Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #1831
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ejw55
Stats: 167/144.6/115
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melsie52 View Post
Finally on my first day of Atkins '72. After all my bad blood results from blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol I hit rock bottom and never want to feel as bad as I did yesterday. I am so determined to get off my Metformin and to never go on any BP pills. Food was my celebration with my husband. We can still celebrate on low carb anywhere and I never want to feel as mentally and physically bad as I have. Enough is enough. Just needed to get this off my chest. Melanie
very good choice coming here!! You can celebrate better now with food....who doesn't like a big juicy steak or surf & turf...lobster, shrimp....I would always look for the smallest steak...like a petite filet...now I am going to go for the big rib eye...yummm best of luck and keep posting!!
ejw55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #1832
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: natosha120
Ok guys I'm taking the plunge and so far my appetite is even decreasing more I think working out in between eating before and after does help a bit. So I will slowly decrease.

I dropped my cup down to half at lunch dinner kept a full cup but will reduce as well so atleast now be slowly lower. However, plan after done them to stop veggies completely. I hope this will help my calories will drop a bit like under 1200. However, I'm hoping this is what is needed to really move on to weight loss. Appetite deff feels lower, mainly cause of working out and not really hungry for food but love the water lol.
natosha120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #1833
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natosha120 View Post
do you think well I guess scared to drop the mushrooms i mean 6 carbs to the day right there, but scared like appetite will pick up and so will eating alot more food. However, do you think they could be the problem, and if possible since I just got more to just maybe have one serving at breakfast or maybe even half it up a bit so have half a cup 1 carb per meals. would be better, because really don't want to throw 8 dollars worth of mushrooms away.
Hey there,

first I would omit the mushrooms...too many carbs...if you get hungry, eat a little more meat or add an egg....
also, no low fat anything...it is the fat that keeps you full...also, replace the "string" cheese with real cheese...you are allowed 3-4 oz which is a lot of real cheese...stick to the firm cheese like chedder....I try to limit mine because sometime cheese can stall people. Basically, you want to eat meat of any kind(no processed foods), eggs and cheese....try to stick to "real" food that our great grandparents ate!! Easier to keep it simple in the beginning..
Let us know if you have any questions...keep posting your meals.
Not sure you have read the first page on this thread...it goes thru the guidelines if you don't have the book...that is really about all you need to get you going.. Best of luck!!

Always treat people the way you would like to be treated!
“Don’t eat anything your great-great grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.” ~Michael Pollan
Old 06-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #1834
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, I do hope tho for right now going to slow down on mushrooms just cause need to eat them don't want to waste 8 dollars since can't return. No one else loves them. So I'll slowly eat them make my meals less more as a small side topping like and see how that goes so far I could probably go without them my appetite is quite not there so today is going to def be under 1200 lol which is cool and carbs low as well, but i do need to use them up some way lol. However, I guess after my slow indulgence of them. I'll clean my act up and just not have any veggie at all. THank you so much will keep you inform
Old 06-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #1835
Senior LCF Member

Ok for the day as of now, I am like WOW. I forgot from the past why I love just meat and dairy and eggs lol..
Still need eat low fat cheese up but don't use it often its also great that the meat is super fatty so the grease is soaking the plate and drenches the eggs and just as tasty to lick off the plate as well. However, no mushrooms I may feel a bit more hungry but good thing its end of the day.

So today I did do a switch, but only way to rid of mushrooms wuld be to slowly add some in. So I figure in morning have some won't hurt only 2 carbs. Until they are atleast gone or find another way to get rid of them since I can't return them.

Though, just without veggies super yummy

ok today as of now this is my day without the mushrooms ( not as many)

breakfast:
2 eggs
1 steakumms thin full beef
low fat mozz cheese( no fillers just probably 2%= need fini first than may try going high fat cheedar or cream cheese or aged other type be adventurous)
cup mushrooms raw measurements that i cook and sautee in the beef fat with eggs

cup hot tea and splenda 1 packet

water 16oz

water 16 oz

lunch- half bottle snapple diet peach 10fl oz
half cup mushrooms raw weight
Burger pure beef patty pan cooked
grease of the burger cook 2 eggs
16oz water

4oz water

dinner-
rest of diet snapple 10fl oz
16oz water
one burger
grease cook the eggs and poured on plate like always with eggs
mozzarella cheese low fat

that be the day. feel pretty good. Love the taste of fat and meat, but do not feel as full. However, I think I will live.

total cals went from 1200-1210 area to 1180 and carbs from
13 to possibly 10

I kept work out same, have been very drained today for lack of sleep and feeling digestive issues of constipation as well that plant food gives me on low carb. However, now that I lightened it I do hope to see it go down better.

I doubt I'm gaining fat I mean I'm not eating to high of carbs and calories is way less, but It could be muscles and food weight from not getting digested out yet. I mean ever since I started I did start new high paces work out.
Jumping jacks before and after a meal
legs raised high while running in place. I feel like my thighs and arms may be holding on to water weight due to it.

Maybe I just need to let my body adjust more, before I fear that everything is bad.

I think the little carbs I am having is helping me stay a bit more energized as well as water, but still alot less carbs than having a starchy food lol.

Thank you guys for being such a great support.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #1836
Senior LCF Member

Atkins Flu

Just to be fore warned...some people get what they call the Atkins Flu....for me I had major potty problems, headache, feeling like in a fog and fatigue. There are a few ways to deal with this....make sure to drink lots of fluids....for dizziness have some either beef or chicken broth...the sodium helps...mine lasted a few days. I wouldn't worry too much about exercise for the first week or two to get adjusted especially if you have the "flu"...make sure you are eating enough...you should never be hungry.

Also, I am not sure If you have tried them...but a good crunchy snack is pork rinds...they have the original and also have some flavors (bbq)...if you have a Dollar Tree, they have them there for $1....if you like them a lot Sams has a big barrel for $6...

Hopefully, you will be one of those who doesn't get the "flu"

The steakumms.....check the label and make sure they have no carbs...they are processed.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #1837
Senior LCF Member

No carbs at all pure beef nothing else no fillers which love easy fast lol to cook..

Maybe I am over thinking it. I should be measuring. To say I look alot thinner face sunken in etc. Waist alot slimmer etc..

So I know prob bad measure right now but I actuall lost the half inch around my waist and hips are down as well. I mean I can seem apperance alot amaller but my scale is my enemy lol. However u know do feel good I love it meat beef n eggs loll haha ton fat etc.. n I am eating so light when use eat 2000+ low carb so I really see no reason to be gaining plus protein boosts weight loss due to the 30% burn with digesting. Guess reason for leaner cheese lol and protein tends to fill me better without excess acid feel from tooo much fat lol. But I should be happy about the inches and not what the scale says.

I guess I just become super dramatic after weighing lol I need to settle down lol haa. Thank you again ejw55.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:34 AM   #1838
Senior LCF Member

awesome!! good news slept like the best ever, and no mushroom cramping at night plus weight is back down . I really need to stop using a scale the measurements mean so much more my gut is smaller my arms and legs. Plus fat thatbeen working out harder than norm and more that my muscles were in pain and finally today they are not as much so i can keep working out and lose that fat lol and transform my clothes in time for modeling lol. Yeah thank you guys. Gonna keep to same approach as yesterday with the mushrooms and see how days go by. Hopefully it all heads down from today lol since my waist lol is. Hope you a great day
Old 06-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #1839
Senior LCF Member

Yeah success yesterday was back to weight began at and today half pound down. already notice inches down lol still drinking high amounts of water but notice with the less weight maybe have something do with it don't feel as thirsty. However trying still drink a good amount 60floz i think or so. and 2 servings of tea lol. sweet steak it up daily easy and working out hard tightening up my body lol and building strength. lol Yippi guess success is occuring finally thank you guys hope all of you had a great weekend .
Old 06-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #1840
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tara1970
Stats: 176/158/Happy@140/Ideal@128
WOE: CAD/One Meal A Day/Gluten Free
Okay I'm fairly happy with my current WOE but I got the Atkins '72 book today and wondered if someone who really KNOWS about this can help: in the book, he says week one, have half a cup of lightly packed green salad - in England we measure by weight, not volume, can anyone please tell me what half a cup lightly packed would weigh in grams?

I literally have no idea if half a cup is like 30g of actual salad, 80g, 150g, I mean I could probably get almost 150g cucumber into half a measuring cup... anyone have any actual idea what kind of weights he's talking about please, or whether the Atkins people ever released authoritative guidance (prior to changing Induction to <20g CHO) for what he meant there by weight not volume?
Tara1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:55 AM   #1841
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara1970 View Post
Okay I'm fairly happy with my current WOE but I got the Atkins '72 book today and wondered if someone who really KNOWS about this can help: in the book, he says week one, have half a cup of lightly packed green salad - in England we measure by weight, not volume, can anyone please tell me what half a cup lightly packed would weigh in grams?

I literally have no idea if half a cup is like 30g of actual salad, 80g, 150g, I mean I could probably get almost 150g cucumber into half a measuring cup... anyone have any actual idea what kind of weights he's talking about please, or whether the Atkins people ever released authoritative guidance (prior to changing Induction to <20g CHO) for what he meant there by weight not volume?
LOL @ 1 cup loosely packed... I know drove me crazy too... I just looked up that info for you 1 cup = 1 oz = 28.35g.

I love my salads so I eat more than 2 c. Actually I started out eating and still eat 6 oz salads each day = 170 grams -- I buy them pre washed and I call 'em bag o' salads, they come in 5-6 oz bags so that's what I eat. I get the ones with the lowest carb counts, usually a green leaf salad or Butter/Boston/Bib lettuce; 6 oz = 4 actual carb grams not NET carbs.

I just pour in a bowl, top with my homemade dressing and eat. I don't like to spend a lot of time thinking, touching, prepping or cooking food... those are triggers for me to overeat.

Last edited by Just Jo; 06-19-2014 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Silly Fingers...UGH!!
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:00 AM   #1842
Major LCF Poster!

Tara, I weigh everything in grams, IMHO, it's way more accurate then ounces.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:58 AM   #1843
Senior LCF Member

wonderful news weight is back down. I did need to stop working out too much and eat more lol.. kept it pure meat and eggs and cheese and fat lol noting else and was it filling and good. drank as much since was 93degrees and had my normal 2 teas and was good . felt so strong and better. Had horrible sleep but guess cause living with a smoker and the heat don't really help. probably nap if have time today.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #1844
Senior LCF Member

Hope everyone is doing great today
Old 06-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #1845
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tara1970
Stats: 176/158/Happy@140/Ideal@128
WOE: CAD/One Meal A Day/Gluten Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
LOL @ 1 cup loosely packed... I know drove me crazy too... I just looked up that info for you 1 cup = 1 oz = 28.35g.
Thanks so much, I was very confused, a cup of flour (ick)is very different weight-wise to a cup of salad, I didn't know where to begin!

Yes, grams are definitely more accurate, I don't use scales that much unless I'm doing a VLC day like today (that, for me, is under 20g carbs) in which case the difference with things like onion is important.

You're a star!
Tara1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #1846
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Poohsmommi
Stats: 221/217/145
WOE: 1972 Atkins
Start Date: 09/01/2014
Hi

Hi everyone! I'm starting the 1972 Atkins induction tomorrow (well, I guess today). I know this is the strictest part, and I'm really committed this time to sticking with it, and getting thru the withdrawl. My question is - at what point are we allowed to eat black olives? It's not on the list, so I'm guessing I need to wait until I am finished with my induction? Also, I get nauseous fast, for some reason. I guess it's part of the withdrawl for me. I never get past the 3rd or 4th day before I cheat, but I really, truly am ready to do it this time. Is Sleep Time tea ok to drink? I can't think of anything else that I can have to calm my stomach. Anyway, thanks for listening!
Poohsmommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #1847
Senior LCF Member

Hey there!!
The black olives would be after induction and at that point add them slowly.
There is a thing called the "induction flu" where you feel nauseous, light headed, headache....what you want to do is to have either chicken or beef broth (make sure no sugar)....you need the sodium to get you through the first part of the diet. I had it bad for a 3 days until someone told me about the broth...worked like a charm.
Just keep it to meat (all kinds), eggs, cheese (some get stalled) and 2 cups of lettuce. The first post has all the basics you should need!! Post any questions or just keep us up to date on your progress!!
Ellen
Old 06-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #1848
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Poohsmommi
Stats: 221/217/145
WOE: 1972 Atkins
Start Date: 09/01/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw55 View Post
Hey there!!
The black olives would be after induction and at that point add them slowly.
There is a thing called the "induction flu" where you feel nauseous, light headed, headache....what you want to do is to have either chicken or beef broth (make sure no sugar)....you need the sodium to get you through the first part of the diet. I had it bad for a 3 days until someone told me about the broth...worked like a charm.
Just keep it to meat (all kinds), eggs, cheese (some get stalled) and 2 cups of lettuce. The first post has all the basics you should need!! Post any questions or just keep us up to date on your progress!!
Ellen
Thanks! I had 3 sausage links (gluten free, sugar free, 0 carbs) and 2 eggs with a teaspoon of sour cream for breakfast. I'm going to go get some chicken broth now.
Poohsmommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #1849
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Melsie52
Stats: 202/190/140
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: June 12, 2014
Hello Again,

I am back and going to stay. It takes some of us a long time to finally relies what is right for us as a individual. I went on Nutrisystem and it was good, but not practical financially or socially. I have lost some pounds and read my book Atkin's 72 over and over again and it finally falls into place. I am not doing induction, but close to it. I am also a type II diabetic with a fasting blood sugar of 118. I am so glad of that! I do want to lower it and have my full cholesterol lowered with all that goes with that.

I have a question: Do any of you all out there know where I can find a list of 5 gram amount of carbs. All I am doing on the carb side is eating a little more vegetables. I know what to do I just need a nice list to find my CCL. I can't wait to talk to you all.

Melanie in Florida
Old 06-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #1850
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monique
WOE: Atkins
I haven't lost in about a a week and a half. The items I have added in I have to eliminate such as cheese and almonds. I will add back when I am at my goal.
monique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:50 AM   #1851
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Some people find that cheese will really slow them down. No nuts during '72 Induction. You can add them later. That should make a big difference for you soon if you eliminate them temporarily. I don't eat veggies myself and if it wasn't for the Splenda in my coffee, I think my carbs would be very close to 0 but I must have my coffee!!! Otherwise most days are simply just eggs cooked different ways and meat for evening meal. That's it!
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #1852
Major LCF Poster!

I don't do cheese or nuts because I have portion control issues, just easier for me not to say you get this much so now "STOP". I'd rather not be tempted by them. Okay I'm weak, I have no self-control but I know what my weaknesses are.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:41 AM   #1853
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: weezer1031
Hi everyone I have been away Cape Cod in MA it was a great time ,I did have a few vodkas and water a couple of glasses of wine otherwise stayed on plan. I also had to buy a new lap top it was a bit challenging to sign on to the group mainly because I forgot my password and to get a new password takes a lot of steps, but I finally did it this am.

Just got caught up on all the posts congratulations loosers you are my heroes.

Paulette, I think I'm having water retention issues my feet/ankles are swelling up, I also take metropolol for high BP and that is a side effect, need to call doc. I tried to take a diuretic a few years back and I was allergic.

I will continue to stay the course, come here everyday the source of all that is true and good for my way of eating. Have a great day everyone.
weezer1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #1854
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Loving all the info on Atkins 72 ! I want to lose 10-15 lbs quickly and have been LC but losing too slowly !! admittedly , I have had my cheats and got bloated and miserable , but i'm done with that and not turning back......

I am trying to lower carbs and finish up a few things in fridge... going to store today for lots of meat and hard cheese ( i looove cream cheese ) --- will have to ignore it and freeze it !

I plan to start doing
Meat
Eggs
Cheese

will read back and check out the induction list !

Thanks in advance

ATTITUDE is the difference between an ordeal and an ADVENTURE !!

'If you're tired of starting over, then QUIT stopping !"
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #1855
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
okay just a little confused that "week one" has a rev roll and cold cuts" listed !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #1856
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PauletticusJ
Stats: 331/268/175
Start Date: 3/2/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
okay just a little confused that "week one" has a rev roll and cold cuts" listed !
I have never made rev rolls. Sound icky to me. But there are some "cold cuts" that are carb-free. The Oscar Mayer Deli Selects have some carb-free varieties. Back in the 70's, I am not sure what he was referring to - probably just slices of beef, turkey or ham....
PauletticusJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #1857
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
never tried them but don't sound too good.
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #1858
Senior LCF Member

I've had to cut out a lot of salt, mainly the pork rinds, because I've stalled a bit. Was doing really well until I added them in. I was down 6 lb in 5 days and have only lost 1 lb in the last two days. Yesterday and the day before I had quite a few pork rinds with my tuna salad or 2 oz cheese which is what I usually have for lunch.

Anyone else notice salty foods stall them? I was enjoying the crunch but I'm determined to get rid of this fluff once and for all, so no more rinds.

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!
Old 07-19-2014, 03:22 AM   #1859
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Yes, I too find that high sodium choices make my scale stick for a couple of days so nothing wrong with it occasionally, just be prepared for a scale that isn't cooperating. Lots of water will help flush it out. Sodium is not a bad thing, JMHO, but don't overdo it or that is what will happen. Even when I treat myself to s/f jello, it's only 2-3 times a week maybe! Gotta try to get the "snacking" thing outta our heads, eh. So cut back a little on the high sodium choices and see what happens. Good luck.
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #1860
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Bonny. First of all, Congrats on the wonderful weight loss and determination. I've been reading everything on this A 72 thread ever since I found Jo's journal and been so amazed by her incredible WL journey.

No rinds or salt to speak of yesterday and I'm down 2 lb this morning. Wow. So I'm off them, maybe a few here and there but not 1/3 the bag! lol

Even the SF jello? Hmmm that is also something I have about 1/2 cup of per day. I need something "sweet" with dinner. But maybe that is my evil fat twin who needs it.

I've lost 9 lbs since going 72 100 percent so I can't really complain. I want under 200 so bad and I know this is the only way I'm going to get there.

Thanks for your advice! Any and all is appreciated!