Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins '72 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-72/)
-   -   Help, meal food idea's for atkins 72 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-72/664295-help-meal-food-ideas-atkins-72-a.html)

oneoftwo 03-02-2010 09:38 AM

Help, meal food idea's for atkins 72

I am going to try for this month the 72 plan over the DANDR. Of course I wanted to start yesterday and the book I ordered is not here yet. So I just kept it to meat and eggs yesterday only.

Can anyone give me some meal idea's for the first week of the 72 plan? (my book should be here later this week). What about what I can put on meats (I hate eating just plain meat).

verbqueen 03-02-2010 09:52 AM

I can tell you how I started off. It wasn't very interesting, but it worked.

I bought frozen chicken breast cutlets (these thaw and cook faster than full-sized breasts), really fatty hamburger meat, and small steaks. I froze them in individual sized portions (I fashioned most of the hamburger into patties.) I bought either bagged salad or packages of romaine heads, depending on what was on sale and what looked better. I also bought hunks of favorite cheeses--mostly sharp cheddar. I also bought that pre-cooked, microwavable bacon in the really big package at Costco. For salad dressing, I bought Ken's Steakhouse balsamic and basil, which is very low carb.

For breakfast, I'd have a hunk of cheese and some bacon slices (I hate eggs.)

For lunch and dinner, I'd take out one of my steaks, hamburger patties or chicken cutlets and cook them in lots of butter on the stovetop, or in my George Foreman grill, and then top them with plenty of butter or olive oil. I'd have a salad with Ken's dressing on the side. The hamburger patties I'd usually melt a slice of cheese on top of and eat with mustard and dill pickle slices on a piece of lettuce.

Like I said, not very interesting, but it works. Be sure to use plenty of fat--probably more than you're comfortable with. It keeps you full and really fires up that fat-burning metabolism you're trying to achieve.

After the first week, you can add in a little more and start making some low carb recipes. For those, I highly recommend this site. Linda's recipes are fantastic, and all the carb/calorie data is calculated for you!

verbqueen 03-02-2010 09:55 AM

Oh, and far as seasoning the meat, I love the Montreal Chicken seasoning and the Montreal Steak seasoning. You can find them on the spice aisle of any grocery store. I didn't check them for carb content--I just didn't worry about it. Dr. A allows the use of spices. That chicken seasoning really jazzes up a grilled breast!

oneoftwo 03-02-2010 10:12 AM

Thanks verbqueen. What cut of steaks did you usually get?

Is cheese limited on the 72 plan?

verbqueen 03-02-2010 10:14 AM

I used some little steaks I see around here, called "tri tip steaks." They are tender, but small. I have to admit that I've never seen the "tri tip" cut anywhere but California. You could certainly cut up larger steaks into small portions, though. I also see people on this site recommend a "chuck eye" steak. I have never seen those around here, though.

Cheese is limited to 4 ounces of firm cheese (basically not cream or cottage cheese).

2bflawless 03-02-2010 02:36 PM

Breakfast: 2 eggs over and easy cooked in butter 4-6 pc of bacon
2 cups coffee w/HWC and liquid splenda

L: chicken w/1 cup ceasar salad no crutons

D: steak w/ 1 cup salad.

Get the book! Lots of recipes in there too!

Morrighan 03-03-2010 01:59 PM

OMG Steak with butter. BEST. FOOD. EVER!

You can also soften some butter and mix in seasonings (garlic, basil, etc.) then roll it up in a log in wax paper and put it back in the fridge to harden. Cut of a disk or two for your steak. It is to die for, let me tell you.

I'm also a huge fan of bacon - I think I could live on it if I had to. Premade hamburger patties with some shredded cheese on top and mayo if you want a condiment - just make sure you get the 100% hamburger with no fillers.

Cheese omelettes are good as well.

2bflawless 03-03-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrighan (Post 13208649)
OMG Steak with butter. BEST. FOOD. EVER!
You can also soften some butter and mix in seasonings (garlic, basil, etc.) then roll it up in a log in wax paper and put it back in the fridge to harden. Cut of a disk or two for your steak. It is to die for, let me tell you.

I'm also a huge fan of bacon - I think I could live on it if I had to. Premade hamburger patties with some shredded cheese on top and mayo if you want a condiment - just make sure you get the 100% hamburger with no fillers.

Cheese omelettes are good as well.

:high5:
I could live on bacon too! :laugh:

Morrighan 03-04-2010 12:27 PM

Oh, I also discovered you can make meatloaf using grated parmesan (think Kraft in a can) cheese as a binder instead of bread crumbs. YUM!

Circuslife 03-05-2010 09:21 AM

I love bacon too! I could eat it everyday. I like to get the Wendy's baconator burger without ketchup and no bun, and dip it in mayo.

Morrighan 03-05-2010 09:22 AM

Oh, I'm totally going to try that!!!!

miss sparky 03-07-2010 02:00 AM

Yes I also do the garlic butter thing, and have a couple of pats on steak and brocolli.

Wrap chicken breasts in bacon and bake in the oven, or chop up and fry and mix in with some nice green salad.

martiangurll 04-03-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Circuslife (Post 13216423)
I love bacon too! I could eat it everyday. I like to get the Wendy's baconator burger without ketchup and no bun, and dip it in mayo.

Bacconator was made for LC dieting (minus the bun and stuff of course)

motherofthebride 04-25-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrighan (Post 13208649)

Nifty idea! Thanks for sharing.:cool:

susanleet 04-25-2010 09:27 AM

Yesterday I made scampi sauce with olive oil, a stick of butter, garlic and spices, and grated parm cheese. I cooked shrimp in half and chicken in the other half.
I can safely say I ate Atleast a stick of butter not counting the butter I cooked my eggs in.
Was delicious.

lancer1977 04-26-2010 10:43 AM

I am also getting back on board, breakfast can be a bit hectic at my house depending on the day and I wasen't sure how this would taste, but I mixed up some dump truck eggs (as I call them).

2 Medium Mushrooms cut using a french fry hand cutter,
2 pieces of bacon cut into little squares
I cook this up with plenty of chili powder, paprika, red pepper, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin seed...
then 2 eggs with just a bit of HWC, with the same spices, and cook that into the bacon/mushrooms once they have cooked. I sprinkle some grated cheese while its cooking as well.

It's delicious. I just X this by as many servings as I need for the next few days, divy them up in some tupperware containers and now I have breakfast on the run. It's really yummy reheated, and oddly enough cold.

martiangurll 04-26-2010 04:10 PM

Okay, I gots no frenchfry cutter, but I am totally trying your Dump Truck Eggs tomorrow Lancer1977!

I may even add some Rotel chilis to the mix

lancer1977 04-26-2010 04:16 PM

I love rotel. The french fry cutter is kinda nice because its saves a little time and you get some nice sized chunks that really soak up the spices. mmmm I am totally going to make some more tonight...

martiangurll 04-27-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer1977 (Post 13415640)
I love rotel. The french fry cutter is kinda nice because its saves a little time and you get some nice sized chunks that really soak up the spices. mmmm I am totally going to make some more tonight...

Ate this for lunch & it was delish. This helped me get over my egg aversion. Eggs are back on the menu. It may be dinner too!

Bikerchick 04-28-2010 10:23 AM

You know it's really quite difficult to find foods I can eat. I cannot have cheese, or anything with vinegar in it. So all the sauces and condiments are strictly off limits. I cannot have mushrooms (which I love). Nothing processed like packaged lunch meats. I cook turkey breast and roast.. Trying to keep the carb count down with limited snack options is trying. Anyone have any suggestions?

martiangurll 04-28-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lory47 (Post 13422310)
You know it's really quite difficult to find foods I can eat. I cannot have cheese, or anything with vinegar in it. So all the sauces and condiments are strictly off limits. I cannot have mushrooms (which I love). Nothing processed like packaged lunch meats. I cook turkey breast and roast.. Trying to keep the carb count down with limited snack options is trying. Anyone have any suggestions?

I would do a modified 72 since you are not consuming cheese you have some wiggle room to include some low carb veggies.

Salads with meat and eggs
Celery stuffed with chicken salad (can u have mayo?) If not, can u sub soy mayonaise
Half an avocado stuffed with chicken salad or tuna salad
Tuna fish salad
Eggs with veggies (omlettes and crustless quiches)
Protein shakes

Bikerchick 04-28-2010 11:57 AM

No mayo, or soy products. My dressing consist of olive oil, Braggs (the only ACV I can have) and some lemon juice. I add this to my tuna fish with a bit of greek plain yogurt. Never tried celery stuffed with tuna, will have to give it a shot. As for the protein shakes I will have to look at the ingredients. I am also on a yeast free, hence teh restrictions. Started the yeast free back 27 Feb on teh encouragment of my doc, and lost 19 pounds in 2 weeks. So here I sit, stuck at this weight for quite some time. I knew that eating atkins helped me take off pounds and now I am back at it.

healthnut 04-28-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lory47 (Post 13422825)
No mayo, or soy products. My dressing consist of olive oil, Braggs (the only ACV I can have) and some lemon juice. I add this to my tuna fish with a bit of greek plain yogurt. Never tried celery stuffed with tuna, will have to give it a shot. As for the protein shakes I will have to look at the ingredients. I am also on a yeast free, hence teh restrictions. Started the yeast free back 27 Feb on teh encouragment of my doc, and lost 19 pounds in 2 weeks. So here I sit, stuck at this weight for quite some time. I knew that eating atkins helped me take off pounds and now I am back at it.

Lory - can you have eggs? If so, you could make your own mayo (basically oil, lemon juice, eggs, and salt). Just a thought! :hiya:

Bikerchick 04-28-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthnut (Post 13424124)
Lory - can you have eggs? If so, you could make your own mayo (basically oil, lemon juice, eggs, and salt). Just a thought! :hiya:

I never thought about making my own.. thanks

martiangurll 04-30-2010 04:23 PM

Why no vinegar?

verbqueen 04-30-2010 06:09 PM

Vinegar is a no-no if you have yeast overgrowth and are trying to reduce it. I'm guessing she's on an anti-candida plan.

lancer1977 05-01-2010 09:04 AM

I've been eatting pizza burgers. Basil + oregano + garlic and salt on a burger, covered with sauted mushrooms and pepperoni, then coated with mozzarella cheese. Yum yum! Wrap it in a big leaf of lettuce smothered with some mayo.

martiangurll 05-03-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lory47 (Post 13422825)

I just read the section on Yeast and what to avoid, and Atkins says you can have small amounts of cream cheese and mozzarella cheese.

I would try to make my own mustard sauce, just use the make your mayo recipe from above and add dry mustard powder. Also, I would try to sub eggplant for recipes that call for mushrooms (or zuccini) Also, you can substitute almond or hemp milk in your shakes or recipes...

Bikerchick 05-03-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martiangurll (Post 13440626)
I just read the section on Yeast and what to avoid, and Atkins says you can have small amounts of cream cheese and mozzarella cheese.

I would try to make my own mustard sauce, just use the make your mayo recipe from above and add dry mustard powder. Also, I would try to sub eggplant for recipes that call for mushrooms (or zuccini) Also, you can substitute almond or hemp milk in your shakes or recipes...

I cannot have any cheese as of yet, I will try to add it back later on down the line. Almond milk at the store has sucralose in it, so I am avoiding that. I have experiemented with the mayo mixture.. I like spicy. Eggplant is a nightshade plant, I need to avoid those for a while. I have planted a huge garden of peppers, tomatoes, squash and eggplant.. all my Fav's.

Right now I am going through the "die off" bad.. stayed home from work because I felt so bad today. I am hoping tomorrow is a better day.

martiangurll 05-04-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lory47 (Post 13441682)
I cannot have any cheese as of yet, I will try to add it back later on down the line. Almond milk at the store has sucralose in it, so I am avoiding that. I have experiemented with the mayo mixture.. I like spicy. Eggplant is a nightshade plant, I need to avoid those for a while. I have planted a huge garden of peppers, tomatoes, squash and eggplant.. all my Fav's.

Right now I am going through the "die off" bad.. stayed home from work because I felt so bad today. I am hoping tomorrow is a better day.

I found some low carb Almond "milk" at the health food store with no added sugar. I think squash will be my substitute for shrooms, the texture is similar. Also, I am trying to think of a way to make mustard with no vinegar. Maybe I can use the ACV and add ground mustard powder?:hugs: