Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mcz1970
Stats: 276/269.5/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/13/2012
Exercixe with no carbs

I'm beginning the 72' version (no carb if possible) and I cannot recall if its ok to exercise?

Have any of you been doing lots of exercise while no carbing? Do you have the energy to say run on a tread mill or do the elliptical?
mcz1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
Not sure about Atkins '72, but in DANDR Dr. Atkins sasy exercise is non-negotiable.

You might not have the endurance levels for running or other more vigorous exercise. I know that my weight training doesn't go too well on low levels of carbs since I get fatigued quickly and can't lift as much. Why not try walking at first?
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /214.9/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
I've always done at least light exercise in conjunction with Atkins.

My first time around, I bought one of those little foot-peddlers and would just peddle -- at a low speed & resistance -- whenever I was sitting on the couch. Deal was, I could watch as many movies as I wanted, as long as I kept peddling. I'd sit folding laundry, watching the tube, and peddling for hours. Not hard, not fast... but still moving.

Since the 72 book, there's been more research into aerobic exercise and how it affects the body. The "target" heart-rate for a "cardio workout" is quite a bit higher than that "target" heart rate for "fat burning". If you stay at the lower heart rate, you burn fat. If you kick it up, your body wants to burn carbs. So it turns out I was doing exactly the right thing.

THIS time around, I've been exercising -- usually MUCH more strenuously (when I make it to the gym), AND doing weight-training. No ill effects.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
I ran 10 & 12 mile runs on 20 grms a day, no ill effects, in fact my endurance was much better and didn't need gels to keep going. However my pace was a bit slower at first. All I needed after was a cup of broth to replace salt. I don't exercise to that degree anymore but I find even walking boosts my fat burning tremendously. Running just lets me have more carb allowance but I don't like to do that...it's a slippery slope to me and I never did well with carb loading. It always made me gain. Low level fat burning movement is the best for keeping the fat burning enzymes going! :-)
2nd Mini-goal: 190
3rd Mini-goal: 185
4th Mini-goal: 180
5th Mini-goal: 175
6th Mini -goal: 170
Goal: 155-165 & size 8/10 or whatever weight gets rid of my wobbly bits!
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: retiredcyclist
low intensity ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup204 View Post
Low level fat burning movement is the best for keeping the fat burning enzymes going! :-)
The first 10 days of the low carb diet your body is adjusting to switching fuels. I always find it a lot harder to exercise during this phase and only maintain a very low exercise level. Otherwise I just get too shaky.

However, once the body acclimates, low intensity exercise is perfect. I find walking at a speed just fast enough that I can still talk is about perfect.

We have a treadmill for working out on those rainy days, although if you are looking for a cheaper option I know a lot of people have gotten cheap fold-up ellipticals like the gazelle.

Also, Netflix has a lot of good dance videos to workout with. They tend to be a little more intense, but they are really good. That way you can workout even if its rainy

Good luck! My wife and I have both had excellent luck losing weight with Atkins! Almonds and Cheese, baby!
retiredcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Krissyp
Stats: (247)230/215/145 5'7
WOE: IF Atkins Induction
Start Date: Re-starting 8-1-13
Hi. I've started going to boot camp after really no exercise. I went three times last week and once this week so far. The first day was hard! I'm sure it was a combo of having so much extra weight on my body, not having exercised and the low carb. This is a hard workout, but I am able to do it! At this point I think I'm able to handle it because its earlier in the day. My energy is much lower in the afternoon than in the morning. I've also been on Atkins 72 since February. I would say if you want to exercise start slow and see how you feel. Its probably a good idea to be at least a couple of weeks into your new eating program before adding in vigorous exercise. You don't want to overwhelm yourself! The food comes first in weight loss! Good luck!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JCWANNABE
Stats: 289/257/135 5'5"
Start Date: April 18th, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealything View Post
Not sure about Atkins '72, but in DANDR Dr. Atkins sasy exercise is non-negotiable.

You might not have the endurance levels for running or other more vigorous exercise. I know that my weight training doesn't go too well on low levels of carbs since I get fatigued quickly and can't lift as much. Why not try walking at first?
I totally agree! If you can move, DO IT! If you can't move, DO IT ANYWAYS! If you don't want to move, STILL DO IT! Even it starts as 5 minutes every other day, DO IT!

This is coming from a person who's doc told her to start at 5 min every other day. I wish that I could do more but I have to do with what I can. I guess I'm a little jealous of people who can exercise but don't
JCWANNABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
In Atkins '72 he just recommends taking it easy the first 2 weeks and paying attention to your body since the drastic cut in carbs can lead to lightheadedness and dizziness in some people.

Personally, I don't exercise (as in going to a gym, cardio, etc.). I just make sure to keep an active lifestyle (mowing the lawn, cleaning, gardening, etc.)...all things I could do with no problem during induction.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote