Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #1741
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nimuae
Stats: 296/190.0/165
WOE: Atkins -currently Atkins 72 Induction week 1
Start Date: Restart - 01/24/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SADWING View Post
Hello. New hear...But without having to scour 13 pages of replies, can anyone tell me if the OP meant tbs rather than tsp when talking about heavy cream?

Thanks!

btw.... I successfully did this diet about ten years ago. It took me quite a while to put the pounds on. Once I did, I went to the Body For Life program and it worked better than anything I had ever done. Now, though? I can't exercise and do cardio and such because of an injury. Atkins will be perfect for my situation. It does make it difficult living in Thailand though. The lack of clear labelling and ovens is overwhelming. lol

Hello.
Hello and welcome! Thailand, how exciting ~
Nimuae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #1742
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: onthepath
Stats: 234/213/180
WOE: low carb
Start Date: June 2012
Wow, I just finished this entire thread. I have been low carbing most of the past several years, but started 72 last Monday. Am down 7 pounds. I know most of that is water, but I feel better and for the first time my keto sticks are up to a trace.
I have enjoyed every post on this thread and want to suscribe to see how everyone else is doing.
onthepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #1743
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rustygramma
Hi, I have been trying to do the 72 version for the last two weeks without the book. I've just been using info gleaned off of here. I am down 10 pounds. I have the book coming but it is delayed due to the snow. I was wondering if you are not hungry in the morning if it is ok to skip breakfast or if I skipping it will mess up my metabolism?
rustygramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #1744
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: onthepath
Stats: 234/213/180
WOE: low carb
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygramma View Post
Hi, I have been trying to do the 72 version for the last two weeks without the book. I've just been using info gleaned off of here. I am down 10 pounds. I have the book coming but it is delayed due to the snow. I was wondering if you are not hungry in the morning if it is ok to skip breakfast or if I skipping it will mess up my metabolism?
I don't know for sure because I haven't read the book, but I spent a lot of time on the JUDDD threads and according to them, going without food for extended periods of time is very healthy. There are others that say several smaller meals a day. I believe Dr. Atkins said to eat when your hungry and stop when you are full. So to me, if you don't feel like eating breakfast I don't know why not.

I've read several times on this sight that we are all different. If skipping breakfast doesn't cause a stall in your weight loss, then it should be ok.

That's just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck to you. Wow 10 pounds in 2 weeks is great.
Gloria
onthepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #1745
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nimuae
Stats: 296/190.0/165
WOE: Atkins -currently Atkins 72 Induction week 1
Start Date: Restart - 01/24/14
Quote:
Atkins said, eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full, so likely you will be fine. There are several groups that follow an intermittent fasting method, and often do not eat until late morning or lunch as part of their "window". they seem to do just fine, so listen to your body and let us know how it works out for you.

As for me, I find that if I have my coffee with HWC first thing in the morning, I am not hungry for at least a couple of hours. I take my eggs to work and nuke em when I do get hungry.... so far it is working for me ~

God gives the best to those who leave the choice to him.

March Goals:
Walking / 85 mi / 92

April Goals:
Walking / 95 mi
Nimuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #1746
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Quote:

You will get different responses to this depending on who responds. Personally, mo is if you are not hungry do not eat - unless you stall out or gain. With atkins, you will find that you are naturally less hungry. Carbs are what causes hunger for more carbs. Fat and protein help keep you feeling full. Just make sure you don't just overload and gorge on one meal a day. It is better to space your food out than to take it all in at one sitting. And again that is just from my experience.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #1747
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rustygramma
I finally got the book. It is 1973 edition. I am assuming that is the same as the 72 one. It says to eat breakfast whether hungry or not. So I will try and eat breakfast. I can't eat eggs so it is the one meal I struggle with. I also went to the library and checked out 5 low carb cookbooks. Should make things more interesting.
rustygramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #1748
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Rusty, if you can't eat eggs, maybe try lots of meat and some cottage cheese.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #1749
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
I agree there is something in plants can't think of the name, their defense mechanism , that actually blocks the absorption of vitamins/minerals...that is probably why we are recommend the amounts we are. you can't trust anything the FDA says!
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #1750
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Melsie52
Stats: 202/190/140
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: June 12, 2014
Vegetable Question

I haven't done Atkins in years and did well on the 1972 version. I finished the book and am confused when you can have the second list of vegetables, like green beans, avocados and such. I don't even know how much. I know about the loosely filled 2 cups of salad. Any help on those vegetables would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Melanie
Melsie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #1751
Senior LCF Member

I think he recommended a minimum of 2 weeks on induction, then u could slowly add in veggies, I think @ like 5 carbs a day for a week. A lot of ppl here are on an extended induction with no veggies and have had incredible results.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #1752
Junior LCF Member

Thank you reptogirl. I have to be able to do this no matter what. I will get off Meformin and bring my cholesterol levels to very normal. I don't think I have ever been this determined before. How long does the Atkins flu last and what can I do to relieve the symptoms? On another note, I am so glad we bought a bbq, now for bbq chicken with skin on it.

Thank you,
Melanie
Old 04-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #1753
Senior LCF Member

The "flu" varies by person, some people don't have any symptoms, I had a day of TMI and just feeling lousy,
you will get off your metformin, I don't know if you have read the other thread, the more active one, but my mom was on metformin, glimeride, and insulin. She is off all 3 of them and her blood sugars have been staying normal range, this basically happened within the first week or 10 days,
Now I have heard you can drink broth to help with symptoms, but I can't say first hand
Old 04-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #1754
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glidergirl
Yes, drink broth, just make sure no sugar in it. I've read it's the salt that makes you feel better.
Come to think of it, I think I'll get some to have around.

Great post! Thank you!
glidergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #1755
Junior LCF Member

Hi Glidegirl,

We both live in Florida. Thanks for the info also. Nice to meet you. Any help will be most appreciated.

Melanie
Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #1756
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melsie52 View Post
Hi Glidegirl,

We both live in Florida. Thanks for the info also. Nice to meet you. Any help will be most appreciated.

Melanie
Hi Melanie! Nice to meet another Sunshine State girl!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:35 AM   #1757
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Hey Everybody!!

Someone suggested cottage cheese for induction? A quote about amount and kind of cheese from A '72 (if that's the LC WOE you are following) Induction Week 1:

Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.

I only eat one meal a day -- I tried breaking it up to several meals a day, but it made me hungry all day long -- weird I know. As you can see from my stats, this works for me.

I did some research on eating breakfast, because I haven't eaten breakfast since I was in grade school. According to an article in JAMA back in 31 Jan 2013:

On the Value of Eating Breakfast Myth:
“Two randomized, controlled trials that studied the outcome of eating versus skipping breakfast showed no effect on weight in the total sample. However, the findings in one study suggested that the effect on weight loss of being assigned to eat or skip breakfast was dependent on baseline breakfast habits."

I think the most important thing is that LC WOE is very personal, what works for one person may not work for another. Once we understand how this LC WOE works, we can "tweak" it to get the results we want.

Wishing all of us continue success on our personal LC WOE journeys!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #1758
Junior LCF Member

Hi Glidergirl, love Florida. I will be here two years in August. Florida was our 10 year dream. It is so wonderful here. I am gathering all my low carb recipes and getting it all together. Do you think worstershire sauce is ok to use on meats and such? It does have some sugar and about 1 gram of carb. I need to know if it is ok on induction. Other then that I need good marinades for some tougher meats. Got a new meter for my diabetes checks and slowly get off the Metformin. How are you doing?

Melanie
Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 AM   #1759
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melsie52 View Post
Hi Glidergirl, love Florida. I will be here two years in August. Florida was our 10 year dream. It is so wonderful here. I am gathering all my low carb recipes and getting it all together. Do you think worstershire sauce is ok to use on meats and such? It does have some sugar and about 1 gram of carb. I need to know if it is ok on induction. Other then that I need good marinades for some tougher meats. Got a new meter for my diabetes checks and slowly get off the Metformin. How are you doing?

Melanie
Hey Melanie -- A '72 Induction does not include using worstershire sauce -- you can use almost any dry/fresh herb as long as it has no carbs or sugar. Why waste 1 gram of carbs on a Tablespoon of sauce? The sugar could also do one of two negative things: 1) stall your weight loss or 2) increase your cravings for more carbs.

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

“This WOE is not a diet,
Old 04-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #1760
Junior LCF Member

Monday is my day. I am going to the market today. I am starting induction and going for a week and go forth. What kind of bacon do you all eat? I am just getting good old Costco bacon. What kind of mayo and how much do you use? I like Dukes because it has no sugar and I know you don't have to measure.

Thanks again,

Melanie
Old 04-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #1761
Senior LCF Member

Bacon I just make sure it has no sugar grams, I guess there is some uncured bacon out there, but I think I am doing okay with what we get. We don't have dukes here, i just get whatever happens to be on sale or have a coupon for Kraft, Kroger store brand, hellmans- and I don't measure mayo, I just use whatever I want/need
Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #1762
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ceb65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
Hey Everybody!!

Someone suggested cottage cheese for induction? A quote about amount and kind of cheese from A '72 (if that's the LC WOE you are following) Induction Week 1:

Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.

I only eat one meal a day -- I tried breaking it up to several meals a day, but it made me hungry all day long -- weird I know. As you can see from my stats, this works for me.

I did some research on eating breakfast, because I haven't eaten breakfast since I was in grade school. According to an article in JAMA back in 31 Jan 2013:

On the Value of Eating Breakfast Myth:
“Two randomized, controlled trials that studied the outcome of eating versus skipping breakfast showed no effect on weight in the total sample. However, the findings in one study suggested that the effect on weight loss of being assigned to eat or skip breakfast was dependent on baseline breakfast habits."

I think the most important thing is that LC WOE is very personal, what works for one person may not work for another. Once we understand how this LC WOE works, we can "tweak" it to get the results we want.

Wishing all of us continue success on our personal LC WOE journeys!

“This WOE is not a diet,
Hi Just Jo, I think the reason so many people get confused about the cottage cheese is because he used it to make REV rolls which are allowed in induction, but he never clarifies it. I make mine with sour cream, because it tastes better!
ceb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #1763
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb65 View Post
Hi Just Jo, I think the reason so many people get confused about the cottage cheese is because he used it to make REV rolls which are allowed in induction, but he never clarifies it. I make mine with sour cream, because it tastes better!
how much sour cream and eggs do you use

thanks
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #1764
Senior LCF Member

Sour cream sounds yummy!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:05 AM   #1765
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ceb65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny7 View Post
how much sour cream and eggs do you use

thanks
I follow the original Revolution roll recipe just sub sour cream for cottage cheese. I make 2 batches and eat these almost every day for breakfast with one egg, slice of deli cheese and turkey sausage for an egg McRev sandwich!

3 eggs
3 TSP sour cream
ceb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #1766
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: vessel of prayer
Stats: 210/200/140
WOE: low carb/atkins 72
Start Date: April 25 2014 again
Hi everyone. Just read thru most of the threads. Started 72 this morning. Was doing the nutritional atkins before. Love atkins. my blood glucose readings are in normal range now, my feet are not swollen, or my legs. Also my feet do not hurt anymore. YAY.. been on it two weeks. I do not force fluids, but drink my fair share. Started to exercise yesterday. Love Zumba. six min. yesterday. seven min. today.
vessel of prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #1767
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monique
WOE: Atkins
What does it mean if day 3 your stomach is upset? I woke up feeling full and had coffee and now my stomach is upset. I am addicted to coffee so I must have to avoid headaches.
monique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #1768
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: vessel of prayer
Stats: 210/200/140
WOE: low carb/atkins 72
Start Date: April 25 2014 again
Quote:
Originally Posted by monique View Post
What does it mean if day 3 your stomach is upset? I woke up feeling full and had coffee and now my stomach is upset. I am addicted to coffee so I must have to avoid headaches.
I drink coffee. Not sure tho why your stomach is upset.
vessel of prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:06 AM   #1769
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monique View Post
Just like vessel, I drink coffee (lots and lots of coffee) and don't have any side affects. Hope you're feeling better, Monique!

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
It’s my Salvation, my KEY to being
Healthy, Happy and Thinner!”
Old 05-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #1770
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monique
WOE: Atkins
Day 4 and I am feeling pretty good. I am staying away from cheese but enjoying all the meat and eggs I want.
monique is offline   Reply With Quote