Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: socalmeema
Ketosis but NO real weight loss

I'm doing Atkins 72. I've done it before and lost a lot of weight. However this time and the last time{last year} I lost nothing despite going into HEAVY ketosis. I've heard the opposite happening,weight loss with no ketosis but what about no weight loss with large amounts of ketosis? It's very discouraging and no one seems to have an answer. I'm diabetic and so this plan really keeps my blood sugars close to normal. Can somebody help me? Thanks much.God bless.
socalmeema is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
I wish I could help. The only thing I can think of is to take your carbs even lower. Maybe your CCLL has lowered since you did it before. (I know mine has.) You might also need to lower your calories.
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for your quick response,but as I see it,if I have to count calories anyway, what is the advantage of a low carb diet. None,as I see it.I think it all boils down to calories are ALL equal and to really lose weight, it's calories in versus calories out whether they be protein or carbs. Atkins in the 1972 edition claims that this program allows for a quick weight loss. Quick wasn't a prerequisite but loss was and is.When you see no results or very little results on the scale, then you really have to re-evaluate whether or not this program really works. Thanks again and have a great weekend. God Bless.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

For me, there are still NUMEROUS advantages to Atkins. First and foremost, I am never hungry once I am in ketosis. Second, I find the food so much more delicious and satisfying than low fat food (ick.) Third, when losing weight with Atkins, my body composition is different--I seem to retain more muscle while losing more fat. And finally, Atkins makes my digestive system so much more comfortable--no bloating or gas or IBS symptoms!

One thing to consider before giving up the plan--have you been measuring? You may well have been losing body fat without seeing a scale change yet due to water retention issues. It's worth looking into!

Good luck to you, whatever plan you follow.

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
Old 01-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DivineHealth
Stats: On my way to where I was - only better!
WOE: Atkins 72
Socalmema

I have been in ketosis since Dec 28... and I haven't really lost anything. Keep playing with the same pounds. It has been a bit discouraging. Not sure how old you are, or how many times you have low-carbed, but many of us have found out calories have to be lowered a bit the second, third, fourth time around (and as we age).

Though, Jessica is right.... it WILL come off and the benefits of Atkins 72 really are plentiful.
DivineHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmeema View Post
I'm doing Atkins 72. I've done it before and lost a lot of weight. However this time and the last time{last year} I lost nothing despite going into HEAVY ketosis. I've heard the opposite happening,weight loss with no ketosis but what about no weight loss with large amounts of ketosis? It's very discouraging and no one seems to have an answer. I'm diabetic and so this plan really keeps my blood sugars close to normal. Can somebody help me? Thanks much.God bless.

This was my experience prior to being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I am also diabetic, by the way. Now that I am properly medicated I not only met my weight loss goal, I surpassed it. Eating VLC (Level One of Atkins 1972) and proper medication gave me my life back and according to my doctor the best way for a diabetic to eat.

I would look into checking your thyroid. You will need to test your Free T3 and Free T4 not TSH which most doctors do. If your levels are on the low side of "normal" you need medication. This WOE works but if there is something else going on (i.e. hypothyroidism) you won't reap the benefits.

Good luck to you.
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for your reply.I've had a T4 uptake done numerous times and my thyroid is normal.I'm also diabetic so I see my doc regularly.As I see it, Atkins promised a quick weight loss on this plan.I'm having NO weight loss. So at the end of this week ,when all the added protein I purchased is finished, so am I with Atkins. I'll post if any thing changes this week, but I doubt it. Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Before you completely give up, socalmeema, read THIS:

Why the scales can lie.

After you read it, repeat to yourself, "water retention masks fat loss. Water retention masks fat loss." It does!
Old 01-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
Do you know your CCLL?

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.I've had a T4 uptake done numerous times and my thyroid is normal.I'm also diabetic so I see my doc regularly.As I see it, Atkins promised a quick weight loss on this plan.I'm having NO weight loss. So at the end of this week ,when all the added protein I purchased is finished, so am I with Atkins. I'll post if any thing changes this week, but I doubt it. Thanks again.

I am also diabetic so I feel your pain. In regards to my thyroid, I was misdiagnosed by 4 doctors. Finally the 5th doctor got it right. You need your doctor (if he gets it and he may not) to run a Free T3 and a Free T4. Your Free T3 must be in the 3/4 to the high end of the 'normal range' and T4 should be in the middle of the 'normal range'. So many doctors told me because I was in the normal range albeit, the low end of it that I was fine. I stalled on Atkins for a year and a half and had accepted that I was meant to be the size I was. I enjoyed this way of eating so much I couldn't imagine going back to Low Fat and starvation.

It wasn't until my thyroid symptoms became so extreme that I finally started listening to the countless women on this board who suffer from hypothyroidism and with their help found a good doctor. Once medicated with T3, also know as Cytomel, the scale moved again. I didn't change one thing about what I was eating. In fact, at that point, because of the chronic fatigue, I was unable to walk down the block with my kids let alone lift weights the way I use to.

I am happy to report that T3 and VLC allowed me to reach and surpass my weight goals and give me my energy and life back. I lift weights again feel amazing!

Don't wait till your symptoms manifest the way mine did. Ask you Dr. to run these tests and get copies of your results. If he isn't willing to do it find another doctor.

Atkins works but if your thyroid is tanked you'll just be spinning your wheels and even starvation won't work. Trust me I tried!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

HI everyone, So I didn't give up yet and I lost 2&1/2 lbs since yesterday. However, I'm still not sure as I fully expect a weight gain tomorrow. That's how it's been, a cycle of loss and gain with no REAL LOSS at all. But,I'm committed til Sunday and I'll let you guys know if I'm going to continue after this weekend. Thanks for all your support. Have a great day and God Bless you all.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
Do you know your CCLL?

LC is the easiest way to lose weight comfortably (i.e. not starving), IMHO. This isn't a quick fix diet, this is a WOL. You shouldn't do this if you aren't enjoying the foods and are expecting to go back to the way you were eating before. You will gain the weight back and then some. Just ask some of the folks that have done that on this board.

Most diets will allow someone to 1-2# a week. Induction allows most to lose more than that and then it slows to 1-3# per week. But the beauty is the weeks you don't lose weight you should be losing inches.

Are you taking your measurements? I have lost more inches than weight! I don't know about you but I'd much look good in my skinny jeans then let the scale dictate how I look.

But no one should have convince you. This is your journey. Either you do this or do whatever you decide to do, if anything.

Good luck to you and God bless you too.

Last edited by 2bflawless; 01-20-2010 at 09:15 PM..
Old 01-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Hi Lisa, thanks for your reply. Carefully read the 1972 edition of Atkins and you will see that it is called a quick weight loss diet. As I've said before, I'm not interested in quick weight loss per se, but I'm sick and tired of a 4oz loss today and a 5 oz gain tomorrow. This has NEVER happened before and if I have to start counting calories,then for me, there is no use in continuing. I chose this plan because you aren't supposed to have to count calories. This is more than frustrating and I'm counting the days til Sunday. I promised myself I would stick with it til then. Thanks again for your support and have a great weekend. God bless you........
Old 01-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
Do you know your CCLL?

Hey there, I know it's frustrating, If all is well with your health then the fastest, most comfortable way to lose weight is Atkins. But if, like me, you had an under medicated thyroid, you can do low fat, only eat 1200 cal (I tried less) and still not lose.

Can you post a menu? That way we can see what you are eating. Trust me if I had to count calories I would have never chose this plan. I refuse to count and I can eat a lot of food. But thankfully ketosis keeps my appetite reigned in. My carb limit is under 10grams, if I go over I do not lose well. I really believe this WOL works. But first let's take a look at what you're eating.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
lcq
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lcq
Stats: 5'5": 285.4-269.6 - 198
WOE: Atkins Low Carb / VLC
Start Date: Starting for the Gazillionth time!! - 4Mar10 285.4
lcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kristina
Stats: Pant size 22W Petite
Start Date: July 17, 2014
Quote:
Hi Lisa, thanks for your reply. Carefully read the 1972 edition of Atkins and you will see that it is called a quick weight loss diet. As I've said before, I'm not interested in quick weight loss per se, but I'm sick and tired of a 4oz loss today and a 5 oz gain tomorrow. This has NEVER happened before and if I have to start counting calories,then for me, there is no use in continuing. I chose this plan because you aren't supposed to have to count calories. This is more than frustrating and I'm counting the days til Sunday. I promised myself I would stick with it til then. Thanks again for your support and have a great weekend. God bless you........
I don't count calories. I eat ONLY till I'm not hungry any more, then quit. I am almost 60 years old, tried Atkins numerous times before, and have had trouble till this last go-round. I am dropping weight just fine this time. I think I was just simply eating too much. don't count calories, that's boring Hope you stick with it!
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kristina
Stats: Pant size 22W Petite
Start Date: July 17, 2014
Quote:
I have the book in front of me. I'm still looking to see where it says "quick weight loss"

It says don't take pills, cause you're never hungry, eat as much as you want, as often as you want, you eat luxuriously,

"MOST people lose 5-10 pounds the 1st week, then 2 - 5 pounds/week after that"
(Chapter 2..page 10)
Not quick weight loss, really. Most people slow down a bit after the first week.
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
lcq
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lcq
Stats: 5'5": 285.4-269.6 - 198
WOE: Atkins Low Carb / VLC
Start Date: Starting for the Gazillionth time!! - 4Mar10 285.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina View Post
I have the book in front of me. I'm still looking to see where it says "quick weight loss"

It says don't take pills, cause you're never hungry, eat as much as you want, as often as you want, you eat luxuriously,

"MOST people lose 5-10 pounds the 1st week, then 2 - 5 pounds/week after that"
(Chapter 2..page 10)

Not quick weight loss, really. Most people slow down a bit after the first week.

yup

Last edited by lcq; 01-22-2010 at 04:40 PM..
lcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Hi Kristina, thanks for your reply. Turn to page 133 in the Atkins 72 book .It clearly states that the diet "does provide rapid weight loss". I've read this book many times over the years and it clearly indicates this diet is for quick weight loss. But as I said in an earlier thread, quick isn't important but no loss or worse, an overnight gain for no apparent reason [I've been through menopause], is what is really upsetting. But,I did lose another 2 lbs since yesterday for a total of 8lbs since Jan 11th. I only hope this continues as I am being very judicious and have not cheated even once. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Til then, have a great weekend and God bless you.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
. But,I did lose another 2 lbs since yesterday for a total of 8lbs since Jan 11th.
8 pounds in 11 days? Post-menopausal? All I can say is:

Old 01-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Hi,Thanks so much for your encouragement. But, I was up 4oz today. That may not seem like a lot,but that's my problem with this diet. I'm up and down constantly and I haven't cheated once since staring Atkins 72 on Jan 11th. I'm post menopausal so there is no water weight gain.I can't understand this. This is why I'm considering stopping this program and going back to a low calorie plan.....calories in really do equal calories out,IMHO.
I just want to thank all of you who took the time out of your busy days to respond to me. It really meant a lot. Have a great week and God bless all of you.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:04 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi,Thanks so much for your encouragement. But, I was up 4oz today. That may not seem like a lot,but that's my problem with this diet. I'm up and down constantly and I haven't cheated once since staring Atkins 72 on Jan 11th. I'm post menopausal so there is no water weight gain.I can't understand this. This is why I'm considering stopping this program and going back to a low calorie plan.....calories in really do equal calories out,IMHO.
I just want to thank all of you who took the time out of your busy days to respond to me. It really meant a lot. Have a great week and God bless all of you.
I'm sorry you are feeling like you &/or the diet are not working..... to be honest your results are FANTASTIC for your stage of life. Even if you only lost 3-4 pounds in 11 days, it would have been great!

It is sad to think you would give up something that is obviously working so well for you - daily weight fluctuations aside.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Being menopausal does NOT mean that there are no water weight fluctuations!! EVERYONE, male and female, has frequent ups and downs in water retention throughout the day, every day! It has to do with sodium and potassium levels in your body, as well as your personal elimination habits and the weight of the actual food that is in your body at any given time!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Good morning ladies, Today was the last straw for me and low carb dieting.I weighed inat plus 2 lbs.I finished the 14 day Atkins 72 induction with what I thought was a 9lb loss is now only a 7lb loss. That's what I have trouble accepting. On low calories/diabetic exchange die, I Never fluctuate up as long as I follow my program. So I've decided to go back to my exchange program. I'm 7 lbs down for today anyway but we know that can change at a moment's notice. Thank you all for your support and kindness but low carb is not for me. God bless you all.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Good morning ladies, Today was the last straw for me and low carb dieting.I weighed inat plus 2 lbs.I finished the 14 day Atkins 72 induction with what I thought was a 9lb loss is now only a 7lb loss. That's what I have trouble accepting. On low calories/diabetic exchange die, I Never fluctuate up as long as I follow my program. So I've decided to go back to my exchange program. I'm 7 lbs down for today anyway but we know that can change at a moment's notice. Thank you all for your support and kindness but low carb is not for me. God bless you all.

Wow. All I can say is wow.... it's working perfectly for you. Very hard to understand why you would be discouraged and quit. Most would be thrilled at that weight loss in 11 days.

Sorry to see you leave.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

It's the constant fluctuation in my weight just about every day. It's ridiculous.Down 3lbs up 2 lbs.There's no sense to it especially when you're NOT cheating. Low calorie/diabetic exchange is the way to go for me. I applaud you people who are having steady weight loss. It's just not me.BTW, I went to my doctor today and his scale showed only a 5 lb loss for the 14 day Atkins 72 induction. This is the period I should have lost the most. 2.5 lbs for induction is not all that great.Again,thanks to all of you who helped and supported me with your posts. Good luck to all you "low carbers" And God bless everyone of you.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It's the constant fluctuation in my weight just about every day. It's ridiculous.Down 3lbs up 2 lbs.There's no sense to it especially when you're NOT cheating. Low calorie/diabetic exchange is the way to go for me. I applaud you people who are having steady weight loss. It's just not me.BTW, I went to my doctor today and his scale showed only a 5 lb loss for the 14 day Atkins 72 induction. This is the period I should have lost the most. 2.5 lbs for induction is not all that great.Again,thanks to all of you who helped and supported me with your posts. Good luck to all you "low carbers" And God bless everyone of you.

I think if you read all of us "time of life" ladies, you will see that we ALL are doing the up 2, down 3, up 1, down 2 ordeal. But, we ARE going down... just as you are.

I hope low cal works for you... I don't think you will have the great success you have had on low-carb.... you'll be hungry all the time (and you won't be able to eat as luxuriously:blush

I still say 7-8# in 11 days is terrific!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kristin83
do you know how I can get my body to "stay" in ketosis. I also posted something else and It says I have 49 replies! How the heck do I check them ???? thanks guys
kristin83 is offline   Reply With Quote