Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2006, 04:11 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
1972 Atkin's plan by the book

[COLOR=DarkRed]He allowed fiber to be deducted later on because "HE" found through his own research is was ok to do so without hurting your weight loss.[/COLOR]

NOTE* This is from the book, Bantam edition / September 1972 paperback...

Not sixty grams of carbohydrate on this diet but zero grams
Here’s how this diet is significantly different. During the first week on this diet, you cut your intake of carbohydrates down to what is biologically zero.
This creates a unique chemical situation in the body, the one favorable to the fastest possible burning of your body’s stored fat. Ketones are excreted, and hunger disappears.
You see, the first fuel your body burns for energy comes from the carbohydrates you eat and drink. If any carbohydrate is available, your body burns this rather than stored fat-and maintains its old metabolic pathways. But carbohydrates, as such, are not stored in the body beyond forty-eight hours.
So when no carbohydrate is taken in, your body must draw upon the major reserve source of fuel-the stored fat.
It is forced to take a different metabolic pathway. In this process your body converts from being a carbohydrate-burning engine.
This is The Diet Revolution: the new chemical situation in which ketones are being thrown off-and so are those unwanted pounds, all without hunger.
A gradual addition of carbohydrate to keep your body burning it’s fat as fuel. We must maintain this chemical situation if you’re to continue to lose without hunger. And if we add carbohydrate very gradually in tiny amounts-we can do just this… keep your body converted into a fat-burning engine.
So that is just what we do. The second week you might add a few grams of carbohydrate to your diet. Every week thereafter a little more carbohydrate (around five grams) may be returned to the diet.

The Rules of Original Atkins

The Diet Revolution Rules (Level One)
1. Don’t count calories [COLOR=DarkRed](so why are so many counting them?) [/COLOR]
2. Eat as much of the allowed foods as you need to avoid hunger.[COLOR=DarkRed](see, no limit)[/COLOR]
3. Don’t eat when you are not hungry.
4. Don’t feel you must finish everything on your plate just because it is there.
5. Drink as much water or calorie free beverages as thirst requires. Don’t restrict fluids… but it is not necessary to force them either.[COLOR=DarkRed](It doesn't say anything about 1/2 your body weight in water)[/COLOR]
6. Frequent small meals are preferable.
7. If weakness results from rapid weight loss, you may need salt.
8. Everyday take a high-strength multivitamin pill.
9. Read the labels on “low-calorie” drinks, syrups, desserts,. Only those with no carbohydrate content are allowed.

The First Life-Changing Week, eat nothing that is not on the list.
Meat: Steaks, Corned beef, Lamb chops, tongue, Hamburgers, Bacon, Any kind of meat in any quantity—except meat with fillers such as sausage, hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged “cold cuts”
Fowl: Duckling, Turkey, Chicken, Anything with wings, No stuffing
Desserts: Gelatin with artificial sweeteners (e.g., D-Zerta )
Condiments: Salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, vanilla, and other extracts; artificial sweeteners; any dry powdered spice that [I]contains no sugar
Drinks: Water, Mineral water, Vichy, Club soda; Beef or Chicken broth, bouillon; Sugar free diet soda; coffee*, tea, decaffeinated coffee
---------*Special note on caffeine and Diet Cola. Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee, which contains caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three.
Fish: All fish, including canned salmon, tuna; any kind of seafood, including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, clams, muscles, scallops, and pickled fish
Eggs: Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, omelet – any style and without limitations[COLOR=DarkRed](another NO LIMIT)[/COLOR]
Salads: Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus… green olives.
Butter & Mayonnaise Fats: Butter, margarine (head New Diet Revolution & eat no margarine with trans fatty acids), oils, shortening (not such a great idea), lard & mayonnaise (fats have no carbohydrates).
Juice: Juice of one lemon or lime
Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.
Heavy Cream: Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk – so don’t use milk)
Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage, Chives, Cucumber, Endive, Escarole, Fennel, lettuce, Olives (Green or Black), Onions, Pickles (Sour or Dill), Parsley, Peppers, Radishes, Scallions, watercress.
What Happens After The First Week’s Diet. Most diets are fixed formulas and are therefore short-termed and self-limiting. This diet is fixed only for a week. After that – because it must be a lifetime diet, it is, as variable as are individual tastes.
I’ve labeled the additions of carbohydrate that follow’ second level’, ‘third level’, ‘fourth level’, ‘fifth level’, but in fact the additions are interchangeable and flexible. You can make any of these additions any week that you choose. I am so committed to making this a livable lifetime diet that I am letting you select your own variations, within the rules set up by your biological rulebook.
Put back what you’ve missed the most: The idea is simply to gradually return to your diet first what you missed most. Custom-tailor the diet to suit your carbohydrate additions to suit your lifestyle. All that matters is that you add back to your diet a little carbohydrate at a time, and that you stop adding carbohydrate when you reach your CCL.
How to know when to put back a little carbohydrate: Ask yourself: Are the keto-stix still turning purple? Am I still un-hungry? Have I stopped eating at night? Do I have more energy? Am I still losing weight or inches nicely? Remember, your tape measure is a lot better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat (not just temporary water) losses this diet achieves.
The Second Level: Cheesecake for dessert? At each level, remember you add approximately five to eight grams of carbohydrate daily for a week and analyze the results. Most people agree the best way to handle the second level is to add cottage cheese…
The Diet Revolution Vegetables (not for level one): All of the above plus; Asparagus, Avocado, Bamboo Shoots, Bean Sprouts, Beet Greens, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chard, Chinese Cabbage, eggplant, Kale, Kohlrabi, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions, Peppers, Pumpkins, Rhubarb, Sauerkraut, Snow Pea Pods, Spinach, String Beans, Summer Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, Water Chestnuts, Wax Beans, Zucchini Squash

Sample menu, level one:
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with spicy ham, Diet revolution roll and butter, Bouillon, coffee, or tea
Lunch: Cold cuts sandwich on Diet revolution Roll w/ mayo or mustard, 1 cup of salad (loosely packed), oil & vinegar, or a dressing from the recipe list, Raspberry gelatin, Diet soda, coffee, or tea
Dinner: Chicken soup with Matzoh Balls, Your favorite cut of steak, Caesar salad with Caesar Salad dressing, Gelatin, diet soda, coffee or tea
Snack: baken-ets, stuffed celery, diet soda.

Sample menu, level two:
Breakfast: Lox and stuffed onion omelet, caraway Diet revolution Roll with cream cheese, Bouillon, coffee, or tea
Lunch: Avocado stuffed with crabmeat, Tossed green salad with dressing from recipe list, diet soda, coffee, or tea
Dinner: Mixed grill with garlic Butter Sauce or Béarnaise Sauce, Tossed salad with French Dressing, Gelatin Parfait with whipped cream, diet soda, coffee, or tea
Snack: Assorted smoked fish, Hard cheese, Diet soda

Ok, there it is 'By The Book'
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dlslds
WOE: low-mod carb/ alternating calories
TY TaterHead for posting this....and wow its got its own lil nitch now

what JUMPS out to me as the Big difference is this:
The Rules of Original Atkins

The Diet Revolution Rules (Level One)
1. Don’t count calories (so why are so many counting them?)
[COLOR=Red]2. Eat as much of the allowed foods as you need to avoid hunger.
3. Don’t eat when you are not hungry.
4. Don’t feel you must finish everything on your plate just because it is there.[/COLOR]
5. Drink as much water or calorie free beverages as thirst requires. Don’t restrict fluids… but it is not necessary to force them either.(It doesn't say anything about 1/2 your body weight in water)
6. Frequent small meals are preferable.
7. If weakness results from rapid weight loss, you may need salt.
8. Everyday take a high-strength multivitamin pill.
9. Read the labels on “low-calorie” drinks, syrups, desserts,. Only those with no carbohydrate content are allowed.

so ty very much again for posting this

~You Are Loved. All Is Well~
dlslds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Lady
WOE: Atkin's Ongoing Weight Loss
Start Date: 7/28/2013
Thanks for this! Very interesting and helpful.
Texas Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I love it...If more people (including myself sometimes) would follow rules 2-4, then we would be dropping weight like crazy...LOL
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Worldchanger
Stats: 262/199/168
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/2006
Thanks for posting this
Worldchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 2teach
Stats: 208/208/135
Start Date: May 31, 2011
Very interesting! Thanks a bunch!
2teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: luvdanrs
Stats: 243/221.5/150
Start Date: December 2006
what is a diet revolution roll?
luvdanrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Tashi
Stats: 224.2/193.6/125 5' 52 yrs. old and hypothyroid
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: 4/17/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdanrs
I ran across this on a thread a couple months ago. Here you go:
------------------------------------------------------------------
ATKINS REVOLUTION ROLLS

3 eggs
1 pkg. Splenda (I use 2 tsp. of twin sugar)
dash of salt
3 T. cream cheese
pinch of cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 300. Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Whisk this mixture together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff. Using a spatula, gradually fold the yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each just a little. Bake about 35 minutes.
Makes 6 @ .7 carbs, o fiber, 58 Calories, 4 fat, 3 protein

I do not flatten them at all. I read you can use them for hamburger rolls, and also if you toast them (careful, they burn easily), spread them with butter mixed with a little splenda.
Put the eggs in a bowl and run warm or hot water on and let set so that egg whites and yokes warm up a bit. Egg whites beat up better when at room temp. and also warm up the cream cheese as both the yokes and cream cheese will mix much better when warm or room temp. It`s just about impossible to mix the two cold things together otherwise.
You can use parchment paper and they will lift right off. No need to greese.
Or you can use a grocery bag cut to fit cookie sheet and use a spachula to take them off. No need to greese.
Cream of tartar is a natural fruit acid in the form of fine white powder made from pressed grapes. It is a leavener. When beating egg whites it makes them firmer and they tolerate oven heat better. When using cr. of tarter beat the whites a little longer. Cr. of tarter is found in the spice and herb section of your grocery store."
Tashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ixtapacheryl
Stats: 183/173/130 - 5'7.5"
WOE: '72 Atkins
Start Date: 8/4/2012
This is the zero carb diet I was given by my doctor back in 1968 - before Dr. Atkins wrote the book....and I went from 160 to 122# in about 6 weeks.
It really works - but maybe because I was in my early 20's:
ON THIS DIET YOU MUST TAKE A MULTIPLE VITAMIN AND MINERAL CAPSULE

FOODS

Meat (except liver and liver sausage)
Fish (except wine sauce herring)
Seafood (except oysters)
Poultry (nothing to be breaded or floured,
No BBQ sauce or catsup)
Eggs (fixed any way)
Natural Cheese (with wax around)
(No cottage cheese, processed or yogurt)
Butter, Oleo
Fat
Salt/Pepper and other seasonings
Artificial Sweetners
Mustard & Horseradish
Mayonnaise *
Sour Cream Dressing *
Low Calorie Dressing * w/no sugar
Mushrooms (1T)
Beef or Chicken boullion broth
(No other soups)

*These items contain 2 cal. Of sugar per Tablespoon – DO NOT use excessively
** If desired as often as listed

Fried Pork Rinds (can be used as breading)
Sugar Free Gum (NO sugar free candy or other dietetic foods)
Cool Whip topping *
D-Zerta Jello and D-Zerta topping
Plain Knox Gelatin and sugar free kool-aid (mix together to make jello)
1C of lettuce (twice a day) **
NO OTHER VEGETABLES
NO FRUIT

BEVERAGES

Water (1/2 your weight in oz.)
Sugar Free Soda
Sugar Free Kool-Aid
Black Coffee and tea
Hard Liquor: (NO wine except dry vermouth, NO apricot brandy, drambouye, Southern Comfort, Liquorers)
NO regular beer
Lite Beer OK – Micholob Lite or Miller Lite

"You will never find out what you can do until you do all you can to find
out!" - John Maxwell
ixtapacheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks Tashi..... and you can eat these on his week one right from what I read in that one post about Atkins 72. Will go on the hunt for the book...
Hey ...you know you are missed in Summer Blossom's right? But I understand you have found your calling WTG
Old 07-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #11
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtapacheryl
This is the zero carb diet I was given by my doctor back in 1968 - before Dr. Atkins wrote the book....and I went from 160 to 122# in about 6 weeks.
It really works - but maybe because I was in my early 20's:
what's a mineral capsule? and i'm in my mid 20's, maybe i'll give it a shot!
KQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:25 AM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Krissy- its minerals in a capsule lubs ya
Wonder if its pertinent to take vitamins? I have been doing LC for a while and have never taken any... I dont do pills....
Old 07-12-2006, 07:23 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

OMG - you definitely need a GOOD multi-vitamin and mineral capsule. Because of the lack of vitamins and veggies - it's imperative.

The above diet is similar to Kimmer's strict diet and believe me - it works.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:24 PM   #14
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
but what mineral do i need to take? am i confused?

i take a women's multi-vitamin with extra iron, calcium, and umm... something else. in addition i take vitamin E, besides the prescriptions (birth control and migraine prevention). what else do i need to take?
KQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KALIICET
Stats: 223/208/135
I would love to try this and stick to it if I could but I have been trying to get back on for months now. I will keep trying so that I can accomplish my goals
KALIICET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy7602
but what mineral do i need to take? am i confused?

i take a women's multi-vitamin with extra iron, calcium, and umm... something else. in addition i take vitamin E, besides the prescriptions (birth control and migraine prevention). what else do i need to take?
When you buy a multi-vitamin check the front of the bottle and it should say included is minerals..... No need to take an additional pill....
Old 07-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
LOL...I'd drink light beer all day on that plan. Give me an inch and I take a mile.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:57 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 270/ RS 255/237.5/155
WOE: Low carb, stay in ketosis, under 30ish
Start Date: Restart 2/20/13
Quote:
Did you mean diet revolution "rule"...I didnt read anything above that about the rolls. Imight have missed something...lol, i do that!

On that note, regarding the rolls...It says no cream cheese...so how do you make the rolls? When can we add cream cheese back?

I was having trouble finding this book, so i'm making a print out of this
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:57 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
The rolls are included in the induction phase - must just be something that 'bends' the rules - but doesn't hurt in the long run.
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:52 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Boogz
WOE: Low - Carbs !!!!!
Start Date: EVERY MORNING !!!!
wow, I'm trying this...I've been on induction to many times & weeks to count...some weight comes off & then I just START to think that maybe I can have something else & BAM, a stall & usaually, a small weight gain....SO, I have to start all over. Getting realllll discouraged with myself !!!!!
Boogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 270/ RS 255/237.5/155
WOE: Low carb, stay in ketosis, under 30ish
Start Date: Restart 2/20/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8
The rolls are included in the induction phase - must just be something that 'bends' the rules - but doesn't hurt in the long run.
ahaaa i just realized that the original one calls for cottage cheese, not cream cheese. Atkins said absolutely no cream cheese during induction, but cottage cheese was ok i guess lol.

Really i made 4 batches of this stuff and with 16 rolls i'm only looking at about 20 carbs total. Devide those by 5-6 days then its no more then 3-4 carbs per day. No problemo!!

omgosh they hold up so well with burgers. This is the FIRST time i've ever had a burger the old fashion way on atkins. It was DA BOMB!
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LadyLaTina72
Stats: 268/208.4/165
WOE: A little bit of every Low Carb Eating.. Tweaking
Start Date: ReStarted 1/17/07 @ 268
Diet Revolution Rolls Carb Count ????

Does anyone know the Carb count on these? I heard you can make like 6, but how many for each or for all 6
LadyLaTina72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:15 AM   #23
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: gotogirl
Stats: 148/116/120 5'3"
WOE: Atkins for Life Maintenance
Start Date: August, 2005
I think it's less than one...about .7.
gotogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vernswifevickie
Stats: 226/185/150
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: April 2010
I love those rolls! That's the first thing I'm going to add back in when I'm done with this M/E fast!

This is day 3 of the M/E fast for me. I'm feeling good. Lots of energy and much more in control of my appetite. I haven't reached the "don't want to eat, no appetite" thing yet but my appetite is much less than before the fast. Funny thing I've noticed, my ketostix were turning darker before I started the fast so I'm thinking that it was showing all the fat I was eating being burned...not my body fat. So even though it's not as dark I think it's more of a "real" ketosis. So far I've lost a pound which is good considering I wasn't losing ANYTHING before the fast...plus, things aren't really moving in the elimination department so I think I'll see a woosh when that gets going again. I'm taking a fiber supplement but I think even with that there's just not alot to move things through....ok...way too much info...sorry

My Blog, Vickie's Voice

My Journal
vernswifevickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: foxymommabbbw
Wow, I had read the "72" book many moons ago and followed it and did well. When i wanted to go back on it all i could find was the New Revolution.... and that wasn't working as well for me. So, i've been trying to go by what i could remember and if i was in doubt then i wouldn't touch it. Now after reading Tater Heads notes I feel like i have more options now. So thank you so much for this.

I've only lost 20 lbs so far but then i had found out that some of the medications i was on was causing me not to lose weight so i've gotten off of one but i have to stay on the HRT and just be happy with slow weightloss rather than none at all.
foxymommabbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heywoodwalker
Stats: 284.4/276/155
WOE: Atlins WOE
Start Date: Restart 11/30/2011
Wow, I had even gone on ebay to find the '72 Atkins book, no luck though. I prefer the '72 version. That way I can eat when I feel hungry, and also drink when thirsty rather than pouring the clear stuff down. I get into real Ketosis, but weight loss is slow. Perhaps it is an age thing huh? Possibly meds too. I will increase my activity and become more energenic. Thanks to all for the posts, and thanks for the Atkins roll recipie. I'll try to make some this weekend.
heywoodwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: mybigbutt
Stats: 224.6/215.8/120
WOE: hcg
Start Date: 8/22/11
Quote:
.. I dont do pills....
Me either . Then I found Centrum chewables. Try those!
mybigbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:17 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: emijan
Stats: 195/getting there/140
WOE: Intuitive Eating= the way God planned it
Bumping to ask a question.

What is the biggest difference between the '72 and the new one? I think that I am kinda doing the '72 without knowing. TIA
emijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: emijan
Stats: 195/getting there/140
WOE: Intuitive Eating= the way God planned it
Bump again.
emijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heywoodwalker
Stats: 284.4/276/155