed a food is, the more likely it is to have a high sodium content. Thatís why, when it comes to eating, itís wise to stick mainly to the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean meat, beans, and whole grains. Be sure to read the labels on canned foods, boxed mixes, and frozen dinners.

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Another factor that can influence the scale is glycogen. Think of glycogen as a fuel tank full of stored carbohydrate. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and itís packaged with 3-4 pounds of water when itís stored. Your glycogen supply will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates. As the glycogen supply shrinks you will experience a small imperceptible increase in appetite and your body will restore this fuel reserve along with itís associated water. Itís normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, although they can make for some unnecessarily dramatic weigh-ins if youíre prone to obsessing over the number on the scale.

Otherwise rational people also tend to forget about the actual weight of the food they eat. For this reason, itís wise to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before youíve had anything to eat or drink. Swallowing a bunch of food before you step on the scale is no different than putting a bunch of rocks in your pocket. The 5 pounds that you gain right after a huge dinner is not fat. Itís the actual weight of everything youíve had to eat and drink. The added weight of the meal will be gone several hours later when youíve finished digesting it.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact itís not humanly possible."

So there you have it, we should all feel great the next time we step on the scale!

Happy Eating
Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for posting about the scales, sideal. Our bodies are incredible machines and it's easy to forget that in every day life.

Lola, you are a beautiful inspiration to us all. Great job on your exercise commitment!

Ceryl B, your posts make me laugh out loud! Your poor jeans! =D Love the boots!

Here's my chart from yesterday.

B~ EAS protein drink 2 cups of coffee with whipping cream and a little splenda
L~ 1 cup fresh spinach topped with 1 boiled egg and some o/v dressing
D~3 oz salmon sauteed in butter

Tons of water and teas

It's still kinda scary some days to realize how little I eat but it seems to keep me satisfied and energetic. Still no appetite and that is a good thing! =)

Keep fighting the good fight! ♥

sweetie
Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #150
Big Yapper!

Welp, I'm with y'all now on the LC lifestyle. About to take my first sip of coffee with cream and ez sweetz. I'm looking forward to losing the weight (of course) but also to feeling better. My hands are so stiff when I wake up. I can hardly make a fist due to the stiffness and pain in my fingers. I know it will improve soon.

It's 18 degrees F outside and I have the afternoon shift with the horses. There is supposed to be a volunteer today and I really hope she makes it. It would be so great to finish early and get the heck out of dodge.

I won't be eating anything fancy today. Probably bacon and eggs. I need to see if I even have any bacon defrosted! It didn't cross my mind yesterday when I was in my carb-fest. I really don't feel well right now at all. :/

I hope everyone has a nice weekend! I'll BBL.