Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #1381
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: his_cinderella
Stats: 223.0/223.0/140
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
So, I oficially started Atkins for the first time ever yesterday. Believe it or not, I did not ever have the book until about a week ago when I got it on amazon.com!!! Over the years I just believed all the stuff I heard about the Atkins diet --- you know, like it will give you bad cholestorol, clog your arteries, etc. I believed the powers that be who said all fat is bad for you and many times I tried to go on low-fat and almost fat-free diets!!!

You can imagine where that got me! Now, after reading the Atkins '72 book I am amazed at how much sense it all makes.

So, I'm on board and ready to see some progress!
Just wanted to say welcome to Atkins!!!! I look forward to following your journey!
his_cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #1382
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by his_cinderella View Post
Just wanted to say welcome to Atkins!!!! I look forward to following your journey!
Thanks, Stephanie! My first challenge will be tomorrow night already. DH wants us to go to our country club because there is going to be a live band, lots of food, drinks... I could not find out what the menu is, although I suspect it will be lots of snacky types of stuff.

My plan is to 1. wear tight pants! 2. eat an Atkins friendly meal at home before we leave. 3. tuck something to munch on into my purse just in case there is NOTHING there I can eat! And, last of all, I will get one glass of cabernet 'cos it's nice and dry. I don't think I will even want it, but it will be OK if I drink one and then I won't feel like I'm deprived.

Today I'm feeling super energetic and very UN-hungry. I think that's the thing I liked most about reading the book. Over and over it says diets that leave you hungry set you up for failure. The Doc. said he could not stand to be hungry and that's why this WOE worked for him.

Thanks again for the warm welcom to Atkinsville '72. I am looking forward to that first drop on the scale and a new notch on my belts!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #1383
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kim7878
Stats: 218/208/112, 5'
Start Date: February 2012
Hi everyone! I'm new to Atkins and the world of forums so I hope I'm not intruding. I just wanted to say that today is my first day and I'm having a bit of a hard time switching my mind set to this way of eating but after reading everyones posts I'm inspired, so thank you all so much for that.
kim7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #1384
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: vessel of prayer
Stats: 210/200/140
WOE: low carb/atkins 72
Start Date: April 25 2014 again
Lost twelve pound to date in about six weeks. So far so good. thanks for being here forum. Hi and welcome to Kim
vessel of prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:27 AM   #1385
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaelinda
Stats: 224/217/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 1, 2010
Quote:
Kaelinda: Thanks for the welcome! I just click on mine as well. They appear as a url until I hit "submit". Then when my message appears on the thread, there is a character.
Okay, thanks! Here's where I clicked on an icon:

It didn't appear as a URL, though, it appeared as a colon, followed by the word 'shake' followed by another colon. Let's see if it appears as an emoticon when I click submit. Thanks again!
Kaelinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:28 AM   #1386
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaelinda
Stats: 224/217/135
Start Date: June 1, 2010
It did! Yay! Thanks again, Yam-Yam!
Kaelinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #1387

Gallery: vessel of prayer
Stats: 210/200/140
WOE: low carb/atkins 72
Start Date: April 25 2014 again
A quick checkin. ate a little off plan, thought i could add sugar free pudding to my woe. i was wrong. lol. back to the basics.
vessel of prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #1388

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vessel of prayer View Post
A quick checkin. ate a little off plan, thought i could add sugar free pudding to my woe. i was wrong. lol. back to the basics.
Oh yeah, sugar free pudding is mostly starch to begin with.

But once I made a faux chocolate pudding by adding lots of cocoa powder and sweetener to plain unflavored gelatin and let it set. It was pretty yummy. After the fact I poured cream over it, but I bet it would have been good with the cream stirred in before setting, cause i saw some gelatin recipes where people added sweetened condensed milk to gelatin and it still set.

I might have to try that again. I'll report back if it works.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #1389

a page out of the book

Quote:
WHY ONE DIETER IN TEN GETS STUCK TEMPORARILY • 157

problem. That's not how a lifetime problem is solved. I constantly have to remind my patients that taking the weight off is not the objective; keeping it off is.
My most effective dialogue with a recalcitrant patient goes something like this:
Q: Do you look upon chocolate (or cake, or bread, or desserts—fill in your favorite carbohydrate) as something you give up when you're on a diet?
A: Sure I do.
Q: Then I suppose you look upon it as something you do eat when you're not on a diet?
A: That's right.
Q: Well, there's your problem. As long as you look upon being off your diet as part of your future plans, you will never solve your weight problem. This can only happen when you accept the reality that if you have a weight problem for life, you must stay on a diet for life.
This diet is a very effective tool for weight control. It is proven. It is safe. And, as a h'fetime way of eating it is more effective than the calorie-restricted diet because it is pleasant and easy and you are never hungry.
But it still takes two to tango. The diet is one partner. You are the other. The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. Otherwise it's like a lazy housekeeper's broom.
It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut."
I find that a dieter who goes astray is almost always helped by undertaking a regular exercise or games program of some kind. Join a gym class. Play tennis, golf, handball, badminton. Take up bicycling, hiking, horseback riding, jogging, swimming, rowing, skiing, dancing, yoga, judo, karate, fencing. Get your friends involved with you. Set up a
Old 10-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #1390

a page out of the book

Quote:
WHY ONE DIETER IN TEN GETS STUCK TEMPORARILY • 157
[...] That's not how a lifetime problem is solved. I constantly have to remind my patients that taking the weight off is not the objective; keeping it off is.
My most effective dialogue with a recalcitrant patient goes something like this:

Q: Do you look upon chocolate (or cake, or bread, or desserts—fill in your favorite carbohydrate) as something you give up when you're on a diet?
A: Sure I do.
Q: Then I suppose you look upon it as something you do eat when you're not on a diet?
A: That's right.
Q: Well, there's your problem. As long as you look upon being off your diet as part of your future plans, you will never solve your weight problem. This can only happen when you accept the reality that if you have a weight problem for life, you must stay on a diet for life.

This diet is a very effective tool for weight control. It is proven. It is safe. And, as a liffetime way of eating it is more effective than the calorie-restricted diet because it is pleasant and easy and you are never hungry.

But it still takes two to tango. The diet is one partner. You are the other. The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. Otherwise it's like a lazy housekeeper's broom.

It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut."

I find that a dieter who goes astray is almost always helped by undertaking a regular exercise or games program of some kind. Join a gym class. Play tennis, golf, handball, badminton. Take up bicycling, hiking, horseback riding, jogging, swimming, rowing, skiing, dancing, yoga, judo, karate, fencing. Get your friends involved with you. [...]
Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #1391
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seen
Stats: 235/173/127
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: 1995!
Hi all! Just wanted to chime in here....I found a really old copy of the Atkins book, and I feel like its exactly what I need to kick me in the pants.....I've been adding way way too much legal cheating food ie. sugar free candy, "light" wheat bread (I found a kind with only 6g a slice, but eating two sandwiches a day is NOT doing the diet lol), smoothies, etc. Not only have I stopped losing weight, I've actually gained maybe 10lbs in the last month....idk, I'm afraid to get on the scale lol.

Soooo,,,,I'm officially starting Atkins '72 today! I love the simplicity of it, no negotiating or sneaking crappy food,,,,its my WOE in its simplest form....I think its exactly what I need. I'm really glad to see a lot of people taking this same approach. I do so much better when I have my board friends to cheer me on and vice versa.

Well, here goes Day 1. How are all you 72ers doing out there?

Peace and love!
seen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #1392
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamae
I'm with you all here. I've been using the Adkins website, but the new books published since Dr A died seem to have completely forgotten the diet's roots. I have a copy of the book from 2000 and it's a lot closer to what I'm reading here than the newer versions.
tinamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #1393
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charcutier
Stats: 325/264.75/165
WOE: Atkins '72 Induction
Start Date: 1/1/11, Restart 8/27/12
Hi, everyone!

Just wanted to come in and see what's up - I, too, think the original is the best way to go. The one other time I did Atkins, I did it on DANDR. But I started reading on the Atkins website about net carbs and how to calculate them, plus I started eating pre-packaged bars and chocolates and so on that gave carb counts based on "net carbs".

I fell off the wagon, and fell hard. No one's fault but my own, but I definitely think the whole "calculate net carbs" thing had alot to do with it. By calculating out most of the carb count because "it didn't count", I was simply eating too many carbs to fully convert my metabolism to ketone-burning. And that made me crave more.

Besides which, I notice that each book that comes out has more and more of what we '72ers would call "cheats". To my mind, it's nothing but pandering to the folks who don't want to stick with it, giving in little by little. Mark my words - one day, Atkins will be about whole wheat pasta and turbinado sugar. Just you watch.

In '72, no math is required. When you see carbs on the label, you don't have to calculate. They count.

And besides - on '72, I eat fresh vegetables and wholesome meats, fish and eggs. I have a little cream or cheese, but don't take it to extremes. They're condiments, not main dishes. And I feel great.

Or I will, once I'm past the Induction Flu...
Charcutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #1394
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcutier View Post
I definitely think the whole "calculate net carbs" thing had alot to do with it. By calculating out most of the carb count because "it didn't count", I was simply eating too many carbs to fully convert my metabolism to ketone-burning. And that made me crave more.
I have to agree. I stop losing and my blood sugar goes up when I start doing the whole net carb thing. I lost 70 pounds on the original Atkins and over time have found that it's the only way to control both my blood sugar and my weight. I still have another 100 pounds I'd like to lose and experience has shown this is the only way.

Aomiel

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #1395
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 242lbs am 187lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Quote:
Thanks, Stephanie! My first challenge will be tomorrow night already. DH wants us to go to our country club because there is going to be a live band, lots of food, drinks... I could not find out what the menu is, although I suspect it will be lots of snacky types of stuff.

My plan is to 1. wear tight pants! 2. eat an Atkins friendly meal at home before we leave. 3. tuck something to munch on into my purse just in case there is NOTHING there I can eat! And, last of all, I will get one glass of cabernet 'cos it's nice and dry. I don't think I will even want it, but it will be OK if I drink one and then I won't feel like I'm deprived.

Today I'm feeling super energetic and very UN-hungry. I think that's the thing I liked most about reading the book. Over and over it says diets that leave you hungry set you up for failure. The Doc. said he could not stand to be hungry and that's why this WOE worked for him.

Thanks again for the warm welcom to Atkinsville '72. I am looking forward to that first drop on the scale and a new notch on my belts!!!
Hi! Excellent plan for the evening, how did it go?? Hoping you enjoyed yourself ....

EDIT: I'm an idiot, it's tomorrow night. Ok then I'll check back ! LOL Lizzie

Last edited by easwann; 10-26-2010 at 09:41 AM..
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #1396
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: betsypear1
Reading through this thread, I realize that I originally did much better doing Atkins the '72 way. I actually have lost very little doing it the current way, even though I love eating more vegetables, but being encourage to eat the calories I'm eating and having to eat when i'm not hungry I think is just ending up with eating too much food and too many carbs. I want to get a copy of the book and read it, as I'm a little confused about where one goes after the first week or two, especially if one has a lot to lose, as I do (about 90 lbs). I am not sure I could stick to such low carb for months and months.
betsypear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #1397

The following weeks are similar to DANDR, in that you add 5-7 g of carb from what you missed the most. I was surprised that it even had suggestion to start doing that after 3-4 days for some folks. You just keep adding a few more carbs per day per week.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #1398
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: betsypear1
Thanks, metga. That's really interesting!

btw, I found a used copy of the '72 book on e-bay so should have it soon!
betsypear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #1399
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melanija
Stats: 177/171/127 5"2'
WOE: Atkins/intuitive/other
Start Date: October 28, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtapacheryl View Post
Good for you - get it out of the house. I know how hard it is when it calls your name from the refrigerator... I also like cream cheese - but would never just spoon some in my mouth ...... Now if I could just get a handle on the butter issue. I like a few veggies with a ton of butter. I really should start experimenting with spices - maybe that would cure my love of butter.

One thing I did the other day when I made SF orange - instead of the cup of cold water I substituted 1 C of Sunkist orange soda and also put in some dried orange peel that you buy in the small bottles. It was excellent.
LOL~! I would not only spoon some in my mouth I could easily eat it half a pack at a time, usually I spread it thick on slices of ham...like onion wraps without the green onion.....tho I do like those too!
melanija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #1400

Cream cheese eaten right off the block?, Heyall Yeah!

I do like to add a bit of brausnweiger though.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #1401
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: atkinsfaithful61
WOE: 1972 Atkins Diet
Start Date: December 2010
1972 Atkins Diet quiche recipe

Hi, I am new again to the "original" plan after several years. I have used the Atkins plan numerous times since the birth of my first child in 1988, everytime I need to skinny up for summer! I don't find it that difficult to follow until I have that one big "starch" lapse and I will fall into a shamelss spiral until I regain my composure! It is amazing how much better you feel eating on this plan and even though I have had a setback or two I have managed to maintain my weight within 6-8 lbs.

Here's my issue, I had the original copy of Atkins paperback book with the recipes in the back and now I can not find it. I have read on this board that some you have those coveted copies that remain and I wanted to see if someone would post the Quiche recipe that is in that book. I have seen a few recipes on here but it isn't the same and while it is loaded with fat I love it because it is very filling and keeps the portion very small. If it is here somewhere, someone please let me know where to find it or respond if you can. Thanks so much.
atkinsfaithful61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #1402
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kelgurl37
WOE: Adkins 72
Start Date: 7/13/2010
Does it matter what kind of diet soda you drink?
kelgurl37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgurl37 View Post
Does it matter what kind of diet soda you drink?
Dr. A said they must be zero calorie and not just Diet Soda which could still have a lot of carb/sugar calories. I know some sodas say 5 calories or such but I think they are rounding up on minute ingrdient amounts. For example I saw a cup of sugar free gelatin with one gram of protein, which should be 4 calories, but the label said five calories.

Don't drink anything you know makes you feel bad and you should be okay. dr. A said to avoid Caffeine for the first couple of weeks also, but some folk drink coffee with no blood sugar effects so YMMV.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #1404
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: little cow
Stats: S/C/G:237.8/115/110
Starting Atkins 72 today... probably should have finished the book first:blush:

But I've read 92, so I basically flipped through 72 looking for differences.

I'm confused though, about the "zero" carb thing... coffee, eggs (especially unlimited eggs), cheese, cream and the allowed veggies, all have carbs.... so... ?

Also, how much are you guys paying for ketostix? I've never tried them before, but $12 for 50 seems high... anway high enough that I don't see myself being able to test everyday, and several times on one day each week as the book suggests. Can I cut them up into thinner strips and make them last longer?
little cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by little cow View Post
Starting Atkins 72 today... probably should have finished the book first:blush:

But I've read 92, so I basically flipped through 72 looking for differences.

I'm confused though, about the "zero" carb thing... coffee, eggs (especially unlimited eggs), cheese, cream and the allowed veggies, all have carbs.... so... ?

Also, how much are you guys paying for ketostix? I've never tried them before, but $12 for 50 seems high... anway high enough that I don't see myself being able to test everyday, and several times on one day each week as the book suggests. Can I cut them up into thinner strips and make them last longer?
First of all congratulations for starting!
Secondly, there is not real concept of unlimited anything, I suppose if all you ate all day was eggs you'd still reach a physical limit of how much your stomach could hold, or how much fat your body would allow, or how much you'd get sick of them! So just toss that unlimited lingo out the door, eat as much as you want till satisfaction, if that's a dozen eggs then so be it. the carbs are there but the ammount you'd have to eat to get out of ketosis is so many that you'd not likely come close to consuming as much.

the medical consensus is that 40 carbs or lower will trigger ketosis after the third day, but at 40 carbs you won't likely see any remaining ketones, as they would be used up as fuel. at 20g of carbs you'll be breaking down much more fat to provide the glucose so you'd have much more ketones produced from that process and more likely they will not all be used and will be dumped.

If you focus on the lower carb and the fattier options, your carbs will natually stay lower. Salad is essentially free food, it takes a whole bag of pre-washed salad mix to make a few calories from carbs.

Thirdly, the ketone strips, yes cutting them in half gives you effectively double what you payed for. I just bought a canister from Walgreens, the store brand for 10.99 for 50 sticks, that was the shelf price and the final price, for some reason they didn't add tax. Each time I go, I cut one in half, use one half and replace the other by the time I open the canister the 50th time, I've got 50 more strips to use.

Last edited by metqa; 01-18-2011 at 11:23 AM..
Old 01-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #1406
Junior LCF Member

^^^Thank you. That was very helpful!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #1407
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: berighteous
Stats: 320's/258/200
Start Date: January 2012
Walmart sells the reli-on ketone test strips for about $6.50 or so.
berighteous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #1408
Junior LCF Member

$6.50 would be MUCH better! (LOL and then I'll cut those in half)
Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #1409

Whoa! and i was just at Walmart before I went to walgreen. I forgot to check there, so bought them at Walgreens and ended up having to go back to walmart anyway cause I dropped my gloves.

Eh, live and learn, thanks for the price check. I'll know next time.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #1410
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 243/226/150 (5' 2")
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: Jan 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by little cow View Post
$6.50 would be MUCH better! (LOL and then I'll cut those in half)
Very funny but I'll probably do it too know that you shared that helpful little hint.

Hi Everyone. I'm Shay and I'm back to my beginnings. I remember when the thread first started back in 2006 and am so glad it continues. I kept my weight off for quite some time but I think my error occurred is when I felt like I could "go off" my diet. I know its a WOL but when you get skinny and then start believing your own press. It was like I wanted to forget that fat girl because I was someone else.

Well I now realize that the fat girl within is always dying to come out and that I have to keep her on lock down in order to feel the way I felt when I was thinner. I felt great. I had energy and there were so many bonuses.

So here I am and I'm back on track...for life this time. I worked very hard and to get the weight off and I'm going to work hard again but this time I'm going to work just as hard maintaining.

My Journal: Shantony's Journal to Wholeness

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you." - Fred Devito

Mini Goal
230lbs by Jan. 31st
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote