Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/18/11
In ketosis but not losing. Any ideas?

Hello,

I'm pretty new around here but I wanted to ask a question. I've done Atkins before and had good success. I started it again and today I am going into my 4th week. I'm still doing the induction phase as I haven't lost but 4 pounds. I'm using the ketosis strips and it turns pink to purple every time. The first 2 weeks I did have the occasional Atkins bar but as I didn't see the loss I expected I stopped those. Last week I've eaten nothing but meat, cheese & eggs. I drink lots of water and every now and then have green tea sweetened with stevia. I lost nothing all week. I feel very tired and without energy most of the time. I've been working out with Walk Away the Pounds. Monday through Friday I do 3 miles and on the weekends I do 2 miles one day and take one day off. I've only lost 4 pounds total. I figure there is SOMETHING I'm missing. Something I need to tweak but I have no idea what. Any suggestions wold be great!
Heheher is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PandaReina
Stats: 272.8/248.5/169 - 42 & 5' 8 1/2"
WOE: Atkins + Slow Burn + Swimming
Start Date: 3/21/2011
Heheher,

I am in the same boat. However, I can provide some insight on what is happening to me and what I am doing about it.

I am logging everything that goes into my mouth into a program that tracks the calories, fat, carbs, etc ... I started logging on March 31. Here are my findings:

I was eating 2500 calories a day. Which is way, way too much for me to loose. I Lowered it every 5 days and now I am at 1500, hoping I will loose at this level. But so far no losses.

I am taking some a medication that makes me (potentially) retain water ( I did not know it did that)

My carb intake never goes over 30 net grams and I am in full ketosis everyday. Yet, no loss.

I lost 8 lbs the first 10 days, then nothing afterwards. I weight myself daily to try an figure out what I can tweak.

I cannot exercise right now due to a very painful knee. But hope to start as soon as the inflamation goes away (arthritis).

Anyway, I actually went to the doctor today and I am having several blood tests done. She suspects( (not in any order of importance):
Diabetes 2, Hypothyroidism, PCOS, pre-premenopause (I am 42), Insuline resistance of a sort of another. If all comes back negative then I need to talk to my OBGYN and see about progesterone imbalance (ie, the pre-premenoupause thingie).

Sorry I cannot hep more.

4TH Of July Goal: 245 lbs

You can follow my progress here:
http://gardenshade.wordpress.com/weekly-progress/june-2011/

Last edited by PandaReina; 04-12-2011 at 03:22 PM..
PandaReina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Can only share my own experience here...YMMV...but first, for the fatigue: I take multi-vitamins and a B complex vitamin. Especially when only eating so much meat I think some of those nutrients are missing or insufficient for well-being feelings. I also try to keep cheese to 1 or 2 oz. per day because dairy tends to stall me when I eat more...ditto with processed meats (like bacon, sausage, lunch meat, ham, etc...don't know if it's the salt or the chemicals, but on days I eat a lot of processed meats I never budge on the scale.)

Second, eat some leafy green and dark green veggies...Atkins 72 allows for these even in induction. I go for 2 cups a day (and of course watch the carb content on the salad dressing.)

Third, OP, I know it seems like a lot to lose from your viewpoint, but on the "grand" scale of overweight folks, you really don't have that much to lose. The less you have to lose, the slower it will come off. If you had 100 lbs. to lose, then you'd expect more per week...but at the other end of weightloss needs, 1 lb. a week could very well be the rate you will lose.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: harleychic
Stats: 174 (hw) 160/150/135 5'4
WOE: Atkins 72, clean eating no frankenfoods
Start Date: 5/3/08, re-start after baby #3 born on 3/22/11
Thanks for this thread, I re-started Atkins after having a baby 6 weeks ago. I am 155 and want to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight of 141. I have been doing it for a week and no weight loss yet. I am going to add some dark greens to my diet and try to keep my calories at 1500 and see how this next week goes. Thank you!
harleychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Penelope
WOE: Atkins / Low carb for life
Start Date: 03.18.2011
This exact topic has been on my mind for the past two days and I came here a few moments ago hoping I'd connect with some information.

I've done Atkin's in the past with astonishing results, but over the decades and several babies later, I have about 100 pounds to lose. I started Atkin's about 5 weeks ago - have stayed in a strict induction phase - keeping my daily carb intake to 20 grams or less and caloric intake anywhere from 1,000 to 1,200 and have only managed to lose 10 pounds. On the flip side - I feel amazing, am walking every day and just started back to doing T Tapp as part of my daily regimen. Still -- a loss of only 10 pounds? So disheartening.

I don't doubt I'm insulin resistant, but thought I'd see better results by now.
Penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: buzz4me
Stats: 162/150/110
Start Date: April 19, 2011
Water retention

Wondering about the water retention and perhaps how to get rid of it?

I use to do Quick Weight Loss plan. They put me on Morton's Lite Salt. (1/4 tsp daily) Basically, it has the potassium needed to keep one from feeling weak or having leg cramps. This was due to the water intake. And let's face it some of us don't drink enough water.

But also, they recommended boiling some parsley and drinking the tea. Parsley is great for water retention.

I did some internet research and have found that Magnesium is very good for water retention but great for ones heart. Another vegetable for water retention is Asparagus.

Hope this helps.
buzz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nerma
Stats: 145/???/120
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: May 31, 2011
If you're already eating a bit of salt, then try taking a potassium, that really helps with my symptoms.

The other idea is your carbs may be too low. Dr. A does mention this in the 72 book. He suggest trying to move up to level 2 by adding more veggies. It seems to be all about experimenting a week at a time to find the carb level that works for you to see actual results.

Someone on another thread mentioned they do best on 72 if they add a bit of veg.

I find that artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols stall me more than if I add a few low carb veggies. I don't seem to have any problem with stevia.
nerma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:31 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kathryn1
Stats: 163.4/151.4/135
Start Date: May 2011
This is an interesting thread, I just posted the question myself. Keep on going! Thats what I keep telling myself! It will come off slowly, but surely. Also, what has helped me in the past, a bowl of tuna fish with mayo. Somehow gives my body the kick it needs.
Kathryn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: harleychic
Stats: 174 (hw) 160/150/135 5'4
WOE: Atkins 72, clean eating no frankenfoods
Start Date: 5/3/08, re-start after baby #3 born on 3/22/11
How is everyone doing?? I am still stalled a bit, but I feel great and am not stopping. Did have to fight off some major cravings this weekend, but I did it!!
harleychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
Start Date: 3/18/11
Good morning. When I use the keytone strips, they still say I'm in ketosis. Always dark pink or purple. But I'm still not losing as quickly as I'd like or as quickly as I have in the past with this WOE. BUT, I'm trying to make this WOE a lifestyle change. Also, tyring to remember that it is working.

I've lost 11 pounds since 3/18 but I still have about 23 pounds to go.
Heheher is online now   Reply With Quote