Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Wed 8/3/11

I called doc's office this morning and have an appointment for 10:00. I must get on the road in a few minutes. I like the doctor I'm getting. He's a DO and the same one that treated me for my UTI's recently. I'll check in during the day at work if I can. When I type a lot, boss wanted to know who I'm writing to. Have a great day everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #152
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
~Reading~Learning~Changing~Understanding~

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucie View Post
Hi, this is Saucie.
Thank you so much for all your responses to my thread. I felt like an alian over at the Atkins web site, so don't go there any more.

saucie~~~~ We are very glad you re-found us. The A. site is totally not Atkins. I tried to talk to a few ppl and I soon discovered I was wasting my fingers. Had I not went to the site I would have already been within a few pounds of my goal. Everyone on the site is trying to change this and that. Dr. Atkins had already done all the math. He made his plan a breeze to follow. He was pressured into making his plan more and more geared toward the old food pyramid. They would not leave his plan alone. I remembered when he died everyone of the want~to~be right~ ppl pounced on his still warm body to scream loudly for all to hear, {Dr. Robert Atkins died from his on poor eating habits}. For me learning he had died from complications from a fall on ICE; well it proved more to me how easily it is for a few ppl to make things all distorted. When I look back on my own life and really look at how I lived, with all the SUGAR and so many of the other wrong things I put into my body, I get very upset with myself. In a earlier post from you, you said you believe the A. site ppl did not even know about his original plan. Some know about it, while others do their very best to convince everyone new to the forums, that the NEW BOOK, which was written from a man in his grave, is the correct one to follow.

I have no idea how I found this site. I think I was looking for a certain kind of PRO powder to make a quick breakfast drink to drink on my way to work, and somehow clicked on the site. Then I couldn't remember how to get back. ???

saucie~~~did you save this site to your desktop?

I am glad to find others who KNOW how Dr. Atkins intended his research to be accepted. I am going from memory, but I think I still have his books, and will review them. I have a couple of his VHS tapes about his food plan, and I even have a small TV that will still play VHS so I can review them, as well.

The VHS tapes you have are a valuable tool. My hopes are you will have them put on DVD! I know I would buy one!

I only know that his plan I followed 10 years ago worked for me. I followed my Cholesterol numbers during the 9 months while I was eating bacon and other fats, and my total numbers became very low (117) even with the "terrible fats" that I ate during the entire process. I never accepted the low-fat concept of weight loss after that. We have been very mis-led by the pyrmid concept that taught the more grains, the better. (Mary Lou Henner, are you listening)

saucie~~~ Who is Mary lou Henner? I am so glad you told us about your lower lipid numbers. My numbers are very high. I refuse to take pills for this problem. Does anyone know what Statins do to ones body? Statins deplete the body of oxygen. What loves low oxygen? CANCER!

My friend from England is the one who really started me eating full-fat foods, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, ect. They are not so low-fat driven in that country, and embrace the healthy milk fats. Do you realize how hard it is to find full-fat yogurt at the markets? I don't want to be a bad influence by suggesting foods not on the program.

I see nothing wrong with input on foods that does not stop weight lose!!

It is difficult for me to be in Ketosis unless I do a zero-carb induction, but once I go to 40 CHO total for the day, I still lose, and am not very purple.

What does CHO stand for?

Thank you for sharing your progresses. I envy those of you who are disicplined enough to eat your meals and not nibble in between times. That is not my eating style, and I think one reason I choose Atkins if the first place was because I didn't have to worry about total calories, and always had something "free" I could eat and not interfer with my weight loss, or the burning of my own body fat.

Yes~that is what makes this WOE so great. Nibbling on carb free cheese and all of the other wonderful things we can have, keeps our eyes on the prize!

I love Dr. Robert Atkins, and the way he stuck his neck out to teach what he believed. It is interesting to see that his plan keeps coming up as a tried and true method of weight loss, even this many years after his death.
Yes it is!!!

Last edited by marylouise; 08-03-2011 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: wrong word
Old 08-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #153
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
I called doc's office this morning and have an appointment for 10:00. I must get on the road in a few minutes. I like the doctor I'm getting. He's a DO and the same one that treated me for my UTI's recently. I'll check in during the day at work if I can. When I type a lot, boss wanted to know who I'm writing to. Have a great day everyone!
He sounds like a true toe head. I wonder if he wore a diaper to work?
Be safe. and I am glad you are going to doctor
Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #154
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
You're spot on with everything you said. Dr. A did add more veggies in the DANDR 2002 version. But I think it was a response to all the beat downs he got with his 1972 version as more of a compromise to doctors screaming that people need to eat more vegetables. His 2002 worked for me in 2009 but it took 9 months. I am not getting any younger
I agree WD completly.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #155
Blabbermouth!!!

Lindab~~~Where are you? :-)

I want be on very much today. I have to go food shopping, finally!

Everyone be safe. I will check back in later tonight.
Hi jenna:-)
Old 08-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #156
Blabbermouth!!!

Proven Unsafe But FDA-Approved: Are YOU Still Consuming This Man-Made Poison? Proven Unsafe But FDA-Approved: Are YOU Still Consuming This Man-Made Poison?
Buried deep in corporate greed and politics, perhaps the greatest scandal in U.S. history has become an atrocious public health threat. Through devious deception, this man-made poison received the rubber stamp of approval almost 30 years ago and today remains in nearly 6000 foods and beverages. Could the tremendous spike in brain tumors possibly be related?

{This is from Dr. Mercola. He is talking about Aspartame!}

* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Subscribe Now Subscribe Now! Unsubscribe Unsubscribe

ęCopyright 1997-2011 Dr. Joseph Mercola. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of Dr. Mercola, unless otherwise noted. Individual articles are based upon the opinions of the respective author, who retains copyright as marked. The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research and experience of Dr. Mercola and his community. Dr. Mercola encourages you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional.
Mercola.com Mercola.com
3200 W. Higgins Rd.
Hoffman Estates, IL 60169

I wanted to post this for anyone that is still consuming this poison! In the early 80's they warned ppl to not use this chemical! A young boy died from the chemical!!! In the early 80's. I have been reading Dr. Mercola's web site since 2003
Old 08-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lindaboca
Saucie, Hi. I am a nibbler too, but after a week on the plan I wasn't too hungry and the weight loss motivated me. I am retired and so can go to the computer as needed. When I feel hungry between meals or feel like cheating I come here or try to take a walk, or don't laugh brush my teeth. It takes the hunger away. I also drink a diluted glass of crystal light. I am glad you found this site too. If you follow the 68/72 version this is the place. I did not lose on NANY. I am too carb sensitive. I also take 2 meds that cause weight gain. To date my ketostix don't register very purple , but I am losing and less hungry. I am an emotional eater so I have to be really careful. Whitedove is right. ML got me hooked on CO I take a teasp in my coffee and am up to 2. Take it slowly as it can affect you as nausea, bathroom issues until you get used to it. Always eat somehing with it. I got used to it in about 2 weeks. Not everybody reacts to it but on The A site a lot did so I followed their suggestions.

Whitedove. Am worried about your leg. You really need to see a dr if not better in a few days. I love your recycling fat slogan. I only have the coconut flavored oil. I ordered it on line and ended up with 4 huge jars. I do use it for frying and it is ok, never for salad dressing. ML gave some suggestions for hair and body on the A site so use it for that too. It has really helped my hair. I lost all my hair 2 years ago and when it grew back it was thinner in front and the texture and shine was almost nil. I t didn't help with regrowth but my hair looks better. Before chemo my hair was so thick and wavy, it was hard to handle.

ML love your slogan, guess I will have to come up with one soon.
Hi Jenna, love your slogan too. Such creative people on this thread. Hope you join us soon. I love where you live. It is a beautiful community, about an hour from me.I live in Sylmar where all the fires and earthquakes are. Last year during the fires they were so close that we were on evacuation notice, and during the lasr big earthquake we lost so much, it has taken my hubby 8 years to rebuild everything from yard walls to inside damage. However I stay here because my grandkids live 15 min away and my elderly father-in-law 5 min. It has rural parts, so the kids get to see horses, goats etc. They love it.

Oh by the way CO does not have to be refrigerated. It doer lose some consistency but thickens up in the cooler weather. It is easier to use because my in the frige got too hard and then I'd forget to use it.

Also next week I may not be on line for the week. I have to have dental surgery. After the chemo I was told by many and reading up on it to remove all my gold and silver fillings and crowns, so I am doing it. Even my dentist agreed. But as soon as I can I will be catching up. I know I probably will lose some but I will probably gain it back . I can only eat jello and really soft foods. I don't want to et puddings so I will stick with diet jello and the whipped topping, and chicken broth. My hubby can not cook so I will have to rely on prepared foods. But once this is over with I can get back to normal with your help. It took me 3 weeks of off and on again starts. Would you believe that I m OCD about house cleaning as well as other things, but never my weight. I am starting at a lower weight this time, but before chemo I was 190, and counting.. Hate exercise too, and need to make that a priority too.

Have a good day all.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #158
Senior LCF Member

OMG sorry about the typos. Too many senior moments.

ML have fun shopping I feel good when my frige is full. Have cooked up a storm for hubby for next week so he won't starve while I am under the weather.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #159
Senior LCF Member

One more thing Whitedove is Linda and I am linda too. She has kindly agreed to remain Whitedove so there is no confusion. Thank you Whitedove aka Linda.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Doc appointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
He sounds like a true toe head. I wonder if he wore a diaper to work?
Be safe. and I am glad you are going to doctor
Someone did get him Depends for Men last birthday - he was insulted and threw them away.

Came back from doc. He and his nurse said it was bad, infected and my leg started swelling up. This is even from putting Neosporin on it every day! He said it's just my body reacting to the burn.

I've had so many infections this month. This is be the 3rd antibiotic in a month's time. Yeast, (2) UTI's and now this.

So, he said I need to take an oral antibiotic (Tetracycline type) generic for Vibramycin, keep putting on the Neosporin, wrap it when I'm out and about but unwrap it when I'm home just watching TV to let it air out a little. Wrap it when I go to bed again.

We were talking about Fresca and I got my taste buds ready to buy it but doesn't that have Aspartame? If I get it, it'll just be a once in a while thing. I don't drink a lot of diet sodas anyway. In the summertime, I do like carbonation. It' quenches my thirst better than plan ice water. Been drinking can flavored Seltzer water - no sugars, no calories. It's like a diluted soda in flavor.

Have fun shopping ML! Stock up.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaboca View Post
One more thing Whitedove is Linda and I am linda too. She has kindly agreed to remain Whitedove so there is no confusion. Thank you Whitedove aka Linda.
No, problemo about the typos and I didn't even notice them while reading. We all make them.

May I ask what the chemo was for? That is rough treatment

Awww, Linda! We are all going to miss you next week. But I think you are doing the best thing. Little by little, I am removing my silver/mercury fillings. I had a permanent bridge put in this past Spring and told the dentist to re-fill the teeth in from and back before the bridge. It worked out well except the 1st tooth where he drilled to the dentin - I needed 7 shots to stop me from jumping off the chair. I'm glad for it instead of having a gap where the root canal tooth had to be removed. Sounds like you'll be put under. I love that way. No pain and I get to go la-la.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Hi whitedove, glad you went to the Dr. You should be fine now. The chemo was for breast cancer hormone positive receptor. I had a hysterectomy at age 29 and took hormones until age 60 and 2 years after being taken off of them got diagnosed with breast cancer, Did not have a clue either. No signs like a lump etc. Just went for the regular mammogram and they found it. I had a lumpectomy and five nodes removed so it was stage 2. I am a 2 year survivor as of June 1 . Fortunately it is not a death sentence any more and after taking hormone blockers for 5 years should be ok. The teeth issue will all be taken care of next week.. I am like you and hard to get numb, so I want to do it all at once.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #163
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: saucie
Stats: 188
WOE: I don't use net carbs. give me the whole CHO list
Start Date: Jan '11 to april '11. A new start Aug 1 '11
MaryLouise
I also follow Dr. Mercola. When I took his Nutritional typing test, I came through as a Protein eater. He advocates 15 Gms of PRO within an hour of waking. Recently, I saw another Pro-Protein writer on Dr. Oz. This author recommended 30 Gms of PRO within 30 min of awakening to jump start metabolism. 5 eggs will do this, but I opted for a PRO drink from Costco that has 30 gms in it. It also has 4 gms of CHO (carbs), and is terribly constipating! This author said to fold under the entire bottom of the food pyramid and ignore all the grains.
Dr Oz has some weird food beliefs, (I think he is Vegan?)but he said his "researchers" found that the high PRO approach had science behind it and approved.

I like Dr Mercola's no nonsense approach to eating fats, dairy, and meats. I ordered his PRO powder, and it was very good, but expensive. I was looking around for a cheaper version of this "Defense Nutrition Whey Ptotein Concentrate" when I found this site. The problem w/ his PRO drink is that it is about 10 gms of CHO per scoop, and that is too much for me.

I lost 28 pounds from Christmas to Easter following the CHO restriction. For some reason, I came off at the end of April, and was off until August 1st. I regained about 6pounds during those 3 months. More noticable in inches, rather than pounds. I am back on tract now. I do try to keep my protein numbers up. I also take a supplement that is called a "Lipotropic" combo of amino acids that are written to help release fat faster from the liver when it is being used for energy. If you have heard of the B12/MIC Lipotropic "shots", it is the same amino acids in pill form. I thought they helped me.

MaryLou Henner is an actress who used to be on "Taxi" She refuses her children any dairy products, and gives them grains and vegetables. She is somehow considered a nutritional "authority" and sometimes appears on TV panel discussions. She says that Farmers give animals milk to fatten them up for market. Well, I am from a farm, and the animals get GRAINS (Oats, corn) to fatten them, NOT milk.

I think we all have to find what works, and will fit into our daily work lives, and home responsibilities. As long as I have acceptable foods I can nibble on without messing up my ketosis, then this is my program.

I spent a long time earlier today reviewing the early thread explaining Dr. Atkins 68/72 approach. I plan on making the Revolution Rolls yet today. I will look for his 72 book on Amazon. I just found Atkins for Life (2003) on my book shelf. At least they still list carbs, and net/carbs at the bottom of each recipe. When I am ready, after another 20 pounds lost, I will increase my daily CHO level to 60 or so. If I weigh 150, I am a size 10, and that is what I desire to be. I'd rather be a little curvy than boney. I have no desire for my hip bones to show, or be felt.

sorry this is so long. I have kept going back to it as I have worked around my house today. I am in Malibu at the moment, so will go for my walk yet at Zuma Beach.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #164
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Saucie, Hi. I am a nibbler too, but after a week on the plan I wasn't too hungry and the weight loss motivated me. I am retired and so can go to the computer as needed. When I feel hungry between meals or feel like cheating I come here or try to take a walk, or don't laugh brush my teeth. It takes the hunger away. I also drink a diluted glass of crystal light. I am glad you found this site too. If you follow the 68/72 version this is the place.linda is very right about that I did not lose on NANY. I am too carb sensitive. I also take 2 meds that cause weight gain. To date my ketostix don't register very purple , but I am losing and less hungry. I am an emotional eater so I have to be really careful. Whitedove is right. ML got me hooked on CO I take a teasp in my coffee and am up to 2. Take it slowly as it can affect you as nausea, bathroom issues until you get used to it.

Always eat somehing with it. I got used to it in about 2 weeks. Not everybody reacts to it but on The A site a lot did so I followed their suggestions.

linda I foget about eating something with it. That is a great tip! It does not bother me anymore like that. I went back to putin heavy cream in my coffee 2 times a day. We drink a lot of coffee

Whitedove. Am worried about your leg. You really need to see a dr if not better in a few days. I love your recycling fat slogan. I only have the coconut flavored oil. I ordered it on line and ended up with 4 huge jars. I do use it for frying and it is ok, never for salad dressing. ML gave some suggestions for hair and body on the A site so use it for that too. It has really helped my hair. I lost all my hair 2 years ago and when it grew back it was thinner in front and the texture and shine was almost nil. I t didn't help with regrowth but my hair looks better. Before chemo my hair was so thick and wavy, it was hard to handle.

ML love your slogan, guess I will have to come up with one soon.

Hi Jenna, love your slogan too. Such creative people on this thread. Hope you join us soon. I love where you live. It is a beautiful community, about an hour from me.I live in Sylmar where all the fires and earthquakes are. Last year during the fires they were so close that we were on evacuation notice, and during the lasr big earthquake we lost so much, it has taken my hubby 8 years to rebuild everything from yard walls to inside damage.
I am sorry yall had to go through all that!
However I stay here because my grandkids live 15 min away and my elderly father-in-law 5 min. It has rural parts, so the kids get to see horses, goats etc. They love it.

Oh by the way CO does not have to be refrigerated. It doer lose some consistency but thickens up in the cooler weather. It is easier to use because my in the frige got too hard and then I'd forget to use it.

Also next week I may not be on line for the week. I have to have dental surgery. After the chemo I was told by many and reading up on it to remove all my gold and silver fillings and crowns, so I am doing it. Even my dentist agreed. But as soon as I can I will be catching up. I know I probably will lose some but I will probably gain it back . I can only eat jello and really soft foods. I don't want to et puddings so I will stick with diet jello and the whipped topping, and chicken broth.I have took the chicken fat and thrown it away and added CO to each cup!!!!

My hubby can not cook so I will have to rely on prepared foods. But once this is over with I can get back to normal with your help. It took me 3 weeks of off and on again starts. Would you believe that I m OCD about house cleaning as well as other things, but never my weight. I am starting at a lower weight this time, but before chemo I was 190, and counting.. Hate exercise too, and need to make that a priority too.

Have a good day all.

I got a lot of the good cheese
Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Saucie, somehow I thought you were from Texas. How nice to be in Malibu and I know Zuma Beach well. I took the grandkids there last week. Have a nice walk.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #166
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Someone did get him Depends for Men last birthday - he was insulted and threw them away. WD~~~that's funny but, I am referring to what you said last night. When he sent you that email

Came back from doc. He and his nurse said it was bad, infected and my leg started swelling up. This is even from putting Neosporin on it every day! He said it's just my body reacting to the burn.

I am very glad you went. Did you tell him you got in swimming pool after the burn??

I've had so many infections this month. This is be the 3rd antibiotic in a month's time. Yeast, (2) UTI's and now this.

You are going to need to replace your good flora~~

So, he said I need to take an oral antibiotic (Tetracycline type) generic for Vibramycin, keep putting on the Neosporin, wrap it when I'm out and about but unwrap it when I'm home just watching TV to let it air out a little. Wrap it when I go to bed again.

Reading you words make me hurt~ I am sorry that happened to you

We were talking about Fresca and I got my taste buds ready to buy it but doesn't that have Aspartame? If I get it, it'll just be a once in a while thing. I don't drink a lot of diet sodas anyway. In the summertime, I do like carbonation. It' quenches my thirst better than plan ice water. Been drinking can flavored Seltzer water - no sugars, no calories. It's like a diluted soda in flavor.

Okay, you know that was in the 70's Aspartame was not discovered then. I am not sure but I think saccharin was used at that time. It was an accident. The guy that discovered the chemicals he had put together were sweet

Have fun shopping ML! Stock up.
I did not at first have fun. My hip and back has gone out. It happened 3 days ago. I have hip dysplasia and a bad back. I feel better now. It happens several times a year. Nathleen gave me half of a Lortab and I was able to get finished shopping. I can already feel it is going away. Not because of the pain pill. That is just the way it goes out and comes back

Old 08-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Day 5 - 8/3/11 - ******

B: 11:30 - Burger King Double Cheeseburger plain
L: Homemade Chicken Salad w/mayo and celery
S: Steamed shrimp and 1 cup lettuce
Snack: more chicken salad

Cal: 1704 (wow - I was hungry)
Fat: 86g
Carb: 8g
Prot: 211g

It should be interesting to see what the scale says tomorrow.

ML: I did tell doc about my daughter's pool after the burn. He actually said that is good to do that and I am not on restriction with that. The chorine kills the germs. He said it'll hurt and you'll lose skin or scabs but that's ok. He's a sport medicine doctor (DO) so I hope he knows his stuff. He was pretty cheerful about it all.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
I did not at first have fun. My hip and back has gone out. It happened 3 days ago. I have hip dysplasia and a bad back. I feel better now. It happens several times a year. Nathleen gave me half of a Lortab and I was able to get finished shopping. I can already feel it is going away. Not because of the pain pill. That is just the way it goes out and comes back

Sorry to hear about your hip. I was just talking to a friend of mine this evening and she threw out her hip a couple of weeks ago carrying grocery bags a good distance. She's in her 60's. But yours sounds chronic. How did you get hip dysplasia?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi whitedove, glad you went to the Dr. You should be fine now. The chemo was for breast cancer hormone positive receptor. I had a hysterectomy at age 29 and took hormones until age 60 and 2 years after being taken off of them got diagnosed with breast cancer, Did not have a clue either. No signs like a lump etc. Just went for the regular mammogram and they found it. I had a lumpectomy and five nodes removed so it was stage 2. I am a 2 year survivor as of June 1 . Fortunately it is not a death sentence any more and after taking hormone blockers for 5 years should be ok. The teeth issue will all be taken care of next week.. I am like you and hard to get numb, so I want to do it all at once.
Sorry to hear about the breast cancer and glad you are a survivor. My mother in law and her twin sister both had breast cancer when they were in their 60's and now they are 84 yrs old and still kicking , traveling, going to the movies and raising royal heck in this town.

I am going to a new gyno (a woman's clinic) this Friday that specializes in HRT. My last doc said I was estrogen dominant (without testing my hormones) and he put me on Prometium (progesterone) and it made me gain 5 lbs in a week. I stopped it and fired him. I'll see how this gyno is. I really don't want to be on any HRT if I can help it. I don't even get heat flashes. Just heavy TOM's that last from 1 week to 17 days, sometimes skipping a month and having 2 in a month. I think it's more like entering menopause. I can live with that. Not the side effects of progesterone. I actually got so tired and sleepy taking it that I felt drunk and staggering. I hope this doc at least test my hormone levels, then I'll decide what I want to do.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #170
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your hip. I was just talking to a friend of mine this evening and she threw out her hip a couple of weeks ago carrying grocery bags a good distance. She's in her 60's. But yours sounds chronic. How did you get hip dysplasia?
I was told I was born with it
Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #171
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
MaryLouise
I also follow Dr. Mercola. When I took his Nutritional typing test, I came through as a Protein eater. He advocates 15 Gms of PRO within an hour of waking. Recently, I saw another Pro-Protein writer on Dr. Oz. This author recommended 30 Gms of PRO within 30 min of awakening to jump start metabolism. 5 eggs will do this, but I opted for a PRO drink from Costco that has 30 gms in it. It also has 4 gms of CHO (carbs), and is terribly constipating! This author said to fold under the entire bottom of the food pyramid and ignore all the grains.
Dr Oz has some weird food beliefs, (I think he is Vegan?)but he said his "researchers" found that the high PRO approach had science behind it and approved.

I like Dr Mercola's no nonsense approach to eating fats, dairy, and meats. I ordered his PRO powder, and it was very good, but expensive. I was looking around for a cheaper version of this "Defense Nutrition Whey Ptotein Concentrate" when I found this site. The problem w/ his PRO drink is that it is about 10 gms of CHO per scoop, and that is too much for me.

I lost 28 pounds from Christmas to Easter following the CHO restriction. For some reason, I came off at the end of April, and was off until August 1st. I regained about 6pounds during those 3 months. More noticable in inches, rather than pounds. I am back on tract now. I do try to keep my protein numbers up. I also take a supplement that is called a "Lipotropic" combo of amino acids that are written to help release fat faster from the liver when it is being used for energy. If you have heard of the B12/MIC Lipotropic "shots", it is the same amino acids in pill form. I thought they helped me.

MaryLou Henner is an actress who used to be on "Taxi" She refuses her children any dairy products, and gives them grains and vegetables. She is somehow considered a nutritional "authority" and sometimes appears on TV panel discussions. She says that Farmers give animals milk to fatten them up for market. Well, I am from a farm, and the animals get GRAINS (Oats, corn) to fatten them, NOT milk.

I think we all have to find what works, and will fit into our daily work lives, and home responsibilities. As long as I have acceptable foods I can nibble on without messing up my ketosis, then this is my program.

I spent a long time earlier today reviewing the early thread explaining Dr. Atkins 68/72 approach. I plan on making the Revolution Rolls yet today. I will look for his 72 book on Amazon. I just found Atkins for Life (2003) on my book shelf. At least they still list carbs, and net/carbs at the bottom of each recipe. When I am ready, after another 20 pounds lost, I will increase my daily CHO level to 60 or so. If I weigh 150, I am a size 10, and that is what I desire to be. I'd rather be a little curvy than boney. I have no desire for my hip bones to show, or be felt.

sorry this is so long. I have kept going back to it as I have worked around my house today. I am in Malibu at the moment, so will go for my walk yet at Zuma Beach.
saucie I loved reading your post and I am going to respond to it. I wanted to make sure knew I did not slide past it. I have had a really hard day, painful day. I so want to respond. And I am going to. I need to do it tomorrow. I had to say this to you because I do not want you to think I was being mean or avoiding you. I love your post and I can't wait to reply. I like Dr. Mercola!
I think we have a lot in of the same interest. OKdokie

I looked for the yogurt today, no luck!

Good Night everyone.
Be Safe
marylouise

Last edited by marylouise; 08-03-2011 at 09:51 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #172
Blabbermouth!!!

NITE EVERYONE
Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #173
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: picturemerollin
Stats: 268/dont know yet/ a sexy beast baaby!
WOE: Huffing and puffing my way up a flight of stairs!
Start Date: March/04 the first time/ Sept 20 Never giving up!
Hi ladies, my name is Dee I hope I can join you. I did my own atkins back in 2004-2005 and lost 95lbs. At the time I was trying to lose weight before I went to meet my online boyfriend in Korea. Well fast forward to 2011, my online boyfriend is my husband and we have 2 kids plus about 50lbs of the 95lbs I lost. I have gone back and forth with atkins but cannot seem to stay on for long becuase of slow weight loss and then dissapointment and well you know the rest. But after reading your thread and seeing this version of atkins I am ready to try again doing atkins 68.

I will try to avoid the heavy cream as that was my savior back in 2004 and I have also cut out onions even though this morning I mistakingly had steak and onions. I am trying to go zero carbs to lose as fast as possible. Can anyone here tell me how fast some of your loses have been doing A68/72?

Anyway thanks for inspiring me to try again!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...PAj/weight.png
Old 08-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #174
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturemerollin View Post
Hi ladies, my name is Dee I hope I can join you. I did my own atkins back in 2004-2005 and lost 95lbs. At the time I was trying to lose weight before I went to meet my online boyfriend in Korea. Well fast forward to 2011, my online boyfriend is my husband and we have 2 kids plus about 50lbs of the 95lbs I lost. I have gone back and forth with atkins but cannot seem to stay on for long becuase of slow weight loss and then dissapointment and well you know the rest. But after reading your thread and seeing this version of atkins I am ready to try again doing atkins 68.

I will try to avoid the heavy cream as that was my savior back in 2004 and I have also cut out onions even though this morning I mistakingly had steak and onions. I am trying to go zero carbs to lose as fast as possible. Can anyone here tell me how fast some of your loses have been doing A68/72?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #175
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturemerollin View Post

It is great to met you. We are helping each other to understand Atkins. Most I believe have use Atkins more than once, and had great success. We are doing a clean induction. I have almost lost 2 pounds sine starting the WOE. Our goal is too lose it and learn how to keep it off

I too love cream. I have added back a small amount. saucie uses it and it has not stopped her from losing

So welcome on board I live in Tennessee.

marylouise
Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #176
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
MaryLouise
I also follow Dr. Mercola. When I took his Nutritional typing test, I came through as a Protein eater.

Oh gosh I missed that email from him!!. I need to go thru my emails and try to find it. My son found Dr. Mercola in 2002 or 2003. We were trying to help my mama, deal with lung cancer. She was old school and trused a doctor she could see.
He advocates 15 Gms of PRO within an hour of waking. Recently, I saw another Pro-Protein writer on Dr. Oz. This author recommended 30 Gms of PRO within 30 min of awakening to jump start metabolism. 5 eggs will do this, but I opted for a PRO drink from Costco that has 30 gms in it. It also has 4 gms of CHO (carbs), and is terribly constipating! This author said to fold under the entire bottom of the food pyramid and ignore all the grains.

Dr. OZ really usset a lot of ppl when he attacted a man who eats our way. I cant remember his name? I have been so busy I have lost touch with all t.v.. We had our Dish turned off as we are moving back to Arkansas. I always try to get some fat or protein in as soon as possibe!!

I don't know what that is? Lilotropic?

OH I do know her, but I don't know anything about her. That is interresting

Yes we are all different. Some things help one and hurt others

I love weighing 150!!!

You post is not long. I am the one here that usually writes a BOOK
Old 08-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #177
Blabbermouth!!!

WOW I have a lot of typos in that post.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi all and Welcome Picture

My computer at home won't work this morning. I'm at work so I probably can't write much unless boss sleeps this afternoon.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Hi all, most of you are a few hours ahead of Cali so by the time I got home I thought it was too late to post.
Hi picturemerollin and welcome. You will love it here. Everyone is very supportive. It was hard for me to get started but with help I finally made it through a week. I lost 6 lbs in a week but it took me 3 weeks of going on and off to really get started. The NANY version did not work for me. I am too carb sensitive. I do drink coffee with coconut oil and deluted crystal light. CO is great. Start out sparingly like 1 tsp and eat something with it. I also fry with it, but not on salads because I use the one with the coconut taste.
Whitedove, yes I know breast cancer is not a death sentence anymore. I am taking a hormone blocker for 5 years. So far all my checkups have been positive and the worst thing is my deformity. They did a lumpectomy/removal of lymph nodes and he wasn't a plastic surgeon so you can imagine. I don't wear sleeveless shirts or bathing suit tops anymore. I am afraid to have plastic surgery as I think messing around with it is not a good idea. My hubby is OK with it. Be careful with hormones. Mine was hormone positive receptor and I had been taking hormones for 30 some years. I had to have a hysterectomy at age 29. Two years after they took me off the hormones I was diagnosed with stage 2 cancer. But I feel great and as the weight comes off even better. It was weird. I actually lost 56 lbs during chemo and it seemed that I would not gain any back and I had a year of eating like a skinny person. Then after a year I gained back 30 so that's what I am trying to get off. I have always been a slow loser before and years ago I did 72 and that was the only thing that worked, believe me. Sometimes it's not the journey but maintenance.

Saucie, the protein within an hour of waking sound little like the leptin resistance plan. Did you omit snacks? I fortunately don't have trouble with that but can't eat too much in the am. I am definitely a night eater. Glad you found a plan that works for you. I agree you have to find a plan that is comfortable for you. That's why 68/72 is good for me. Not a lot of preparation. If I try all the suggested recipes on the A site I would give up. I do cook for my hubby and actually at a point where I don't sample. He likes vegan type recipes. For me eating a snack can trigger more hunger. Go figure. I got my books on Amazon. They have new and used.

ML hope the hip is better and you accomplished your shopping goals. How are the pups?

Jenna hope you join us again soon.

Have a good day all.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #180
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hi all, most of you are a few hours ahead of Cali so by the time I got home I thought it was too late to post.

Its never too late to post. I think we are 3 hours different time. We have one nephew in the Coast Guard that lives in Cal. Him and his wife live in Eureka Cal. I think it is north of you. His brother is in Coast Guard also and he lives in Alaska with his wife and 2 kids. They are so ready to leave Alaska. Both are wore out from the cold!

Hi picturemerollin and welcome. You will love it here. Everyone is very supportive. It was hard for me to get started but with help I finally made it through a week. I lost 6 lbs in a week but it took me 3 weeks of going on and off to really get started. The NANY version did not work for me. I am too carb sensitive.

I also am too carb sensitive! NANY was not my diet at all. The ones that wrote the book added too many carbs to each phase. Talking to anyone on the site about 72 well I will just say this, they were like a pack of NANY fleas! Tell you this. They did not like you doing your on version, here doggie, here doggie!
A couple of doctors and nutritionist does not work at all for me. I was there a couple of months. So much time wasted. It was not a total waste, I did make three friends there. Lindab~whitedov and Shellbaby! Shellbaby had to have sergury. She had a terrible time with it. I'm a hoping with all my might as soon as she can put a computer on her lap she will be with us soon! My goal is too lose at least 30 pounds before Christmas. It would have taken me 8 years at the rate I was losing. At least that is what Fat Secret said

I do drink coffee with coconut oil and deluted crystal light. CO is great.
Start out sparingly like 1 tsp and eat something with it. I also fry with it, but not on salads because I use the one with the coconut taste.

It is some great stuff. Fry's the best fried chicken I ever ate! Batter free

Whitedove, yes I know breast cancer is not a death sentence anymore. I am taking a hormone blocker for 5 years. So far all my checkups have been positive and the worst thing is my deformity. They did a lumpectomy/removal of lymph nodes and he wasn't a plastic surgeon so you can imagine. I don't wear sleeveless shirts or bathing suit tops anymore. I am afraid to have plastic surgery as I think messing around with it is not a good idea. My hubby is OK with it. Be careful with hormones. Mine was hormone positive receptor and I had been taking hormones for 30 some years. I had to have a hysterectomy at age 29. Two years after they took me off the hormones I was diagnosed with stage 2 cancer. But I feel great and as the weight comes off even better. It was weird. I actually lost 56 lbs during chemo and it seemed that I would not gain any back and I had a year of eating like a skinny person. Then after a year I gained back 30 so that's what I am trying to get off. I have always been a slow loser before and years ago I did 72 and that was the only thing that worked, believe me. Sometimes it's not the journey but maintenance.

The maintenance is the hardest. A whole new WOE must be continued or else you will be back to where you were plus some extra just to makes things worse

Saucie, the protein within an hour of waking sound little like the leptin resistance plan. Did you omit snacks? I fortunately don't have trouble with that but can't eat too much in the am.

Linda you have not mentioned having trouble eating early. HUMMMMMM

I am definitely a night eater. Glad you found a plan that works for you. I agree you have to find a plan that is comfortable for you. That's why 68/72 is good for me. Not a lot of preparation. If I try all the suggested recipes on the A site I would give up. I do cook for my hubby and actually at a point where I don't sample. He likes vegan type recipes. For me eating a snack can trigger more hunger. Go figure. I got my books on Amazon. They have new and used.

ML hope the hip is better and you accomplished your shopping goals. How are the pups?

We just today have starting having clouds all around us after a week of sunshine. Storms are headed toward us. I think that has what makes it worse on me.
Cricket and Gidget are doing good. Nathleen came here this morning to get some stuff of hers. Gidget was very happy to see her. I think she was happy to see her little black beautie also~~~~she said again, oh sweetie I wish I could take you with me. I do have empathy for the both of them. Nathleen knows having her inside would never work. Her oldest daughter was like, mama I would have taken Gidget! They have three inside dogs that have never been outside like Cricket and Gidget. They also have 5 or 6 outside!! Their herd is already spilling over

Jenna hope you join us again soon.

Me too hope you come back soon too!

Have a good day all.

So Linda you have a problem eating in am hours. Well okay~~but you do drink coffee with CO right? I have been sitting here thinking and my thoughts are I wonder if you could try just a couple ounces of cheese, maybe, it is best to eat a little something. Look at WhiteDov, she added a couple of eggs and has lost I think 2 pounds since doing this! Plus it is a medical finding that a little something helps stabilize your blood sugar. Can you try it for a couple days?

Last edited by marylouise; 08-04-2011 at 12:58 PM..
Closed Thread