Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #1861
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Jan: No, there's nothing in s/f jello but water and flavour. I just mentioned it as it's my "snack" if you will.
If you're really interested in doing Atkins '72 Induction 100% then why don't you join us in the new thread: "Hard Core" Atkins '72. We are a group that is very committed to our woe and we'd love to have you there if this is something you'd also be interested in.
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #1862
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Oh I get it now. I thought you meant you limited it because of salt/sodium and ya never know what they put in food anymore! I've bought a few things I thought were on plan but found out they had carbs or additives I don't want to be consuming. One of them was a brand of almond milk I bought. It had 6 g per cup!

I will go check out your HARD CORE thread. Like I said I need all the advice and support I can get. I'm gonna get under 200 (and then set a new goal)
come hell or high water!

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #1863
Major LCF Poster!

. We won't even smell anything with carbs in it but again, that's why most, if not all of us, are consistently losing weight and beating this!! It just depends what your preference is. Some people go 0 carb whereas others are more comfortable with higher carbs.
My favourite is the Silk Unsweetened Coconut. I've tried the Almond and the Almond/Coconut Blend but my preference is the Coconut. Very mild taste compared to the Almond.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #1864
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
I've bought a few things I thought were on plan but found out they had carbs or additives I don't want to be consuming. One of them was a brand of almond milk I bought. It had 6 g per cup!
"Silk" brand makes delicious Almond milk as well as Almond/Coconut Blend and unsweetened Coconut as well. It has <1 carb per cup and loaded with vitamins and minerals and under 40 calories as well, I think.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #1865
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/183/125
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: RESTART 7-8-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
"Silk" brand makes delicious Almond milk as well as Almond/Coconut Blend and unsweetened Coconut as well. It has <1 carb per cup and loaded with vitamins and minerals and under 40 calories as well, I think.
Bonnie, would this be ok for Hard core 72, cause it was not around when Dr. Atkins started the plan I just want to do this right
ASHLEY2HAWAII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #1866
Major LCF Poster!

Ashley, I'd bet good money Dr. A would have given it his full blessings.
I swear it is the most healthfulmilk / cream substitue of our time. Many people in Hard Core Atkins '72 use it. Of all the 3 blends Silk makes, I find the unsweetened Coconut the LEAST flavourful so that's the one I use.
I would wholeheartedly say enjoy your Silk!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #1867
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: honey23
Stats: 287
I love this thread thank you so much I so needed this! I am new to all this stuff.
honey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #1868
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: xEveWasFramedx
WOE: Atkins 72' Induction
Start Date: August 2014
Bonny - Is the Silk unsweetened almond milk ok on 72' Induction? I just got the book in the mail today and have only gotten 5 pages in so far! I love almond milk and it would be nice to have that in my coffee instead of cream.
xEveWasFramedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #1869
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I'm not Bonny but, I have the unsweetened almond coconut milk and it's less than 1 carb per cup according to the nutrition label. A little in your coffee should be fine, I know others on here use it with no problems. Silk milks weren't around when Dr. A wrote the book.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #1870
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF,EFGT
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 9/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
I'm not Bonny but, I have the unsweetened almond coconut milk and it's less than 1 carb per cup according to the nutrition label. A little in your coffee should be fine, I know others on here use it with no problems. Silk milks weren't around when Dr. A wrote the book.
I love this unsweetened almond milk , I made an ice coffee last night...loved it!!
jblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #1871
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fitby43
Stats: 270/258/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2014
Looks like Back to Basics for me

Hi everyone,
I am new to LCF and have been spying on everyone's posts. I have found the posts to be inspirational and informative. I am hoping that this support will keep me on the right track. Congratulations to all of you on your success to date.

I started the "new" Atkins plan at the end of June and experienced some good results the first couple of weeks. However, I have stalled. Don't get me wrong. I am down 16 pounds since the end of June, but that happened within the first 3 weeks. I have not "cheated" but I am just not seeing results any more. After reading through the older posts on thread, I think that Atkins 72 is the way to go.

I started what I thought was the original plan, by cutting out the salad and bottled dressing that I was eating every day. Just from reading the posts, I think that I have been doing a lot wrong. Here's where I think I might be going wrong. Please offer any thoughts on this-

-I only have one cup of coffee in the morning, and I do not use sweetener, but I have been using Light cream. Should I be using heavy cream?

-I drink a lot of fluids throughout the day, but am not a big fan of water, so its mostly Crystal Light. Does anyone find that Crystal Light stalls their weight loss?

-Every morning, I start the day with a cheese omelet (2 eggs and about 1-1.5 oz of cheese). But, I have been using American cheese. I think that might be a no no. Today, I changed it up and decided to have scrambled eggs and I heated up some deli-sliced corned beef on the side.

-I eat a lot of deli meat, but I have been diligent about making sure that there are 0-1 gram of carbs per 2 oz. serving.

Also, I am nervous because I get hungry. I need larger than average portions to keep me feeling satisfied. A lot of posts show that many are eating less than 1000 calories per day. That's great, if you can do it. I dont know if that's possible for me. Even now, as I am writing this, my tummy is rumbling.

So far today, I have had:

Breakfast
1 cup coffee with a splash of light cream
2 large eggs (scrambled and cooked in butter)
Approx 3 oz of deli corned beef (1 carb per serving)

Lunch
2 hard-boiled eggs
Approx 4 oz of deli roast beef (0 carbs per serving)

Snack
5oz can of Swanson canned chicken breast with a splash of hot sauce.

To me, it seems that I have already eaten more than most people that post their menus eat in a day and I am still very hungry. Any and all advice is welcome.
Fitby43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #1872
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neener207
Stats: 220/189/145
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 22 2014
Fitby - I would say yes switch to heavy cream. I'm not a coffee drinker but a few other members use almond milk in various flavors in their coffee.

Crystal light has carbs in it believe it or not, not sure how much you are using. Artificial sweetners do stall some people. I have to watch how much use. I stick to 1 diet sode or ice tea with a sweetner once a day. But it doesn't bother everyone.

I think you need to eat more "real" meat. Grill a bunch, make some hamburgers, steak, chicken?
Neener207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #1873
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fitby43
Stats: 270/258/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2014
Thanks for the advice Neener. I definitely think I overdo it on the Crystal Light. I drink at least a half gallon a day. I am gonna switch to water for most of the day and maybe treat myself to a diet soda after dinner.

For dinner tonight, I baked chicken breast with mayo & Romano cheese and loved it, so I am going to cook a bunch this weekend and have those for lunch instead of the deli meat.

Thanks very much for your response!
Fitby43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #1874
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nimuae
Stats: 296/190.0/165
WOE: Atkins -currently Atkins 72 Induction week 1
Start Date: Restart - 01/24/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
Jan: No, there's nothing in s/f jello but water and flavour. I just mentioned it as it's my "snack" if you will.
If you're really interested in doing Atkins '72 Induction 100% then why don't you join us in the new thread: "Hard Core" Atkins '72. We are a group that is very committed to our woe and we'd love to have you there if this is something you'd also be interested in.

I am unable to locate that thread ~ I'd love to check it out
Nimuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #1875
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
WOE: A 72 Induction (Hard Core!)
"HARD CORE" ATKINS '72 INDUCTION GROUP
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #1876
Major LCF Poster!

Fitby: Hmm, well I don't eat any deli meat, although I hear some are not bad but I don't do "not bad."
I try to stay as close to 0 carb on everything as I'm still in Atkins '72 Induction phase. I only eat fresh, unprocessed, unpackaged and unprepared meats and seafood. Maybe twice month I might have a "canned fish" but only salmon in water. I rarely have a burger outside the house and if I do it's usually Five Guys as they're happy to lettuce wrap your burger and they do an awesome job of it too!

I use a split of Silk brand Unsweetened Coconut Milk (85%) and heavy whipping cream (15%) in my coffee, nothing else.

I drink water everyday at work and use a tiny bit of MIO. I occasionally have Caffeine Free Diet Coke in the evening and still show losses.

I guess the bottom line is READ THE LABELS very carefully!!! You may be aware of the "misinterpretation" of actually carbs on labels as they are allowed to say 0 carb as long as the noted serving size is under 1 carb BUT you have to consider eating more than a tsp of whatever. Look it up online and see how many 5 tsps are as that seems to be a more realistic serving size. Then you find you've just eaten 4.5 carbs without even knowing it!! Yikes!!

In my own personal opinion, Fitby, I would stay away from the deli and the canned food. The sodium in these things are likely extremely high which of course will hinder your losses. Nothing wrong with eating till you're full as long as you're eating only the allowable foods on your own chosen woe, then that's fine. Keep in touch dear and let us know how things are going for you!!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #1877
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MarthaT34
Stats: 182/178
Start Date: 7/29/2014
How many packets of Splenda can I use in my coffee
MarthaT34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #1878
Big Yapper!!!!

None. They have carbs. Use liquid.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #1879
Senior LCF Member

I had the '72 book but do you think I can find it now?

What I want to know is: Isn't the 72 plan strict induction for 2 weeks then slowly adding foods until you find your sweet spot for still losing while continuing low carb?

I know I have to eat LC for the rest of my life. I'm okay with it, but I don't understand why I would forever forbid myself a LITTLE veg or a LITTLE fruit now and then. I did very strict for a few weeks and lost about a lb a day. I also closely watched portions. I seem to do better eating small amounts a few times a day, depending on my hunger.

Strict induction might help me lose faster, but I see those who stick close to zero carbs and still lose slowly. I'm okay with a progressive loss and will tweak things if necessary to continue seeing a monthly loss. I'm still losing a couple lbs a week.

So yeah, isn't strict induction of 2 weeks totally endorsed by Dr A? Dang I wish I could find that book! I know as soon as I order a new one the old one will show up!

Last edited by JayLynn; 08-31-2014 at 10:56 AM..
Old 08-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #1880
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
mjgh06 has some guidance for adding more carbs after induction to Atkins 72 in this thread. Original Atkins 72 - Do you follow it?

Here is one quote from her first post.

"Atkins wanted this to become a permanent way of life and wanted it to be something that could be done easily. So, after Induction week or Level 1 as it is called, he did not specify what you could or could not add back into your diet. In fact pg. 144-145 he said put back what you've missed most as long as it starts at only 5-8 grams of carbs a day for the week. You would continue adding something new at 5-8 grams of carbs each new level until you reach your CCL. Regardless of the level the constant is to avoid sugars, and he believes nothing is more likely to stop your progress than fruit."

Hope this helps some.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #1881
Senior LCF Member

I forgot that Dr A said strict induction (meat, eggs, fats) only HAS to last one week. I suppose it would depend on each individual and how much weight they need/want to lose and how fast. I did strict for about 3 weeks and at that point added in a small amount of veggies with my dinner a couple times a week. I like to eat mushrooms sautéed in butter along with my steak.
I eat cream cheese occasionally and in two months have had strawberries a couple times. Eating LCHF definitely curbs my cravings so I'm not worried about going back to a carb crazy diet. I just don't feel good eating all that stuff anymore.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #1882
Major LCF Poster!

I've been doing strict Atkins '72 Induction for 51 weeks, no problem!
Old 09-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #1883
Senior LCF Member

There is no way I want to stick to strict induction for more than a few weeks. I need more variation besides meat, eggs, cheese and fats. I know I can't go carb crazy and expect to lose weight. I have been between 15-20 carbs for about six weeks now, after doing a few weeks strict induction/zero carb. I lost about 14 lbs after upping my carbs and as long as I keep losing, I'll keep experimenting slowly to find my CCL.
I eat no sugar or grains, except for once I had some gingersnaps and the other day I had some popcorn. Two "cheats" <<I hate that word>> in three months. As long as my clothes continue to get looser and I am feeling good, I'm going to have some veggies a few times a week. It keeps me from feeling deprived and I just feel better with a few good carbs here and there.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #1884
Major LCF Poster!

We all do what works for us and if that's working for you then it's all good, my dear!! We all have to find what we can do and manage for the long haul. Kuddos!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #1885
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Josie, RN
WOE: Stillman Diet
The old, classic Atkins was the BEST. The new one follows the modern-day weight loss philosophy of "balance" - which rarely works for any diet. The addition of carbs, and the 'portioning out' of meals doesn't work at all like the original Atkins, and is really no different than most diets today. I just did the "old standby" for the past week, and lost 6 pounds. I weighed 129 and went down to 123.
Josie, RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #1886
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie, RN View Post
The old, classic Atkins was the BEST. The new one follows the modern-day weight loss philosophy of "balance" - which rarely works for any diet. The addition of carbs, and the 'portioning out' of meals doesn't work at all like the original Atkins, and is really no different than most diets today. I just did the "old standby" for the past week, and lost 6 pounds. I weighed 129 and went down to 123.
Wow! Good on you!