Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #1561
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: floridaRN
Help

cant seem to loose any weight, in the last week, I think I am eating right, but no ketosis either.
floridaRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #1562
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for such a warm welcome, Marylouise, yes the weather is great, we are near the ocean, Port saint lucie is where I live, well I am 62, will be 63 on april 4th, 5ft 5in. ok here goes, B. 1 cup cof. 2 tlsp HWC 4 splenda turkey roll with 1 oz haverty cheese, Lunch: scramble eggs (3Whites 1 yolk) cooked with olive oil 4 pieces of bacon (no sugar or carbs) Dinner will be one large hamburger, 2 cups iceburg lettuce. every other day I have plain pork grinds, and sf jello with HWC. I did Atkins in 72, but I think you have a PhD in induction, thanks for your help.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #1563
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
Metqa~
The way I remember it he did said zero carb.

Didn't he say, as close to zero as biologically possible? In the 1972.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Atkins' Diet Revolution Copyright 1972
pg 13 {...}During the first week on this diet, you cut you intake of carbohydrates down to what is biologically zero.{...}

pg 135 [...] THE FIRST LIFE-CHANGING WEEK. Eat nothing that's not on the list. [...] pg 137 [...] SALADS: Two small green salads a day ( each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery or cucumber and radishes.[...] pg 139 [...] Heavy cream diluted with water when milk is called for in cooking...Bean sprouts for rice...[...] chopped raw onion in smoked salmon. [...] minced hard boiled egg., minced sauteed mushrooms....
All of those suggestions contain carbs, even if only minutely but they add up..
4 oz of hard cheese has 1.5g carb,
1fl oz of Heavy Whipping cream has 0.83 carbs
1 cup of bean sprouts has 6.2g carbs
1oz of chopped onion has 2.6 carbs
1 large boiled egg has 0.56g carbohydrates
1 cup of shredded lettuce has 1.6g carbs.
1 large radish has 0.31g carb,
4 slices of cucumber has 0.6g carbs,
1 medium stalk of celery has 1.2g carbs

One small salad of 1 cup lettuce with 1 stalk of celery and 1 large radish is 3.11g of carbs. two of those is already 6.22g carbs before you add a boiled egg and the 4 oz hard cheese for a total of 8.26g carbs.
And Dr Atkins didn't deduct fiber back then.

When Dr. Atkins States "biologically zero carbs" that is not the same as actually zero carbs, he allows very low carb vegetables because they , for the purpose of changing the body's fuel consumption, are biologically zero, they don't register high enough to make the body change back from ketosis to glucose burning. That's why people can enjoy a couple of salads and some pickles and olives and mushrooms and cabbage and lots of other vegetables and still be able to burn fat as if they were eating NO foods that contained any carbs because the amount of carbs total for the day is so small.

Later Dr. Atkins quantified the amount to be 20g, which is 30g below what is generally recognized as the biological cut off of 50g of carbohydrate, in order to give people a safe buffer. if he says 20 and you accidentally eat 25, you won't blow up with fat and water, because 20 carbs was "biologically equal to zero carbs" in the terms of the effect of causing the body to change.

Some people are so sensitive to carbs that even a change of 5 grams can change what their body does. and 5 grams is less than both of the daily salads.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 03-28-2012 at 03:41 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #1564

Dr. Atkins Meal Plan Level 1 Day 1

Dr. Atkins Meal Plan Level 1 Day one

Scrambled egg (1L) , 1 thin slice ham
Revolutionary Roll, 1 T butter, coffee, unsweetened, black,

2 slices of cold cut meat on 1 revolutionary roll, 1/2 T mustard, 1 salad ( 3/4 cup lettuce, 1 stick celery, 1 medium red radish) 1 T Italian Dressing , sugar free gelatin, unsweetened tea

Chicken broth soup, Steak 6oz, Salad (3/4cup lettuce, 4 slices cucumber, medium radish) with 1T Caesar Dressing, Gelatin Dessert, Tea,

Baken-ets(Pork Rinds, 2oz bag), Celery snack, diet soda

Calories - 1188
Fat 79.5g (60%)
Carbs 14.5g (5%)
Fiber 4.6g
Protein 98.2g (35%)

This was the suggested menu from the book on page 163, The menu could have more meat and fat, but according to the menu, I kept the salads small and with minimal vegetables, No egg, No hard cheese, and this is the menu for the very first day of the diet and it contains 14.5g of carbohydrates, 9.9g if you count net. This is NOT a Zero Carb plan.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #1565
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pcaltman
Stats: 175/170/130 5'7"
WOE: Atkins 72',Primal, Paleo
Start Date: Working on it everyday:)
Dr. Atkins = 4 tsp a day. (cream has less carbohydrate then milk - so don't use milk.)
pcaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #1566
Junior LCF Member

Has anyone experienced extremly dry skin? I am drinking 120 oz h2o, using co on my hands, still very dry, any ideas. I also started using carb counter and was taking in over 27 carbs/day.Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #1567

I read an article that claimed that mucous membranes need glucose to produce properly and that a low carb diet could lead to dryness in the mouth nose and skin when carbs are low. Itmight go away as you add carbs, but drinking lots of water and using a moisture holding oil /lotion should help. You might try electolyte drinks, or try putting on your CO directly after the shower instead of drying off with a towel, slather the oil on your skin with water droplets still clinging. That helps me a lot with dry skin.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #1568
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dutzie
WOE: LC-JUDDD 433/1732
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise
Metqa~
The way I remember it he did said zero carb.

Didn't he say, as close to zero as biologically possible? In the 1972.
Is this possibly the confusion? On page 127-128 he says .."Quantities aren't important. What is important is that what you eat contains no carbohydrates at all, and no alcohol either. In the next chapter you will read what this diet is, and later find recipes and menus to help you follow it."

This where he is talking about testing with Ketostix after 3 days.

WELL, I took this to mean that you don't eat anything but protein for 3 days and THEN start the Level 1 week with proteins and 2 - 1 cup salads. LOL

I am on day THREE of eating only proteins --I haven't eaten one morsel or drop of anything but protein and that Ketostix hasn't changed not one bit!!!! Oh, and I haven't lost an ounce.

Okay, so what's up with my crazy old body???? I'm trying to decide whether to just continue with proteins today and add the salad tomorrow or will it make any difference.

The GREAT thing is I am NOT the least bit hungry. I actually have to kind of force myself to eat at times.

This isn't my first time at this rodeo unfortunately. I got RA in 2001 - went low carb did great for years - weight and health wise. Life changes (spouse died), moved back to CA., etc. -- gained weight. In 2010 went back to low carb lost 30 pounds rather easily. Had foot surgery - then broke wrist --- weight back on.

I've been back on since Jan. lost about 20 lbs. (much more to lose) and have been in a stall the entire month of March. So, got out my 1972 and back to step 1 (I thought).

The only difference in now and 2010 is I am now on Enbrel for RA (other than being 2 years older). I don't know if that will inhibit weight loss or not - the Enbrel not my age.

Anyhoo, that's my sordid story.

dutzie

Last edited by Dutzie; 04-01-2012 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: added statement and can't SPELL
Dutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #1569

Quote:
WELL, I took this to mean that you don't eat anything but protein for 3 days and THEN start the Level 1 week with proteins and 2 - 1 cup salads. LOL
Well, That IS an interesting take.

He does go on to say that if, after at least five days, the sticks haven't turned any shade of lavendar and if you have been following the diet, then to" cut out the salad for a few days and see if it doesn't turn. Salad is the only significant source of carbohydrates in the diet at this point. As soon as the ketosix turns purple, put the salad on the diet again. Now you're back on the first week's diet. 128-129, bottom paragraph

So for the sake of getting a reading on the ketosticks he is not really saying to only eat protein but to follow the 1st week plan and if you don't get a reading to drop the salad, so he expects one to be eating the salad to start, even though it does have carbohydrates but he says to eat no carbohydrates. I really think he is emphasizing carbohydrates as the commonly known sugars and starches as opposed to the minute amounts in watery non-sweet vegetation.

There is a sort of cognitive dissonance in the idea that in one sentence he says to eat no carbohydrates and in the next he says to eat salad. But that is getting too detailed. Most people's bodies will switch to lypolysis with as few( or as many depending on how you look at it) as 50g of carbohydrates a day. and some peoples bodies are extremely metabolically resistant and won't burn fat even to the detriment of starving the body while still having body fat.

depending on your last meal and your activities it may take three days or longer for your body to use up it's glycogen reserves, switch to fat burning and build up enough unused ketones to even register on the sticks. And also make sure you are testing first thing in the morning when the concentration should be highest. Also, if you were relatively low carb before you might not have much water weight to release at first as protein is diuretic but only if you are retaining excess.

or your body could just be being stubborn and resistant to change for a hot second. You say you've been in a stall since the beginning of March. it might just be your body not wanting to leave that weight and trying to resist as long as possible till this "famine" is over. You don't break into the emergency bank account just because you have a little less money for a month, you wait till you see it's not to be an option. The body is the same way, AIt likes staying the same, it likes having reserves and it won't give them up if there is a chance the carbs might start coming back soon. Who is gonna win, your body's stall or your will power. ( don't you hate that kind of corny peptalk? )
Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #1570
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dutzie
WOE: LC-JUDDD 433/1732
Thanks for the peptalk. I always appreciate them no matter how corny.

I have read that section of the book a bunch of times and just find it confusing. I think I got the 3 days on just protein idea because his Level 1 Meal Plans starting on page 163 consist of basically nothing except protein and salads with the celery, radishes and some other things he lists on pgs, 136-137. So if you 'take them out' then its nothing but protein. I guess I thought he was trying to 'jump start' the fat burning with that 3 day thing.

It's not until Level 2, which is after the 7 days of Level 1, that his meal plans begin to add any other vegetables besides the salad greens.

So, I'm going to go with that - and just do proteins and 2 -1 cup salads with the limited items he lists for 7 days and see what happens.

I'm not going to let my body win -- I've got money riding on this. Me, my DD and DIL have a bet as to who will lose the most weight by June. We each put up $100.00 and I WANT DA MONEY.

It's just a new thing for me because I've never had a problem losing weight. Oh, wait, maybe that's it. The Yo-Yo thing might have caught up with me.

I'll come back and post what's going on if for no other reason just for me to see it in writing and try to figure it out. Thanks for your encouragement.

dutzie
Dutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #1571
Major LCF Poster!

metqa is right. You eat the 1 cup salad 2 times a day. Your body can take a few days to kick in. It takes me 4 days to get into Ketosis, so give it time. I am happy for all the people that can jump right in and lose 10-20 lbs in 1-2 weeks, but that's not me. Oh well, I am losing like this, just very slow and that's ok by me. Good luck......
Old 04-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #1572
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreams skinny
Stats: 263/???/125
WOE: Atkins72 (20 or less)
Start Date: Restart Oct . 2013/restart April 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaltman View Post
metqa is right. You eat the 1 cup salad 2 times a day. Your body can take a few days to kick in. It takes me 4 days to get into Ketosis, so give it time. I am happy for all the people that can jump right in and lose 10-20 lbs in 1-2 weeks, but that's not me. Oh well, I am losing like this, just very slow and that's ok by me. Good luck......

as long as it's coming off right
dreams skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #1573
Major LCF Poster!

Yep!!!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #1574
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/155/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
After much contemplation I am going back to what I know best, which is Atkins '72. I have his other books as well, but this is so straight forward and simple. I lose so slowly that I often grope for another solution, hoping for greater success. Trouble is, I am so impatient that I often quickly change plans and end up not really losing much. I have been known to actually "bargain" in carbs with the thought that I will get back on plan the next day. For some, this may work, but for me it's all or nothing.

Jumping in Now!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #1575

Here's to You, SuzeQ! Good luck with it!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #1576
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
FloridaRN

Has your hands gotten better? Did you try the CO?
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #1577
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vita oldie
Stats: 160 want to be below 140
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2012
Marylouise how much coconut oil should one take?
I bought some yesterday.
Thanks.
Vita oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #1578
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bexblonde
Can anyone recomend a zero carb menu?

I have decided to do zero carbs. Any suggestions or sample menus from people who follow this WOE? Do you use cream, cheese or sweeteners? How much have you lost? Many thanks
Bexblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #1579
Senior LCF Member

Meta.
I read some where that you ought to test at night.
This is because on waking there is a surge of something-if I can find the page I'll let you know!
The result of the surge means the ketostix register incorrectly.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #1580

Quote:
if I can find the page I'll let you know!
Please do. In which book are you searching for this info? I might have that version so I can look also.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #1581
McK
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: McK
Stats: 255.5/243.5/150 high was 264 in May
So glad to find this forum

I really think this is the answer to why this lc plan isn't working this time around. Over the years I have learned that low carb is the only way I lose, I gained weight on WW points (not to mention spending lots of $$. I lost over 60 lbs. on medifast, then gained 70+, and when I went back on it never lost again.

So this time I realized that I have to do low carb, bought the newest book--no luck at all. Started in May, lost about 7 lbs. and nothing since. And I haven't done ketostix but I can tell I am not in ketosis. I don't feel hungry, but I don't feel the surge of energy either. Just feel sick, headachey and sluggish.

I have been suspicious about the shakes and bars on the plan, and the whole forced veggies to up the carb count-I think with a lifetime of dieting I have really screwed up my metabolism and it just doesn't work for me. I am 55 and have been up and down (mostly up) all my life. I remember reading the 72 book as a teenager and it really spoke to me, and helped me with my first weight loss.

So I have ordered the book from amazon, it should be here tomorrow. But I will use the list on here and count today as Day One. I just need to see some results, I feel so miserable.

So I need to wait to day three or so to test for ketosis? And are the test strips available at the pharmacy or do I need to find them online?

Thanks for any support.
McK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #1582

You can find strips at any brick and mortar corner pharmacy.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #1583
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LosingKitty
Stats: 298/206.5/145
Quote:
Originally Posted by McK View Post
I don't feel hungry, but I don't feel the surge of energy either. Just feel sick, headachey and sluggish.
According to Dr Eades if you feel that way you need to up your fat. I know that works for me. I used to get induction flu but now I dont (everytime I restart )

Hang in there.
LosingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #1584
McK
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: McK
Stats: 255.5/243.5/150 high was 264 in May
Thanks for that, I have upped fat and lowered carbs, doing 72 style induction and so far feel marvelous! Two days and I have already dropped two lbs. and am showing some color on the sticks.

Definitely more fat just by the new choices, bacon, etc. Off to update my profile!
McK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #1585
Major LCF Poster!

Good job I am restarting tomorrow, hopefully for good.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #1586
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaRN View Post
Has anyone experienced extremly dry skin? I am drinking 120 oz h2o, using co on my hands, still very dry, any ideas. I also started using carb counter and was taking in over 27 carbs/day.Thanks
Sorry but I've just seen this.
If you have gained weight and have dry skin, are you also tired?
Perhaps you need to visit your Dr. And have your thyroid checked.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #1587
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Please do. In which book are you searching for this info? I might have that version so I can look also.
Lost this site until today!
I read about A DAWN SURGE OF INSULIN THAT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE BEFORE WAKING TO PREPARE THE BODY FOR WAKING AND RISING,
It was on a diabetic website unfortunately the thread was removed by the administrator ( fine, but as others put in links to other sites, I still don't understand why this was inadmisssable!).
The result all I can tell you is look up diabetic sites and read about the DAWN INSULIN SURGE.
Without the link back I don,t know if I read the best time as evening or I understood that to mean if there was an insulin surge at Dawn then it was wiser to test later in the day.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #1588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita oldie View Post
Lost this site until today!
I read about A DAWN SURGE OF INSULIN THAT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE BEFORE WAKING TO PREPARE THE BODY FOR WAKING AND RISING,
It was on a diabetic website unfortunately the thread was removed by the administrator ( fine, but as others put in links to other sites, I still don't understand why this was inadmisssable!).
The result all I can tell you is look up diabetic sites and read about the DAWN INSULIN SURGE.
Without the link back I don,t know if I read the best time as evening or I understood that to mean if there was an insulin surge at Dawn then it was wiser to test later in the day.
cool thanx!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #1589
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzy
Hello everyone. I have spent the last few days reading the thread here, I must say very informative. I have been eating lc for about a year now but not as dilligent as I could be. I just love the simplicity of Cheryl's DR plan from 68, so I am trying to go with that but also trying to keep my calories under 1000.
When I first started Atkins I lost 12 pounds initiallly and the carb creep got me. So I got into the, gain 5 pounds loos 5 pounds, over andover. I have definately learned carb creep is not joke! So here I start afresh, have keto sticks handy, I am day 2 of induction, weight still rising from birthday icecream cake from Monday!
I hope this board is still active
Will check for ketosis tonight....
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #1590
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzy
I am at 132 today, I would like to be 105 by the upcomming holiday season. I am giving myself 2 months to make this weight loss. My short term goal is 127 and I hope to see that by monday of next week... no cheating, induction and caloric restriction of less than 1200
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote