Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #1681
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I walked all over town looked at a couple of secondhand bookshops and a bunch of thrift shops but no pre 1990 editions
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #1682
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reta
Stats: 182.8 / 177.4 / 125
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Every morning
Kiwi, try online. I found one on Amazon. I paid a pretty penny and it is old and a little dirty, but at least I have it. Don't give up.
Reta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #1683
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I did Reta but sadly being in NZ I have to wait 2-4 weeks for it to be sent from the US to here and then out to me...
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #1684
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PinkyLee
Stats: 200/190/140-35
WOE: Atkins (2002)
Start Date: March 14th 2013
Atkins 2002

How much difference is there between the 1972 Atkins and the 1990-something Atkins. My grandmother did the 1972 version. I can still see her with a piece of bologna and cheese rolled up as a sandwich.

I know there are probably differences as far as Atkins products because they did not exist in '72' but I wonder what else there may be.

I am also interested in what any one may think of some of his other books like the Super Energy Diet.
I had no idea he had written so many books! There is a Vita-Energy book also. I would go to Amazon and grab all of them but there has to be some repetition...?
PinkyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #1685
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
I found a 1973 hardback version on Amazon yesterday! I can't wait till it gets here!!
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #1686
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tilii
Stats: 182/174/140
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 6th May 2013
Day three of Atkins '72 and loving the lifestyle.

Hi Demonica, hello '72'ers!

I was the same when I found the '73 paperback online, counted the days till it arrived then set upon it with pens and Sharpies and turning over the page corners. It arrived looking pretty good for a 30 yr old book - older than me, just! - and now is a disaster, creased spine from reading and rereading.

I read the other Atkins books as well but as I'm bedbound I didn't think I'd lose weight. I read the first post of this thread that gave most of the details and then I was sold on hunting down a copy!

But, I have no confidence that I could make the diet work. I gradually weaned myself off the carbs and onto the diet and today, Day three: I have foul breath, a dark pink Ketones strip reaction (not the purple color, yet) and have lost two pounds. Two pounds! :faints: Never, never in my wildest dreams did I think that I'd lose anything, let alone that much. I am so thrilled!

I never doubted the diet, just my ability to implement it correctly.

Mostly, I love, love, love the diet as I'm no longer hungry All.The.Time. But as I'm in induction, I hate mustard and horseradish sauce and am quickly becoming bored with mayonnaise.

Ten months ago, I had a bad root canal experience that flared up my IBS and all I could stomach (yeah, yeah) was rice pudding made with unsweetened soya milk and no sugar. That and plain sweet biscuits.

If anyone is a walking advertisement for proof of carbs piling on the weight then it is me. I've always been struggling between 10 and 11 stones in weight (height is 5'8") but now am 14/2.

But yesterday, I was 14/4!!!!

So, I'm working my way through all of the Atkins '72 thread and thank all of you for making this such a fabulously friendly place: it's rare for me to join a social group but this one is so supportive and the weight you are all losing/lost is humbling, informative and inspirational.

Lots of luck to everyone new like me on the Atkins '72. I'm so happy to have found this thread.

Good luck on your journey to health and slim bodies and if you've already achieved that then WTG!!!!!!!!! Yay!

Lots of love, tilii
tilii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #1687
Junior LCF Member

Day four and I've lost five pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilii View Post
Hi Demonica, hello '72'ers!

I was the same when I found the '73 paperback online, counted the days till it arrived then set upon it with pens and Sharpies and turning over the page corners. It arrived looking pretty good for a 30 yr old book - older than me, just! - and now is a disaster, creased spine from reading and rereading.

I read the other Atkins books as well but as I'm bedbound I didn't think I'd lose weight. I read the first post of this thread that gave most of the details and then I was sold on hunting down a copy!

But, I have no confidence that I could make the diet work. I gradually weaned myself off the carbs and onto the diet and today, Day three: I have foul breath, a dark pink Ketones strip reaction (not the purple color, yet) and have lost two pounds. Two pounds! :faints: Never, never in my wildest dreams did I think that I'd lose anything, let alone that much. I am so thrilled!

I never doubted the diet, just my ability to implement it correctly.

Mostly, I love, love, love the diet as I'm no longer hungry All.The.Time. But as I'm in induction, I hate mustard and horseradish sauce and am quickly becoming bored with mayonnaise.

Ten months ago, I had a bad root canal experience that flared up my IBS and all I could stomach (yeah, yeah) was rice pudding made with unsweetened soya milk and no sugar. That and plain sweet biscuits.

If anyone is a walking advertisement for proof of carbs piling on the weight then it is me. I've always been struggling between 10 and 11 stones in weight (height is 5'8") but now am 14/2.

But yesterday, I was 14/4!!!!

So, I'm working my way through all of the Atkins '72 thread and thank all of you for making this such a fabulously friendly place: it's rare for me to join a social group but this one is so supportive and the weight you are all losing/lost is humbling, informative and inspirational.

Lots of luck to everyone new like me on the Atkins '72. I'm so happy to have found this thread.

Good luck on your journey to health and slim bodies and if you've already achieved that then WTG!!!!!!!!! Yay!

Lots of love, tilii
Just a quick reply to say:

Day four of Atkins '72 and I've lost 5 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can hardly believe the scales, it all happened last night, first I stood on them and had lost two pounds, then this morning, another two pounds loss, then this afternoon (I'm a newbie, couldn't resist!) another pound off. So, yippeee!

I know it's just the beginning but I really thought I'd get it all wrong and mixed up so it's amazing to see this, can't see any difference yet. LOVE this '72!

Have a great weekend, '72'ers! tilii
Old 05-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #1688
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: natosha120
Quote:
Just a quick reply to say:

Day four of Atkins '72 and I've lost 5 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can hardly believe the scales, it all happened last night, first I stood on them and had lost two pounds, then this morning, another two pounds loss, then this afternoon (I'm a newbie, couldn't resist!) another pound off. So, yippeee!

I know it's just the beginning but I really thought I'd get it all wrong and mixed up so it's amazing to see this, can't see any difference yet. LOVE this '72!

Have a great weekend, '72'ers! tilii
thats great

how does an old atkins menu appear verse now?

would meat and fat be more then the 4-6oz sizes of mini meals
natosha120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #1689
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
If you read the first two posts of this thread it will become clear .The only portion limits are set by your hunger.There are exception foods which are listed The rest is up to you. There are sample menus in the second post directly from the book.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #1690
Junior LCF Member

Hi Natosha120!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natosha120 View Post
thats great

how does an old atkins menu appear verse now?

would meat and fat be more then the 4-6oz sizes of mini meals
Natosha120, I am SO sorry it's taken me so long to reply, three days is wayyy too long. I am such a newbie on the site and couldn't work out how to find your post. If there were a 'forehead slap' smiley I'd be using it right now!

I haven't weighed anything - and I bought scales especially for the diet!!!

Aleina is absolutely correct, you eat when hungry, stop when full and I would add that 5-7 small meals per day are better than just three. I am ill and awake a good portion of each night feeling so hungry - so I eat - and I really thought that would damage the progress I was making but...

I lost eight pounds in my first week!

I am so thrilled! Today is Day 9 and I've decided not to weigh myself till next week, I was a bit obsessed jumping off and on the scales, desperate for my new lifestyle to work.

Aleina, again has pointed you in the right direction, the first two posts lay out pretty much everything you need to know until you can get the book.

Lots of luck and if you have any more q's please ask and I'll do my best to find my way around the boards. That said, as Aleina proved, there are so many experienced and friendly members here that someone will always help you out. I know that from my own experience here, it's a lovely place.

Good luck, enjoy the Atkins '72, I've never been on a better eating plan in my life and LOVE it so much. tilii
Old 05-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #1691
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jeanjean
Stats: 173/169.5/143
Tilii - im right with you!! lets make quick work of this!!
jeanjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #1692
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pcaltman
Stats: 174.5/168/128 5'7"
WOE: Atkins 72',Primal, Paleo
Start Date: Working on it everyday:)
Hi all,

I'm back. Started the other day, but had a set back last night so today is day 1 I will stick to this 100%, but Saturday night I allow myself wine with hubby

Start weight 158
1 st goal 153
pcaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #1693
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CjTitus
Stats: 172/130/120
WOE: Atkins 72
Boy talk about a learning experience! I am finding what I can eat on low carb. Every time I eat quite a bit of protein and don't up my fat levels to match, sure enough I gain weight. And it doesn't come off as easy as it went on! So going to keep a log of keeping my protein level to 125, keep my fats at 85-90% of my calories. I don't have a problem keeping my carbs themselves down. Will see how I am doing for loss with keeping a log next week.
CjTitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #1694
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all,

Did well yesterday

Menu:
B - 2 eggs, 1 slice cheese, tbsp salsa
L - 1/2 cheeseburger, lettuce, green onion, 3 cherry tomatoes, mayo
D - chicken thigh, salad w/ranch
S - 1 oz cheese
Old 05-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #1695
Major LCF Poster!

Down 1 lb. Hope to keep it up Had some pb on celery last night. I guess that's not too bad. I did buy the Justin's organic PB in the individual packets so if I have a craving at night I can enjoy and know how many carbs to add to my daily intake. I am not going to eat it every night, just trying to have something to fall back on if I need.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #1696
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Natosha120, I am SO sorry it's taken me so long to reply, three days is wayyy too long. I am such a newbie on the site and couldn't work out how to find your post. If there were a 'forehead slap' smiley I'd be using it right now!

I haven't weighed anything - and I bought scales especially for the diet!!!

Aleina is absolutely correct, you eat when hungry, stop when full and I would add that 5-7 small meals per day are better than just three. I am ill and awake a good portion of each night feeling so hungry - so I eat - and I really thought that would damage the progress I was making but...

I lost eight pounds in my first week!

I am so thrilled! Today is Day 9 and I've decided not to weigh myself till next week, I was a bit obsessed jumping off and on the scales, desperate for my new lifestyle to work.

Aleina, again has pointed you in the right direction, the first two posts lay out pretty much everything you need to know until you can get the book.

Lots of luck and if you have any more q's please ask and I'll do my best to find my way around the boards. That said, as Aleina proved, there are so many experienced and friendly members here that someone will always help you out. I know that from my own experience here, it's a lovely place.

Good luck, enjoy the Atkins '72, I've never been on a better eating plan in my life and LOVE it so much. tilii
ty, i've notice a change up 3-4lbs might be water

but lost inches...soooo soo toned no more flabby but or arms...tight look leaner then i was at a lower weight

eating alot

ty
Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #1697
Senior LCF Member

yea water weight going down.....

by eating more
Old 07-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #1698
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: arb34
Stats: 222/197.8/150
Start Date: restarted 1/2/2014
Anyone still here?

I have spent the last few days reading through this thread and it has been very inspirational....only up to page 25 so far but feel very encouraged by what I have read. Sad to see that there isn't much activity on it now and hope that some of you are still out there....Hello???
arb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #1699
Major LCF Poster!

Hi I will join you

Back day 1 today for me......
Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #1700
Senior LCF Member

Great!!! And Day 1 is such a great day~~ At this point I feel like every day is Day 1 for me. Took so long to get this figured out and get it working so every day that is a loss is a great day!! Let's do this!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #1701
Major LCF Poster!

Ok sounds great.....

Menu:
B - coffee, hwc, splenda, 2 eggs, 1 oz goat cheese
L - chicken salad, mayo, celery, green onion
D - 2 1/4 lb cheeseburgers, tomato, onion, side salad w/ranch
S - 2 oz cheese, 5 pieces ham

Goal = 153 (8 pounds)

7/1 = 161
7/2 = 161
7/3 = 161
7/4 = 159
7/5 = 161.5 (tom)
7/6 = 163.5 (tom)
7/7 = 162.5 (tom)
7/8 = 163 (tom) Restart day 1
7/9 = 162 (tom)
Old 07-10-2013, 05:14 AM   #1702
Major LCF Poster!

Hi,

Menu:
B - coffee, hwc, splenda, 2 eggs, .5 oz goat cheese
L - 1/4 burger, cheese, onion, lettuce
D - 1 chicken breast, taco seasoning, cheese, side salad
S - 2 dates

Goal = 153 (8 pounds)

7/1 = 161
7/2 = 161
7/3 = 161
7/4 = 159
7/5 = 161.5 (tom)
7/6 = 163.5 (tom)
7/7 = 162.5 (tom)
7/8 = 163 (tom)
7/9 = 162 (tom)
7/10 = 160.5
Old 07-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #1703
Senior LCF Member

pcaltman you are doing GREAT!!! Just look at those numbers coming down and down. So happy for you On the other hand I went up a little bit and trying to get back down. Sticking to plan 100% and seeing lots of purple on the sticks but my metabolism is screwy from being on one diet or another for so long....years and years!!! Finally got the old Atkins book and reading through it so that should help but for now just trying to keep on keeping on
Old 07-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #1704
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Over the years I've tried other versions of Atkins, but none every worked for me. I think the '72 Atkins is just a cleaner way of eating. If you're diabetic, you might want to also get a copy of Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes solution". It's very similar to Atkins '72 except he's low fat (which I ignore) but he talks about the needs of diabetics.

While Atkins says to eat while you're hungry, Dr. Bernstein (Diabetes Solution) says to limit your protein to 4-5 oz at a meal because excess protein is ketogenic meaning it will act like carbs. Also that 3 meals a day is better than 6 smaller ones (that the diabetic community touts) because every time you eat, your blood sugar will go up with an insulin response to make it go down. The frequent up and down are what leads to insulin resistance which makes it difficult for us to lose weight.

Personally, during the first two weeks I wouldn't worry about losing weight or regular meals or anything other than just getting the carbs out of your system. Once they are out, you'll find that the appetite suppression kicks in. I ate like a maniac during the first two weeks of induction. I ate even if I *thought* I was hungry. By the end of the second week of clean eating, I was forgetting to eat. I used to want to smack people who'd say, "Oh...I forgot to eat today." Yeah...I was thinking about lunch while I was eating breakfast! Not anymore.

Haven't seen a lot of follow-ups so hoping that some of you are still here...still low carbing and finding success!

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #1705
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kristina
Stats: Pant size 22W Petite
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 17, 2014
well, can I join you? We'll be leaving for 2 weeks on Tuesday, and I won't be around for a bit, but will mark my spot for a couple of days...

Went up a bit (3 pounds to be exact) when I went out to eat the other night not showing this in my stats....

today will post my menu as I eat it because I don't plan ahead much

I do have steak that was cooked the other night I will eat first today.

Later, I'll have turkey burgers. Might have eggs for breakfast as a change, haven't eaten them much lately.

kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #1706
Senior LCF Member

I'm still here~~

Still reading and wracking my brain for what I can do better....seeing losses but not huge ones....not recording them til Monday which is my weigh in day. Keep hoping for a big one and one thing I read says to eat and especially keep the fat % up each day. That's easy to do but I keep second guessing it and feeling guilty for doing it Another things says that you will lose more weight if you keep to no carbs and keep the calorie count down too. I think that I am just going to have to keep my eyes open and do lots of daily logging in order to see what is going to work best for my system. I thought that I had gone through 'induction flu' back when I started doing the new version of Adkins...a couple of days of vaguely not feeling real good but this week I have felt really bad...backaches, trouble sleeping, lethargic...and it dawned on me last night that maybe this was actually the described 'induction flu'. Took some melatonin and slept pretty well last night but woke up super early and couldn't go back to sleep so maybe I am working into the energetic phase of low-carbing? I hope so, looking forward to that!!! So many questions, doubts and fears that I am not doing it right and I'm just really tired of not getting the results that others do!!! I want to get on with this, see some real progress for my efforts and change sizes!!! Thank you for listening to my whine today.....enough pity and on to hopeful expectation!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #1707
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
wishing all of you '72ers success.

i also followed that plan back then. my fave was 2 bacon cheeseburgers (no bun) with tomato and onion slice (with mustard)preceded by chicken soup w/o noodles. i used to be able to eat a ton of food and still lose at least 2 -3 lbs a week, with only walking as exercise.I was young then (sigh). I do DANDR now, but revert to '72 when i hit a plateau. And I practice portion control. not so young now(double sigh) Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #1708
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: newgrace
WOE: atkins
Start Date: august 2013
you are my inspiration. Truly
newgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #1709
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: spareld
Stats: 5'4 cw:142/gw:115
WOE: Keto/low carb
Start Date: August 26, 2013
finally! all of 57 read boy am i tired!
spareld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #1710
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spareld View Post
finally! all of 57 read boy am i tired!

It is a loooong thread, ain't it?? I bought the original book on Ebay over the weekend and began today.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote