Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #1531
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cullicocopop
Stats: 172/154/137
WOE: Atkins - 72 some Up and Down
Start Date: birth
Hi - this is the first page of the thread - all listed foods

and all the rules - but here are ALL the foods you can eat with impunity.

Quote:
The First Life-Changing Week, eat nothing that is not on the list.
Meat: Steaks, Corned beef, Lamb chops, tongue, Hamburgers, Bacon, Any kind of meat in any quantity—except meat with fillers such as sausage, hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged “cold cuts”
Fowl: Duckling, Turkey, Chicken, Anything with wings, No stuffing
Desserts: Gelatin with artificial sweeteners (e.g., D-Zerta )
Condiments: Salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, vanilla, and other extracts; artificial sweeteners; any dry powdered spice that [I]contains no sugar
Drinks: Water, Mineral water, Vichy, Club soda; Beef or Chicken broth, bouillon; Sugar free diet soda; coffee*, tea, decaffeinated coffee
---------*Special note on caffeine and Diet Cola. Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee, which contains caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three.
Fish: All fish, including canned salmon, tuna; any kind of seafood, including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, clams, muscles, scallops, and pickled fish
Eggs: Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, omelet – any style and without limitations[COLOR=DarkRed](another NO LIMIT)[/COLOR]
Salads: Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus… green olives.
Butter & Mayonnaise Fats: Butter, margarine (head New Diet Revolution & eat no margarine with trans fatty acids), oils, shortening (not such a great idea), lard & mayonnaise (fats have no carbohydrates).
Juice: Juice of one lemon or lime
Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.
Heavy Cream: Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk – so don’t use milk)
Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage, Chives, Cucumber, Endive, Escarole, Fennel, lettuce, Olives (Green or Black), Onions, Pickles (Sour or Dill), Parsley, Peppers, Radishes, Scallions, watercress.
What Happens After The First Week’s Diet. Most diets are fixed formulas and are therefore short-termed and self-limiting. This diet is fixed only for a week. After that – because it must be a lifetime diet, it is, as variable as are individual tastes.
cullicocopop is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #1532
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ginamis
HI!!!! i am new here i love that i find a low carb forum and i hope u are all here to take the journey together!!!!!
ginamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #1533
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: joplum
Stats: S 252/G 180
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginamis View Post
HI!!!! i am new here i love that i find a low carb forum and i hope u are all here to take the journey together!!!!!
Welcome ginamis!
joplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #1534
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetCatastrophe
Stats: 285/278/160
WOE: atkins72
Start Date: 1/5/12 for NANY, 1/20/12 atkins72
Hi everyone! I hope you guys are still posting in here

I've been reading this thread and getting SO inspired by everyone's losses! I used DANDR back in 09 to lose 43lbs in 4 months, but I've gained that back, plus some, and decided to jump on the Atkins bandwagon again. I tried the new book though and OMG.....I just can't lose on it! I started on 1/5, and lost 7lbs in the first couple days, and only .2lbs since! The diet has changed SO much and the forced 12-15nc's from veggies just isn't working for me. I spent time on the forums over on the atkins site and they tell you that you aren't eating enough calories, or too many calories, or not enough veggies, or yada yada.

Despite following all the rules of the new book, I could just tell I wasn't in ketosis after the first couple days when I had my initial loss. I remember from the first time what I felt like in ketosis and yeah....it was totally gone. So I decided the best thing for me is to do the basic...the original.

I started at 285, I am 277 now, and I hope to be about 160, though I'd be happy at 175. I am 25 and 5'7.

Happy losing everyone
SweetCatastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #1535
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Hey all! I'm going 1972

That was written a year before I was born

I have to find the book, but I get the idea of what I need to be eating. I have the 1992 book which has helped me learn what I need to do, but Mary has persuaded me to do the 1972 version and I agree.

I'm not giving up my diet cranberry juice though. he says you can have diet soda, so hopefully that fits into that category. I rarely drink a diet soda so maybe this will take its place.

I look forward to losing weight and seeing all of you lose too
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #1536
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
HELLO~ EVERYONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyone View Post
I cannot find the book. Is there a website that shows allowed food???

You know I remember years ago when I did Weight Watchers...there was no points or core food.. it was all for dinner, protein size of your hand, half cup carb, cup of veggies and a small amount of butter, maybe a tablespoon.. and that was it..no free food and on that program I lost.. but I like low carb better...but I think the stricter the program the easier it is to lose...but I guess boredom sets in and a need to change..

I am so happy to met everyone. I believe you can find the 72 at Amazon.com. The book sells very cheap. I wish I had extra copies, I would send you one. Linda, she is on here at the 100 pound loss thread, sent me a copy. I am sure you will met her soon. I have heard of others that has gotten it for a dime on Amazon.com.

I did W.W. too. In the 70s I lost weight on their plan. I have regretted doing away with all my material. I know the diet by heart though. I remember it like it was yesterday. In the 70s it was so well planned out, I dropped weight easy and fast. I have nothing negative to say about W.W., but they have changed it so much, the one time I tried it in 2007 I gained doing the points. I have to have tighter control too. I'm very carb sensitive. I'm so bad the smell makes me gain!

~~ low carb is so do-able.

I have gotten bored eating lose carb. I want say a false truth. It can get boring. That is when you got to grab hold and hang on tight. You can not cheat doing the 68/72 Atkins. He says it time and time again. He was right. Cheating spins me into the worse battle I have ever fought. Had it not been for 3 strong wonderful friends I have met here I would have jumped back on the high carb lifestyle. I would be back on insulin and regaining the 100 pounds I have lost so far.

I feel wonderful. I enjoy waking up everyday. I love putting clothes on and going out to shop and met people again. I love people. I hate Marylouise when she is weak and eats that carb ladden garbage.

I see so many new faces here. I am so happy to see ya'll. If I can help you fee as good as I do I will be here for anyone all the way. I did not weigh myself when I started doing 68/72. I could not make myself get on the scales. A couple of weeks ago me and my husband was talking about how much I have lost and how much I weighed. I am sure I weighed at least 280, maybe over 300, I don't know. I have lost and regained at least a couple of truck loads since, like forever. I started gaining in the 3rd grade. Being over weight is not new to me. I will be 61 April. I can't do this to myself again. I am diabetic. I have several health issues to work on. I know this, if I regain to 300 I will die.

I will be back tomorrow. I see several that have posted since I was last here. My computer is kind of giving me a fit. I changed over to Firefox and I have a few bugs to work out. It is slowing me down a little learning to use it.

I will be back......

Last edited by marylouise; 01-21-2012 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: miss- spelled words.
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #1537
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: crazyone
Stats: 404/295.6/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 28, 2009
Your a doll thank you... after being stalled on Low carb for over a year now.. I finally switched my diet plan to a lower carb Weight Watchers...so I don't think I will be coming back to Atkins..at this time...maybe when I hit a huge stall or plateau, I may come back and do a strict Atkins...I am just hoping a stall doesn't happen..
crazyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #1538
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vlc4life
Stats: 129/124/112 5'1"
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Atkins since 2006, VLC since March 2010
I too have the best success when following Atkins 72. I've read and re-read my book so much it's falling apart. Can I join your thread? I'm looking for others that follow this WOE.
vlc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #1539
Blabbermouth!!!

Melinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyone View Post
Your a doll thank you... after being stalled on Low carb for over a year now.. I finally switched my diet plan to a lower carb Weight Watchers...so I don't think I will be coming back to Atkins..at this time...maybe when I hit a huge stall or plateau, I may come back and do a strict Atkins...I am just hoping a stall doesn't happen..

I do wish you all the best. Never give you Melinda, you can do it. It is do-able! When you said you had hit a plateau. I sure would like to know what you have been eating to be stalled for a year. I saw that happen to many people on another forum. Some people just can not lose if too many carbs are in their diet. I was and still am one of them. Think about it. Too many veggies will stall you. Fruit will stall you too. Even heavy cream can stall a person. Dr. Atkins learned that with no carbs for energy the body will use our reserves for that energy. And when one is in that fat burning mode the weight will melt off.

Every now and again I will eat green beans or celery. But not too often....
Wishing you all the best,
Marylouise
Old 01-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #1540
Blabbermouth!!!

vic4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlc4life View Post
I too have the best success when following Atkins 72. I've read and re-read my book so much it's falling apart. Can I join your thread? I'm looking for others that follow this WOE.

Yes yes yes....Anyone and everyone is welcome here. It is great to met you. Yep I have read my 72 a lot too. Don't you feel like he is talking to you. I feel like he is talking to me. I love a good read. I eat books like I use to eat candy bars. LOL~~~

vic you too can do this. It is do-able. Look at my picture.

Welcome to the thread and you have plenty of folks here on the same road of zero to low carbin!

Them rungs are my biggest battle. But they ant gona weaken my eye on the prize!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #1541
Blabbermouth!!!

STAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star73 View Post
Hey all! I'm going 1972

That was written a year before I was born

I have to find the book, but I get the idea of what I need to be eating. I have the 1992 book which has helped me learn what I need to do, but Mary has persuaded me to do the 1972 version and I agree.

I'm not giving up my diet cranberry juice though. he says you can have diet soda, so hopefully that fits into that category. I rarely drink a diet soda so maybe this will take its place.

I look forward to losing weight and seeing all of you lose too
Sweetie you have got to give up the cranberry juice. It will only be for a short time. Once you start melting, you will be a very happy camper! The first 5 carbs you add back can be from your cranberry juice. If it stops your weight loss stop drinking it again. Get back to the fat burning mode. Star you will be so very glad you did!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #1542
Blabbermouth!!!

SweetCatastrophe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCatastrophe View Post
Hi everyone! I hope you guys are still posting in here

I've been reading this thread and getting SO inspired by everyone's losses! I used DANDR back in 09 to lose 43lbs in 4 months, but I've gained that back, plus some, and decided to jump on the Atkins bandwagon again. I tried the new book though and OMG.....I just can't lose on it! I started on 1/5, and lost 7lbs in the first couple days, and only .2lbs since! The diet has changed SO much and the forced 12-15nc's from veggies just isn't working for me. I spent time on the forums over on the atkins site and they tell you that you aren't eating enough calories, or too many calories, or not enough veggies, or yada yada.

Despite following all the rules of the new book, I could just tell I wasn't in ketosis after the first couple days when I had my initial loss. I remember from the first time what I felt like in ketosis and yeah....it was totally gone. So I decided the best thing for me is to do the basic...the original.

I started at 285, I am 277 now, and I hope to be about 160, though I'd be happy at 175. I am 25 and 5'7.

Happy losing everyone

Hi sweetCat, I changed from Internet Explorer to Firefox and lost some post. I am trying my best to find out why I have lost several post, several pages. I have lost MANY pages! I replied to a post that I am almost sure was from you. But I can not find it. I went back to IE because I was having too many issues with Firefox to keep it. I may have to get someone from LCF to help me fix this problem. It will be horrible if I can't get it fixed correctly.

Was it you that brought up the 68 list?? I am gona Google it tomorrow. We are getting a very bad storm here and I am trying to hurry off line. I should have already been off. Tornadoes are all around us! We live in tornado alley.......getting off till it passes. Its here HARD!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #1543
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
Sweetie you have got to give up the cranberry juice. It will only be for a short time. Once you start melting, you will be a very happy camper! The first 5 carbs you add back can be from your cranberry juice. If it stops your weight loss stop drinking it again. Get back to the fat burning mode. Star you will be so very glad you did!
Why would I need to do that? On his 1968 list above it says you can have diet soda.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #1544
Blabbermouth!!!

STAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star73 View Post
Why would I need to do that? On his 1968 list above it says you can have diet soda.
Cranberry juice is a fruit.....
You can not have fruit on induction.

Star I have made a mistake on this thread. When I changed over to Firefox all of my setting got changed. I have not a clue as to what happened. I still can not figure out what happened.

I have a thread title Dr. Robert Atkins 1972/68. I think that is it. I also have a thread title 100 pounds lost.

I'm so confused my head is spinning!

But you can not drink it, even sugar free..It is not a soda,,,,,
Old 01-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #1545
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Cranberry juice is a fruit.....
You can not have fruit on induction.

Star I have made a mistake on this thread. When I changed over to Firefox all of my setting got changed. I have not a clue as to what happened. I still can not figure out what happened.

I have a thread title Dr. Robert Atkins 1972/68. I think that is it. I also have a thread title 100 pounds lost.

I'm so confused my head is spinning!

But you can not drink it, even sugar free..It is not a soda,,,,,
ok, well, I'm just going to stick with it though as it helps me with my sweet cravings. I have maybe 8 ounces a day. I'm still losing so that's good. I reviewed over the 1968 list and it's too restrictive for me really. I have a teenaged daughter and sometimes I have to modify things so I'm not buying double the groceries. I'm still staying under 20 carbs a day, so this is going to work for me

Thanks for your help
Old 01-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #1546
Blabbermouth!!!

If you are losing I don't blame you to keep the juice.
I'm sure you can stay on plan, even with your juice.
I didn't help much, but thanks~~~
Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #1547
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
If you are losing I don't blame you to keep the juice.
I'm sure you can stay on plan, even with your juice.
I didn't help much, but thanks~~~
you are a big help and an inspiration

I'm guessing the juice is okay for me since I'm still in ketosis. If it becomes a problem them I'll stop it.

I've been reading how some people have lost over 100 pounds with using the Atkins drinks and shakes along with their LC diet. They make me stall I wish I could have them. I guess we are all different in what our bodies respond to. sigh....
Old 01-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #1548
Blabbermouth!!!

I made a huge mistake. I am so sorry I stormed in here and took over the thread!

I thought I was on the first one I posted. Please forgive me.

Star I am so glad we met. Come visit on the 100 pound loss
Old 01-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #1549
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetCatastrophe
Stats: 285/278/160
WOE: atkins72
Start Date: 1/5/12 for NANY, 1/20/12 atkins72
Quote:
Hi sweetCat, I changed from Internet Explorer to Firefox and lost some post. I am trying my best to find out why I have lost several post, several pages. I have lost MANY pages! I replied to a post that I am almost sure was from you. But I can not find it. I went back to IE because I was having too many issues with Firefox to keep it. I may have to get someone from LCF to help me fix this problem. It will be horrible if I can't get it fixed correctly.

Was it you that brought up the 68 list?? I am gona Google it tomorrow. We are getting a very bad storm here and I am trying to hurry off line. I should have already been off. Tornadoes are all around us! We live in tornado alley.......getting off till it passes. Its here HARD!

Oh no! I hope the weather is okay! I lived in the florida keys for quite a while and got sick of hurricanes, but when I was driving back to CA I got stuck in tornadoes! It was so scary! Yes I did bring up the 68 list. I sent you a private message about it so no worries about replying right back if its storming...just keep safe!!!!
SweetCatastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #1550
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jenniferphang
hello, i have one question. If we are going for 0 carb, then why is food like eggs, celery allowed? there a a few carbs in them
jenniferphang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #1551

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
The idea is zero effective carbs. If you read the chapters about the food choices , these foods have so little carbs that you would have to eat large quantities of them before their carb counts would even register with the body. That's way small salads with things like celery and pickles are allowed.

and I don't believe he actually stated that you are to have ZERO CARBS at all, just a diet that is effectively zero carbs. Even meat tissue has some carbs in it on a micromeasurable level.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #1552
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pcaltman
Stats: 174.5/168/128 5'7"
WOE: Atkins 72',Primal, Paleo
Start Date: Working on it everyday:)
Good morning all,

I have been reading this thread for awhile and will join. I am also on other Atkins sites. I started with 72', gave it to somebody, ordered the newer book, stopped losing and stayed stable for 1 year, UGH!!!!! I just bought the 72 book again through amazon and have started. Looking forward to seeing some progress... Love this way better. It's just more basic and you lose faster. Good luck...
pcaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #1553

Gallery: vessel of prayer
Stats: 210/200/140
WOE: low carb/atkins 72
Start Date: April 25 2014 again
Day one of 72 induction , doing great
vessel of prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #1554
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all,
Got my book yesterday afternoon and so excited. Tried to stay awake last night and read, but didn't make it that long. So I am concidering today day 1. I will follow his planned menu's in the book, for the most part. Wish me luck Something's got to give.....
Old 02-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #1555
Major LCF Poster!

Day2 today. Gain .5lbs, not cool, but feel thinner. I have been doing reg Atkins for awhile so only needed to tweak it a bit. Am follow the menu's at the back of the book closely so this has to work he said.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #1556

Gallery: vessel of prayer
Stats: 210/200/140
WOE: low carb/atkins 72
Start Date: April 25 2014 again
This is officially day three coming to a close , weighed this morn, no loss.
vessel of prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #1557
Major LCF Poster!

Day 3 today, loss of 1 lbs. For the last year I have been going up, down, up, down with the same few lbs. I want to break that. All good so far. Will be making bacon and eggs soon for breakfast Have a great day....
Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #1558
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Here's a question for ya! Day-1 menu:

B: Coffee/cream
L: Hard boiled eggs (2) with 2 tsp. mayo, cucumber slices
D: Steak (6oz) with salad consisting of 2 cups lettuce, cucumber, 1Tbl. cheese, bacon bits and 1Tbl. ranch dressing.

This very fine mess totals 1150 cals, 11 carbs, 3 fiber, and 8 net carbs.

So, could I have had an Atkins shake? Also do we count net or not? I have two of the books but can't find the copy of '72.
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:13 AM   #1559
Major LCF Poster!

I count net. BUt no shakes. They are proceesed foods. Think natural stuff. Make sure the ranch has no sugar added too. Your doing great so far
Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #1560
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
The idea is zero effective carbs. If you read the chapters about the food choices , these foods have so little carbs that you would have to eat large quantities of them before their carb counts would even register with the body. That's way small salads with things like celery and pickles are allowed.

and I don't believe he actually stated that you are to have ZERO CARBS at all, just a diet that is effectively zero carbs. Even meat tissue has some carbs in it on a micromeasurable level.
Metqa~
The way I remember it he did said zero carb.

Didn't he say, as close to zero as biologically possible? In the 1972.