Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
Hi Everybody

back at work- I've already had a protein shake and two cups of tea.
Lunch today is a pork stirfry.
Supper wil probably be more stirfry as both hubby and LG do not want to eat the stirfry.
Weight this morning is 66.7kg. so another loss of 0.7kg (1.5lbs loss).

got to change my gym location so that it is closer to work and then I can get started.
SLdeal and cheryl- thanks for the clarification. I had it all wrong.
Tussah- I think it is good to get rid of the yeast. I make the coconut bark with coconut oil, cocoa powder and sometimes add coconut for a yummy sweet treat. CO does make you go.
Cheryl- yay! for onederland! We will make our losses stick this time around. i am feeling very positive about this year.

Have a great day everybody.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sldeal
Stats: 187/165/150
WOE: Atkins 72/Fast5
Start Date: December 27, 2012
Lola congrats on your weight loss, you're well on your way to your goal! Will you be changing your weight on your avatar? Definitely something to boast about.
sldeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
Hi Everybody,

Thanks SLdeal. I will update my profile. I know that this is just water weight but I am enjoying the loss. Another warm day in Sandton- it is where i work.
Breakfast was a protein shake. While working on getting my LG's school clothes and stationary ready for school, I already had two cups of tea.

No exercise so far. I did arrange to get my gym closer to work so I will wake up earlier in the morning and get some exercise done.

Have a great day everybody and hopefully have more to report soon.
lola001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Lola I'm sure you'll really see the lbs go down once you hit the gym. I'm considering doing some walking beginning February, like you it's just a matter of getting up early.

I got curious and stepped on the scale yesterday I'm down 3.6#s, I also took my measurements and lost 4 3/4" in total.

Hope everybody have a great loss day today.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #35
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Lola, I'm glad you got your gym membership switched to a closer place. WTG on your motivation. Is it getting any easier to send LG to school? Is she enjoying it?

to all of us for our poundage lost! I'm down 1.2 more today. Happy happy happy. Warm (relatively speaking) here today and will be for the rest of the week. Should melt much of the snow on the ground. But then the mud returns at the farm. I guess I'm never perfectly happy. Human is what I am!

Off to get through my other threads. See yous later. (Ha! Just did spell checker and it didn't think "yous" was an error.)
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jaded58
Stats: 164/134
WOE: Just starting low carb
Start Date: December 11, 2012
Hi everyone. I'm thinking that this may be a good woe for me and my hubby (he is along for the ride whether he knows it or not!!) Have to go to the book store and search out the book, so that I have a reference. I have 30 lbs. to lose, as well I have RA, and take so many anti-inflamatories (sp) that my stomach hurts all the time now. Hope you don't mind me jumping in.
jaded58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #37
Big Yapper!

Jaded! Of course we don't mind. We all hope the LC approach works for you and your hubby. I'm taking it that you're doing the cooking so he has no choice in the matter? Will he also do LC during his time away from home?

I hope your ailments ease-up on this plan. I think they will.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #38
Junior LCF Member

He couldn't leave home, he would starve to death!!! All kidding aside, we both suffer from a nice case of jelly belly. Hoping to get my book today, but if not any threads to recommend to start off this beginner?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #39
Big Yapper!

1972 Atkin's plan by the book.

This will give you all the basics. In fact, it's so basic you might not even need the book. I like books, though. If you can't find one locally, Amazon is my go-to place for used books.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the link. I've been sitting reading it with my afternoon coffee. I didn't have my usual sugar cookies today though
Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Jaded welcome to the group The more the merrier I'm sure you're going to enjoy LC and there are so many variations to preparing your foods, you might forget you're Lowcarbing, I'm sure your hubby will enjoy as well!

Chery - you are doing so well on your loss! Looks like this is going to be a great year for us all!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PenPen13
Stats: 150/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 09/09/11
Hi ladies
Hoping to join in for some support and good tips. I was looking for the old version of Atkins to load on my reader but no such luck. I have been back on Adkins for three days and nothing so far. My body is almost as stubborn as I am. But I am not giving up yet, going for two weeks and see where I am then. Home with my son who has the flu. I battled it a few months ago and was out of work for one week. It is really a bad flu season this year. Hope everyone has a good week!
PenPen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #43
Big Yapper!

PenPen, to you, too! If you don't mind sharing, would you post all that you've been eating and drinking in the three days of Induction? You might be taking something in that is getting in your way. Atkins is a very touchy way to diet.

Thanks, sldeal. How would you ladies like us to address you? It's hard to remember who people are and the details they have shared with us when their user names are tough to remember.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Hi PenPal we're happy to have you on board Don't let the scale intimidate you. One of the things Atkins mention in his book that caught my attention right away was "Remember, your tape measure is a better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat losses..." I think we'll all do well to remember that. If the scale isn't going down, I'm sure the inches are. My first goal is to get into a Size 12, only the inches lost can do that for me.

"Remember, your tape measure is a better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat losses..." Dr. Atkins

Mini Goals
Size 12 - April 2013 - Goal met April 1, 2013
Size 10 - Nov 2013
Size 8 - April 2014 (this will take a miracle)
Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

You can just call me Penny.
My meals have been about the same each day
B protein shake with kale coffee with hwc and CO
L nothing
D chicken marsala with broccoli
B two fried eggs with two turkey sausage
L salad with chicken,cucumbers and shredded parm cheese with ranch
D slices of London broil with salad
S cheese stick- nut mix
I know I should probably stay away from the nuts in the beginning but they are a good snack for me.
I am open to any thoughts or suggestions. I just finished reading Al Roker's new book. Anyone else read it? I really enjoyed it and was wondering if anyone else does the water, lemon juice cayenne pepper drink. He does it every morning to boost his metabolism.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #46
Big Yapper!

What kind of protein shake? What's in it? Is it the kind that comes in a can, ready to drink? I have no idea what "kale coffee" is but it sounds interesting. Day one looks like you aren't getting enough fat.

Day two looks better but the nuts are a problem in the first two weeks. I feel your pain but they could be the problem you're having. I've never had turkey sausage but I know regular sausage has "byproducts" in it so that's kind of iffy if you're stalling, too.

I think if you upped your fat percentage and looked at the ingredients on the protein drink, and shelve the nuts for a week or two, you'll see some movement on the scale. If you are used to low-fat dieting, it's hard to get used to the fact that you need to eat fatty foods on Atkins.

I've never read his book or tried that drink but I'm doing a juice cleanse/detox right now. This is day 6 for me. I watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" on Netflix. It can also be seen on Hulu. It was an eye-opener. I watched it a few more times, then watched another documentary on Netflix called, "Hungry for Change." That's when I started shopping for a used juicer (quality one) and bought the one the guy uses in the documentary.

The dude (Joe Cross, from Australia; likable guy) calls juicing a "reboot". He initially did 60 days and that's what the documentary covers. He virtually lost all of his weight and kept up the healthy diet of lots of micronutrient foods and allowed himself treats a couple times a month. He's an exercising fool.

He also had a serious autoimmune disease and was taking heavy doses of Prednisone. As the cleanse progressed, his prednisone was decreased. Now he takes no prednisone and he has no symptoms.

The second half of the program, another guy goes on the same cleanse. He loses a TON of weight. He stopped being a truck driver and found a more active way to make money.

That program is very inspirational, even if juicing isn't your idea of fun. (It is green juice with some fruit added but mostly greens.) To be truthful, the juices are pleasant. I've never said to myself, "Yum!" But the juice I had tonight was close. I haven't done it exactly the way he says to do. (No chewing anything in the way of food the whole time. And since I'm cleansing, I'm not chewing gum either.) I have had a piece of fruit and some nuts in the evenings each day. Last night I was hungry and really thought it was a good idea to eat some eggs, so I scrambled two eggs with a touch of half and half, tabasco, salt and pepper, then fried it up in the pan with some butter.

I thought it was going to blow my mind while eating it but it was just nice. I thought how it was the first warm food I've had since 1/2. That was nice. I don't know if I'll eat another meal of eggs or something tonight but I'll just see how I feel. I want the results that those guys got from doing this and so far, I'm off to a great start.

So, those of you who are new to this Atkins thread, I haven't been doing Atkins for a while but it was the thread I called "home" when I first started on LCF. I like to hang with some of the old-timers and so I hang around. I do have a lot of knowledge to share on Atkins, but right now I'm going for the healthiest, most fortified body I can get. If I can find some local place to buy some Chia Seeds, I'll be all set. They get gelatinous in the gut and bind to toxins that the liver is trying to get rid of during the cleanse. Without something like Chia Seeds or Aloe Vera, the toxins get reabsorbed.

No coffee since I began, either! No artificial sweeteners, etc. I'm rebooting for the new year and I'm going to see how far it takes me. So far, so good!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Sorry, the kale and coffee were not mixed. The protein shake is a whey protein with 2 carbs, 0 sugars, 24 proteins. I mix it with unsweetened almond milk, fresh kale and sometimes an egg. The almond milk has 1 carb per serving. The turkey sausage is by Jimmy Dean so is there something I should be looking for that I should stay away from?
Al is also doing a 28 day detox where he drinks the protein shake 2 times a day and eats a clean meal for his third. The shake is a special mix created by this lady who he is working with to lose the weight, all natural stuff. I just couldn't go without eating so god bless you and good luck! Also thank you for your thoughts and suggestions
Old 01-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl
What do you do with the chia seeds? I just started hearing about them. I did read you could make a pudding like dish with them? What do you do with them? How often do you eat them?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenPen13 View Post
You can just call me Penny.
My meals have been about the same each day
B protein shake with kale coffee with hwc and CO
L nothing
D chicken marsala with broccoli
B two fried eggs with two turkey sausage
L salad with chicken,cucumbers and shredded parm cheese with ranch
D slices of London broil with salad
S cheese stick- nut mix
I know I should probably stay away from the nuts in the beginning but they are a good snack for me.
I am open to any thoughts or suggestions. I just finished reading Al Roker's new book. Anyone else read it? I really enjoyed it and was wondering if anyone else does the water, lemon juice cayenne pepper drink. He does it every morning to boost his metabolism.
Hi, Penny, although I've did LC for years this was my first time actually taking time to read dr atkins book DADR. What he does is incorporate 5 Levels during various phases of LC WOE. He suggest you stay on induction(level 1) for a week. During induction you can eat meat, fowl, fish, pork in any quantity except fillers such as hot dogs, sausage, meatballs and most packaged cold cuts. Note he doesn't say you can't have these meats I guess you just can't eat them in abundance. Also there are certain sea foods you can't eat neither. Cheese is limited to 4oz per day, heavy cream is restricted to 4tsp, eggs can be consumed in abundance, etc.

Cheryl posted the link above, you should click on it, it's very informative. I just wanted to say that atkins suggested broccoli for level 2. Your veggies should consist of 2 small (1 cup per serving) of leafy green salads only, tomatoes cannot be consumed during induction, if you don't want salad you can have a sour pickle. Somewhere in the book he states if you're not losing you should cut your salad for a few days because, if you're following the plan, it's your only source of carbs.

The first week is the hardest because you're ridding your body of carbs, after that its just a matter of which carbs to put back into your body during various stages.

I hope I didn't confuse you , and good luck!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #50
Big Yapper!

I've never had them, only saw them on another documentary. I have no idea how I'll get them down me but they do slime up when they come in contact with water or moisture. That's why they bind the toxins in the gut to help clean the liver.

I never did protein shakes while doing Atkins. You get plenty of protein just eating all the yummy foods that you're allowed. My suggestion would be to just eat and enjoy. Save the protein drinks for when you're on a different plan or maybe when you're busy and on-the-go.

WTG Al ! I hope he stays strong and get through it with flying colors. As far as what to look out for in sausage, you just always need to read the labels. I really think your main problem in your first week of induction is eating nuts. Some things just have to come later.

Yeah; I am reading through sldeal's post as I'm finishing this. Try not to over-think things. You'll driver yourself nuts (no pun intended.) Try dropping the nuts and instead of the protein drink, just fix yourself up some yummy eggs with cheese and butter or something else that you enjoy. But don't try to limit fat during Induction. Fat will get you into ketosis faster than protein will.

Night, ladies. Past my bedtime. Hugs all around.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Morning all! Just having my coffee. Guess I'm going to have 2 eggs this a.m. to start. Off to see my grandbabies this morning. My son tells me they have made shepherds pie for my visit. Oh dear, guess I should have warned them about the low carb woe. I will have to address that. In the mean time I am off to have fun with my babies!!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Good morning everybody, so far I'm off to a good start "I'm not hungry" Let's hope the remaining of my day remains like this and I'm not tempted to put something in mouth that shouldn't be there.

Have a great day!

Last edited by sldeal; 01-09-2013 at 05:32 AM..
Old 01-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tussah
Stats: 283/242/140
WOE: No sugar or starch
Start Date: October, 2012
I did Atkins back in the late 70s and it is really ideal for losing weight. The only trouble I had was after I lost the weight, because I fell off the wagon. To me at the time, it seems sort of an "all or nothing" proposition and I refused to commit to it for a lifetime. (I haven't eaten a pork rind since.)

Now, of course, I'm old enough that making a lifetime committment isn't as big of a deal. Still, it's easier for me to give up something completely than to make a judgement call. I don't want to sound flippant, but it always seemed to me that it would be easier to break an alcohol or cigarette or drug addiction, because at least you CAN give that stuff up completely. (of course, since I don't have any of those addictions, it's easy for me to say, eh?)

Giving up the carbs is a lot harder, since we all DO have to eat. So this time around, I decided to completely give up the "bad carbs" i.e. the sugars and starches, and give myself more of a pass on the good carbs - the nuts, green leafy vegetables, salads, etc. So technically, I'm not doing Atkins '72 either, but at the core, I honor and respect the principles and really like hanging with you folks, if you'll have me.

Last night, I made the biggest batch of chili verde with pork I've ever seen. I spent forever chopping up jalapenos, poblano chiles, cilantro, tomatillos, onions, and garlic. It filled up my biggest pot, and after cooking on the stove, filled the house with the most amazing aroma. I ate on it for late supper, middle of the night snack, and breakfast, too. I know that I can live the low carb life if it is filled up with amazingly flavorful food like this.

Anyway, today it will certainly be chili verde for breakfast, lunch and supper, with maybe some wasabi almonds for midafternoon snack.

Congrats on the weight losses i'm hearing. You are all doing great. I have so many tons to lose that I'm not going to weigh in more often than every few weeks. However, my clothes are feeling nice and loose and I'm hopeful that by the time summer clothes season comes around, i will be able to throw out my largest sizes and move into the clothes that were tight last year. And most importantly, I really feel well and energetic, far better than I have in years.

At work, I have a couple of younger co-workers that obviously have metabolic issues, too. I try not to be a crusader, but I think I may be influencing one of them in a positive way. She has pledged to give up her sodas this year, and cut back on the candy. To support her, I give up my diet soda when we eat together.

My favorite Netflix lowcarb video is "Fathead" with Tom Naughton. It is very funny as well as informative. I also really like Gary Taubes book, "Why we are fat and what to do about it" most especially because it makes a great case that obesity IS a medical problem, not a behavioral one.

Have a great day, everybody!
Tussah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #54
Big Yapper!

Tussah, if I were to commit to LC for a lifetime again, I'd do it just the way you are. There's nothing to fear in good carbs. I never counted them, I just made sure I wasn't eating anything starchy or high on the glycemic index scale.

That chili sounds amazing! Can you post the recipe for us? I will definitely make that someday. Did you use pork chops or a roast for the meat? You sound like you're doing great! Loose clothes are a wonderful thing. Such a relief not to be stuffed into them! It's such a horrible feeling when your clothes are that tight and you bend over to put on your shoes and you can't breathe! OMG. What a way to go through life.

That's cool that your coworkers are taking notice. They will want to know more about what you're doing as the lbs fall off. That's nice of you to skip your diet coke when eating with that lady. I like your style.

I have the Fathead DVD and really enjoy it, too. I even bought the thick, huge, "Good carbs, bad carbs" by Gary Taubes. I haven't ever seen any of his "lighter" books. I saw Gary on the Dr Oz show and it was like a professional hit. I really don't like Dr Oz since he got his own show. When he was on Oprah, I liked him a lot.

And if I can hang here while doing a green juice cleanse, you certainly can! I'm down 9.2 in 6 days of the juicing. I have been adding in almonds and even ate two scrambled eggs one night. I am thrilled with how quickly I'm feeling slimmer.

Time to go make breakfast! I know it will be green and wet. Have a wonderful day, ladies. If you're mainly lurking, come out and play with us!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

When I did LC earlier, I didn't do Atkins, I just cut out starchy foods and sugar the same as Tussah (actually I thought that's what Atkins was all about). I also went to the gym or walked/jogged 3-4 times a week. I didn't have a scale, but I can say the inches came down drastically I went from a size 16 to size 12 within a few months. I held it for a few years, but, blah, blah, blah.

I just recently got my Atkins book so a lot of this is really new to me, my intentions were to cut back on starch & sugar again and exercise, unfortunately, I hurt my knee so I had to cut out walking/jogging and I just had surgery, so I'm restricted from a lot of arm movement. That's why I decided to try to stick with the book, for me to see a loss I have to stay as LC as possible. I'm hoping I can get back into some kind of exercise routine by next month or maybe March the latest, then I'll be able to up my carbs comfortably.

With any new WOE you have to find your comfort zone, what works for you, if not you'll fail. At my age, my metabolism is waaaay down there (sometimes I'm not sure I have one) So I'm restricting myself for now - you know - kinda punishing myself for being naughty all those years

Whatever, weight loss method we choose, I'm hope we can encourage and help each other stay on track. That's the wonderful thing about this thread - Interaction and Encouragement.

Tussah your chili sounds delicious! I'm a freak for a good bowl of chili, I can eat it for almost a week straight. Hey, and just the fact that your clothes are looser means you're making progress. Because I'm a slow loser I always base my success on my clothes. After all at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you weigh, it's whether or not you can squeeze into that size 8 or 6...well for me, I'm aiming for a size 12 for now.

Cheryl I'm doing the happy dance for you 9.2 in six days is amazing! You're doing excellent, it will take me two months to lose that amount. Keep it up!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #56
Big Yapper!

Thank you! I've done the homeopathic HCG and I've lost those kinds of numbers in week one using that, but I really didn't know what to expect from juicing. I'm very happy and eager to see where this will take me.

WTG, everyone! Whether you're weighing or not, just keep on keepin' on! You'll get there.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Labyrinth
Stats: 179/190/160
WOE: Atkins '72 (VLC)
Start Date: Sept. 1, 2012
hey y'all
ups and downs with my food choices but mostly ok. primarily gluten free but higher than my usual low carb 'diet'. feeling good. still loving my new neighborhood. haven't exercised as much as i would like but compared to what i used to do - i've done tons! LOL

Little's birthday is tomorrow. i'm taking cupcakes to his new school. he's only gone one day!!! i'm hoping it helps with the friend making.

hope everyone is doing well.
Love & Light
Donna
Labyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Well I got on the scale this morning and was down 2 lbs
I also did my measurements last night so I can compare that as well. I also did the HHCG and lost the weight but it was a STRUGGLE!!!! I was hungry all the time and the weight came off so slow!!
I ended up going to Costco tonight and picked up one of their chickens. YUMMY!
The best part was not having to cook it. I also picked up some of the chai seeds. I put 2 TBS in water and let it soak for 10 minutes. Then I took unsweetened almond milk, 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder, the chai seed mixture and some ice. Put it together in my ninja and ..... drank it. Now I feel really really full! Didn't really taste the chai seeds but you are not supposed to.
I made this because after eating the chicken I was on the hunt for something...sweet. I am home alone tonight and that makes it worse because no one is here to see me eat something bad.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #59
Big Yapper!

WTG on those 2 lbs! That's cool that you found and tried the Chia Seeds. Costco, eh? My sister's a member but I'm not. Maybe I can call them and see if they carry them, then get my sis to take me with her next time she goes.

Donna! It's always nice to see you but you are so stingy with details about your new life. I just want you to know that I'm hungry for more. 'Nough said. But I am glad that you're happy in CO.

Back to Penny, I LOVE store rotisserie chickens! OMG. When I'm doing Atkins they are my favorite meal. I inhale all the skin and the start picking at the meat. I'm getting hungry just remembering my past chicken endeavours.

I had my two green juices and made a nice warm meal of scrambled eggs tonight for dinner. I took a multivitamin just in case I'm missing something in all that juice. It's hard to believe that's possible but I guess it is. So the vito is for insurance. I will just take one every few days.

I hope my losses on the scale continue as they have been. I hope this isn't just like every other diet plan where the first week is incredible and then things slow to a trickle. I'll be seriously upset and it will threaten my resolve to keep going. I committed to 10 days and today is day 7. I want to keep going but we shall see!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl
I actually bought the Chai seeds at the Vitamin Store. Most of the health food stores carry them. If you do the CO Costco does carry a brand that is very good and much cheaper then at the store. Problem is they don't alway carry it.