Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NutritionIsMyJob
Atkins & Alli?

Hey Everybody! I was just wondering if anyone here is using the new, over the counter diet aide, Alli along with their Atkins 72 plan? I would be interested in hearing what everyone has to say about that.
NutritionIsMyJob is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
The alli is a fat binder and if you eat over a very small amount of fat, you will likely have all the "dire" side effects on the bottle.
Since Atkins relies on fats and protein to satiate you, I'd be willing to bet you would have to build a bathroom in every room and get Depends by the truckload!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Ewwwwwwwwwwww! That sounds like a real "Party in Your Pants"!! Sooooooo, you are thinking that since Atkins is naturally high in fat and protein, then the Alli might have the same effect as a strong laxative?? Makes my hindparts sore to think about it!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I would still be interesting to know if anyone has tried the combination of both Alli and Atkins and what their results were. I have to admit that I'm a little scared of trying it, but the temptation of removing some of the fat from the food that I'm eating is quite enticing. Anyone????
Old 10-03-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: aunatural
Stats: 150/don't want to know/125
WOE: Breastfeeding-1800 cals 30% from carbs
Start Date: 02/06/06
How about you try it out and let us know?
aunatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: marymc
From what I've read about Alli you have to be eating a very low fat diet - period. I would think that those pills would be totally incompatible with Atkins since fat is a very important component of this WOE. Fat is what keeps you full and keeps you from being hungry. Personally, with a risk of stomach upset, cramps and umm, anal leakage resulting from consumption of fat with Alli, there is no way I would even try it with Atkins!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutritionIsMyJob View Post
Hey Everybody! I was just wondering if anyone here is using the new, over the counter diet aide, Alli along with their Atkins 72 plan? I would be interested in hearing what everyone has to say about that.
marymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:49 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunatural View Post
How about you try it out and let us know?
Actually, I have. Today is my 2nd day using Alli and following Atkins '72. So far, I have had no issues. Maybe because I take 4 fiber caps a day and it's keeping me from getting that diarrhea that everyone is talking about. Yesterday I ate one egg, 14 thin strips of bacon, and a large thin cut ribeye. I also had lots of water, my ususal vitamin supplements and Fresca. Everything good so far! I'll let y'all know if things go haywire!!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gramabear45
Stats: 230/230/150
WOE: atkins/mod carbs
Start Date: May /05
Hi,
I tried it and was really watching all my fats.Didn't have a problem.Just did'nt loose. I gained I was soooo disappointed.
I wasn't doing LC with it.
I even bought disposables undies in case there were some problems.
gramabear45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Today is my third day on A72 and also using Alli. I don't have any problems at all, EXCEPT for one thing and I'm not sure that I really consider it much of a problem. The only time "odd" things occur is about 15 minutes after I wake up in the morning I have to zip into the bathroom and it's certainly diarrhea. TMI---I know, but how else do you say it???? Then, nothing else all day or night.

I'm actually up about 2 pounds, but I'm in lovely PMS, so I'm actually HAPPY about the 2 pounds of water weight---it's usually 7 to 10 pounds worth!!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Quote:
Actually, I have. Today is my 2nd day using Alli and following Atkins '72. So far, I have had no issues. Maybe because I take 4 fiber caps a day and it's keeping me from getting that diarrhea that everyone is talking about. Yesterday I ate one egg, 14 thin strips of bacon, and a large thin cut ribeye. I also had lots of water, my ususal vitamin supplements and Fresca. Everything good so far! I'll let y'all know if things go haywire!!
Atkins 72 is not all protein - eat those veggies!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Nutrition......... best of luck on the Alli
gramabear45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Yep, I know that I also need my veggies, but Leve One is already sooooooooo low that I felt that I would forgo them for the first week. I ate enough spinach last week on Atkins nutritionals to sink a war ship!!!! LOL!!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenleigh
Stats: 253/251/150
Start Date: January 2008
I bought the starter kit, and in one of the little books it comes with, it states this is not a good pill to take with a low carb diet. I reluctantly did a low fat diet...lost 1 pound in 2 weeks. I dropped the pills....did low carb...and in two weeks lost 9 pounds
Jenleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peony
Stats: Down 26
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2007
Quote:

You say nutrition is your job? How would anyone with a nutrition background ever think that 1 egg, 14 thin strips of bacon and a large thin cut ribeye would be sound nutrition for an entire day? Vitamins are to be supplements--you should never depend on them as your sole source of those nutrients and to take lots of fiber to counteract a laxative is really off the wall! I think you have a problem and your lack of nutrition will catch up with you sooner or later. Let's hope you figure this out before it's too late.

Last edited by Peony; 10-07-2007 at 02:39 PM..
Peony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah, Jen! That's why I love this way of eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenleigh View Post
I bought the starter kit, and in one of the little books it comes with, it states this is not a good pill to take with a low carb diet. I reluctantly did a low fat diet...lost 1 pound in 2 weeks. I dropped the pills....did low carb...and in two weeks lost 9 pounds
Old 10-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I am so shocked to see someone saying hurtful things like this lady said.
It is not her place to make such comments.
This is not the first time I have seen and heard people put down people here and I just had to day something!!
You say nutrition is your job? How would anyone with a nutrition background ever think that 1 egg, 14 thin strips of bacon and a large thin cut ribeye would be sound nutrition for an entire day? Vitamins are to be supplements--you should never depend on them as your sole source of those nutrients and to take lots of fiber to counteract a laxative is really off the wall! I think you have a problem and your lack of nutrition will catch up with you sooner or later. Let's hope you figure this out before it's too late.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:45 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peony
Stats: Down 26
Start Date: March 2007
Roma, I did not say those things to be hurtful. We've all seen what a vlcd can do to people and they cause problems that will be with them the rest of their lives. Just look at what Kimmer did to people--ruined their metabolisim, killed their thyroids, caused major heart problems, caused hair to fall out and led to eating disorders, etc. People are in such a hurry to lose a few pounds that they are putting their health in jeapordy. To sit by and watch someone do this to themselves is far more hurtful to that person than to speak up and help them see the truth.

For us to sit by and ooh and ahh over pounds lost when we know that they are destroying their bodies is just a shame. Our country has gotten to where we are so politically correct that we feel we shouldn't say anything that may be taken as hurtful. You see this with our youth. When all we do is praise people but never tell them the truth, we are not helping them grow into responsible human beings.

For someone to eat only 1 egg, 14 strips of bacon and a ribeye steak in one day is not sound nutrition. Perhaps this isn't a typical day, but if not, why would you post it and let us assume this is your normal diet? And to take 4 fiber capsules a day to make up for bulk that shoud be gotten from vegetables that have vital nutrients is just rediculous for someone who says that nutrition is their job!

Do you want to tip toe around issues only to find that later you may have contributed to someone's major health problems?

We need to get real here. There is a difference between being politically correct and not wanting to hurt someone's feelings and trying to let someone see the potential damage they can do to their bodies that will affect the rest of their lives.

Last edited by Peony; 10-08-2007 at 06:47 AM..
Peony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: harleymamma
WOE: Atkins/moderate carbs
Start Date: 1-7-07/9-1-07 restart
Actually "Nut" your menu of 1 egg, 14 strips of bacon and a ribeye sounds pretty much like my daily diet...lol If you are doing A72 you are at 0 carbs for induction ....I think it all depends on each persons carb tollerance...for example I can't overdo it on carbs AT ALL or I stall way out...everyone is different ya'll.
harleymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:22 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: slh72454
Stats: 310/225/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart August 20th 2012
I'm somewhat ashamed to admit it, but I used Alli with the first month of my diet and I honestly can't say that I saw that huge of a difference, I mean I've lost just as much without them as I did with them, plus the bathroom situation is so much better without them.

Not to be gross, but it was horrible, I was racing to the bathroom all the time and even had an accident in my pants at work. I thought I had to let some gas and I was alone in a room so I thought what the heck and yeah it wasn't gas....
Journey To ONEderland - My Journal
slh72454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my gosh Seth!! THAT would be my greatest fear ... don't need that. Congrats on your incredible weight loss. You're doing fantastic. I can't wait to hit ONEderland myself but it seems to be taking forever arrgggh...
Old 10-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenjenjen
Stats: 217/217/135
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Restart July 8, 2013
Now I tried Alli and did not get any (bathroom issues) of that happen to me. Isn't that odd how we all react so differently. I cannot take Nyquil because I stay awake all night and my heart races....most people zonk right out!
jenjenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Isn't that the truth. My stomach is so sensitive that it probably wouldn't take much fat for me to have issues with Alli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjenjen View Post
Now I tried Alli and did not get any (bathroom issues) of that happen to me. Isn't that odd how we all react so differently. I cannot take Nyquil because I stay awake all night and my heart races....most people zonk right out!
Old 10-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: slh72454
Stats: 310/225/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart August 20th 2012
Well honestly for the most part I did just fine on it, but that one day was horrible. I had to try and sneak past my co-workers, just telling them that I needed to run home real quick.

Needless to say, they found out and I'm forever known as the guy who crapped himself.
slh72454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seejay
Low carb Dr. Michael Eades wrote a post on Alli. His practice was in the trials for that drug, and you can read all about what his low carb patients found out.

I have to agree with sounding a warning about nutrition with combining Alli and Atkins. Alli is meant to help low fat diets, which always assume you're eating tons of carbs so you can get enough nutrients from those sources. If you don't eat carbs, and you don't eat fat, you screw the pooch basically.

Dr. Eades' article is here:

Low-carb over-the-counter-weight-loss-drug alert. | Health & Nutrition by Michael R. Eades, M.D.
seejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JessicaH
Stats: 5'8"
WOE: Atkins/REAL Food
Quote:
I spoke to my doctor about using Alli and she said absolutely not to use it with a low carb lifestyle. She is aware of my eating and stands behind low carb/real food lifestyle all the way. What she told me was that Alli is basically like Olestra... remember Olestra... everyone thought it was wonderful because it would make fat 'slide' out of your intestines and out your behind rather than being absorbed. She stated that Alli would act the same way for anyone with a the low carb lifestyle. It may not occur right away, but it will happen. Diarhea, anal leakage, the whole nine yards.

If you are doing low carb, you don't have to be afraid of the fat. In Dr. Atkins' original books, studies, and 30 plus years of people living the lifestyle, he proved that the low carb lifestyle (including your suplements, real veggies, berries, etc.) lowered cholesterol, blood pressure, and heart disease. When I did Atkins in 2002-03, my cholesterol went from 209 down to 162! My blood pressure went from 170/89 to 118/60.

Alli is just another 'low fat' diet fad that is meant to be used only with low fat diets. If you are doing Atkins or any low carb lifestyle, then you are not doing low fat, fake food, no nutrient diets.

I wish you all the best, but I highly recommend staying with one plan or the other. Best wishes and good health.
JessicaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:56 AM   #26
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: baindegael
Stats: Highest 323-5'9" 230/182/150 BMI 27.08 Goal BMI 22
WOE: LC/LF, ditching processed crap
Start Date: 10/29/2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Atkins 72 is not all protein - eat those veggies!
I was going to say the same. 72 says 2 cups salad a day, I try to always get that, or at least 1 c salad, 1 cup cabbage, etc.
baindegael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:27 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gingerbean
Stats: 201.5/194/185
WOE: PSMF with refeeds
Start Date: 9/18/2007
I'm currently not on Atkins 72 but just wanted to put my two cents in-- while I was on traditional Atkins I used Alli and didn't have any bathroom issues at all. I ate the usual allowance of fats, meats, cheeses and dressings without any huge ups in fiber and never saw the kind of leakage of problems that people talk about. Once you get about one day in you know what to expect and while there may be some urgency I never was tremendously careless when it came to eating a very high fat meal in a public place until I knew what my body's tolerance is.

Personally and in my experience, I feel calories/fat watching can be helpful while on Atkins (>runs and ducks<) so if Alli is a tool that someone can use to succeed even if it's just helpful mentally I don't think there's too much of a problem unless you use it to justify overdoing it on those fats.
gingerbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: autotheism
Start Date: January 1997
It is just a thought, but the use of Alli would seem to be counter productive on the Atkins diet. The theory behind the weight loss, as I understand it, is similar to losing water weight. When you are dehydrated and retaining water you need to drink water to lose the water weight. The same thing applies to Atkins. If you eat fat, your body knows that it is getting enough fat and starts to release the stored fat in the body. It is carbohydrates that signals the release of excess insulin that makes our bodies hold onto fat.

People seem to think that they need to worry about how much fat they are eating on the Atkins diet. I have been on Atkins for 10 years and i can tell you that you don't have to worry about fat. There have been many days where all I ate was bacon, eggs and steak. I just had a physical this week. My blood pressure is 110/60, my good cholesterol is through the roof and my bad cholesterol is in normal range. My thyroid is healthy as well. I am a living testament that red meat, dairy and salt are not necessarily bad for you!

Honestly, I would worry less about fat. In fact, I feel better and lost more weight when i was eating good fats like coconut oil and taking Essential Oil supplements, as well as eating one ounce (not more) of almonds a day. Fat is good. It seems counter-intuitive but it is true.

Good luck everyone. I hope the diet continues to work for you as it has for me.
autotheism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JessicaH
Stats: 5'8"
WOE: Atkins/REAL Food
I couldn't agree with you more. People have been so 'programed' to believe that fat is bad for them, that it is difficult for them to truly believe that eating the fat is what will actually make them succeed at weight loss. Congratulations on your loss and you are an inspiration to us all.
JessicaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gingerbean
Stats: 201.5/194/185
WOE: PSMF with refeeds
Start Date: 9/18/2007
I think it HELPS certainly. Just from my personal experience when on Atkins if I ate too much fat in the form of beef or cheese I would stall out for several days even if my carbs were close to zero. Fat isn't bad but I think overloading the 1800 calories a day you can stall yourself.

Anyway, I just wanted to add for anyone thinking about Alli--you do have to handle yourself differently whether or not it's urgent or not. Your body is expelling pure fat so imagine something like Canola Oil coming out with your poo and you know you would react and hold yourself differently. I think people have problems when they don't know what to expect or don't learn about what their body is doing. If you KNOW you'll be much better off.
gingerbean is offline   Reply With Quote